098_zpspzmzsqgn.jpg
097_zps9f9qsndp.jpg
095_zpsg9jyg5ah.jpg
094_zpssqvds2sf.jpg
093_zpsnh9a2xhp.jpg
092_zpsfmusz29k.jpg
091_zpsf5klmzxd.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have the opportunity to buy this Stargazer and wanted to see what you guys think its worth. Thanks

091_zpsf5klmzxd.jpg091_zpsf5klmzxd.jpg

092_zpsfmusz29k.jpg092_zpsfmusz29k.jpg

093_zpsnh9a2xhp.jpg093_zpsnh9a2xhp.jpg

094_zpssqvds2sf.jpg094_zpssqvds2sf.jpg

095_zpsg9jyg5ah.jpg095_zpsg9jyg5ah.jpg

097_zps9f9qsndp.jpg097_zps9f9qsndp.jpg

098_zpspzmzsqgn.jpg098_zpspzmzsqgn.jpg

#2 8 years ago

099_zpsulkrxa7d.jpg099_zpsulkrxa7d.jpg

105_zpstx1xsvpn.jpg105_zpstx1xsvpn.jpg

103_zpslmmsmf61.jpg103_zpslmmsmf61.jpg

104_zpswkjwkdcr.jpg104_zpswkjwkdcr.jpg

108_zpsfjftcdyy.jpg108_zpsfjftcdyy.jpg

a7c42edf-02e3-4250-8578-e72806ac0f3c_zpsq05whxy7.jpga7c42edf-02e3-4250-8578-e72806ac0f3c_zpsq05whxy7.jpg

#3 8 years ago

A couple broken plastics and I can see the inserts have curved, also the cab isn't perfect not that I'm one to really care about that but with the high prices I need to be meticulous.

#4 8 years ago

Well, knowing how hard it is to find these, I would say around 2500 to 3000. Playfield looks good.

#5 8 years ago

The cupped inserts will affect gameplay. You'll want to drop in a repro PF. $1500 tops.

#6 8 years ago

Yeah, I have that on my Blackout and while its not the worst thing it does affect gameplay.

#7 8 years ago

I'd say $800 for an old Stern in good player's condition with cabinet wear and cupped inserts. (If those inserts are dead-flat, then my rating on the game would upgrade to a "very good" player's condition and I'd be more at $1000+.)

But with 869 made, we are talking about "roughly 90 left" in existence... With that said, I'd jump that number up to $1700-$2000 just like I would for a Fathom in good condition in 2015 -- even though that pin is more sought after and has 4x the production numbers.

Looks like a PF swap, cab redo.
I hope the apron cleans up, and the BG is good (can't see back side), otherwise I'm not sure what is save-able from this purchase.
-mof

#8 8 years ago

The spinners are not the correct ones, FWIW. Some playfield issues and a broken plastic. I never care about cabinet issues, but this one isn't that bad.

I'd be right at the $1,500 price point. If you can get it for that or less I'd consider it a good deal. I know some would overpay for this game just to get it; so be prepared if it sells out from under you, if others know about it.

#9 8 years ago

if you decide to pass on it let me know, otherwise good luck!

and if you do pick it up, can you scan both sides of the left (2) spinner faces? those were from a williams blackout and/or joust and I'm still looking for a good, hi-rez scan of both sides of that spinner.

#10 8 years ago

With the new pfs out for $600, I would think the game is worth more than $1500 - closer to 2K.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

With the new pfs out for $600, I would think the game is worth more than $1500 - closer to 2K.

if you factor in what it would cost you to do a restoration, the $800-1200 is more than a fair price. (I, myself, wouldn't want to pay more than 600-700 for it)

otherwise, you're telling me that you'd happily pay $2000 for a player quality machine which, if you plan on restoring it (yourself) to CQ, would cost you potentially another $950/$1550 or more (with your major outlaying being: playfield - $600, backglass - $350, new cabinet - $600, stencils - $150).

factor in another $2000 to pay to have someone like HEP do the restoration for you, in which case now you're approaching $5K (or more)

#12 8 years ago

If the owner knows what it's worth you'll never get it for less than $1500. I paid $2K for mine a year ago, in similar condition, and I don't regret it. I held out for a lower price for several years, which was stupid. Star Gazer is a keeper for me, I didn't buy it to flip it, but if I ever get the opportunity to get another one cheap am I going to pass it up? No.

Mine has a nice backglass and a solid cabinet. The playfield has more wear than this one and the inserts are cupped. Bought a Greatwich playfield and I'm so glad I did...it's beautiful. At least now I have the game and can enjoy it while it awaits restoration.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if you factor in what it would cost you to do a restoration, the $800-1200 is more than a fair price. (I, myself, wouldn't want to pay more than 600-700 for it)
otherwise, you're telling me that you'd happily pay $2000 for a player quality machine which, if you plan on restoring it (yourself) to CQ, would cost you potentially another $950/$1550 or more (with your major outlaying being: playfield - $600, backglass - $350, new cabinet - $600, stencils - $150).
factor in another $2000 to pay to have someone like HEP do the restoration for you, in which case now you're approaching $5K (or more)

If the bg and cabinet are in decent shape but the pf is trashed, yes I would 2K - if fact I've done that a few times. But if the it's totally trashed, then that's a different story. I don't do nor prefer full restorations. I see that a as a waste of resources. My concerns are pf and bg, and if the cabinet is fine, I'll just play the hell out of it.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the latter explanation is the main problem with this site. its way too common here.

#15 8 years ago

The game is rare and sought after. I have one in better condition I spent 2500 for. I might have overpayed. But, I wasnt finding any cheaper. My 2 cents.

#16 8 years ago

What it's worth, and what it sells for are USUALLY two entirely different things for this title. How much is he asking for? Btw, if you pass on it, let me know.

#17 8 years ago

He said he should be able to get 3500 USD and thats over 4K CAD which is not happening. I like the game and I know its sought after, but in this condition I just can't go much higher than $2500, I think he's going to post it soon, I just saw this, its the same pin.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-stargazer

#18 8 years ago

Star Gazer has low production numbers and has relatively high demand right now. Finding it in any condition isn't easy and informed sellers aren't going to give it away. I doubt the seller would have too much trouble getting $2000 out of this one. Even poor examples of this title won't go cheap these days.

#19 8 years ago

I love the game, but there's no way I would come anywhere near his 3,500usd asking price. if he's here on pinside, he's probably read this as well and knows what everyone here thinks what it's worth

#20 8 years ago

$1500-2k. $3500 is way out of line for that condition.

#21 8 years ago

I updated my response above, since I didn't remember that the production on it was 869.
-mof

#22 8 years ago

if the production # truly is 869 - then 3500 isn't that far off. I always thought they went up to 1,500 units produced.

So in all likelihood - there are maybe 300 still left in the world.

#23 8 years ago

Tragically overrated/priced machine. It isn't bad by any means, but when 2k+ prices get thrown around for this I don't quite know why.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Tragically overrated/priced machine. It isn't bad by any means, but when 2k+ prices get thrown around for this I don't quite know why.

Same could be said for Fathom. Beautiful artwork, but way over-hyped game. The demand simply drives the price up.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Same could be said for Fathom. Beautiful artwork, but way over-hyped game. The demand simply drives the price up.

I do agree that the "buzz" has a lot to do with the price escalation.
With Fathom, I feel it's warranted -- I consider Fathom a top-5 all-time game -- whereas Star Gazer, is just not in my top-35.
-mof

#26 8 years ago

I can see 2K USD and that would be 2500 for me. Always a chance he won't find a buyer and I can grab it for that, might even go to 2750 but thats it. Thanks everyone for the help.

4 weeks later
#27 8 years ago

I made a deal and bought the Stargazer, very excited. Thanks for the advice.

#28 8 years ago

Nice

#29 8 years ago

Congrats. It's my top classic Stern and a top early SS pin sacked up against all early SS.

I got a greatwich playfield and I will say that I am a bit disappointed in the color matching. My original playfield is blue like the pics in this thread where the repro blue is lighter with an almost green tint to it. I'll take a pic and post later. Anyone else see the same thing with the repros?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargazer-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.