Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stargate_ropelight_hack.jpg
015.jpg
great_news.png
alien_dance.gif
Ihatethesnow!_001.jpg
image.jpg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 11 years ago

Had to be the worst feeling in the world....Game was strapped in wrapped in brown tarp...He parked it up against another car night before....Came out and straps and tarp there but no Stargate....I feel really bad for him. He was visiting his parents before heading over my house to complete a trade with a guy from Rochester for a nice ES.

Police came and field out report. Just curious if this has happened to any other pin guys. I guess we will keep an eye on CL and he may check in with local pawn shops...

Just curious if anyone else has come out the next morning to see a game stolen out of their truck? If anyone in MD/DC/VA see a SG for sale that seems suspicious please let me know. In 5 years in the hobby this has never happened to me or any of my friends.

Thanks Mike

#2 11 years ago

Thats nuts. Not an easy heist to pull off. You need to have a truck and some guys to make that happen.

#3 11 years ago

That's insane! Really sorry to hear that. I never thought anyone would attempt to steal 300 lb item like that. Guess I was wrong. Even worse, it was probably traded for $100 worth of crack..

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Thats nuts. Not an easy heist to pull off. You need to have a truck and some guys to make that happen.

Sadly it is easy. Opportunists cruise around looking for things like that. Lawn tractors, snow blowers, even trailers with boats or snow mobiles on them parked with for sale signs.

Usually not a pinhead, so keep your eyes open in a couple hundred mile radius for a game for sale.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

My friend is devastated. Never thought this could happen either...Cop car parked 5 cars down all night too.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I never thought anyone would attempt to steal 300 lb item like that. Guess I was wrong.

Guess again. Look at construction sights, and how much heavy machinery disappears.

Not always for drugs. Some are into this for big money.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah it should pop up for sale! Sucks man, sorry to hear

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

My friend is devastated. Never thought this could happen either...Cop car parked 5 cars down all night too.

I am sorry for your friend.

But a cop car is no deterrent. Especially if the people doing this know the area.

#9 11 years ago

Theft is rampant now in my neighborhood, gas, cat converters, snowblowers you name it.
They case the neighborhood during the day and come back at night and load up.
We have a lot of part time vacation cabins and when the people come up to use them they find they have been cleaned out.
A pin wouldn't last an hour up here in the bed of an open pick up.
A lot of people up here have the old mentality and leave things unlocked like you used to be able to do, times have changed lock it or lose it and sometimes even that isn't enough.

#10 11 years ago

Check ebay also.

A friend had a bike stolen and saw it on ebay. He made sure he was the high bidder and showed up with the cops after he won the auction.

It was a rare good ending to a theft case.

#11 11 years ago

It's a sad state of affairs for sure, plus the condition of the current economy isn't exactly helping... (Supposedly getting better though) Sorry to hear of your friends loss.

#12 11 years ago

Hopefully if one does show up on CL or Ebay, he can prove it's his, like knowing the serial # or some unique distinguishing feature.

#13 11 years ago

My friend had a 12k banshee stolen out of his truck while he was in burger king. He backed up to a brick wall they chained his front diff ripped truck away from wall and 4 guys stole the banshee. happened in less than 3 minutes while he ordered his food.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

happened in less than 3 minutes while he ordered his food.

That's unreal.... It seems like you can't trust anybody these days. I'll try to remain optimistic about my fellow man though.

#15 11 years ago

Insurance?

His auto might pick it up.

#16 11 years ago

Is he on Pinside? If not get some details about the machine if you can.

#17 11 years ago

That just sucks some punk kids yep look on CL & pawn shops

#18 11 years ago

if nobody has the serial, are there any identifying marks on it? Are there pics available to share so pinheads could be on the look out for it?

#19 11 years ago

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/hammerhead1550/library/SG1?page=1

here are the pics...pretty typical unshopped SG. Nice condition...Im sure person is going to try and sell it somewhere...

Not sure how pawn shops work....Would they check some sort of stolen report for a pin?

#20 11 years ago

Key visual details:

Lock bar brackets installed on both sides of coin door
Clear diagonal scratches on left side of cabinet
Cabinet damage where legs attach
Slightly drooping right flipper
Slightly outgassing DMD
Posts and white rubber rings look new, post sleeve rubber and flipper rubber don't

Let's bag this punk.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 11 years ago

Well, you've got those long white scratches along the right side of the cabinet, that playfield wear above the flippers, and the # 137921 under the coin box. Should be able to ID it off of that

#22 11 years ago

^^^ I was typing while you were

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Not sure how pawn shops work....Would they check some sort of stolen report for a pin?

Pawn shops generally fax in their "buys" on loan each morning to the PD (depending on the laws of the city).

Do not expect that anyone at the PD cares enough about the game to actually look.

Call around and ask the local pawnshops if they have any pinball games. Don't lead on that you are looking for one that got stolen.

I would not count on that the game will be sold or pawned. Lot's of non pinheads would love to have a pinball machine in their basements.

#24 11 years ago

Post a wanted to buy on CL

#25 11 years ago

That really sucks, would never think that would happen. I'm sure everone who reads this will keep an eye out for.

#26 11 years ago

And post it from the local area it was stolen.

#27 11 years ago

A shop here in aus had multiple pins and arcade machines stolen last year. In the first year in my new house I had heavy tools like a whacker plate and a whipper snipper taken from my garage. Garage was open me and my dad were going back and forth from garage and my yard all day. Someone had balls to do that with cars in the drive and being broad daylight with us around

#28 11 years ago

I did not think there was crime in Australia Always looks like a perfect place to me.

Thanks for all the comments. At some point somewhere down the road the pin will appear for sale somewhere. Will be neat if this thread helps it find its way home .

#29 11 years ago

That sucks. I'm in that camp that would leave a pin in an open trailer thinking that no one would bother since its so heavy. After hearing your story though, I'd rethink that. hope it turns up.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I did not think there was crime in Australia Always looks like a perfect place to me.
Thanks for all the comments. At some point somewhere down the road the pin will appear for sale somewhere. Will be neat if this thread helps it find its way home .

I think it's more that they're not bothered by crime in Australia; they're all criminals anyhow.

#31 11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. That just makes me sick.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Guess again. Look at construction sights, and how much heavy machinery disappears.
Not always for drugs. Some are into this for big money.

Yep, these guys were not amateurs. They knew how and were ready to steal a large object in seconds w/out loosing their cool. They probably expected an industrial air compressor or some piece of expensive machinery. There are guys who drive around with tow trucks and flatbeds, and who make a living stealing high-end equipment.

#33 11 years ago

We don't have as much serious violent crimes and murders, not really any guns around either, but we still have theft and bashings. Quite afew stabbings where i grew up too

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Unfortunately not.Everything must be bolted down or locked up.Just like anywhere really.Give an opportunist half a chance and see what happens.

Quoted from Collin:

I think it's more that they're not bothered by crime in Australia; they're all criminals anyhow.

No no no...we're convicts.Sent to Australia to do hard labour for stealing a loaf of bread.

#35 11 years ago

First, have your friend add the description notes and pics to the Police Reports ASAP. If it shows up he will need that as proof.

Second, if it does show up FS let the police handle it. As much as he is going to want to smash heads it's not worth it.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Insurance?

I had a high end camera stolen and my home owners paid for it. Something about contents of home even transported are covered clause, I was surprised but t was called something like gold blanket coverage. I had a new Sony in a week, thats when digital cameras was over 1200. Maybe there is hope for him.

#37 11 years ago

I had a $200 trailer hitch taken off my van in front of my house a couple years ago. Under a street light, great neighborhood, trailer hooked to the hitch with a lock on the trailer. They stole the neighbors birdbath and broke it up to use it under trailer jack to jack trailer off hitch one then cut the lock off the trailer.

It totally blew my mind someone would work that hard to steal a $200 hitch. So any more nothing surprises me.

Anyway, we are just north of you in Central PA so I keep my eyes & ears open. Sorry to hear about this but tell your buddy to check with both home owners & car insurance to see if either will cover it. Never hurts to at least check!

#38 11 years ago

I will keep a look out. That's crazy!

I knew there was a reason we always park the truck right in front of the restaurant window when we dine on the road...

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Insurance?

Homeowners claim not auto. Auto insurance does NOT cover things which are not permanently attached to the automobile.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Homeowners claim not auto. Auto insurance does NOT cover things which are not permanently attached to the automobile.

Thanks John, I thought that is how is was, just seems strange that way.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Thanks John, I thought that is how is was, just seems strange that way.

Yeah, I was once licensed for both in 48 states. Technically, some people may have riders or amendments on their auto policies but a normal FAP does not cover items that are not permanently attached.

The misunderstanding comes from these loose items are covered under property damage but that's for third parties. For example, if someone else ran their vehicle into your pin hauler you could make a claim under their PD coverage for your auto and pinball machine. Turn that around - your pinhauler strikes someone else's vehicle (your fault) and nobody's auto insurance is paying for the pinball machine.

For further questions, please read your policies.

I'm sorry to hear about the theft. We have probably all stopped places with machines in our vehicles. They usually seem to garner no attention.

#42 11 years ago

I'm too paranoid to leave a pin in a truck over night, but that really sux. Sorry that happened. Hopefully the pin is returned in good condition.

#43 11 years ago

That's a bummer of a story,
I hope you catch the bastards and hopefully Pinsiders keep their eyes peeled for this stargate.
Luckily nobody has messed with any pins in my van up and down the Westcoast.

#44 11 years ago

That sucks but like Lloyd stated they are probably in it for the money not the pinball machine. Keep your eyes out on CL or local classifieds. They will likely try to off this quick for a buck. Does he have any pictures or serial numbers to give to the cops??

#45 11 years ago

I've had one close call and one theft. The first one was a Space Shuttle and a Bally Star Trek. I had them wrapped in front of my garage, waiting to be picked up later in the day. I see a beat up pickup pull in to my driveway and park, and two dudes get out with faces only a mother could love. I start watching them...looking around, around and around and then they enter my garage. No knock on the door, just enter my garage...
I go out and say what are you doing? ''uh, umm...hi, we're small time pickers...looking for things of value...''
Long story short, I told them get lost.

Early last fall, I bought my daughter a Suzuki jr50. I kept it in the house but had it on the back porch a few nights. Nobody could see this bike except for a small view from my neighbors house, where he had several contractors and hired hands (younger guys) coming and going all week long. i'm 99% sure it was one of them that swiped it one night. It really bothered the hell out of me, still does. I wish I could have seen whoever did it, doing it, because I would have beat the shit out of them right there on my lawn.

Sucks about the SG. Here's hoping that it can be found! Makes me think twice about it, because I have done things like that, parking with a game in the open, several times.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I've had one close call and one theft. The first one was a Space Shuttle and a Bally Star Trek. I had them wrapped in front of my garage, waiting to be picked up later in the day. I see a beat up pickup pull in to my driveway and park, and two dudes get out with faces only a mother could love. I start watching them...looking around, around and around and then they enter my garage. No knock on the door, just enter my garage...
I go out and say what are you doing? ''uh, umm...hi, we're small time pickers...looking for things of value...''
Long story short, I told them get lost.

Wow, the effin nerve of some people, thats when Id walk out and rack my shotgun.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

thats when Id walk out and rack my shotgun.

Not the wisest idea. The courts will put life above property. You don't want to go to jail for a thief. Or worse, some of these people are very prepared for trouble. And will have no trouble killing you. You have children or a wife or parents or brothers or sisters ? They will miss you.

The situation sucks, but don't make it worse.

#48 11 years ago

+1 hangings to good for the likes of those that would steal.

#49 11 years ago

That sucks, but why would he leave that in the back over night anywhere? Pull it out and throw it in a garage or inside the front door. My cart always comes with me.

I've had to leave ones in the back of my van, locked, overnight a couple times, and I always breathed a sigh of relief when looking out in the morning to see it was there.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not the wisest idea. The courts will put life above property

Castle doctrine, and my speed pump 7+1rnd shotgun will raise some hell. But I dont live in a city setting so chances are slim anywho....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-stolen-from-back-of-friends-pick-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.