(Topic ID: 269190)

Stars 2020 - new code for Stern Stars (1978)

By DickHamill

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 460 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern Stars Cards (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Wiring rev5 (resized).png
b275c2cdb42ad1f14d3485afc58b80fdb5c3509c (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20E4B30C-E4A5-4B79-A3BE-BB30EA4A55EA (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200627_111237003_BURST001 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 9.27.10 AM (resized).png
B52D453A-05A1-4549-B553-502054FF9D87 (resized).jpeg
1AF76C42-2BE8-4EF9-AEC2-3E2BD4A21F52 (resized).jpeg
0B4F4A41-C653-4C63-A56B-B0E6DBF8304E (resized).jpeg
B8E5B69E-D9F7-45DA-9BDC-22E9A222C641 (resized).jpeg
4DC69E08-6828-48CD-8FA5-342CA11BAC81 (resized).jpeg
20200608_112604.jpg
Mega pin out (resized).png
nano port mapping (resized).jpg

There are 460 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
#451 3 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm considering trying to pickup this route and do code and wave trigger for Star Trek.

Very cool!

1 week later
#452 3 months ago

I've added a new version (Stars2021) to the repository:
https://github.com/BallySternOS/Stars2020-21

Documentation is scant at the moment, but there are some basic instructions in the readme in that repository.
This new version only supports Wav Trigger (there's no version for chimes), since it leans on the voice prompts in order to indicate certain things.
New features:
* Award shot at the beginning of a ball, or at the completion of a level of stars gives Holdover BonusX, Holdover Bonus, Holdover Stars, Holdover Spinner, or Holdover Pop Bumper
* 5 goals to achieve (max BonusX, max Bonus, max Stars, max Spinner, and max Pop)
* Wizard mode on completion of 5 goals
* Spinner frenzy based on completion of a timed combo (inlane, right spinner, left spinner)
* Pop bumper frenzy (stackable with spinner frenzy)
* Drop Target frenzy (stackable with other two)
* New light displays

Here's a video showing the new code

#453 3 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Here's a video showing the new code

Great work on this project, DickHamill! I am truly amazed by your work.

On a side note, I have made a few plug and play kits. I wanted to offer it to the group if anyone wants one. Kits comes assembled with the newest firmware/code. Plug into J5 add a speaker and you are ready to play.

#454 3 months ago

With the new code can you disable the initial skill shot? That's the one thing I didn't like with the previous code. I felt it was such a valuable shot and hitting the roaming target often felt like it was more luck then skill.

#455 3 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

With the new code can you disable the initial skill shot? That's the one thing I didn't like with the previous code. I felt it was such a valuable shot and hitting the roaming target often felt like it was more luck then skill.

It's a different shot with this version, focused on holdover award instead of points. It gives 10k for hitting a star in the first 30 seconds after the first switch is hit, but then gives one of 5 holdover awards depending on which star was hit first.

#456 3 months ago

I assume you feel all of the holdovers are relatively balanced.

#457 3 months ago
Quoted from troxel:

Great work on this project, DickHamill! I am truly amazed by your work.
On a side note, I have made a few plug and play kits. I wanted to offer it to the group if anyone wants one. Kits comes assembled with the newest firmware/code. Plug into J5 add a speaker and you are ready to play.

Do you happen to have one for Meteor 2021? I made my own for Stars, but would love to provide one to a buddy for Meteor. I just don't have the time to make one at the current time.

#458 3 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Do you happen to have one for Meteor 2021? I made my own for Stars, but would love to provide one to a buddy for Meteor. I just don't have the time to make one at the current time.

I would need to order some parts for it (WAV trigger and adapter), but would get them out has quickly as I get the parts. I have made a couple Meteor 2021 kits for other members.

#459 3 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

By the way, if this is something you're interested in changing in Stars2020, it's relatively easy.
Search the Stars2020.ino for this line:
CurrentScores[CurrentPlayer] += 25000;
and then change the 25000 to whatever score you'd like.

#460 3 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I assume you feel all of the holdovers are relatively balanced.

No
They're imbalanced on purpose. The most valuable one is the Stars Holdover, which lets you keep your lit stars from ball to ball. To get that, you have to hit the Orange star first and within 30 seconds of the first switch hit.
The next most valuable is Bonus Holdover, which I put on Green.
On my machine, White gets hit most often at random, so that's BonusX Holdover, which then requires you to hit drop targets to make it worth anything.
The stars closest to the flippers give you holds on spinners & pop, but those only matter for people who keep the ball alive a decent amount of time.

So, I did put a lot of thought into it and played it, but I would say they're balanced relative to the way I play the game (and a few people who I've played with).

There are 460 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside