crazing improved (resized).jpg
1st lockdown coat (resized).jpg
not glossy (resized).jpg
raised inserts (resized).jpg
terrible ribbing (resized).jpg
clearcoat failing (resized).jpg
5-32 rivets (resized).jpg
bigger rivets lower (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Im having a troublesome issue with my Stargate.

The good:

Tournament mode works well, and the game is set on free play.

Mostly all LED lights.
New shooter lane switch, sarcophagus switch, outhole switch, trough switch.
A "light" spring was added to the trough gate to keep balls from bouncing back and triggering false ball counts.

New outhole coil and ball release coil.

New cabinet flipper switches.

Flippers completely rebuilt with complete kits from PBR.

Optos checked and cleaned

Drop target assemblies cleaned and inspected.

Kicker targets cleaned and rebuilt.

All connectors in the game have been reseated, all chips reseated, V4 game ROM and V3 DISPROM installed.

ColorDMD installed with German repro "clear" speaker panel plastic.

Sound is crisp and minimal hum from the cab speaker.

The game plays fast and powerfully and is a "joy" to play!

All switch test and lamp tests are perfect.

The bad:

Problem #1:

During extended gameplay, during multiball, the game loses track of the ball count.

The multiball modes end early, with as many as 3 balls still in play.

The flippers die and the balls drain out.

The it sets up ready for the next ball.

This doesnt happen in all games, and it happens on random mutliballs, sometimes twice in the same game.

It is mostly apparent in a Ra's bracelet mode when all 4 balls are in play, drain one ball and the mode ends draining the other 3.

Again its random and can happen in the glidercraft multiball but only have 2 balls during the mode but when 1 drains the flippers die and the mode ends.

This never happens in a short game, but always happens in a long "great" game.

This happens with the original trough switch as well as the new one recently installed.

It does not seem to be a TILT or a SLAM as there is no indication on the screen.

Problem #2 (could be related to problem #1)

If I take out all 4 balls and replace them "one by one", the outhole solenoid hesitates for up to 3 seconds to fire on the first ball but seems fairly instant on the last 3.

The outhole coil is plenty strong (and its the correct coil and resistance is perfect on it). but it isnt strong enough to clear 2 balls in the lower side of the trough.

It seems that the outhole kicker might also die when the flippers die?

This is somewhat of a problem as, when the mode ends early and flippers die, sometimes 2 balls can get trapped in the lower part of the trough and then the game is unplayable until I remove the glass and manually help one of the balls over the top to the higher side.

Wall voltage is a fairly continuous 117v to 121v.

I havent done any "ground" mods.

I have gad the game for a few months and this behavior is recent.

Any insight to this would be helpful

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would sell it or burn it.

Not helpful.

#5 1 year ago

New developments:

I left the game off overnight in my unheated but insulated shop.

Temperature was 60 degrees.

Turned on the game, waited 5 mins to warm it up.

I played 2 pefect games with no issues.

I left it sit powered up for 2 hours and allowed the room to warm up a bit.

Played one game and had 1 issue of a multiball ending early.

Waited 2 more hours,, played 2 games and each had at leat one mutiball failure.

Waited 2 more hours, all multiballs had failures and the game was unplayable.

Sound like a temperature sensitive issue,

Ill do the ground mods on monday and report back.

Meanwhile I ordered a new sytsem 3 MPU board from Barakandl/Weebly off of Ebay.

There are 2 available, one from Boston Pinball and the one from Barakandl/Weebly.

Im sure that they are both good products but the Barakandl one was $50 cheaper.

It will be here next week to try out.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from JasonXMode:

I had similar issues with my Stargate in multiball that ended up coming from the optics being intermittent . Which took me awhile to figure out as they would read about 80 percent of the time. After reheating them all it fixed that problem. Also doing the ground really did help take care of the rest of my woes with gameplay. Honestly though it is hard to say for certain if it was the ground mode or other connection reheats that helped more. My machine was in very poor health when i got it and with my experience of cold connections in the past, just went ahead and reheated all weak points in the game.
Will be interested to see hear if that new MPU board helps.

Ill be doing the extreme ground mod tomorrow (cutting off connectors and installing soldered ring connectors)

My optos test properly, but one never knows what happens under load.

Id be inclined to just replace all of them at this 30 year old point in time.

One thing I did (testerday) was inspect the auto launcher and get the ball to rest on "it" instead of the tip of the shooter rod.

It was easy to replace the barrel spring and add a shooter washer between the spring and shooter housing.

This pulled the tip of the shooter rod back enough so that it sits about half a millimeter behind the launcher arm.

I also squeezed and adjusted the launcher arms so that they were centered on the ball in the playfield gtoove.

The launcher now, always makes it up the ramp with very few roll-backs.

#9 1 year ago

I was reading about how an old pyramid motor/gear box, draws more current than a new one.

Extra current draw is a bad thing in a matrixed system.

Old motors seem to draw more current if they are just "gummed" up and need cleaning.

No replacements are readily available and I doubt that the windings are shot, but who knows!

When I have it apart I will certainly silicone grease it and clean out the electrical motor with spray.

I was reading that the nylon outer caps on motors can be removed and totally clean out old "gunk" and basically re-new the motor.

We'll see if I actually do this instead of just buying a new one, down the road.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Try swapping your 6532 riots around. Does the switch one seem warm? When it's unplayable can you get into switch test to see if there are phantom switches closed?

I did look at this!

Sadly, nothing was acting up.

Its possible that the grounds are interfering with the data returns to the MPU board?

Or, its also possible that the MPU board might be having trouble "seeing" fast switch actuations, due to faulty connections or impending component failure.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I did look at this!
Sadly, nothing was acting up.
Its possible that the grounds are interfering with the data returns to the MPU board?

Or, its also possible that the MPU board might be having trouble "seeing" fast switch actuations, due to faulty connections or impending component failure.

I would like to hear about this more.

#12 1 year ago

I will have more info, good or bad, tomorrow.

#13 1 year ago

I removed the little ground board.

I absolutely agree that having the ENTIRE game running thru two little foil traces seens crazy.

Thay said, my board is in PERFECT shape, no cracks/hacks or wear at any level.

Most I can say is that the grounding areas are very slightly oxidised.

I seriously DOUBT that there are any severe grounding problems on my game.

20221114_130501 (resized).jpg20221114_130501 (resized).jpg20221114_130511 (resized).jpg20221114_130511 (resized).jpg
#14 1 year ago

Just to future-proof my game, I decided to go ahead and remove the connectors to the ground board and place them on the ground plane of the transformer.

I stripped them, twisted them together, soldered them together, crimped them onto the ring terminals and then soldered them to the ring terminals.

These ring terminals accept solder fairly readily with a drop of flux.

They are absolutely ROCK SOLID.
20221114_153555 (resized).jpg20221114_153555 (resized).jpg20221114_153726 (resized).jpg20221114_153726 (resized).jpg20221114_153826 (resized).jpg20221114_153826 (resized).jpg20221114_163011 (resized).jpg20221114_163011 (resized).jpg

20221114_164013 (resized).jpg20221114_164013 (resized).jpg20221114_162956 (resized).jpg20221114_162956 (resized).jpg

#15 1 year ago

After the ground mod I played a few games.

The game plays "more sprightly"!

Game one:

Short game with no malfunctions/

Game 2:

Longer game, no extended multiballs. no malfunctions.

Game 3:

Longer game a couple 2 ball multiballs, during glidercraft the game ended early after draining one of the 3 balls in play.

Flippers died, balls drained the game ended with 2 balls still in play.

So, as I expected, the ground mod did nothing really (except maybe playing a bit more brightly) and Im back to suspecting the MPU board.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have you been performing a switch test before and after each game to see if there are any switch issues registered?

Yes, nothing out of the ordinary,

#18 1 year ago

My thought is that it may be some sort of logic issue?

Im hoping that replacing the MPU board will have a positive effect.

I dont game any spare Gottlieb parts, so Im not adverse to picking up a spare CPU and driver board,

The new boards have a "host" of features including NVRAM and no battery.

#19 1 year ago

I really like the new power supply boards too.

#20 1 year ago

Bump

Any Ideas are good Ideas at this point !

#21 1 year ago

My new MPU board arrives today.

Ill install it friday and report back.

If this solves everything, I would be surprised!

It would just be too simple...

I have discounted current draw from the motor as being an issue due to the game losing the ball count when the electric motors are not running.

Solenoids on the pivot targets are something to be explored.

My game does not have extensive plays on it. A lot for sure, but its not beat down to rubble like some of my other project pins.

So, Im not thinking that the smart switches (or optos for that matter) are worn out yet.

They seem fast and accurate in tests.

#22 1 year ago

While waiting for the new MPU board, I was looking at the strobe lines for the lamps and switches.

Its quite a system!

However its not too bad to check the switch and lamp rows and columns at the same time.

Strobe 2 seems to be the common strobe.

Certainly, I guess a bad diode on a lamp could cause false closures in a row or column.

But, If that were the case, I would think that I would see additional lamps lighting up in single lamp test.

The game has all comet sunlight 2 SMD frosted lamps and 5 SMD tower flashers as well as some 8 SMD tower flashers for the #67 lamps.

I dont see any LED ghosting in the system at all.

I was thinking that ghosting might affect the switch performance, but that hasnt been reported anywhere yet.

And, Im not seeing any at this time.

#23 1 year ago

Im thinking a lot about power today.

Specifically the 5v and 12v systems.

Im also thinking about resistance and age in older architectures.

I imagine that pumping up the 5v via the trim pot might have beneficial results.

At the same time, Im working the problem from the bottom and the top at the same time.

My feeling is that if all switches are good, then there is a power/signal/return problem when the game is under load.

I will replace the 12v bridge rectifier and the 10k cap on friday as well as install the new MPU board, since I have the parts in stock.

Ive already replaced the other 2 rectifiers just because I had them (the old ones tested good).

My thoughts are that an anemic 5v, with low current flow would probably manifest itself as phantom switch closures and erratic performance.

I ordered a Boston Pinball 5v supply to add into the mix just for future proofing.

I will likely order a driver board next.

I really think that if replacements for 30 year old boards are available (and they actually work) one should get them.

My experience is that older electronics are not as stable as newer more robust parts.

Im not really a fan of "cute" authenticity, if the system works the same.

#24 1 year ago

Here is a small note from pinrepair.com:

"One chip that is critical to the timing of the CPU board is at U11. This chip must be a 74HC123AN or the game will not boot (or will constantly reboot). U11 must be this exact HC variety (a 74LS123 will not work)."

"74HC123AN: used on the CPU board at U11. Note this chip *must* be this exact HC variety (the AN suffix is important too so it appears). It's a strange situation where if this chip is suspect, it can cause boot up problems (or issues when the game is warm.)"

I'm definitely having issues when the game warms up.

If swapping the MPU board solves the problem then this might be the suspected failure.

The game plays flawlessly when its cold.

#25 1 year ago

I received my new MPU board.

I really like it, it boots up twice as fast, and now I can actually see the eprom version again on my colorDMD.

Oddly the first of the 2 startup beeps/squeals goes by so fast its just a slight pop.

The game processing is faster and cleaner, no more lag!

The new board has NVRAM, so no more battery!

I was going to mod my original board with a coin battery but this is way better, and again, future proofing...

Sadly this did not totally solve the lost ball issue Im having.

However, oddly, its very reduced and the game does not become unplayable after several hours of run time.

So, its a lot better! But not perfect yet.

Time to move on the the next item...

#26 1 year ago

One of the recommended mods on Gottlieb system 3 is to do something about the terrible power supply board.

While trying to track down my switch issues, I started looking at the power.

Testing the output of the 5v power yielded not so surprising results.

Im getting 4.94 at the supply board and 4.25 at the MPU. Oddly the new MPU still funcions at this low voltage.

I expected a .5v drop from the cabling and connectors.

The little adjustment pot is VERY finicky and near IMPOSSIBLE to get right.

If I just tap it it goes way up or down but not where I want it.

Replacing the POT with a 10 turn or better, is probably an ok solution but I bought a new power supply board instead.

I bought the Boston Pinball power board as they removed the POT and put in DIP switches.

Its a great set up.

The new Power supply board is outputting 4.97v and reads 4.6v at the MPU.

I clicked the DIP switches one at a time (as recommended from Boston Pinball) and now have a ROCK SOLID 5.13 at the MPU board.

WOW, this really woke up the game YET AGAIN!

My game is betting faster and stonger every day.

Im going to have to make some mechanical adjustments.

Im now getting air-balls off the flippers.

Balls are hitting the glass, and flying onto the wire ramps, or all the way into the shooter lane!

Game play is fast and furious! Ramps are a breeze to make. Hitting the pyramid from the upper right flipper is fast and accurate!

My game is getting to be AMAZING!

But, still loses track of the ball count once in awhile. This is too frequently for me.

#27 1 year ago

I read about checking fuse holders in the repair guides.

As I was checking the holders, I found an 8 amp fuse installed in the trough coil fuse holder.

THIS IS EXTREMELY BAD !

Finally it has dawned on me that this ball count and trough issue has been going on since before I bought the game.

Now it makes sense that the ball release and trough kicker coils were dragging and had to be replaced.

Something really BAD had happened in the past.

I replaced the 8 amp fuse with the 0.5 amp recommended one.

Powered up the game several times and the fuse is holding up perfectly.

Still however with all of the changes Ive made, the outhole kicker is sluggish to respond after the switch is actuated.

It can take up to 5 seconds for the kicker to respond after a ball lands on the switch.

I think something is amiss here....

#28 1 year ago

Time to look at the driver board.

After seeing the 8 amp fuse incorrectly placed.

Im very concerned about serious damage the the driver board.

Sure enough, both the ball release and the trough kicker MOSFETS (q27 and q29) have been badly hacked and worked on.

I think Im finally getting very close to the ball count problem.

The board is a mess.

I found a damaged trace on the outhole kicker MOSFET.

I added the jumper wire (with a little "wire wrap" wire) as the trace under it was cut 3/4 the way across and scored deeply. Possibly from the original repair guy trying to salvage his terrible work, or the next guy checking for problems, as I am doing.

There is no "easy" fix for the blown VIA's and overheating of the fiberglass.

Adding the jumper really stabilized the game issues when the game is totally warned up.

But it still didnt fix the ball count issues completely.

After seeing the over-fusing and damaged coils and the bad MOSFET board work, I suspect that the chips at U3 and U4 are heat damaged or compromised in some way.

You can only barely see from my photo, but the top metal edge of MOFET 27 is scarred from countless ground firing tests.

Also notable is that Q27 looks like it has been replaced a couple times (possibly searching for the problem my game has?), due to the way its been soldered on top of the existing pins of the prior "hack".

I have no complaint about this method, it has saved a ton of boards from being ruined by inexperienced board repair technicians.

The replacement? MOSFETS are identical the existing ones. I'm confident that they are "pulls" from another board.

So, a bad hack job using sketchy unproven parts? Welcome to pin-repair, lol.

I have ordered and new driver board from Barakandl, it'll be here in a week.

20221119_135047 (resized).jpg20221119_135047 (resized).jpg20221119_135317 (resized).jpg20221119_135317 (resized).jpg

#29 1 year ago

The delayed response from the outhole switch to the coil actually firing is troubling.

5 and sometimes 8 seconds, really? Lol. If a slingshot did this it would really be noticable, and terrible.

No other coil in the game has this problem.

Im crossing my fingers that the replacement driver board with solve this.

#30 1 year ago

Im still waiting on the new driver board.

Meanwhile, Im continuing to molex mechs as I remove and inspect them.

Nothing is particularly worn out, or even that dirty for that matter.

However, it was fun to clean up the 3 drop target assemblies and add tiny bits of lubrication via the super lube pen.

Cleaning/lubing the kicking stand-up targets was particularly rewarding as now they are TWICE as powerful and fast!

Tiny amounts of lubrication on metal to metal friction areas with a dry lube or a non-drying lube like super-lube silicone oil is recommended by the manufacturer.

The key is tiny amounts, and wipe off all the excess. With these modern lubricants, the tiniest amount is all you need.

I will get back on this project after the holiday.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

FWIW, I have used high temp epoxy in the past, along with new eyelets and circuit frame to repair boards burned worse than this. Good to read your diagnostic journey, and share it with all of us!

Thanks for listening to me rant, lol.

Yes, I have rivets and eyelets for this type of repair!

Thanks for the recommendation!

But, for the money and time, PLUS getting "improved" electronics that are NOT 30 years old, I bought a new board.

I lost confidence in my driver board, mostly due to over temp, over-fused ( 8 amp fuse for the trough coil) circuits from the prior experts who worked on this game (and having to replace both swollen coils in the trough).

I believe that these same experts drilled the hole in my coin door, to put in a credit switch.

It was very neatly done, but the loose wire that fell off the center kicking target, was drooped down and easy to spot.

This was the only problem that kept it out of tournament mode for free play.

#33 1 year ago

Thanks for listening to me rant, lol.
Yes, I have rivets and eyelets for this type of repair!
Thanks for the recommendation!
But, for the money and time, PLUS getting more solid electronics that are NOT 30 years old, I bought a new board.
I lost confidence in my driver board, mostly due to over temp, over-fused ( 8 amp fuse for the trough coil) circuits from the prior experts who worked on this game (and having to replace both swollen coils in the trough).
I believe that these same experts drilled the hole in my coin door, to put in a credit switch.
It was very neatly done, but the loose wire that fell off the center kicking target, was drooped down and easy to spot.
This was the only problem that kept it out of tournament mode for free play.

Just like installing the replacement MPU board, I would be shocked if swapping the driver board totally solved the problems with this game.

The outhole "delayed response" problem is troubling...

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Just for clarity sake, which coil is not pushing the ball. Sol 28 (outhole) Sol 27 (ball release) Sol 8 (shooter lane kicker). I'm reading Sol 28 as the problem child. Also assuming that you checked the coil/coil sleeve/plunger are all moving freely.
Are you sure the outhole switch is 100%. Perhaps it's not registering initially and the vibrations of the game is causing the contact to connect. Could be cold solder joint or even a broken wire. If you put the game in test can you reliably get an outhole switch connection?
This is way over my skis but I seem to recall reading that some MFRs will change the voltage on coil if it senses that the ball is not getting tossed out. Assuming it knows the ball is ready to get pushed out (switch shows ball is there) maybe the voltage is just too low then after a few cycles the game increases the voltage to the point the ball is farted out. What if you cut the wire on the coil and get your DMM hooked up to measure current. Measure the value at the inception of the event. Full disclosure, I've never done this before but I think that is how it works.
I can't imaging the rest of the game would play 100% and one coil would be freaky.. .if an MPU issue or Power Driver board issue. This feels very local to the event location.
faz

Yes sol 28 and sol 27 were very damaged (The ball release coil, switch and plunger and spring have been replaced and are NEW). The ball release seems to work properly and quickly enough.

This is indeed mysterious!

The switch on the outhole is a regular DB5 or DB3 microswitch (I have bags of those) with a flatblade actuator, mounted on a plastic bracket (I have spares of those too).

The switch registers promptly and immediately in test, and no other switches activate.

(During the "playfield smack-down thunk" test, I did get a closure on the sarcophagus drop target. I adjusted that properly when I recently rebuilt the mech).

I replaced the outhole switch "twice" with new ones thinking that maybe I put in a bad switch (it happens lol). The ones I pulled out work perfectly.

The outhole coil was heat damaged, swollen, and dragging on the coil (evidence of a problem in the past).

I replaced the coil, spring, plunger and link. I removed (pulled one leg off) and tested the diode on the NEW coil, it tested good. Then I removed that diode and installed a new "tested" IN4007 diode, just to be sure.

I havent traced the wires from the coil and the switch yet for shorts or breakage, but moving the harness around hasnt made any changes.

The NEW driver board may arrive early today. Ill install it and report back.

The next step I can do is trace the wires from the switch and the coil to see if there is any mischief going on there.

All of the boards I bought were really just to future-proof the game, with needed upgrades (the MPU and power supply specifically).

Again, the OLD driver board can be repaired, but a new one isnt expensive and I feel better about newer parts.

So, Im happy with them.

2 weeks later
#36 1 year ago

I received the new Driver board.

It installed with no problems. Its a really great and clean board! Very robust and well made.

Im happy with the new non-hacked board.

Sadly this did nothing for my odd game behaviors, its still the same and unplayable.

Outhole coil is still sluggish to respond.

All multiballs end early, flippers die and sets up the next ball in the shooter lane.

Next to check are the optos.

Ill clean and reflow the solder on the little boards as well as check the connectors.

I do have a spare 4 opto board and a spare filter capacitor that Im going to install.

Ill report back with the result.

#37 1 year ago

Going over the switch matrix.

Today Im swapping the right outside smart switch with the left one.

Given time, I will pull the wireforms and reflow the opto boards.

Right now Im rebuilding the left kicking target, and the bullseye targets since they are on or near the strobe lines for the trough switch.

The bullseye switches have capacitors on them that might be bad or missing, I will just put new ones on.

I will attempt to get through to PBR to get 5 new pairs of opto boards on my next order.

I still haven been able to get through by phone.

The optos dont seem to be a part of the trough circuit. But its been reported that extra balls can be added from a flaky opto on the ramps.

The game has 5 pairs of optos, but only 4 of them appear on the matrix chart. Also the subway opto doesnt appear on the chart.

I imagine that the subway one is just piggy-backed onto the left VUK opto since the opto board only supports 4 opto pairs.

20221209_181153 (resized).jpg20221209_181153 (resized).jpg

#38 1 year ago

Going down the switch list from top to bottom, and side to side looking for common problen causes.

#39 1 year ago

Examining the left kicking target.

I found a loose wire hanging by a thread!

Its attached, but unlikely it carries much current or signal.

Its on a return line, not a strobe.

But its important nonetheless!
20221210_164049 (resized).jpg20221210_164049 (resized).jpg

#40 1 year ago

Examining the left kicking target.
I found a loose wire hanging by a thread!
Its attached, but unlikely it carries much current or signal.
[quoted image]

I fixed it by adding a molex and crimping the 2 wires together onto the same pin instead of the brittle solder joint.
20221212_123719 (resized).jpg20221212_123719 (resized).jpg

This wire often falls off.

Its connected to the tourament switch.

This repair should help solve that problem in the future maybe.

#41 1 year ago

Since I molexed the bullseye switch and the left kicking switch (and its solenoid), I can now easily remove them for cleaning and maintenance.

Both are pretty crusty.

I always molex everything I pull off of a pinball machine these days.

Its just a better approach to the work in general.

2 weeks later
#42 1 year ago

I got my marco order.

I replaced all 4 sets of optos and the 4 opto controller board.

The subway opto (pyramid top) is a smaller opto than the rest. I didnt order the pair but they work perfectly.

During this opto replacement job I found MANY marginal solder connections.

I also took the time to rebuild all 3 VUK's.

All 3 were missing springs and needed coil sleeves and new coil stop brackets.

They are all NEW now and work perfectly!

The new optos are much faster responding than the old ones. This was a great upgrade!

Still however the game is unplayable.

Multiballs end early, flippers die and a new ball is served until the game ends.

#43 1 year ago

Today fuse F21 blew and the right kicking target coil is locked on.

I pulled out the coil, checked the diode and tested the resistance of the coil (A-5195).

The diode tested perfectly but I replaced it with a new IN4007.

The coil resistance is 15 ohms. It should be 11.5 without the diode.

Its not too bad and pretty close to spec, but Ill replace it anyway.

I orderd a couple new coils from Marco.

My new driver board evidently blew a mosfet! Theres nothing wrong in the circuit.

I put my old driver board in and the coil is not locked on.

So, I orderd some IRL540 mosfets from Marco.

Ill repair the "new" board in a few days.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I read about someone having multiballs end early on Cue Ball Wizard because of a power issue caused by the moving eight ball motor. I wonder if the glidercraft motor could cause the same problem? Just throwing it out there. This is a great thread, I am rooting like hell for you to get this game working!

I read that also, so I disconnected both of the motors and played a few games but the problem persists.

Im having positive results by making extreme adjustments to the trough switch.

One thing I noticed is that the "new" trough switch's spring tension is much "lighter" than the original switch.

Its extremely sensitive. It can be triggered by "thunking" the playfield.

Since I have gone thru the entire game now, and fixed dozens of problems that I wasnt aware of, the game plays FAST and powerful !

De-bouncing the trough switch seems to be the last item to solve.

#46 1 year ago

I put the old trough switch back in yesterday and had positive results.

The game played perfectly until the Ra's temple mode.

This is a 4 ball multiball.

With the ball trough fully emptied.

The mode ended early with 1 ball still in play, flippers died, ball drained, next ball set up in the shooter lane.

#47 1 year ago

Im going to rig up a detent for the trough switch to de-bounce it a little and see if it has a positive result.

Oddly, for the moment, only the Ra's temple mode is ending early.

The final 7 segment mode did not end early.

Im running version 4 of the game ROM right now.

#48 1 year ago

Yesterday I replaced the Right Outlane "Smart Switch" as it was last on the switch column that includes the trough switch.

It did not solve the problem.

So, as of now, all related switches (plus a lot more) have been replaced. As well as several "out of spec" coils.

#50 1 year ago

Yestereday the backbox "Rope Light" stopped working.

It was a simple fix.

The top side of the far right resister on the light insert panel was loose and had become unsoldered from the heat.

It was very oxidized. Some cleaning with a fiberglass brush, flux and resoldering, fixed it quickly.

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Maybe try removing the Ra's temple lamp? I've read lamp issues can cause weird stuff.

Thats a great Idea!

Since the lamps and switches use the same strobe lines, its certainly a possiblility!

Ill look at it today.

#52 1 year ago

I had the idea to de-bounce the trough switch to see if it had a positive effect.

20221229_103121 (resized).jpg20221229_103121 (resized).jpg
#53 1 year ago

I had the idea to de-bounce the trough switch to see if it had a positive effect.[quoted image]

De-bouncing the switch limits the time that the switch can be actuated as well as insuring no false mechanical hits.

The extreme bend in the front edge was to keep the actuator in-line with the balls to avoid a secondary switch closure from balls bouncing back.

This had a VERY positive effect.

Most multiballs work as they are supposed to.

Ra's temple 4 ball multiball ended early with 1 ball still in play.

Any 4 ball multiball will end early.

The Glider 3 ball mutiball will end early 30% of the time.

Next step is to debounce the switch electronically.

#54 1 year ago

To completely eliminate the possibility of having 2 bad trough switches (the original plus the new one I bought), I built a new one out of a spare outhole switch.
Being a completely different switch and having a much stronger spring in it is a positive.
20221229_120044 (resized).jpg20221229_120044 (resized).jpg

#55 1 year ago

To completely eliminate the possibility of having 2 bad trough switches, I built a new one out of a spare outhole switch.
Being a completely different switch and having a much stronger spring in it is a positive.
[quoted image]

Sadly this did not solve my issue at all.

It actually worked extremely well but with out the foam de-bouncer, games are unplayable.

#56 1 year ago

Sadly this did not solve my issue at all.
It actually worked extremely well but with out the foam de-bouncer, games are unplayable.

I decided to add an electronic debouncer to my test switch to "emulate" the foam that I put on the original switch.

A simple R-C (resistor+capacitor) circuit works well for this. The capacitor holds down the signal for a little while, the resister drains the capacitor to get it ready for the next switch actuation.

Similar setups are the staple of pinball, you see it all the time over the generations

It worked perfectly, and as well as the foam applied to the original switch.

Sadly however, its not 100% and STILL there are multiballs ending early. Although not as much as without the de-bouncer.
20221229_141741 (resized).jpg20221229_141741 (resized).jpg

#57 1 year ago

Why am I debouncing a switch?

Why does de-bouncing the switch have a positive effect?

Why do all the other system 3 games "NOT" have to have a single switch de-bouncer?

Getting multiple switch closures and extreme switch sensitivity lead me to see that the whole game possibly needs de-bouncing.

This would mean that the de-bouncing parameters in the existing code are being pushed aside do to an electronic problem.

I think the only thing that would do this is, "DC ripple".

DC ripple in the CPU 5v as well as the switch matrix.

I replaced the 12v bridge rectifier early on. This didnt solve the issue.

I did "NOT" replace the 10,000 mfd filter capacitor for the 12v bridge.

The 10,000 capacitor is there to specifically address DC ripple and a host of problems associated with partially rectified AC power.

Extra pulses from DC ripple would absolutely fool the CPU that there was a switch closure, a phantom switch closure, or a double closure from a single actuation.

This may account for the long time it takes for the outhole coil to respond when balls drain.

Extra pulses make it hard for the CPU to recognize that the switch was pressed.

System 3 games have a software detent so that if a coil is machine gunning, it will disable the coil until you power down the game and re-boot it.

Im curious if this effects a switch that pulses wildly?

#58 1 year ago

I dont have a 10,000 mfd 25v capacitor in stock.

So, I can put in a 15,000 mfd 35v instead.

The rule of thumb is that you can go up as much as 100% in mfd value, and anything higher in voltage.

You just cant go lower by much. Plus or minus 10% is the specification.

Worst case scenario is that it will smooth out the voltage a little more and last longer.

And possibly not solve my problem.

I have a box of 15,000 mfd snap ins, this will be just fine.
20221230_105355 (resized).jpg20221230_105355 (resized).jpg20221230_105447 (resized).jpg20221230_105447 (resized).jpg

#59 1 year ago

Since my game worked perfectly well for months, and got progressively worse until the game is unplayable, It sounds and feels, like a failing electronic component.

I have replaced:

CPU board
Power supplu board
Driver board
All 3 bridge rectifiers (replaced with 1000v versions for durability)
Diode board
Opto board plus 4 sets of optos
Playfield filter board
DMD display (replaced wth colorDMD LCD version)
Leaf switches
Smart Switches
Rope light
Coils
Coil sleeves
New springs for all plungers and drop targets.
Drop targets totally cleaned and rebuilt.
Flipper complete kits with coils and bats plus flipper shafts.
Outhole switches, coils and plungers for the outhole and autolauncher.
New coil stop Z brackets, plungers sleeves and diodes for all the mechs I rebuilt.

The game came with Comet frosted 2smd LED's pretty much throughout. I added some 5smd tower flashers for the burnt out #67 bulbs and repaired a couple sketchy 3 and 4 lamp boards that had cracked sockets.

Extreme ground mods are done.

I also Molexed every mech and assembly that I took out for easier servicing.

I have also found VERY numerous sketchy wire connections, over fusing, old 1st gen ROM, and over-all light corrosion that needed some TLC and lubrication.

The game play is fast and POWERFUL!

Its super easy to make the ramps, the ball action is lightning fast!

This is a best playing Stargate I have ever seen.

It plays pretty much like a brand new game.

All of this work is part of the regular restoration process that I do on all of my games, so its not anything more than another resto or out of the ordinary for me.

Next steps will likely be a playfield swap and possibly cabinet refresh and plate all the brass pieces.

Hopefully I can get the mutiball problem sorted out and play the game a bit before the official tear down.

#60 1 year ago

15000 mfd filter capacitor is installed and works perfectly as expected.

These capacitors are held on with a nylon tie and double sided foam tape.
The tape was dried out. I used a little strip of 3/8" gray VHB tape on the reinstall. It will last longer than the foam.

This is actually an upgrade and should be better than the stock one.
new 15000 cap (resized).jpgnew 15000 cap (resized).jpg

#61 1 year ago

POSITIVE RESULT ! ! !

I played 4 games with the new filter capacitor, and all of the muliballs finished properly.

I cant say yet if its totally fixed, as I want to put the proper switch back in that has no R-C mod on it.

This will be the definitive test as the game was unplayable with an unmodified switch.

I can do this in a couple days, after the holiday.

Crossing my fingers !

#62 1 year ago

Some observations from the 4 test games I played.

1) Left upkicker is sometimes taking a couple of tries to get the ball up and into the wireform.
It didnt do this prior to rebuilding the mech.

2) 2 balls ended up on the outhole.

On issue 1:

When rebuilding the mech and replacing the optos, the plunger spring was smashed, rusted and completely destroyed.

I replaced the missing/ruined spring with the correct one.
This actually gives the coil slightly less power than it had without a spring.

Its actually somewhat normal for the left upkicker to struggle a bit.

The official solution from pinrepair and the pinwiki is to put in a stronger coil to fix it.

I think that I will instead pull off enough coils of wire off the coil to lower the resistance 10-15%.

Less wire = lower induction = more power! measuring the resistance and windings of the coil is a good guide as to its over-all power.

In my experience, removing 50 to 100 turns of wire, or so, will increase power 10% or more depending on the coil and thickness of the wire. Gottlieb coils use very fine wire so It might take removing a few more turns to achieve my desired outcome.

Ill report back on the new resistance measurement that I arrive at.

#63 1 year ago

Issue #2:

Its well known that the system 3 outhole system is anemic at best.

It barely has enough power to kick a single ball over the trough hump to the resting area.

If you get 2 balls on the outhole side, the mech will clear them, but it will take many tries to do it.

This was further evidenced by abnormal wear of the outhole kicker and overheated "bulging" coil on my game.

If you get 3 balls on the outhole side, the mech will not clear them and the game will be out of service until they are manually cleared.

I think that this is a common problem, as I see a lot of system 3 games with an incorrect williams 23-800 coil installed.

Operators know that this coil is commonly used on most Bally/Williams outhole kickers and is the workhorse for this application plus they usually have them on hand as they are used a lot as a generic coil.

The problem with the 23-800 coil is that its way too powerful and balls get forced out of the trough and into the shooter lane.

So, though this "fix" works, its not quite right.

What happens when you have 2 or 3 balls drain at exactly the same time?

Sometimes the ball will "not" make it over the hump and roll back down to the outhole switch. This activity does not affect the ball count and the ball will be simply kicked up again .

However while a ball is rolled up the trough, another ball can immediately roll onto the switch at the bottom.

This can lead to 3 balls in the outhole side of the trough.

I think that when the game is under a heavy load (long multiball), there is less power available to fire the outhole coil enough to work 100%.

A coil upgrade capacitor system is used on API and Spooky games to store some energy for this exact problem.

On my API Houdini it has worked wonders to give just a little more stored energy when needed.

I see that there is a small, under playfield filter capacitor board (that I replaced) on system 3 games.

There ia not a lot of documentation of why its there. Is it there to prop up performance?

Im curious that if I replace it with the 4 capacitor Spooky board, will this anemic behavior improve or be solved?

It would be a good test and possibly solve the fade problems that system 3 games have on extended multiballs.

It may also solve the weak left upkicker issues.

I can also just remove enough wire off of the existing coil to get it a bit more robust, but Im also interested in a performance upgrade over the whole game.

Ill have to look at the schematic to see what the filter capacitor board is doing.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from carvindc200:

I can't believe the multiball problem hasn't been fixed!? This is a nightmare!

Replacing the 12v filter cap had made the game go from UNPLAYABLE to VERY playable.

Without using an osciloscope to go into it in depth and visually capture the rough voltage, I made the right call.

The game is vastly improved, but still can be annoying.

That said, Im now looking at the 33000 mfd cap to stabilize the lighting circuits.

Since the light matrix and switch matrix share the same strobe lines, it seems like a good Idea to go ahead and replace the 33000 mfd cap at this point.

Bad/dirty/rough power in the lighting strobes will also negatively affect the switches.

They are only $6 on amazon+ shipping (cheaper than $17 plus $9 at marco).

The game loses count on a multiball only on long games, or only on a super long multiball.

Interestingly, multiballs that end early are now random and seem to be related to their duration other than the actual mode.

Careful adjustments to the trough switch also has a positive affect, but isnt perfect.

33000 cap comes in a couple days.

Im hoping it has a further positive affect.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from carvindc200:

I was just thinking that you've got to have switch/lighting matrix problem. Good luck and I'm super interested in your findings!

The other capacitor arrived today.

Im hoping to install it tomorrow if it isnt too busy at my shop.

Since I replaced everything on the top (all the pc boards) and the bottom (all the bridge rectifiers and the EXTREME ground mods), and replaced all the affected switches and connectors,

The issue should be dirty power that can be caused by a variety of things with the switches and lamps sharing the same strobe lines.

Basically the probelm is related to strobe 2, or the whole game if its DC ripple. Strobe 2 is common to all of the related switches, and a few of the lamps.

I have inspected all of the lamps and lamp boards on strobe 2. They all seem in good condition, with no glaring problems.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from carvindc200:

It has to be something with the lamps/switches and their power and that cap. I cant believe all that you've been through and time spent and money and this thing still is fighting you. I'm confident in your new cap as this is nearly all there is left. After this... you start changing lamps sockets AND switches, yeah? Good luck!

All of the affected switches have been replaced as well as a bunch of other ones that just seemed old and worn.

The pyramid lamps might be suspect.

But in single lamp test, in a darkened room, there is no ghosting or odd behavior on any of the lamps.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

also, are you sure you don't have a flasher issue? Flashers usually only go off during multiball. especially sandstorm.

Ill take a look at the flashers, it sounds like a good idea.

With a new driver board and a new CPU board and new connectors, as well as a ton of new switches, The problem is getting narrowed down.

Pulling out the flasher bulbs might have a positive effect!

Thanks for this!

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

make sure they are the right kind as well. I've found a lot of versions of bulbs in gottliebs and they use specific ones. 87's? I forgot it's been awhile.

Gottlieb uses #67 flasher bulbs. They are more durable than the #906 ones.

Most of my flashers have been changed to 5smd tower flashers.

All of my regular bulbs have been changed to 2smd fosted sunlight.

I did have a question of whether changing to LED's disrupts the strobe lines or not,

The concensus is that it shouldnt, as other games do not exhibit this behavior.

After seeing the very positive result of changing out the 12v filter capacitor, Its looking like dirty power is the cause of my trouble.

Getting to the bottom of it and finding the cause, is quite troublesome.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've never had problems with the 2SMD's . Even in games where I thought it might be causing problems. It didn't.

Well, so far it seems to be extra pulses in the strobe line to affect the trough switch.

I believe I'm getting multiple closures that is throwing the ball count off.

Changing out the switch had no affect, but debouncing it had a dramatic affect.

Let see if changing out the 33000 mfd cap does anything at all...

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you sure you don't have a diode wired up wrong somewhere? Sure seems like one is backwards somewhere on the game. I've had this happen before. And it would sometimes play great. Other times, random switches were confused. Would happen randomly all over the place. Couldnt' find the damn switch. Turns out, it was backwards on one of the coin door switches. Was a PIA to find.
Another game I had, I would push on the diodes, and they would crumble right off the wires. Had 3 of them crumble on the same game. Don't know what that was about.

First off, Thank you for taking an interest in my little problem!
Getting feedback and IDEAS from experienced repair people is what Pinside is all about.

That said, I had that exact thought a while back.

Since all switch diodes are on the dedicated diode board on Gottlieb system 3 games, I replaced the diode board.

This had ZERO effect.

However, this lead to the thought that something else is causing trouble.

10000 mfd capacitor?

33000 mfd capacitor?

Bad diode on a cotrolled lamp board? Right now Im making a list of all lamps on strobe 2.

Bad/shorted connction in the flashers?

Bad resistor board?

Since all the main boards are new (including power sullpy), and EXTREME ground mods are done.

I can focus on what's in between!

Replacing the 10000 capacitor has had the most dramatic effect.

I will likely replace the 33000 mfd cap and the resistor board (replacing the board just because its old for future-proofing, it wont address my problem) tomorrow and report back.

I really liked your suggestion about the flashers! Its simple enough to pull them all out and see if the game stabilizes.

However, the 33000 cap does control the power to the flashers.

These 2 ideas are on the same path.

We'll see if the cap replacement has a positive effect.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Turns out, it was backwards on one of the coin door switches.

This is something to check.

The credit button is on the list of suspect switches in the switch matrix. Im not clear on whether its diode is on the diode board, but it probably is so it may not be the issue.

Either way, I havent looked at it yet.

Thanks for this!

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from carvindc200:

Also, have you double checked that power supply's 5v? Maybe try turning it up just a hair from where it is to ensure under heavy load it doesn't fall?

My new power supply board is amazing!

I have 2 of the dip switches tripped out of the 5 or 6...NO MORE POTS, lol.

Currently it reads at just over 5.2v (at the cpu), and its STABLE!

#82 1 year ago

My new 33000 mfd cap arrived and I finally had time to install it.
33000 mfd cap (resized).jpg33000 mfd cap (resized).jpg

Now both caps have been replaced and installed.

I cant be sure, but it looks like the 33000 mfd cap has been replaced with a used one, in the past.
Its a bit rough and used looking. It also has some kind of white overspray on it.

Also it wasnt stuck to the tape like the 10k one was. It was loose and mounted with a red nylon tie vs a regular white one.

You just never know...
old caps (resized).jpgold caps (resized).jpg

#83 1 year ago

My new 33000 mfd cap arrived and I finally had time to install it.
[quoted image]
Now both caps have been replaced and installed.[quoted image]

After installing the new 33000 mfd cap, the results are quite POSITIVE!

I put 10 games on it and had no multiball problems at all.

Game 11:

The game lost a ball in the left VUK.

During ball search the game inserted an extra ball into play.

The missing ball was found during play and when a multiball ended, the flippers died prematurely and ended the ball.

On the next ball (in the same game) flippers died again during multiball.

The ball count was still off during the rest of the game.

I did NOT play another game to see if the fault persisted to the next game.

I rebooted the game instead, and the problem went away and played perfectly again.

So, it seems that in some cases a missing ball "correction" in the code, will persist between balls until the game is rebooted or a new game is started?

Gottlieb doesnt share code fixes.....so who knows what they did by version 5 (im on version 4 for now)

Or

Im getting very close to perfection and still there is something mildly affecting the strobe line?

#84 1 year ago

Im not clear as to how a ball can be lost in the left VUK.

This has only happened once since Ive owned the game, But I did replace all the missing VUK plunger springs.

Obviously its hung on something, or the opto didnt recognize a ball was there.

I dont think the ball is settling and stopping in the subway. It looks brand new and there are no dents in it.

Certainly I can improve its angle with a washer under the left side to increase the ball speed, if its not too thick and hangs on the VUK.

More likely the ball is resting on the edge gap of subway to the VUK wireform.

I havent yet pulled off wire on the VUK and trough coils to improve their power.

When I pull the left VUK apart for inspection, I will pull off some coils of wire.

So far however, the game is more or less fixed.

Now Im just going thru and checking more age related items.

Im likely replacing the aux driver board to freshen up the flashers.

#85 1 year ago

Molexing everything in the game, sure makes regular inspections EASY!

#86 1 year ago

Currently the game is playing so fast, balls are flipping over the bats on a hard rebound.

This happens about once in 5 games.

The flippers are not set too low as I checked them with a ball.

The center of the bat is above the centerline of the ball.

It might just be the narrow flipper bands allowing some upwards deflection?

There might be a little more room on the shaft notch to raise the bats a tiny bit more.
20230113_135547 (resized).jpg20230113_135547 (resized).jpg

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

This has been a great thread to follow. It seems like you have it pretty much figured out. I'm really happy for you, what a grind that was.

I still have a way to go.

Im looking at the flashers right now.

Im ordering a new auxillary driver board for them.

I bet the transistors are old and choppy.

#89 1 year ago

Im tracking down the slow/sluggish response of the outhole kicker after the switch is closed.

I found and installed a new resistor board, that I forgot I bought awhile ago (it has diodes on it).

This did not solve the issue.

#90 1 year ago

Finally got around to replacing Q7 on my new driver board.

Q7 controls the right kicking target.

these new boards are super easy.

Just cut the leads to the existing bad part, either leave it on board on remove it.

I just left it in place and soldered a new MOSFET on.

It works perfectly again.
20230114_113830 (resized).jpg20230114_113830 (resized).jpg

#91 1 year ago

My complaint about the outhole kicker is interesting.

In attract mode the outhole kicker is slow and methodical?

"In game" it works as it should.

However when the game is depleted during very high activity, the outhole kicker can fail to launch the ball hard enough to get it over the "hump" in the trough.

During this high stress and high volume session, after many successive multiballs, the outhole kicker and the TROUGH switch can fail to activate properly.

This is simply tested out by going thru the modes with the glass off and catching the balls in ones hand.

I can hit every target, activate every switch and opto.

then drop all the balls except one into the outhole.

This works flawlessly with no errors.

I can do this with every mode including Ra's temple in the same session.

No errors whatsoever.

My game is jumpered to 110v (red/white jumper). It came that way from the factory, jumpers still stapled to the side of the cabinet.

Next I going to change the main power jumper to 120v (orange/white jumper from bag) and see what it does.

John Robertson (John's Jukes) recommends the 120v jumper for a variety of reasons.

It is possible that the game gets buggy when set to 110v and actually delivering 115-121v.

I can see how this might cause some issues.

Ill report any changes.

#92 1 year ago

I installed the 120v jumper.

ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE ! ! ! !

WTF.

2 balls get kicked into the shooter lane for each ball served, WTF ! ! !

Multiballs last 1 ball....WTF !

No ball gets past the outhole kicker without 3 or 4 tries, or it fails completely and sits with 2 or 3 balls kicking endlessly....

Sounds bad, VERY bad....

But its NOT!

Finally I have something to work on in real time.

The game should work perfectly with either the 110v or 120v jumper. This was tested at the factory and MANY games have it installed with no ill effect.

Lets look at it and see whats going on.

This could lead to actually fixing my game.

YAY! (I think...)

#93 1 year ago

Lets look at the outhole kicker problem.

Originally when I got my game, the outhole kicker was weak.

It was dirty, grimy, and desperately needed a rebuild.

On inspection the coil sleeve was permanently stuck in and the coil had some serious heat damage.

On test it read 137 ohms. It was shorted a bit.

I unwound enough wire off of it to get it down to 65 ohms (as is the spec for the coil) and reinstalled it while waiting for a new coil from PBR.

I installed the new coil when it came and thought nothing of it, as it was new.

Time to look closer.

I pulled out the "new" coil and checked its resistance (it should be 65.8 ohms or close to it).
new a-26451 ohms (resized).jpgnew a-26451 ohms (resized).jpg

I clipped one side of the diode to get a true reading (diodes add about 1 ohm).

WTF ! Its supposed to be 65.8.

71 ohms makes it out of spec by near 10%.

If the coil was within spec it would be more powerful and likely work correctly.

Lesson learned.

Check new coil resistance before installing all new coils....

The bible for pinball coil restance measurement:

https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

#94 1 year ago

I decided to add a little oomph to my outhole coil since its out of the game and out of spec anyway.

I unwound 400 turns of copper:

new coil lower resistance (resized).jpgnew coil lower resistance (resized).jpg
Dropping the resistance 10% from spec should give the coil the extra boost it needs, without going overboard with a Williams AE 23-800 coil.

I reinstalled it into my game.

IT WORKS perfectly!

Now, I can recommend that unwinding a few turns of copper from your outhole coil will solve the anemic/weak performance that it traditionally has.

Outhole problem is now permanently solved.

#95 1 year ago

Im looking at the pop bumper section of the playfield today.

It looks ok.

The left kicking target needs attention. I pulled it out, cleaned off the corrosion, cleaned the switch contacts and lubed its shaft.

It works better than ever now, SUPER strong and responsive.

Pop bumpers need cleaning and inspection.

Game is still kicking out 2 balls for one on the ball serve.

#96 1 year ago

As CaptainNeo has suggested (thank you so much for this), its time to look at the flashers!

Flashers are controlled by the auxiliary driver board (there are no diodes on them to go bad).

I ordered a new one just for the heck of it, they are inexpensive.

Meanwhile I can look at sockets and wires to see if anything is out of sorts.

Everything looks and tests properly.

But look here!
rebellion flasher wire (resized).jpgrebellion flasher wire (resized).jpg

A wire has fallen off the Rebellion flasher.

This flasher is not like the rest of them. Its the main 20v supply.

flasher schematic (resized).jpgflasher schematic (resized).jpg

I soldered the wire back on.
rebellion flasher repaired (resized).jpgrebellion flasher repaired (resized).jpg

The game has, stopped kicking out 2 balls......WTF?????

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that looks like it will solve some things that are up stream.

Absolutely. Again, thank you so much for the suggestion!

The game stopped kicking out extra balls already!

Next we will see if the ball count issue is fixed.

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from andylama:

pinballinreno, Man, your repair adventure thread is RIVETING!
I've never even played this pin, and I'm reading every post in this thread.
I am thoroughly appreciating your documenting this wild ride on the runaway troubleshooting train.
The illogical misbehaviors with weirdly morphing symptoms are simultaneously: unsettling, baffling, irritating...and hilarious.
Seriously relatable.
Best of luck to ya. I can hardly wait for the forensic analysis and summary at the end of this harrowing adventure!

Thanks!

Its a puzzle for sure.

I ordered some pop bumper parts and smart switches.

I will freshen them up a bit while Im inspecting that section.

After that, the pivot targets likely need attention.

Smart switches are easy to test out as you can just unplug them to take them out of circuit.

Unplugging all of the smart switches does NOT solve the ball count issue.

#101 1 year ago

Im leaving the 120v jumper in place for now.

All of the game problems seem exaggerated.

This might help to narrow down the culprit.

I played a game to check out its current staus.

The game lost the ball count on ball one.

Kicked out an extra ball on ball 2.

Played 4 balls on glider craft.

Mode ended early with 4 balls in play.

All 4 balls exited the outhole.

The game couldnt clear them and they all stayed trapped in the outhole.
My modified coil still isnt strong enough to clear 2 balls. Ill work on this a bit more and get it to clear 2 balls at once in test.

Putting a 23-800 coil seems extreme.

Possibly the "blue" wrapper coil thats listed at 42 ohms will work well enough?
4 balls in outhole (resized).jpg4 balls in outhole (resized).jpg

#102 1 year ago

Today Im going to manually test the game modes to see if a switch or mode can shine light on the problems.

The plan is to start multiballs and remove the balls in play as they come out.

Manually trip the switches with a ball and see if I can get the mode to end early while dropping a ball into the outhole once in awhile to simulate game play.

Also see if a mode times out.

In theory a mode shouldnt time out until there is only one ball left in play.

If something wrong happens, I should be able to reproduce it.

This should be interesting.

#103 1 year ago

Before getting into something exotic, I was thinking about the dramatic change that the game went through by changing the power jumper.

Maybe its already in a low power state?

Are the main fuses loose or corroded?

Time to check the power box MA-1928

stargate power box (resized).jpgstargate power box (resized).jpg

5 amp fuse holder (F2) has a cracked nut and the top is wiggly.

The fuse is loose in the holder and doesnt firmly touch the bottom contact.

broken nut (resized).jpgbroken nut (resized).jpg

There doesnt seem to be a Gottlieb fuse holder per se.

The holder has Buss HTB molded on to it. Searching for that yielded good results.

This one is perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Panel-Holder/dp/B000XBB8YI/ref=asc_df_B000XBB8YI/

I bought a couple at West Marine in reno.

fuse holder (resized).jpgfuse holder (resized).jpg

Evidently boats use them all the time.

Its a perfect fit. Although it inserts from the bottom instead of the top.

I doubt that this will change the game much.

All Done:

installed bottom (resized).jpginstalled bottom (resized).jpg

installed top (resized).jpginstalled top (resized).jpg

Fuses fit snug and the tops are NOT wiggly!

Much better than the 28 year old crispy ones.

#104 1 year ago

The power box looks great and un-tampered with.

Fuse holders are solid!

#105 1 year ago

The power box looks great and un-tampered with.
Fuse holders are solid!

Still waiting on Pop-bumper parts to get those sorted out.

Meanwhile my Aux driver board arrived!

Im certain it will have little to no effect on my ball count issues, but freshening 28 year old boards can only be a good thing.

old board:
old aux driver (resized).jpgold aux driver (resized).jpg

new board:
new aux driver board (resized).jpgnew aux driver board (resized).jpg

2 min install and it works perfectly!

#106 1 year ago

While waiting for parts, I noticed that the pivot targets "squeek" and one has a cracked switch.

I "do" have those switches in stock!

Its super easy to lube the pivot points, and replace the switch. I might as well replace the coil sleeve while Im at it.

left pivot target (resized).jpgleft pivot target (resized).jpg

#107 1 year ago

Oiled all the pivots on both pivot targets with a tiny drop of oil, but not just any oil:

Super lube precision oiler part# 51014. Dries out leaves no gummy residue, its primarily PTFE (teflon):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-7ml-Precision-Oiler-Oil-with-Syncolon-PTFE-Lubricant-Per-Each-51010/202932717?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AeTunco7CTEEzMQcBZXPE5Yw6vsCWLf4RVZH0q7uH2Nw_0JeFNrIKlr_lZw

Or use any "dry" lube. this works well.

oil pivot points (resized).jpgoil pivot points (resized).jpg

Squeek and roughness all gone. Works buttery smooth now.

#108 1 year ago

New switches both pivots.

F#ckn Marco sent one that was missing the bolt plate.... Its ok just move the old one to the new switch.

new switch missing part (resized).jpgnew switch missing part (resized).jpg

smart mounting bracket (resized).jpgsmart mounting bracket (resized).jpg

10 mins to replace both switches! They work perfectly in test with a ball.

#109 1 year ago

Still waiting for pop bumper parts, maybe monday.

Meanwhile, my left VUK is sticking up.

Time to examine:
VUK cap (resized).jpgVUK cap (resized).jpg

Looks like the cap has been replaced and a bent nail is used to secure it.

The Gottlieb 5-40 retaining shaft is not to be found anywhere.

McMaster has a suitable 5-40 shoulder bolt so I ordered a couple. (not cheap)
shoulder bolt (resized).jpgshoulder bolt (resized).jpg

The plunger cap is badly mushroomed and worn down at least 3/32"
This will make the cap rest too high and hang balls on it.
It will also make the plunger poke thru too much and cause it to settle too high up.

I temporarily added a fender washer will take up the slack and fix it.
Also the return spring is incorrect, but if it works it will be ok. I ordered the correct one.

washe installed (resized).jpgwashe installed (resized).jpg

All new VUK parts ordered from Marco!

they will be here next week.

#110 1 year ago

MASSIVE UPDATE ! ! !

Part one.

Before I rebuilt the pivot targets and replaced the pivot smart switches:

On a hunch I re-installed the 110v jumper and played a test game.

Multiballs were grabbed by hand and held.

All of the modes ended correctly except one, Rebellion.

In rebellion the only active targets are the pivot, pop bumpers and the left kicking target.

Manually flinging balls at the pivot target and letting go thru the pops was ok until, one of the balls drained and wouldnt make it up the outhole trough ramp easily, it took 3 tries.

Suddenly the game launched another ball?

I let the balls drain one by one, the mode ended early, flippers died and the ball ended with 2 balls still in my hand.

I put the 2 balls into the outhole and they wouldnt make it up the trough ramp.

Something is going on in the pop bumper/pivot target/left kicking target area of the game.

I already found the loose wire on the Rebellion flasher, and fixed it.

This is the first time that I could manually see something very wrong.

Pretty exciting!

#111 1 year ago

MASSIVE UPDATE ! ! !

Part two:

I suspected that the pivot target smart switch was the culprit, even though the pop bumpers are crusty and tend to stick when actuated manually.

I havent rebuilt the pops yet or replaced their smart switches yet.

The only oddball part is the left pivot target smart switch (and it has a crack in it), its part of the group that failed the Rebellion mode.

Pivot smart switches are different than the other ones, they are not interchangeable.

After cleaning, lubing the pivot points, and then replacing the "smart" switches on the pivot targets I played a game.

Im still on the 110v jumper and will leave it that way. It came from the factory with it on.

On initial game start:

The game immediately plays differently. Peppier, stronger, faster responses.

Mulitball after multiball modes end properly.

Flippers dont die, the game plays flawlessly.

I made it past Ra's bracelet with a 4 ball mutiball, no errors (this is always an iffy mode on my game and rarely finishes properly).

I made it all the way to Eye of Ra, massive multiball that went on forever!

No errors, drained down to 1 ball and started a few more modes.

NO BALLS collected in the trough, ALL balls made it up the trough ramp on the first try.

Thinking this was a fluke, I played 5 more games, ZERO ERRORS.

Still not trusting the game, I left it in attract mode for 4 hours.

Played 2 fast games, ZERO ERRORS ! ! !

So, I truly believe that the game is fixed now!

This is the best that the game has performed since I bought it.

So it appears that the source of the ball count errors were due to a faulty smart switch on the left pivot target.

#113 1 year ago

On the pivot targets there are a lot of pivot points.

Any metal on metal pivot points in a pinball machine should be lubed with tiny amounts of silicone oil (or sewing machine oil in the old days).

***NOTE*** I said TINY amounts of oil, it shouldnt be DRIPPING off and any excess should be wiped off. This will do a good job of "dry" lubing.

In my picture earlier, I tried to show one of the axle pins of the pivot target being externally lubed with a tiny drop of silicone oil.

This includes slingshot bearings, spinner targets or any axle pin in a game.

On some of the axle pins and press in bushings I use silicone grease.

The parts will last forever and the game will play faster.

On the left Horus guard there is a Smart switch behind the round white target face.

Its not a regular "leaf" switch that is common in pinball games.

These are NOT adjustable, do NOT need lubrication and for the most part, dont fail (unless you are just unlucky )

left horus guard (resized).jpgleft horus guard (resized).jpg

Why it has failed and affected the ball count is a mystery.

Its not on the same strobe line, nor is it a part of the column or row that contains any of the trough switches or the shooter lane switch.

Its also not in any way, a part of the outlane or trough coils circuits that I can see so far.

However is does report to the CPU and I guess can WREAK HAVOC if it fails in just the right way...

#118 1 year ago

You did!

But, they never go bad, even after 28 years????????? LOL !!!

I am replacing them as I go. Next are the pop bumper ones.

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from carvindc200:

I will admit this thread has made me second think ever owning a system 3... But I'm so glad you got this gorgeous game working. A fantastic gottlieb title.

Gottlieb games are very robust and relatively trouble free compared to the other game manufacturers.

The main reason I created this thread was to document problems and solutions.

Comparatively little is documented about Stargate.

I will continue adding my repairs to this thread as I go through the game.

I have a fix for the sticky/weak left VUK next.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Amazing work!! Sounds like you've got it fixed! Such an accomplishment!!

It was a tough one thats for sure.

Only 72 days to figure it out.

It might have KILLED a lesser man etc....

Now onto the rest of my examination of the game.

Im nearly through all of it.

Pops and pivots were nearly the last items to check.

Oddly, things are always found in the last place one looks...

In the procees, VERY many marginal/hacked/broken/incorrect items were found and addressed or replaced.

Plus all new electronics! Gottlieb parts are at bargain prices compared to Williams.

For a few hundred dollars I have rebuilt most of the game with all new parts.

The game plays like a dream!

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from stewdogg:

Dang, been following for a bit and happy to see such a definitive fix! Nice work with the patience as well.
I have to start digging into mine to figure out why the game thinks the door switch is open (with new switch) and the upper two drop targets won't reset after being hit during a ball, but will reset on a new ball... sorry, I though you were the expert on Stargate now.
Congrats on the well oiled Stargate and thanks for the journey.

Im no expert lol, but I do use a linear trouble shooting approach.

The door switch problem should be addressed by checking all the wires and diodes. Also rule out any mechanical problems.

Also look at the the column and row switches from the matrix chart. Its very possible that a wire has fallen off.

I had my upper drop targets do EXACTLY the same thing. I pulled the mech as its super easy, cleaned the switches and adjusted it and put in a new coil sleeve.

The metal slider was binding terribly and keeping the mech from working properly.

It would work but hang up if pressed at a slight angle. The edges of the slider were slightly worn and rough.

The springs arent strong enough to pull it up due to the roughness of the sliding parts.

I pulled it apart and smoothed of the rough (channel?) edges on both parts with a file. I applied a dab of silicone grease to help it.

The mech started working properly after the rebuild.

I use a little Flitz on a q-tip to clean the gold contacts of the switches followed by a little naptha to clean it off.

#124 1 year ago

Left VUK coil modification.

This should give the coil a little more power instead of swapping it for a more powerful coil.

I tested the resistance of the old coil, it looks really good. The spec is 15.5 and its dead on (my meter is set to round off).
15.5 ohm coil (resized).jpg15.5 ohm coil (resized).jpg

After removing 200 turns of wire (and will add a new diode) im happy with 13.5 ohms:
13.5 ohm coil (resized).jpg13.5 ohm coil (resized).jpg

#125 1 year ago

Parts came in from Marco for my pop bumpers and to rebuild the left VUK

It seems that the completely WRONG plunger and cap was installed at one point.

The old plunger is too short and has the wrong hole size for the 5-40 shaft and lock nut:
(new plunger at the top)

plungers (resized).jpgplungers (resized).jpg

The old cap is also WRONG. The new one has the correct size "elongated" hole in it:
(correct cap on the left)
new vuk cap (resized).jpgnew vuk cap (resized).jpg

The new shaft I ordered from McMaster Carr is a PERFECT fit.
(I ordered 2 in case I lost one... )
I also installed new coil mounting brackets and a new coil wrapper, as well as the correct spring:
new shaft (resized).jpgnew shaft (resized).jpg

All rebuilt:
all fixed (resized).jpgall fixed (resized).jpg

Im hoping my coil modification will make it more powerful.
Certainly all new parts will make it work like brand new!
(installed in my game):
installed in game (resized).jpginstalled in game (resized).jpg

#126 1 year ago

Pop bumpers

Removing the pop bumper coils, brackets and switches is super easy on this game.

The pop bumper bracket is held on with 3 machine screws and 2 nuts that attach it to the bumper ring assembly.

My new brackets came with replaceable coil stops! I think this is a good thing to future proof the game.

The bracket legs needed to be spread out a little to match the existing ones, but it only took a second.

A quick cleaning of the rings legs and surrounding area on the game, with Naptha, makes everything look new.

One thing about Gottlieb is that the metal and fiber yokes are built to last a lifetime, they rarely break.

Also metal spoons for the pop bumper switches.

Gottliebs are really built well.

all cleaned (resized).jpgall cleaned (resized).jpg

I bought 2 smart switches for the pop bumpers from Marco.

One of them had a pin that was never soldered for the smart connector. Its an easy fix but SERIOUSLY, no one checks anything any more.
The new switches also didnt have the lock washers on the bolts, and one of the brackets was super corroded.

A left and a right switch is listed, but really its the same switch with the bracket just flipped around.

new pop bumper switch (resized).jpgnew pop bumper switch (resized).jpg

When installing new spoons on a pop bumper its always best to put a tiny drop of silicone oil in the spoon and wipe it mostly off.

I got that tip from @LTG.

Another thing about these pop bumpers is NO SWITCH ADJUSTMENT ! ! !, they are smart switches, JUST INSTALL AND GO!

All rebuilt and ready to install with new coil sleeves.

ready to install (resized).jpgready to install (resized).jpg

Installation is super easy and the whole job from beginning to end took 30 mins for both pop bumpers.

No more binding and they are much stronger and sensitive!

I also cannot express strongly enough how NICE it is to Molex everything.

It makes standard maintenance and inspections a BREEZE!

#127 1 year ago

Amazing day!

I played the game for the firt time in 74 days just for fun. Its been a long time coming lol.

It was AWESOME!

ZERO errors, the game is fast and BRUTAL. Pop bumpers are really strong and sensitive..

Everything is really strong and FAST.

My coil mods are working better than I expected. Outhole coil works perfectly, Left VUK was strong and worked perfectly even under a full load with long 4 ball multiballs.

This is what I signed up for. A fast challenging game with tons of unique shots.

Im VERY happy

Well worth the time and parts/work invested.

Next its time to incrementlly dial in the flipper angle.

The game is close to PERFECT!

#128 1 year ago

Some thoughts on left VUK problems and adjustments.

Oddly the left VUK does NOT have a schematic, exploded view or parts list in the manual.
So, its impossible to get the correct replacement parts without this important information!

My incorrect plunger as noted above was installed (I think) because the prior repair person didnt have the parts list and did the best they could.

I have included the left VUK schematic from Pinball Resource at the end of this post. The same document has been posted before on a couple other "Weak Left VUK" threads.

Its important that the VUK has a plunger that's not worn out, missing the metal cap on the end or worn and dragging coil sleeve, and has the correct spring. Too strong of a spring makes the mech fail (the williams 10-135 common spring was too strong).

If you look at the mech, you can physically bend it left or right while its bolted in the game.

If its not perfectly square to the playfield, you should bend it so that it is. A little bending is a lot. So just make very slight adjustments on this.

If the end tab of the mounting bracket (that has the rubber grommet in it) is bent outwards, you should bend it square to the bracket. If this is bent to far out, the plunger will rest too low and weaken the throw of the ball.

The idea is the get it to shoot a ball straight up the center of just very slightly to the right, so the ball can ride up without dragging or getting spit out to the left and rolling back down the horus lane.

One of the biggest complaints about this mech, is that when the game is under a high load it takes several tries to feed the ball. This can cause abnormal wear to the plunger, coil sleeve, spring and drive transistor.

If you rebuild the mech, make certain that the plunger moves exactly straight up and down. Its possible to have the plunger move at a slight angle if the coil brackets are crooked or set off center. This causes the ball to rattle in the chute.

I press the brackets firmly onto the coil and firmly and to one side while tightening the screws. Both the top and bottom brackets should align to the same side. It can be easy to be off a little and have the plunger shoot at an angle.

Replacing the coil with a stronger one is also one of the solutions. There is a bally coil (BF-27-1250 must add a diode) that is "Really close" where you want it to go as far as power, however you must add a diode to it. You can see it listed on the coil resistance chart.

https://flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

Ideally you need an "in between" sized/powered Gottlieb coil that doesn't exist.

By removing 2-3 ohms (200 or so turns) of wire, the coil is quite a bit stronger (and basically make the Bally coil without buying one). But not so strong as to bounce the ball off the top deflector, and have it roll back down onto the mech. My coil reads 13 ohms without the diode, 13.5 ohms with the diode in place.

With the modified coil, the mech is strong enough to clear 2 balls at once and not "fail" to eject balls when the game is under full load.

IMHO its really perfect now.

Here is the Left VUK schematic with the part numbers, that isnt in the manual:

VUK schematic (resized).jpgVUK schematic (resized).jpg

#129 1 year ago

On smart switches...

I have replaced 6 of the 9 switches.

2 special pivot mech switches (replaced)
2 pop bumper switches (replaced)
5 roll over switches (replaced 2 so far)

As you can imagine, Im a bit skittish/concerned/ gun shy, about leaving in the last 3.

I Just now ordered 4 more.

Ill install them in a few days when they come in.

(Yeah, I'm still a little shaken from broken "Smart Switches", lol )

Some info about Smart switches:

Switches:

The reliability of contact switches is reduced due to contaminates like moisture and dust which foul the contact points. Piezo film offers exceptional reliability as it is a monolithic structure, not susceptible to this and other conventional switch failure modes. One of the most challenging of all switch applications is found in pinball machines.

A pinball machine manufacturer uses a piezo film switch manufactured by MSI as a replacement for the momentary rollover type switch. The switch is constructed from a laminated piezo film on a spring steel beam, mounted as a cantilever to the end of a circuit board.

The "digital" piezo film switch features a simple MOSFET circuit that consumes no power during the normally-open state. In response to a direct contact force, the piezo film beam momentarily triggers the MOSFET. This provides a momentary "closure" for up to a 50 V maximum voltage. The output of this low profile contactless switch is well suited to logic-level switching. The unit does not exhibit the corrosion, pitting or bounce that are normally associated with contact switches.

The company has tested these switches in excess of 10 million cycles without failure.

The switch solves the nagging problem of fouled contacts in pinball machines, a significant source for machine downtime and lost revenue. The simplicity of the design makes it effective in applications.

Though it has been proposed that one could replace smart switches with regular "leaf" switches, Its not so simple.

The pulse length of a smart switch is very short and the software code that controls it is "tuned" to that signal.

Leaf switch replacements will work, but not as well as one would like. Expect switch closures only about half of the time, and lots of failed activations.

You will have to hold down the "leaf" switch for a bit longer than the "smart switch" to get it to be recognized as a switch closure by the CPU board.

This is NOT acceptable for a high speed application like a stand-up target with a fast moving ball.

Smart switches have built in circuitry to debounce the switch and simulate clean switch closures.

If a component fails on a smart switch, you get a bit of electricity pushed back into the circuit as will as a very jagged signal.

This leads to misinformation sent to the CPU and related parts.

Lastly, as I have found out, bad signal from a failed smart switch will wreak havoc in the strobe lines.

https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Data+Sheet%7FPiezo_Solid_State_Switches%7FA1%7Fpdf%7FEnglish%7FENG_DS_Piezo_Solid_State_Switches_A1.pdf%7FCAT-PFS0012

#130 1 year ago

Smart switches came today.

Now my game as all 9 smart switches replaced!

They are SUPER easy to install, and require NO adjustment.

Just make sure the metal actuator tab on the "switch" goes "over" the actuator wire on the "game". It can be easy for it to slip under the wire (ask me how I know this...).

This should buy the game another 28 years of service life!
smart roll over switches (resized).jpgsmart roll over switches (resized).jpg

#131 1 year ago

I can finally play lots of problem free games !

Now Im adjusting the flipper bat angle.

Games with worn coil stops and worn plungers on the flippers have much more travel than freshly rebuilt ones.

My flippers are freshly rebuilt so proper adjustment is critical.

Gottlieb has not provided a mark or any guidance for adjustment, other than a dimple between the flippers.

This has been covered here on pinside a couple times.

The manual shows the flippers at an extreme downwards angle.

It looks wrong, but its not too far off.

Without the droop, you cant effectively shoot the right kicking target or the lower left quartz drop target.

Too much droop and its more difficult to hit the pyramid shot or backhand the horus guard during rebellion.

Pointing the lower edge of the flipper bat inline with (or just above) the small divot between the flippers is a good starting place.

This it my current setting:

flipper angle (resized).jpgflipper angle (resized).jpg

I will have to play a few games with this setting to verify if its exactly right.

I may have to droop the flippers a tiny bit more so that the rubber is right above the anti-cheat wires.

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

IMO, you have too much droop already.

Thank you so much for posting!

I agree, they look low. Matching the flipper angle to the wires is a popular setting, and looks better.

But for the moment Im going for how it plays vs how it looks.

Can you post a picture of your setup so that I can draw some comparisons to what others have posted, and my experiences?
The flipper angle from the pictures on IPDB that Allen Shope provided are too high and incorrect.

Flipper bat angle is a very controversial subject on pinside.

To date:

I have incrementally adjusted the flippers from the center of the lane guides downwards, about 1/16" at a time and played several games.

Researching pinside for a correct angle, its been established that some sort of droop is correct.

@viperrwk, the somewhat definitive expert (awhile back) on Stargate had established a baseline similar to what I have arrived at.

A couple others have also arrived at this angle, somewhat.

Instead of just doing what others before me had done, I decided to investigate this further and do my own independent study.

If the flippers are too high (say lined up the the lane guides like many Bally games) critical shots become unavailable.
Also the flipper range of travel on Gottlieb games is so great it makes the flippers "catch all" and become too easy.

My current angle in the picture (as of this morning) above, plays very well and inlane passing/transfer is effective. However when they are up about 1/16" from where they are, the pyramid shot is easier, but the horus lane to the left is more difficult to shoot.

I may settle on a prior adjustment and raise them up a 16th". This would make them parallel the the wires.

Right now, Im looking for a good flow in the game and have every shot makeable without "tipping" the ball.

So far, I have it, plus or minus 1/16" or so.

Its just a matter of where I exactly settle on it.

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I tried to take the picture straight down so you can see the angle in relation to the bar below:
[quoted image]
This is the way I've had it for several years. Feels good to me, and I have no problem making all the shots.

Thanks so much for the picture!

I also had my flippers set that way for quite a few games

It played good and solid.

I may go back to that.

Aligning the bats to the wires is pretty standard IMHO.

Yours are just slightly above that.

Ive elected to droop down a bit further to make the horus and anubis shots more "organic"?

We'll see in a week if I keep them that way, or go to where yours are.

Aligned to the wires makes the pyramid shot a breeze, but makes the Ra's bracelet slightly more challenging, "slightly".

Really its a 1/16" change. So, its getting very close to what I would say is "close to perfect".

Either way, my game is SUPER fast and BRUTAL!

All of the work I have done has made it into a really amazing experience!

Its so fast now, I get air-balls all the time lol.

I may have to increase the playfield pitch.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from KenH:

There's a saying I always try to keep in mind when doing these adjustments, because I know exactly how you feel -- you want it dead perfect. The saying is 'Better is the enemy of Good'. It will never be perfect no matter how many times you change it. And if you keep messing with it, you will make it worse or break it. I think that is what that saying means -- if you're at Good, consider leaving that way or suffer the consequences.
UPDATE: I added this because the online dictionary said it so well:
The demand, desire, or insistence for perfection decreases the chances of obtaining a good or favorable result in the end.

Thank you for your insight!

Im not so much searching for perfection, but what is a really good happy medium.

Since Im still repairing faults and replacing coil sleeves throughout, I have a bit of time to experiment with the flipper bat alignment.

Gottlieb, I guess has left flipper adjustments to the masses to figure out, lol.

1 week later
#138 1 year ago

Its been a week and Ive settled on the more or less best flipper angle:

20230208_100633 (resized).jpg20230208_100633 (resized).jpg

#139 1 year ago

My game gets about 20 plays a day.

So far no horrible errors!

However I did have a ball hang up in the left VUK subway.

The game inserted a fresh ball into play.

During play, the hung ball came free and I played with 2 balls until one of them drained.

Oddly this did not affect the ball count and the game played perfectly until the game ended.

#140 1 year ago

I know that a ball hang in the left VUK is a known issue.

It doesnt happen a lot, but it can happen.

I hope to have solution for this soon.

#142 1 year ago
Quoted from KenH:

Those look perfect. Good decision!

Thanks!

It was a lot of FUN playing with the various angles.

But, like others before me, that also looked for the best solution, I arrived at the same conclusion.

Matched to the "anti-cheat" wires works the best over all.

#143 1 year ago

I know that a ball hang in the left VUK is a known issue.
It doesnt happen a lot, but it can happen.
I hope to have solution for this soon.

The ball hang on the left VUK is mostly caused by excessive gap between the edge of the subway and the plunger cap.

This allows the ball to "rest" in the gap if it moves super slowly.

Moving the subway 3/32 to 1/8" closer to the VUK mech solves this for the most part.

Another solution is to add 1/16" thick washers under the VUK mounting bracket (4 or 5 screws).

This causes the ball to drop with more inertia and not get hung in the gap.

Yet another solution is to remove the rubber grommet in the end of the VUK bracket and install a thin rubber pad.

This causes the plunger to retract further, and get the ball to drop a little more, so as not to rest in the gap.

All of these solutions work.

I have seen several games where the "operator" simply bent the end of the VUK bracket out a bit to get the same result.

Bending it out about 1/8" will lower the plunger cap sufficiently to get more ball drop inertia. This is the simplest solution and does indeed work.

*Early on, I thought that the end of the VUK bracket was bent outwards due to wear and repeated use.

NOW, I understand it to be an "adjustment" to solve the ball hang problem.

I think that bending the end of the VUK bracket will lead to the plunger firing "off center".

This in turn will cause wear on the coil sleeve and lead to anemic performance and binding of the VUK plunger over time.

Its best to have the VUK firing perfectly straight up with no sideways pressure on it at all.

Adding an accelerator to the subway, like on the TAF thing box, might be the ultimate solution.

#144 1 year ago

The ball hang on the left VUK is mostly caused by excessive gap between the edge of the subway and the plunger cap.
This allows the ball to "rest" in the gap if it moves super slowly.
Moving the subway 3/32 to 1/8" closer to the VUK mech solves this for the most part.
Another solution is to add 1/16" thick washers under the VUK mounting bracket (4 or 5 screws).
This causes the ball to drop with more inertia and not get hung in the gap.
Yet another solution is to remove the rubber grommet in the end of the VUK bracket and install a thin rubber pad.
This causes the plunger to retract further, and get the ball to drop a little more, so as not to rest in the gap.
All of these solutions work.
I have seen several games where the "operator" simply bent the end of the VUK bracket out a bit to get the same result.
Bending it out about 1/8" will lower the plunger cap sufficiently to get more ball drop inertia. This is the simplest solution and does indeed work.
*Early on, I thought that the end of the VUK bracket was bent outwards due to wear and repeated use.
NOW, I understand it to be an "adjustment" to solve the ball hang problem.
I think that bending the end of the VUK bracket will lead to the plunger firing "off center".
This in turn will cause wear on the coil sleeve and lead to anemic performance and binding of the VUK plunger over time.
Its best to have the VUK firing perfectly straight up with no sideways pressure on it at all.
Adding an accelerator to the subway, like on the TAF thing box, might be the ultimate solution.

Time to address the VUK ball hang:

On inspection, there is a small ridge on the edge of the subway from ball strikes.
Im confident that this ridge is slowing the ball down and helping to hang-up the ball periodically.
ridge (resized).jpgridge (resized).jpg

Its easily filed off.

filed off (resized).jpgfiled off (resized).jpg
I decided to just move the subway over a little bit while I have it out.

It only took 5 mins with a dremel cutoff wheel to open up the tabs a little.

I moved the subway over towards the VUK about 5/32" or about 1 diameter of the mounting screws.

It works perfectly and I cant get a ball to hang there any more.

If it gets loose, I'll just "pin" it in with a screw in front of a tab.
It fits solidly though.

tabs opened up (resized).jpgtabs opened up (resized).jpg

You can see here in the picture that the subway is MUCH closer to the VUK plunger cap now.
closer (resized).jpgcloser (resized).jpg

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from stewdogg:

Hey pinballinreno thanks for the incentive of your thread, your pursuit of perfection and tips to keep looking for my Stargate issue.
Turns out that the Ra's bracelet kicker had a couple wires hanging off. I soldered them back on and now the coin door, two drop targets and Horus are once again working properly. I am back to enjoying playing it again and the fix was too easy, the most difficult part was seeing the broken wire.

Youre welcome!

One of the things that have caused my game to play really well was to inspect ALL of the mechs, one by one.

Its really not hard, but it can be tedious.

What makes it super easy is to Molex the mechs as you pull them out.

The next thing for me to look at are the pivot mechs.

My intention is to clean and inspect, and replace the wires and connectors to the smart switches.

I have little confidence in the 30 year old wire, and crimp connections, as the wire "rubs and moves and pulls" as part of its action.

Im replacing the wire with silicone wire. It is WAY more flexible and wil have a much longer service life.

#148 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

stargate is a great time. I'll probably buy another one down the road.

We love it!

Its getting a lot of play at my shop!

Im looking for a blown out playfield to get it rescreened.

Then I will do a complete restoration.

For now, Im having a great time learning about Gottlieb system 3 and rebuilding all if the mechs one-by-one.

After 28 years, its about time!

#150 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

It would be so much easier to work on machines if they all came this way. I'm pretty sure my drop target mechs have connectors but the very difficult to get to and work on vuks definitely do not.

I agree.

Though modern pinball games are doing a much better job on this.

Gottlieb system 3 has more connectors than ANY of the other manufactures of that era.

IMO they were WAY ahead of their time.

If you are adding in connectors its important to have a good iwiss crimper, and a small collection of .093 and .062 molex housings and pins is important.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

I also have a couple wire strippers that make it easy to strip ends in close places.

https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Electrical-Klein-Tools-11063W/dp/B00BC39YFQ/ref=sr_1_20

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Stripper-and-Cutter/dp/B00EO4OGNK/ref=sr_1_30

and flush cutters. I cant live without these. Get the 3 pak, you will use them a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/CHP-170-Micro-Cutter-3-Pack/dp/B0765NMV68/ref=sxts_b2b_sx_reorder_acb_customer

I can help with how to use them if needed.

I just bought a few 2 wire mini-fit jr connectors off of amazon for a great price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M2N97L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00

#151 1 year ago

Today I replaced the cable from the left pivot smart switch.

This is the factory made cable from my original game.

Upon inspection, the crimps are very poorly done on both sides.

The wire inside is very loose, higher than normal resistance on my meter.

The insulation is uncrimped, so now the contact part of the crimp has to somehow hold on by itself with no motion or vibration support:
terrible crimp (resized).jpgterrible crimp (resized).jpg

Same on the other end:
terrible crimp other side (resized).jpgterrible crimp other side (resized).jpg

The wires were melted together:
melted together (resized).jpgmelted together (resized).jpg

New cable ready to be installed:
new cable ready to go (resized).jpgnew cable ready to go (resized).jpg

#152 1 year ago

Today I replaced the cable from the left pivot smart switch.
Upon inspection, the crimps are very poorly done on both sides.
The insulation is uncrimped, so now the contact part of the crimp has to somehow hold itself on by itself:
[quoted image]
Same on the other end:
[quoted image]
The wires were melted together:
[quoted image]
New cable ready to be installed:[quoted image]

With the new cable installed, the smart switch is twice as sensitive!

It works better than ever.

I was confident that the cable was wearing out, this proves it.

Tomorrow I make a new cable for the right pivot.

I imagine its in the same poor condition as the left.

This makes me wonder about the other wire crimps in the game.

Ill pay closer attention to them in the future.

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've had several system 3's that the wires were melted together and causing all kinds of random problems. I think they bound them too tight or the casing is made from something that likes to fuse together.

I was thinking about that.

I dont see any high voltage in the wires that would cause melting.

But its likely, that as the unsulation degrades it melts into the wires near it.

In the smart switch cables this can wreak havoc.

I was stunned that the smart switch was TWICE as sensitive after replacing the cables and connectors.

The new switch worked ok, but it seemed dull and lifeless, and wasnt sensitive at all.

The poor crimping job on the contacts didnt help the situation all.

I hope to replace the right pivot cable today and see if its in the same poor condition.

#155 1 year ago

Im installing the right (anubis) pivot smart switch cable.

Its pretty easy to unplug from the top and bottom (under the playfield) and remove it.

The cable tie mount fell off but left the old adhesive behind.

I found it easier to remove the anubis figure first, then access the cable and mount.

The most difficult/time consuming task was to remove the adhesive from the cable tie mount.

I put a small wad of paper towel with naptha on it and shoved it on top of the leftover glue.

After about 20 mins the glue scraped off with a plastic razor blade.

The new cable took all of 7 mins to make and dropped in easily thru the hole in the playfield.

Same crappy crimps, same melted together wire etc.

The weight of the "new" cable caused the mech to not close all the way.

Re-routing the wire under the playfield, and pushing it back up thru the hole a little and securing it with a cable tie made the mech close securely.
Now it snaps close like the other one (i had to do the same thing on that one).

Just as before (with the left pivot cable) the switch is TWICE as sensitive and more responsive.

The micro voltages from flexing the piezo material are negatively affected by loose corroded connectors.
This leads to slow response or again, HAVOC in the switch matrix.

Though the smart switches operate properly for millions of activations, the connectors and wire itself may not.

28 years in, the game just needs maintenance and a little TLC.

1 month later
#156 1 year ago

Interesting problem has appeared!

A ball got stuck in the left VUK.

The ball didnt register the opto switch closure.

At the same time a ball was stuck in the left outlane kicker.

The switch didnt register.

Upon re-booting the game both balls popped up and out and returned to the outhole properly.

Numerous switch tests and wire examinations turned up nothing.

#157 1 year ago

Interesting problem has appeared!
A ball got stuck in the left VUK.
The ball didnt register the opto switch closure.
At the same time a ball was stuck in the left outlane kicker.
The switch didnt register.
Upon re-booting the game both balls popped up and out and returned to the outhole properly.
Numerous switch tests and wire examinations turned up nothing.

Same issue popped up again during a long game.

The ball got stuck again in the left VUK and the game didnt know it was there.
The game also didnt go into ball search to pop it out.

Again rebooting the game caused the VUK to become active and the ball was retrieved normally.

#158 1 year ago

Same issue popped up again during a long game.
The ball got stuck again in the left VUK and the game didnt know it was there.
The game also didnt go into ball search to pop it out.
Again rebooting the game caused the VUK to become active and the ball was retrieved normally.

This particular issue is a weird one.

I got a hint from and old archived MACAAP forum, Its been seen at least once before.

The issue was a loose or marginal connection on the return line connector on the CPU board A1J5.

I sprayed it with DeOxit and the problem went away!

I ordered new female connector housings from Newark Electronics to make replacement easy and organized.
a1j5 (resized).jpga1j5 (resized).jpg

The female pins for these are currently difficult to get, Mouser, Digikey, and Newark dont have them in the exact type on the game.

Fortunately a vendor on Ebay had a nice 100 pak for a low price.

The connector is now replaced/re-pinned and has a new positive connection.

I will likely replace all the connectors on the CPU board as they are 30 years old.

The problem is fixed and I imagine all of the switch returns are now positive and reliable.

This is especially important for the Smart Switches, they really need positive connections on all sides.

#159 12 months ago

Just to do a thorough job I decided it might be smart to replace the strobes connector A3J3:

re-pinning A3J3 (resized).jpgre-pinning A3J3 (resized).jpg

It smart to leave a little wire, or at least be able to see into the old connector as a reference (just in case...).
Its easy to get confused. Cut them one at a time and pin them in, one at a time. Take a before picture that you can see the wire colors.

It really helps if you get distracted or make a mistake.

a3j3 old (resized).jpga3j3 old (resized).jpg
All switches test out perfectly in edge test.

All done! now I have NEW signal, and NEW return connections for my NEW CPU and driver board.

#160 11 months ago

After some thought, I decided to replace the A3J4 connector too.

Its the strobe return lines for the lamp matrix.

Since the game "shares" the switch AND the lamp strobes, I felt it would be good to renew it.

#161 11 months ago

A LOT has been said about poor grounding on System 3 games.

I havent personally seen anything wrong with my game pertaining to the grounds.

I did the ground mod and the game did "perk" up a bit. It seemed more energetic.

That said, nothing has been documented about replacing the ground connector on the driver board.

I ordered a few 8 position connector housings from Mouser.

Ill replace it when they come in.

#162 11 months ago

8 position Mini-Fit connectors from Mouser came in this morning.

A great time to refresh the ground connector:
A3J7 ground connector (resized).jpgA3J7 ground connector (resized).jpg

Not surprisingly, the new connector fits in MUCH more firmly.

Upon re-reading the "grounds mods" posts and information.

Little is said about the board pins on this connection and possible corrosion of the pins in the harness housing.

Although there "IS" mention of connectors in the Pin-Wiki.

Either way, Its brand new now and should last another 30 years.

1 month later
#163 10 months ago

Finally my 28 year old, cracked and spidery ramp broke!

broken ramp (resized).jpgbroken ramp (resized).jpg
#164 10 months ago

The plastic is pretty thin.
Its pretty amazing how well this has held up over the years.

I imagine that I can glue it up and support it with fiberglass tape and epoxy.

It might hold up for awhile, but really it needs to be replaced.

Does anyone have a spare?

All of the usual vendors, including Pinball Resource, dont have them.

Should I have some made up?

I would likely have to make 50 of them to recoup the investment.

Does anyone else need a new ramp made out of PETG?

2 weeks later
#165 9 months ago

The plastic is pretty thin.
Its pretty amazing how well this has held up over the years.
I imagine that I can glue it up and support it with fiberglass tape and epoxy.
It might hold up for awhile, but really it needs to be replaced.
Does anyone have a spare?
All of the usual vendors, including Pinball Resource, dont have them.
Should I have some made up?
I would likely have to make 50 of them to recoup the investment.
Does anyone else need a new ramp made out of PETG?

I have a lead on some new ramps.

Also Im going to rebuild the ball trough assembly since PBR still has the parts for it.

Ill post pictures when I do it.

#166 9 months ago

New ramp installed!
ramp installed (resized).jpgramp installed (resized).jpg

It didnt come with the wireform brackets.

I ordered them from PBR and the correct rivets.
gottlieb rivets (resized).jpggottlieb rivets (resized).jpg

The heads in the rivets are way too small from the factory. One side of my old ramp had actually pulled the rivets through the plastic.

I elected to install standard rivets with the bigger heads.
bigger rivets upper (resized).jpgbigger rivets upper (resized).jpg
bigger rivets lower (resized).jpgbigger rivets lower (resized).jpg

The bigger rivets DO NOT interfere with the ball as they are far enough from the sides.

The game play EXCEPTIONALLY WELL with the new ramp.

The ramp is ROCK solid and there is no sag in the center any more.

After the install The ball returns on the right side are super fast.

Its beginning to play like a brand new game.

The correct rivet size for the new plastic ramp is 5/32".

Drill out the bracket and ramp to 1/8" for the standard 1/8" wide nickel plated brass rivets.

No back-up washer is needed.

A couple posts in the internet asked the question of the correct size rivet.

Its 5/32" definitively.

5-32 rivets (resized).jpg5-32 rivets (resized).jpg

1 month later
#167 8 months ago

I finally got my hands on the LAST NOS playfield in EARTH.

This one has NO mylar and desperatly needs attention due to its age.

The clearcoat is checking/crazing:

It wont lift off the surface with a fingernail or the tip of an exacto knife, so Im calling it BONDED but shrinking?
Either way It has to be addressed.
clearcoat failing (resized).jpgclearcoat failing (resized).jpg

Serious "ribbing" in the surface:

terrible ribbing (resized).jpgterrible ribbing (resized).jpg

Inserts starting to raise:

raised inserts (resized).jpgraised inserts (resized).jpg

Its not glossy, none of them were.
The ink is showing signs of aging or "patina"
I like the way it looks this way:

not glossy (resized).jpgnot glossy (resized).jpg

I paid WAY too much for this, but fortunately I can make it perfect.

One SERIOUS problem is dis-similar coatings. I just DONT know what Gottlieb applied to the surface.
Obviously it was cheap paint, as it failed miserably over time and yellowed.
Possibly some kind of polycrylic varnish?

I "scrubbed" the surface with extra fine 800 grit sanding pads.
Still, it was so thin I rubbed through a keyline, but they are so poorly inked I have to redraw a lot of them.

Almost all NOS playfields benefit from a few keyline touch ups.

Very carefully applying a couple of thin lockdown coats of P2K.
Crossing my fingers that the old paint wont LIFT/crack/bubble etc.

First "mist" coat to lock down the finish:

1st lockdown coat (resized).jpg1st lockdown coat (resized).jpg

crazing is improved:
crazing improved (resized).jpgcrazing improved (resized).jpg

polycrylic cracking:

The cracking on most stargates is EXACTLY like this.

#168 8 months ago

The keylines around the inserts were very lightly inked.

I repainted the keylines where needed. They are solid black now

I slightly lowered the inserts somewhat flush.

I ran another mist coat to lock down my paint touchups, then another to be sure.

Next I dribbled clear into the worst crevices and ran 2 medium coats of clear:

stargate NOS (resized).jpgstargate NOS (resized).jpg

A few bubbles, but they will sand out.

bubbles in insert crevice (resized).jpgbubbles in insert crevice (resized).jpg

Ribbing is mostly gone and the playfield is starting to flatten out:
flattening out (resized).jpgflattening out (resized).jpg

The color is starting to "pop" and you can easily see the color separation between the colors now!

Tonight I'll sand it flatter, remove un-needed clear, and do a HEAVY coat of clear.

We will see how it looks in the morning.

It might need sanding and one more heavy coat to get ready for the buffer.

Its starting to look better.

#170 8 months ago
Quoted from Biju:

Very cool!
My PF just needs a ton of elbow grease to get all of the grit off of it. I'm worried I'll take off some of the art with how much I'm scrubbing but it's got to get cleaner than it currently is before I can give it a proper waxing.

Mylar can be cleaned and buffed out.

Just be careful not to burn thru it.

#171 8 months ago

playfield is coming along.
it just needs flattening and buffing and remove unwanted texture:

crazing/cracking is corrected
crazing corrected (resized).jpgcrazing corrected (resized).jpg

final paint before buffing:

final coat 1 (resized).jpgfinal coat 1 (resized).jpg
final coat 2 (resized).jpgfinal coat 2 (resized).jpg

#172 8 months ago

I waited 2 days to final sand and buff:

Machine "wet" sanded with 1200, 1500, 2000,3000 then 4000.

Buffed off with mirror glaze 205, finshed with high speed buff of show car polish 7:

final buffing (resized).jpgfinal buffing (resized).jpg

There is one touch up that the black didnt match, but its not going to be noticeable when assembled.
Everything else is pretty good.

WAY better than the factory finish.

final buff 2 (resized).jpgfinal buff 2 (resized).jpg
Mylar will not be needed on this playfield.

#174 8 months ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Looks beautiful! Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

This is what I started with:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-woes/page/4#post-7725306

Being the LAST NOS playfield on earth, it needed restoration.

It actually looks better today after 4 days of curing.

It will die back a bit over time.

I'll likely put another coat of clear before putting it in my game.

But thats 12 weeks from now. It has to dry.

#175 7 months ago

I have been battling the ball count issue for awhile and its finally solved!

It seems it was not a ball count issue AT ALL!

The ball count was correct, I was getting EXTRA balls in play.

I was getting an effect like this:

The problem occurs ONLY if there is one ball in the trough and One ball drains.
This single ball causes the ball thats ready to be released to jump the gate-stop.

The effect occurs when the power is slightly UP.
The effect occurs during 3 ball multiballs mostly.

After the game warms up or is hot from playing a few games the problem goes away.
This is just due to some coil fade and less coil power throughout the game.

As this problem is intermittent, it was difficult to diagnose.

When the game cools off the problem returns.

The fix was pretty simple and would have worked in the case that was presented in the video above.

The outhole kicker on these system 3 games is pretty anemic, specifically to avoid the ball bouncing out past the gate.

To improve the outhole performance, I have unwound the outhole coil enough to bring the Ohms down to 10.5 ohms.

This has done WONDERS to keep the balls from accumulating in the outhole, or getting 2 balls in the trough to be kicked up the trough ramp.
The normal coil WONT kick 2 balls let alone 3.

Under examination, the ball sitting at the release gate is too high!

The centerline of the ball is WELL above the gate latch.

It takes very little force to "rattle" the ball over the latch.

This only really happens when there is only ONLY 1 ball at the end of the trough.

Multiple balls seem to absorb the shock pretty well.

The adjustment is in 2 parts:

Place #6 washers under the outhole release mech to raise it slightly, and to raise its centerline HIGHER than the centerline of the ball.

There are 4 screws to hold the mech in place. The washers go UNDER the mech's plate at each screw hole.

There is plenty of clearance for the latch to work with a single washer, 2 washers will bind up the latch.

part 2:

Where the ball rests at the end of the trough AT THE LATCH, bend the left inner rail of the trough ramp DOWN about 3/64".

Make this bend at a length of about 1" of the inner left rail.

You dont have to bend the right rail. If the ball is sitting too high still, feel free to bend down the right rail slightly.

I just used a nut driver and pounded it with my hand to bend the inner rails down a bit.

This causes the ball to rest more to the left in a slight "pocket".

The ball will still release properly, but cannot be "rattled" out and over the latch.

The right rail (that is now slightly higher than the left) will keep the ball "in-line".

With these adjustments, no matter how HARD you fire the ball at the release, it will stay in place.

2 months later
#177 5 months ago
Quoted from ParkRangerPinball:

Wonderful thread, BTW. Fellow Stargate owner. Thank you for documenting all of this for, as you said, such an un-documented game.
How's the new playfield?

The new playfield is GORGEOUS!

5 coats of clear machine sanded down did the trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-woes?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.