Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by FLpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Your thoughts on adding one to a collection. Yes i know the two themes are vastly different. But if all things were equal (Price range, condition, etc) what would you go for?

#2 11 years ago

Both games on the absolute bottom of my lists; I think both are kind of dreadful.
I will always go B/W over any Gottlieb though; which to me just play horrible. Stargate is my lowest rated game ever I think.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Both games on the absolute bottom of my lists; I think both are kind of dreadful.
I will always go B/W over any Gottlieb though; which to me just play horrible. Stargate is my lowest rated game ever I think.

Bro, can you elaborate further as too why? (bottom of your list)

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I mean I realize everyone has different tastes but 'Dreadful' seems kinda harsh, no? Of course I've heard similar statements about TMNT, Congo and Starship Troopers, and I love all 3 of those games too, so maybe it's just me. I think Flintstones is great. I used to want a Stargate BITD too, but I have never played that one so I can't comment on it.

#5 11 years ago

90s Gottlieb games feel like complete shit to me...it's hard to explain really, but the feel is all wrong...flippers especially. If YOU are familair with Gottleib games and don;t mind them that's cool, to me I no likey. SG seems to be a popular game so my opinion is just 1 opinion. I also hate the sounds and layout of SG; Depressing to play really.

Flintstones is maybe the ugliest game I have ever seen, and I wouldn't let it anywhere near my home. It does have some neat tricks to it like the changing ramp returns, but it also is depressing looking & sounding. It's certainly better than SG though....i have played FS and then played it again right after, which cannot be said for SG. Then you look up and Rosie O'donnel is staring at you, sweet christ no thank you.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I mean I realize everyone has different tastes but 'Dreadful' seems kinda harsh, no? Of course I've heard similar statements about TMNT, Congo and Starship Troopers, and I love all 3 of those games too, so maybe it's just me.

It's not harsh to me, it's just the way it is. It doesn't make me happy that Stargate is the machine I hate the most, as it states in my review, I like the movie love the shows, just hate the pin. Congo is pretty fun and ST I actually liked when i played it.

#7 11 years ago

For two games that are not universally liked they sure are hard to find.

#8 11 years ago

Go Flintstones and get the cartoon alternate translite and center mylar decal....Rosie O'Nasty problem solved.

My major complaint about Stargate is my same dislike of Jurassic Park....great orchestral movie soundtracks that get turned into 8-bit sounding crap.

Later,
EV

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

90s Gottlieb games feel like complete shit to me...it's hard to explain really, but the feel is all wrong...flippers especially. If YOU are familair with Gottleib games and don;t mind them that's cool, to me I no likey. SG seems to be a popular game so my opinion is just 1 opinion. I also hate the sounds and layout of SG; Depressing to play really.
Flintstones is maybe the ugliest game I have ever seen, and I wouldn't let it anywhere near my home. It does have some neat tricks to it like the changing ramp returns, but it also is depressing looking & sounding. It's certainly better than SG though....i have played FS and then played it again right after, which cannot be said for SG. Then you look up and Rosie O'donnel is staring at you, sweet christ no thank you.

LOL yes i would surely go for that "Alternate" trans!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Go Flintstones and get the cartoon alternate translite and center mylar decal....Rosie O'Nasty problem solved.
My major complaint about Stargate is my same dislike of Jurassic Park....great orchestral movie soundtracks that get turned into 8-bit sounding crap.
Later,
EV

Thank you

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you look up and Rosie O'donnel is staring at you, sweet christ no thank you.

Haha. If Flintstones was the exact same game but themed to the cartoon it would be a much more desired pin. The bowling is cool on it.

Of the two I'd go with Stargate. Tons to do. Better theme (for me at least). Feel's not an issue for me but I also don't mind the feel of DEs, Segas, or Sterns. Which seems to be a deal breaker for some.

#12 11 years ago

I have not played Flintstones, but I did own a Stargate. I hated that game. I always wanted one because it looked interesting, but like TheLaw said, nothing about it felt right. The sounds were annoying. It's a very big machine and IMO ugly as hell. The artwork is crud and looks old and weathered. The DMD animations are lame. I never know why so many people hated Gottliebs until I owned a SG. I really really disliked it and could not wait to move on from it.

Like I said, I've never played Flintstones, but I'd go for that one becuase SG IMO was no good.. I know some people love Stargate, and that's awsome, but just not for me. Good luck!

#13 11 years ago

Like both nothing bad about them both one of the best gotliebs
And some intrersting features on flintsones like you can play bowling inside a pinball. Ingenious ideas for both games

#14 11 years ago

Respect and thank you all for your feedback!

#15 11 years ago

I like Stargate. Mine plays fast and it's difficult. Great toys like the 'Horus' targets, especially the 'Glidercraft', and the layout design is an inspired use of ramps, wireforms and kicking targets. Coincidentally, it is similar to the new X-men.

'Ra' isn't a difficult wizard to achieve but 'Sandstorm' certainly is. Many complain about the instant skill-shot multiball but I don't find the juggle very easy. Also, the call-outs can be reduced by holding the flipper buttons before the ball release.

I have yet to play Flintstones IRL but I would like one; big fan of Trudeau's designs. Not sure where I would put it though.

... so, I think you should get both!

My gameplay video:

#16 11 years ago

Getting both good idea but it all depends on how much he has to spend

#17 11 years ago

Flintstones everytime. Had both but couldn't get on with Stargate, just felt kind of clunky and dreadful soundbites.

Flintstones is a nice fun game in a larger collection despite the dreadful artwork.

#18 11 years ago

I rather enjoy Stargate. Best DMD Gottlieb IMHO.

One of the biggest complaints is the constant call outs telling you what to shoot...:SHOOT THE PYRAMID!" But....it's my understanding you can turn that feature off. It's actually nice to start with but it won't be long and you'll be turning that off.

Otherwise I think it has a very interesting layout with some fun shots and is fairly deep.

Never played Flintstones.

#19 11 years ago

Flintstones.......Stargate is not bad, but not as good as Flintstones.

#20 11 years ago

Love Stargate! It's a multiball festival. It does not go idle for long. One negative is the call outs but otherwise a way underrated game.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

One of the biggest complaints is the constant call outs telling you what to shoot...:SHOOT THE PYRAMID!"

I don't know what Gottlieb was smoking back then. Shaq Attak was exactly the same. "Shoot the spinner...shooooot the basket!" Still burned in my goddamn mind 18 year later!

#22 11 years ago

Stargate is IMO head and shoulders above FS, and the best Gottlieb DMD. Three wizard modes, nice layout, great ramps, very nice looking with one of the all-time great backglasses, multiball heaven, the "pop up" targets, the cool glider-craft, good animations, the list goes on. I sold mine a while back to keep within the pinball room space, but will but another when space permits as I miss it.

#23 11 years ago

Oh, and as mentioned, the voice call outs are annoying, but you just hold the flipper when starting and they are gone. Be handy if this could be done permanently via a setting, but once you are used to it no exactly a big chore!!

#24 11 years ago

Stargate.

#25 11 years ago

I like my Stargate. It does feel different that a B/W game, but I don't think different is bad. It's good.

It's not a fan layout like a lot of pins, it's got really cool steep ramps that are satisfying to hit, fantastic artwork, backglass, lighting and sculptures, and great rules. It is multi-ball heavy, but it's cool that you start with 2 balls, and have to complete objectives to get the third ball.

For me, If you've already got some B/W games, Stargate is a fantastic addition for that 'something different' in your collection.

But, I kind of like the Flintstones machine, too...

#26 11 years ago

I'm waiting for Stargate to come down further in price(or just find a cheapo one) and retheme it to a Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis theme. I'd change all the sounds and music, too.

Someday..........probably right after my Baywatch-to-Futurama retheme.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I'm waiting for Stargate to come down further in price(or just find a cheapo one) and retheme it to a Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis theme. I'd change all the sounds and music, too.
Someday..........probably right after my Baywatch-to-Futurama retheme.

I don't believe it's going to 'come down' in price any time soon, honestly...

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I don't believe it's going to 'come down' in price any time soon, honestly...

I wouldn't think so. It's ranked 60 and tons of people like it.

#29 11 years ago

I usually see routed semi-beaters going around $1800 or so. Is that about right?

#30 11 years ago

Flintstones !! Ya Ba Dab A Doooo

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I usually see routed semi-beaters going around $1800 or so. Is that about right?

I got mine in a package deal, but it was in great condition, and I'd estimate I paid about 1500 for it, considering the other machines value...

#32 11 years ago

That's not California pricing, but I like it! That makes me think I can find a beater for at or under $1000.

That's definitely doable....

#33 11 years ago

Seems like those SG haters dislike it for many reasons except the deep rules and challenging goals and unique layout.

It is a good complement to B/W games. But yes it feels different. Not necessarily worse -and just different. I think it's a tough game to beat, and can provide variety to a cookie cutter collection. It's not my all time favorite but it's a deep challenging game that is less boring or repetitive than many B/W games.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Seems like those SG haters dislike it for many reasons except the deep rules and challenging goals and unique layout.

Oh I dislike it's layout very much. Think the left side is kind of wasted.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh I dislike it's layout very much. Think the left side is kind of wasted.

Left side has a lot to shoot for. The first drop target is a really hard shot, and hitting the guard over there is really quite tight.

#36 11 years ago

I do know that SG is a back-breaker!

#37 11 years ago

Flintstones, when tricked out, is one wonderful looking pin with loads going on. As one who has owned 3 other system 3 Gottliebs, Stargate is cool too, but hell man, its like comparing what kind of pizza you like. I prefer Flintstones as they are beyond hard as hell to find, but both pins are " sleepers". Have fun~SpOoKy

#38 11 years ago

I love My flintstones it a fun game

#39 11 years ago

Flintstones. Love the Bowling Alley and the Machine and the 3rd flipper and the ramps shots are satisfying.

#40 11 years ago

Stargate is hands down an amazing machine. GTB sys 3s are rock solid design, and maybe the most reliable pin series ever built. Most folks I have spoken with who dont like stargate seem to not understand the ruleset which does take time to grasp so if you dont play into it you may not get there, there are so many ways to score and you really have to take an approach to play for a good score. I say this all the time but if Stargate said williams on it it would be a $3K pin. Its obviously not for everyone.. mines never leaving..

Flintstones is pretty fun, but theme kills it for me, I really like the gameplay, artwork is horrible imo... both are very fun

#41 11 years ago

Flinstones is better but get the other backglass, and make a few modes with added cartoon toys.

#42 11 years ago

Stargate by an inch.

#43 11 years ago

Stargate is a good game. Deeper than usual rules for a gottlieb of that period. Art is not so bad. Animations are fine. It is difficult and you need a strong flipper to climb the left ramp. Quartz trade is an interesting concept. Options are well balanced.

Quoted from OTTOgd:

'Ra' isn't a difficult wizard to achieve but 'Sandstorm' certainly is.

Same experience.

Quoted from OTTOgd:

Many complain about the instant skill-shot multiball but I don't find the juggle very easy.

I haven't checked but I assume you can disable this by changing game settings?

#44 11 years ago

I love my Stargate. It should be set to hard(er) though I think. And indeed: lots of people don't get the gameplay at first. I really like how you can choose what to play for (modes, missions, 3x value during well-scoring mode (like White Water 5x during multiball), etc).

I kinda like the music: feels old-school. But the reason I love the game is mostly the rules and the layout.

#45 11 years ago

I have had Stargate and stopped playing it after a month in a 3 pin collection. Way too cramped and the game was not liked by anyone who played it at my house. Flintstones has been in my 10 pin collection for 3 months and gets played a lot and is fun. I got the alternate translite and playfield decal and love it even more. Bowling is fun as many other shots. The game is well liked by family and friends . FS is better by A million miles. I have owned 30 machines in 5 years and i rank SG 29th only ahead of Teed Off another BAD Gott title.

#46 11 years ago

The one you like

#47 11 years ago

I respectfully thank you all for your comments. I am trying to buy a Flintstones(losing Rosie trans of course)!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-vs-flintstones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.