(Topic ID: 269190)

Stars 2020 - new code for Stern Stars (1978)

By DickHamill

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 417 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 minutes ago by bcrage88
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200627_111237003_BURST001 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 9.27.10 AM (resized).png
B52D453A-05A1-4549-B553-502054FF9D87 (resized).jpeg
1AF76C42-2BE8-4EF9-AEC2-3E2BD4A21F52 (resized).jpeg
0B4F4A41-C653-4C63-A56B-B0E6DBF8304E (resized).jpeg
B8E5B69E-D9F7-45DA-9BDC-22E9A222C641 (resized).jpeg
4DC69E08-6828-48CD-8FA5-342CA11BAC81 (resized).jpeg
20200608_112604.jpg
Mega pin out (resized).png
nano port mapping (resized).jpg
20200603_172549 (resized).jpg
Wiring rev3a (resized).png
300px-I_Am_Never_Gonna_Financially_Recover_From_This (resized).jpg
IMG_3439 (resized).jpg
20200531_234239 (resized).jpg
starsduino (resized).jpg

There are 417 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 10 days ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

Some of the other bonus issues on the game are on the rollovers when you hit the red rollovers you should score 500 and advance bonus, but it does not advance the bonus just gives you 500. As well the 3 bonus advance light never comes on would be nice to have that back to light on the outlines or in lanes rotating on switch hits. Sorry never noticed this stuff before that is why the bonus counts are so low, really nice touch on the extra bonus chances I think with all of these fixes it will balance out the scoring!!!

Those features (rollovers, inlanes, and outlanes) work as marked on the playfield (when lit).
In order to light the rollover, you need to achieve 1/3 of the pop bumper goal.
To light in/outlanes, you need to achieve 2/3 of the pop bumper goal.
Adjustment 31 allows you to change the pop bumper goal to 30, 45, 60, or 90. I like games that make you work a bit in order to build bonus, so (at the very least) you have to engage the pop bumper a little in order to light those bonus opportunities. Turn down the pop bumper goal to 30, and players will get rollovers lit at 10 hits, and inlanes lit at 20 hits.

The details of all the features are in the documentation here: https://github.com/BallySternOS/Stars2020
Yes, I know nobody reads the documentation

#402 9 days ago

Ya sorry about that I am more of a play test kind of guy instead of a read the rules guy lol... Makes sense, the downfall and especially for competitive player is that they will ignore certain features if they are too tough to achieve, they will always to go the safes strategy especially ona game like this. I will fiddle with the adjustments and see if that helps in balancing the scoring and makes me want to shoot for the left side of the playfield. Right now there is absolutely no reason to shoot for the drops as the bonus collect doesn’t warrant the risk. As well with little bonus you will find competitive player will not worry about tilting out so having some bonus risk on the table is always helpful to make them think twice. Great work on all this and thanks for the explanation!!!

Quoted from DickHamill:

Those features (rollovers, inlanes, and outlanes) work as marked on the playfield (when lit).
In order to light the rollover, you need to achieve 1/3 of the pop bumper goal.
To light in/outlanes, you need to achieve 2/3 of the pop bumper goal.
Adjustment 31 allows you to change the pop bumper goal to 30, 45, 60, or 90. I like games that make you work a bit in order to build bonus, so (at the very least) you have to engage the pop bumper a little in order to light those bonus opportunities. Turn down the pop bumper goal to 30, and players will get rollovers lit at 10 hits, and inlanes lit at 20 hits.
The details of all the features are in the documentation here: https://github.com/BallySternOS/Stars2020
Yes, I know nobody reads the documentation

#403 9 days ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

balancing the scoring and makes me want to shoot for the left side of the playfield. Right now there is absolutely no reason to shoot for the drops as the bonus collect doesn’t warrant the risk.

I've added a sequence skill-shot to the drops as well. Hoping that might help. It's 14k at the moment for hitting either bank from left to right in sequence. As soon as you hit the left drop of either bank, the 7k light flashes. Hit the middle target next and the flashing increases. When you hit the right target, you get 14k. In my limited testing, I've found that the flashing light draws attention to the drops. Also, with GenerousBonus set to 2 (adjustment 34), you get 1k bonus per target and 2k for clearing, so 5k bonus per bank. And, of course, that's multiplied.
With tournament scoring on (adjustment 15), the WOW bonus and Special bonus are adjustable through adjustments 24 & 25. You can set those up to 100k, if you really want to entice people to go for the drops.

The other idea that I'm playing with is to put a hurry-up on the drops that's triggered by the right inlane. Scores & bonus of drop targets doubled if they're hit within 2 seconds of the right inlane or something. That might encourage people to try to one-time the drops from the right flipper.

#404 9 days ago

Like the idea of the drop target sequence, kinda like Centaur, you might want to consider the 5 flashing and it gives you 15k for the sequence sweep a little easier math. The drop target on the fly not as sold as it doesn’t reward good play as much and more of a luck shot that you survive the target but really great ideas!!! Amazing all the cool things that can be done to a 40’year old machine.

Quoted from DickHamill:

I've added a sequence skill-shot to the drops as well. Hoping that might help. It's 14k at the moment for hitting either bank from left to right in sequence. As soon as you hit the left drop of either bank, the 7k light flashes. Hit the middle target next and the flashing increases. When you hit the right target, you get 14k. In my limited testing, I've found that the flashing light draws attention to the drops. Also, with GenerousBonus set to 2 (adjustment 34), you get 1k bonus per target and 2k for clearing, so 5k bonus per bank. And, of course, that's multiplied.
With tournament scoring on (adjustment 15), the WOW bonus and Special bonus are adjustable through adjustments 24 & 25. You can set those up to 100k, if you really want to entice people to go for the drops.
The other idea that I'm playing with is to put a hurry-up on the drops that's triggered by the right inlane. Scores & bonus of drop targets doubled if they're hit within 2 seconds of the right inlane or something. That might encourage people to try to one-time the drops from the right flipper.

#406 9 days ago

I tried the new version. The wipes for accomplishments are a good start, but they are not enough. My suggestion is you use the very simple code i posted, and do it like 3 times. Basically turn all the CPU controlled lights on and off 3 times. It would be *a lot* more obvious. And since games don't generally do that, it would be unique, and you would *know* you did something important! Also please at the same time flash another (unused) TIP transistor 3 times too, so I can add a GI relay.

On the GI relay, have you every played Stern Ali? it has a GI relay and the easiest way to see it work is during attract mode. It's a good effect. And with stars, it would be SO easy to implement the relay. But it needs a driver transistor designated to this cause... And if you don't install the relay, no loss. It's like adding a knocker to TNA or a shaker to a new Stern game.

1 week later
#407 2 days ago

Here’s some comments in no particular order

When in wizard mode use the damn knocker not the chimes. You need to make wizard mode special. We didn’t even realize we’re in Wizard mode Since we didn’t looked up at the score displays. It’s not even worth it because we lost half the wizard mode not noticing we were in the Wizard mode

The spinner lights need to be on and flashing for the spinner skill shot. I don’t understand your resistance to this upgrade

You have to implement a tip102 unused transistor so we can put in a damn G.I. relay. Again it isn’t going to effect anybody or anything if you don’t install it. why don’t you just implement it??

Which brings us to the last thing. When you get an accomplishment you need to flash all and I said ALL the CPU control lights (and of course the new tip 102 transistor for the G.I. relay). You still can’t tell when you have accomplished things. For example when you get to super pops there’s no indication you’ve actually gotten there (besides the in-line flashings which are too subtle to really tell you’ve done anything). The flashing of the stars is a good step, etc. But it’s just simply not enough. You need to make the game do something it never did in the past. Just implement The little code slug I posted before. It’s three lines of code! Well maybe six lines if you do it twice without a loop statement...

#408 2 days ago

Clay forgot to add “thank you so much Dick for all your efforts.”

#409 2 days ago

Adam I will go back and add that to my post. Oh damn I’ll just say it here, thanks dick you’re the man!

#410 1 day ago

So, how long til we get Color DMD to go with all this sweet stuff?!?!?!?!

#411 1 day ago

hmmm.... step it up, are we????

#412 1 day ago

Hey Dick, how does option 34 work? You haven't updated the documentation (which is awesome by the way). Assuming the targets and Stars are just worth a bit more between option 1 and 2.

34 - Generous Bonus (0 - as marked, 1 - more bonus, 2 - lots of bonus)

#413 1 day ago

Here's shorthand on Option 34 (I will update the docs with the next release):
Level 0
Bonus as marked on playfield

Level 1 - more bonus
Star hits give 2 bonus
Every fifth right spinner adds bonus when star is flashing
Center drop adds 1 bonus
Clearing banks adds 2 bonus

Level 2 - lots of bonus
Star hits give (1+star level, so 2, 3, or 4) bonus
Every third right spinner adds bonus when star is flashing
Every drop adds 1 bonus
Clearing banks adds 2 bonus

cousinpookie has a DMD option in the works: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-new-code-for-stern-stars-1978/page/8#post-5802297

I'm running into a code size issue again when thinking about flashers, GI relay, DMD, etc. The code is using 94% of space. I'm trying to add more scoring options and lamp effects, and those things are using the rest of the space on the Arduino Nano, so it's tough for me to commit code for optional equipment. That's the reason that I put the sound board in its own compilation option--only a few of us have the sound board, so that feature only uses space for those of us who include it.

If I figure out a code size conscious approach that works, I'll put in code for extra hardware.

#414 23 hours ago

Okay streaming tonight we will see how it goes.

https://www.twitch.tv/diehardpinball

#415 10 hours ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

Okay streaming tonight we will see how it goes.
https://www.twitch.tv/diehardpinball

I didn't see any Stars on the stream. Wasn't chosen?

#416 9 hours ago
Quoted from cfh:

hmmm.... step it up, are we????

A guy can dream, can't he??

#417 25 minutes ago

No sorry I did try to get it on once but the guys started the game too quickly. Will try to do a. Dedicated stream on it soon for you.

Quoted from DickHamill:

I didn't see any Stars on the stream. Wasn't chosen?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Warren, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
There are 417 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside