Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 63 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0492 (resized).JPG
IMG_0493 (resized).JPG
IMG_0486 (resized).JPG
IMG_0485 (resized).JPG
IMG_0484 (resized).JPG
IMG_0482 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).JPG
IMG_0479 (resized).JPG
IMG_0478 (resized).JPG
IMG_0476 (resized).JPG
IMG_0475 (resized).JPG
IMG_0473 (resized).JPG
IMG_20180515_155409 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180515_133255 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180515_133227 (resized).jpg
DSC00211 (resized).jpg

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 months ago

Since there is no club started, I thought I would add one to help those of us who are trying to build one, and for those who already have one.

Since finding 12 classic Stern stand up target assemblies will be impossible, what is everyone using as a compatible substitute? Can we use modern Stern or B/W target assemblies as long as they are front mount?

#2 7 months ago

I'm looking to buy one and join the club...anyone? Hello? Can you hear me? Is this thing on?

#3 7 months ago

I can't remember where I saw it but someone had made some modified roms for SG. Anyone know where to get them or feel like sharing?

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Since finding 12 classic Stern stand up target assemblies will be impossible, what is everyone using as a compatible substitute? Can we use modern Stern or B/W target assemblies as long as they are front mount?

These should work (no rivet). Of course, out of stock.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/22-1034-02

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I can't remember where I saw it but someone had made some modified roms for SG. Anyone know where to get them or feel like sharing?

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Since there is no club started, I thought I would add one to help those of us who are trying to build one, and for those who already have one.

For the most part, a standup target is a standup target. I bought some of the repro square target plastics from someone (named Bob) linked to on another thread. Then I bought some Williams units from Ebay and swapped the plastic targets out. The Williams units are front mount and have a diode installed. The difference is that the two holes in the mounting bracket are "front to back" instead of side by side like the Sterns.

The Williams units also have the foam impact backing behind the switch.

If you are going for original look under the play field then the Williams brackets will not work for you. But they will work. The main reason I went with these it that they were cheap on Ebay.

However, Steve at Pinball resource has a Bally "Stand Up Switch Assembly with Reversible Bracket" that looks like it will work. You will need to buy some of those repro targets and add a diode. The part number is: CA-10255-X. The problem is that they cost $6.60 each. The repro targets are about $1.50 each. That's $8.00 per switch. You need 11 for a total of $88.00 worth of standup targets !!

These do look like they are the "correct" side-by-side" screw holes in the mount bracket.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 6.43.18 AM (resized).png

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I bought some of the repro square target plastics from someone (named Bob) linked to on another thread.

I found his email: He is Bob Langelius.

email: bob@langelius.com

He makes (or did make) the square targets in red, white, and yellow.

This pic is what PBR used to stock. THe yellows and whites I bought from Bob look like this one.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 6.55.25 AM (resized).png

#8 7 months ago

What are you all doing for the color coded wire for your SG build?

#9 7 months ago

@sealclubber: Star Gazer (not StarGazer)

#10 7 months ago

I'm slowly moving on mine. Just about got the cabinet painted. It was a Meteor

20171007_190959 (resized).jpg

20171007_190949 (resized).jpg

#12 7 months ago

Funny....I was gonna start one over the weekend.

#13 7 months ago

Family rivals

20171015_191016 (resized).jpg

#14 7 months ago

Fixed title
Thank you. I ordered the Blue assemblies from PBR. If I can't get white square targets from BOB, I may just make decals for the targets. Will probably do that anyway. Thinking of putting the corresponding zodiac sign on each target.

#15 7 months ago

20171027_133313 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#16 7 months ago

I have one in my house. Quite OK condition. See pinballowners for photos. I had it for some 5 months. Just recently totally restored a Firepower.

Now I will start on the Stargazer

3 weeks later
#17 6 months ago

For you guys out there scratch building your SG where were you able to source these elbow brackets for the rails?

20171218_130954 (resized).png

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

For you guys out there scratch building your SG where were you able to source these elbow brackets for the rails?

I hear Dino (metal guy in Chicago) might be able to repro these. I know he makes metal parts for Spooky...

#19 6 months ago

@RedKetchup used L brackets

Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Kerry @ Mantis will make a set of ball guides if he can get a commitment of 25 sets. He did a set for Fathom recently

#20 6 months ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

RedKetchup used L brackets

Kerry @ Mantis will make a set of ball guides if he can get a commitment of 25 sets. He did a set for Fathom recently

I'd be in for a set.

#21 6 months ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

These should work (no rivet). Of course, out of stock.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/22-1034-02

I bought 12 of those when they were in stock from Marco. My originals were white but I'm going with yellow spinners from PBR and these yellow targets.

#22 6 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I bought 12 of those when they were in stock from Marco. My originals were white but I'm going with yellow spinners from PBR and these yellow targets.

How did you get yellow spinners from PBR? Thought they were out of stock on all the classic spinners.

#23 6 months ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

How did you get yellow spinners from PBR? Thought they were out of stock on all the classic spinners.

Bought them several years ago. I had to get the ones with one long arm and shorten/bend it to work.

#24 6 months ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I'd be in for a set.

Stargazer https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-stainless-steel-ball-guides

We need 25 sets confirmed for Kerry to move ahead with production.

1 month later
#25 4 months ago

Is anyone else going to attempt a scratch build of Star Gazer since the reproduction playfields have been available and other parts seem to be entering production to make it a possibility as well?

#26 4 months ago

I think ppl are under estimating how hard this is going to be. I planned on trying to build one until I was lucky enough to fine one someone built. And he said the only reason they were able to build it was because they had a real sg to copy from, plus the amount of money it costs too. It's not just playfield, harness, bg and wire guides. Not trying to bash anyone for attempting, but they really need to understand what it really takes to do it.

#27 4 months ago

i'm doing a scratch build. At this point, it's not as hard as you think. Many of the game pacific parts are made or in process now.

#28 4 months ago

I'm working on converting a meteor to one. Just slowly collecting parts and pictures to use as references

#29 4 months ago

Just updated my Google Drive with everything I've hoarded

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4eGpJj7HefwTnJKb3cxVE4xVlk

#30 4 months ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

Just updated my Google Drive with everything I've hoarded
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4eGpJj7HefwTnJKb3cxVE4xVlk

Awesome thanks man. I am in the process of collecting parts as well. I'll definitely share any information I gather along the way as well.

#31 4 months ago

I need to mention that I'm pretty sure I snagged a lot of those pictures from @redketchup's thread when he built his.

#32 4 months ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I need to mention that I'm pretty sure I snagged a lot of those pictures from redketchup's thread when he built his.

Yeah I went through his whole thread yesterday as well, very impressive and helpful.

#33 4 months ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

I think ppl are under estimating how hard this is going to be. I planned on trying to build one until I was lucky enough to fine one someone built. And he said the only reason they were able to build it was because they had a real sg to copy from, plus the amount of money it costs too. It's not just playfield, harness, bg and wire guides. Not trying to bash anyone for attempting, but they really need to understand what it really takes to do it.

It's not much different than breaking down a pin for a complete restore job.

Aside from the obvious items you would get from a donor pin, you need:

11 standup targets......................................................................................................................................$120.00

3 spinners and related spinner hardware. All available at PBR............................................................................$_75.00

3 drop targets assemblies with three targets for each assembly..........................................................................???????

3 pop bumpers ( the plastic pop rings are difficult to find. PBR has no stock).........................................................???????

All of the wiring harnesses are going to be made at Third Coast Pinball by Shawn..................................................$400.00 ??

The wire guides you know about.....................................................................................................................$_80.00

Plastics: CPR plastics are avaialbe at Bay Area Amusements................................................................................$130.00

Circuit Boards ( Alltek boards).........................................................................................................................$450.00

Cabinet stencils.............................................................................................................................................$150.00
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sub-total: ..................................................................................................................................................$1405.00

Allow for extra clearcoat, cabinet paint, incidentals, all the nickel and dime stuff you stumble into...........................$1000.00

Greatwich play field...................................................................................... .........................................$200-$600.00

Greatwich back glass......................................................................................................................................$275.00
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Total.........................................................................................................................................................$3280.00

$3280 is not etched in stone but I think $1000 allowance for all the nickel and dime stuff gives you a lot of room to play.
If you do good work it will be almost like buying a new pin.
It also depends on how much you had to pay for a donor pin.
And it also depends if you will do the work yourself or hire it done.

#34 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It's not much different than breaking down a pin for a complete restore job.
Aside from the obvious items you would get from a donor pin, you need:
11 standup targets......................................................................................................................................$120.00
3 spinners and related spinner hardware. All available at PBR............................................................................$_75.00
3 drop targets assemblies with three targets for each assembly..........................................................................???????
3 pop bumpers ( the plastic pop rings are difficult to find. PBR has no stock).........................................................???????
All of the wiring harnesses are going to be made at Third Coast Pinball by Shawn..................................................$400.00 ??
The wire guides you know about.....................................................................................................................$_80.00
Plastics: CPR plastics are avaialbe at Bay Area Amusements................................................................................$130.00
Circuit Boards ( Alltek boards).........................................................................................................................$450.00
Cabinet stencils.............................................................................................................................................$150.00
Sub-total: ..................................................................................................................................................$1405.00
Allow for extra clearcoat, cabinet paint, incidentals, all the nickel and dime stuff you stumble into...........................$1000.00
Greatwich play field...................................................................................... .........................................$200-$600.00
Greatwich back glass......................................................................................................................................$275.00
Total.........................................................................................................................................................$3280.00
$3280 is not etched in stone but I think $1000 allowance for all the nickel and dime stuff gives you a lot of room to play.
If you do good work it will be almost like buying a new pin.
It also depends on how much you had to pay for a donor pin.
And it also depends if you will do the work yourself or hire it done.

Yep that is almost exactly what I had mine calculated out to be in cost. When I looked at what the last few star gazers have sold for the build made sense. I expect it to be very difficult and time consuming, but I just plan to spread it out over a long period of time and try to enjoy the process.

#35 4 months ago

I am scratch building. It won't be easy but it is a lot easier now that people are doing the harnesses and ball guides. Also, a lot easier than my Apocalypse Now Redux.

#36 4 months ago

I'm working on a template for the backbox lamp boards. It would be a CAD cut stencil like used for cabinet painting.
So, you would just stick down on a sheet of plywood, drill and cut.
I'm thinking $30 shipped. Let me know if you're interested in something like this.

backbox light panel front (resized).jpg

#37 4 months ago

Have these files? I supplied Inkochnito with the Self Test but we have different 'MPU switch' image files. These are cleaned-up scanned images.

Star.Gazer_Self.Test.Display_400dpi_OTTOgd_Jun20-13 (resized).jpg
Star.Gazer_MPU.Switch.Settings_BW_OTTOgd_July27-13 (resized).jpg
Stern_Ground.Return.backbox.card (resized).jpg
Stern_Rectifier.decal_cmyk_OTTOgd_July9-13 (resized).jpg
Stern_Self.Test_12D-154-1_OTTOgd_July27-13 (resized).jpg
Stern_Under.Playfield.List_label (resized).jpg

#38 4 months ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I'm working on a template for the backbox lamp boards. It would be a CAD cut stencil like used for cabinet painting.
So, you would just stick down on a sheet of plywood, drill and cut.
I'm thinking $30 shipped. Let me know if you're interested in something like this.

That is one of the last challenges I was going to have to deal with. What you propose would work well and I might be interested, but lately I have been thinking that since my scratch build will not and cannot be considered a restoration and is more related to a new build that I may go with those new Matrix LED light strips Comet Pinball is now selling.

http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-20-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/20smd6.3vstrip.htm

http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-50-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/50smd6.3vstrip.htm

#39 4 months ago

I have a few Stern drop target assemblies, & maybe a few pop bumper assemblies. If someone is building one from scratch they can contact me. I will work out a deal with a playfield & glass so it all ships together. Glass ready to go $275 US shipped with a playfield. I have 3 playfields for sale, $400 US no clear coat, very nice, playfield is warped but should be flat when populated. $500 US playfield cleared but has a few weep holes on a few lenses. $400 US playfield has a few weep holes, is warped which should be fine populated & has a tiny line from bottom to top in the clear coat from hard maple ply not one piece. I'm still working on 2 & starting over on one. Seawitch playfields are next, & I will do more Star Gazer playfields in the Fall.

IMG_0002 (resized).JPG

IMG_0001 (resized).JPG

IMG_0003 (resized).JPG

IMG_0005 (resized).JPG

IMG_0004 (resized).JPG

IMG_0006 (resized).JPG

#40 4 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Is anyone else going to attempt a scratch build of Star Gazer since the reproduction playfields have been available and other parts seem to be entering production to make it a possibility as well?

I’m going to start getting the parts in the next month and follow along with you. That’s the only way you’ll be able to get one of the these nowadays

#41 4 months ago

I made a list of the measurements for the lamp and display hole locations if anyone wants it.

#42 4 months ago

Maybe we should start of Star Gazer builders thread. I've been working on put one together too and have collected most of the parts. I'd be willing to share the parts list I've come up with.

As for drop targets and pops...here are some of things to consider.

Stern drop targets and pop bumpers are pretty easy to find on ebay too. Although there are about five variations of the drop target assemblies. I'd recommend staying away from the 1st variant which are easily to identify because the switches are mounted to the bottom of the assembly. Although all variants should work. The later variants (V4?) that would appear on Star Gazer have a metal tube and a shorter spring connected to the target. These enhancements were probably added to improve how the targets drop when they're hit. It should be pretty easy to mod drop assemblies to add the shorter sprint and metal tube.

As for pop bumpers there are only two variants which are easily identified. The early pops have a metal base and metal pop ring while the later ones have a large plastic base and a plastic pop ring. The early pops are easy to come by off ebay. The later ones are much more difficult to find now and parts are harder to obtain other than the base which is sold through pbresource and others. Of course Star Gazer uses the later variant. I honestly don't know if I notice much of a difference between the two. Maybe the plastics ones are quieter and faster. I can't really tell. They are more cheaply made.

#43 4 months ago

pinballlife sells complete DE pop assemblies with the correct coil. https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4009 They have metal rings (IMO Better) but should work.

#44 4 months ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

pinballlife sells complete DE pop assemblies with the correct coil. https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4009 They have metal rings (IMO Better) but should work.

Yes, these will work. I installed three of these on my Seawitch. You can also buy them with the black base instead of blue. What makes these type of pop assemblies so nice is that the pop spoon is always lined up to the rod on the skirt perfectly. If you modify your wiring and install your pops with molex connectors you can remove them and easily adjust your pop switch at your work bench.

Several coil options are provided and you need to make sure you order with the correct coil option.

#45 4 months ago

I chose the blue base to blend in with the blue playfield. Thank you for confirming they fit. Good idea on the connectors.

#46 4 months ago

What pin cabinets are compatible for a star gazer?

#47 4 months ago

Hot Hand, Meteor, Galaxy, Ali, Quicksilver, Nine Ball, Lightning, and Catacomb.

#48 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Hot Hand, Meteor, Galaxy, Ali, Quicksilver, Nine Ball, Lightning, and Catacomb.

Also, Dracula cab and backbox will work. Since Trident came after Dracula, it should work, too, Actually, I think any of Stern's standard width cabinets should work if you are just talking about the woodwork part. I'm not sure but I think Stern's back boxes were all the same.

#49 4 months ago

The $500 US playfield, glass, & parts are sold. I have 1 more glass in stock. The $400 US cleared playfield is a super deal for a worn playfield.

#50 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you modify your wiring and install your pops with molex connectors you can remove them and easily adjust your pop switch at your work bench.

That will be offered as a variant on the play field harnesses when I get to them. It will add a little more to the cost but not significantly. I can add plugs for anything with a coil including the drops with all the switches. The only real drawback is you are adding another connection point, but the ability to unplug and remove your drop target assy to change out a busted piece is pretty dang nice.

As I am building a playfield from scratch I have a few questions as well. I have, at this time, two Stern and one Bally drop target mechs. If I cannot find another Stern one will the Stern targets work in the Bally mech? I haven't had time to examine them closely yet. And one of them came with the switches on the bottom but there are holes to move them to the back like the other. Seems interchangeable to me.

Looks like the P/F harnesses will come out around $180 plus shipping.

Shawn

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 19.95
$ 69.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside