• Stargate 29 votes
    32%
  • T2 17 votes
    19%
  • Whirlwind 44 votes
    49%

(90 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

Ok guys I have narrowed it down to three very different machines. One of these will live next to my lotr. Please give me your preferences.

#2 10 years ago

Next to a LOTR & as a 2nd game, I might go with WW. Very different than LOTR & a system 11. But I like the whole "opposites attract" theory in a small pin lineup.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Keep them coming! Pros/cons, whatever.

#4 10 years ago

Looks like your topic has the best options in the right order to begin with. Go with your subconscious.

#5 10 years ago

T2 - Fun, fast, gets the blood flowing for super jackpot, but nothing much esle to it.

Stargate - System 3 reliability, wizard modes, best system 3 in almost every ones opinion

Whirlwind - Not super familiar with this title. Alpha numeric (opposed to the other 2 being dot matrix), fun shots, not sure of full rule set.

I would say Stargate if you want the total package for a good price, T2 if you want a easily sellable solid pin with a fun theme, and whirlwind last but mostly because im not familiar with it as much as the other 2.

#6 10 years ago

Can't go wrong with any of them, but I give the edge to Whirlwind. I think Whirlwind is one of the most fun games ever made.

--Luke

#7 10 years ago

Owned each, kept Stargate.

#8 10 years ago

Stargat all day. Whirlwind is shallow and is not near as reliable as Stargate.

#9 10 years ago

Seems to be close between Stargate and Whirlwind.

The positives for sg are: Great art work, theme, toys, shots, and constant multiball. The negatives are cramped lower playfield, difficult to maintain control multiball, and annoying call outs.
My positives for ww are: Funfactor, great variety of shots, unique design (spinners and topper), interesting layout.
Negs: I don't love the artwork/theme, and possibly staying power..
I wonder if it would be hard to land another sg if I traded it. Could I easily pickup another ww when we move to another place?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Stargat all day. Whirlwind is shallow and is not near as reliable as Stargate.

Not sure what to say here.WW has a lot going on as in not shallow.Reliable again ??? System 11's are very solid.Never heard of Stargat though to be honest.

#11 10 years ago

Whirlwind blows, T2 was ahead of its time ... but Stargate is out of this world.

#12 10 years ago

Lol stargat. I just have had nothing but problems with my WW. Im not saying that's its the most unreliable its just that sys3 games are certianly more reliable

#13 10 years ago

WW is awesome. It beats the shit out of T2 and SG

#14 10 years ago

WW > SG > T2

that is my order for what it is worth to you.

Best of luck in your search for a new game.

#15 10 years ago

If you get WW you need to do the Jeri Ellsworth fan motor mod.

viperrwk

#16 10 years ago

OMG, A gottleib is in the lead? Over B/W titles. Hell has frozen over.

#17 10 years ago

SG and WW are both great games!

Since you already have a deep game, you should decide what sort of variety means more...

another deep game with a completely different feel and great Gottlieb super LE mojo= SG
a less deep game but also very fun and a different feel that = WW

#18 10 years ago

This is not at all the way I expected this poll to go. Someone just told me the other day that Williams will always out selI Gottlieb.

#19 10 years ago

One last bump..

#20 10 years ago

Whirlwind (by a huge margin) - then T2........then a really distant 3rd place finish with Stargate. (not a Gottlieb fan here, but I do think SG was their best offering and is fun to play)

#21 10 years ago

Whirlwind is just simply one of the classiest games ever made.
Stargate is a total piece of 90s Gottlieb.

#22 10 years ago

I haven't owned a Whirlwind, but I have owned the other two. T2 got old quickly. Stargate was different, great rules but it just didn't feel right. I'd go with Whirlwind - something new and different (plus, I'm a Lawlor fanboy and gravitate towards his games).

Good luck with the decision.

#24 10 years ago

I voted for Whirlwind but I'm a fan of all of Lawlor's Bally/Williams games.

The people saying Whirlwind is shallow have probably never gotten the Super Cellar Door or multiple million-plus shots.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

I voted for Whirlwind but I'm a fan of all of Lawlor's Bally/Williams games.
The people saying Whirlwind is shallow have probably never gotten the Super Cellar Door or multiple million-plus shots.

What is this? I don't see it in any walkthroughs and I rarely hear about it. I love my DPd WW but it kicks my azz.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

What is this? I don't see it in any walkthroughs and I rarely hear about it. I love my DPd WW but it kicks my azz.

If you complete all seven of the Cellar Door panels, it lights for Super Cellar Door: 2M points, special lit on one outlane, and all seven of the awards. The Cellar Door then stays off for the rest of the ball.

The third flipper ramp during multiball scores 2M, then 3M, 4M, 5M, 6M, 7M, 8M, 9M, then stays at 10M throughout multiball. I've personally not gotten past 9M but you can rack up a huge score in the right multiball.

I've seen some extra-vicious Whirlwinds out there. I don't know what it is, but I saw one where the Grand Champion score was only 25M, and the number of tolls to get the first extra ball lit had dropped to 2 and stayed there.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If you get WW you need to do the Jeri Ellsworth fan motor mod.

viperrwk

Ha,Ha, I think she made the mod as a joke She used a leaf blower if I remember correctly .

#28 10 years ago

Feel the power of the wind!!!

#29 10 years ago

I'm still searching for a WW myself,anybody got one for sale? Don't have to be collector quality. I'd prefer decent playfield with no raised inserts,but if they don't hurt ball travel much, I'd take it :)My f-14 has slightly raised inserts but I don't hink it bothers the game play much at all if any. The mylar at the flippers will seldom cause it to drain if the ball is traveling super slow, but when does that happen on f-14? lol.
I'd be possibly willing to trade f-14 and some cash, but ain't in a hurry to get rid of it. It's a classic with a great light show. Especially with LED's

#30 10 years ago

FEEL THe POWWWEERR!!

WW>>>>>>>SG>T2.. WW is a true classic playing a nicely dialed in one is treat. The others are okay as filler games.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

FEEL THe POWWWEERR!!
WW>>>>>>>SG>T2.. WW is a true classic playing a nicely dialed in one is treat. The others are okay as filler games.

What he said.

#32 10 years ago

I have to think the vast majority of people have never played a well-dialed in STARGATE, as it is a thing of beauty (esp for the price).

WW is good, but SG is just as good in my mind. Very different but still VERY good.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have to think the vast majority of people have never played a well-dialed in Stargate, as it is a thing of beauty (esp for the price).

I agree. When I get a chance, I'm going to post a video of mine so people can see what a properly tweaked Stargate is all about.

That being said, I think WW may be a better companion to LOTR than SG. SG is very deep, and it's nice to have a mix of deep and shallow pins in ones collection.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have to think the vast majority of people have never played a well-dialed in Stargate, as it is a thing of beauty (esp for the price).

Stop projecting you own feelings for the game onto other people

I've played them right out of the box, and later in perfect condition, and it's maybe my lowest rated game

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

WW is good, but SG is just as good in my mind. Very different but still VERY good.

I totally agree. Mine has no trouble nailing all shots. Spader's call outs are no problem if you hold the flippers for a few secs at the beginning of your first ball. I think it's a truly misunderstood pin.

I just hope that if I trade mine I can land another in the future.

#36 10 years ago

STARGATE Seems to be the best of the 3 for fun and game play .

#37 10 years ago

Hi,

You're obviously going to think I'm biased as I currently have a Super Nice SG up for sale on pinside marketplace as of this morning but I've played all of them. While they are all fun there really isn't much "meat and potatoes" with T2 or Whirlwind. I find SG to to definitely be the best out of the 3 you're considering. Many people have considered SG to be the best System 3 ever made and it's truly built like a tank. I don't think I've ever seen a better Translite. All the best to you with whatever you decide to purchase.

#38 10 years ago

I have owned a stargate and its fricken great, I like gott sys 3s tho, I own a ww, and I LOVE it. Top 2 imo, I find T2 shallow and Its fun but not mind blowing. I traded my SG for a BSD and Im happy, miss the SG sometimes,,, either one of those is great...

#39 10 years ago

Haven't played Stargate much, but Whirlwind blows T2 out of the water. It's classic, simple and fun. T2 is just a yawnfest.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from sterlingpinball:

Stargate Seems to be the best of the 3 for fun and game play .

Don't forget the build quality, that thing is built like a tank!

#41 10 years ago

I've like all three, but I like T2 the best.

#42 10 years ago

If Stargate said Bally/Williams on it instead of Gottlieb...it would be a 4k plus machine...Awesome game and really no contest....If ya get tired of it's tutoring call outs, just hold the Flips for 3 Seconds before launching the ball. Huge bang for your buck
HA! edit...see you bought one, and also know the flipper trick....

#43 10 years ago

Any game that can blow me will usually win. WW can blow me while FH's Rudy takes my balls down deep!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree. When I get a chance, I'm going to post a video of mine so people can see what a properly tweaked Stargate is all about.
That being said, I think WW may be a better companion to LOTR than SG. SG is very deep, and it's nice to have a mix of deep and shallow pins in ones collection.

Didn't you just make a comment about my games not to long ago.

#45 10 years ago

I own a stargate, and I am looking for a Whirlwind (summer is coming! need a fan!)... Both are good, if not excellent, games.
T2 is fun, I like the theme and enjoy playing it but wouldn't own it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Goodrich, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-vs-whirlwind-vs-t2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.