Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JeremyON
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

The right flipper of our Stargate pinball machine works while playing but not while in test mode or tournament mode, although the left one does. We've tested the sensor board and it works and have also done the ground mod. Thinking its something wrong with driver or cpu board. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

It sounds as if you're saying that the right flipper won't fire at all in test mode or tournament mode, is that right? The other option is that the flipper fires, but the system doesn't recognize that while you're cycling through the menus.

When did this problem appear? Have you ever had the machine working correctly?

#3 11 years ago

The right flipper doesn't work at all in tournament or test mode, so we can't change any settings. The left does work in tournament/test mode and both of them work while the game is active. We only got the game a few days ago and its has had this problem whole time.

#4 11 years ago

Do you have a copy of the manual? Can you follow schematics well enough to validate the wiring?

Both the left and right flippers are switched on and off at the same relay. It's possible that a dirty relay could cause either side to not work, but I can't think of a way that would follow tournament/test mode. I think either the bad side is less consistent than you think, or someone has hacked your machine and it's not operating as designed.

In the cabinet, on the right side is a relay marked 'Q' that switches power to your flippers. That relay may be either dirty or faulty, and cleaning it might fix your problem. I can look at my machine tonight and provide some details on how to clean it if no one else chimes in.

#5 11 years ago

Which right flipper? Upper, lower or both?

viperrwk

#6 11 years ago

The problem only occurs when navigating the test menu or tournament. Left flipper works fine, can navigate through the menu options, such as book keeping and game settings. Right flipper button is supposed to select/change the settings but does nothing at all. While playing the actual game itself, i have no problem with either the left, right, or top right flippers. Its only when i want to change settings that it does nothing.

Wiring appears good, everything is grounded, and sensor board is fine. I'll try cleaning the Q relay, didn't even think about that.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from robert119:

Thinking its something wrong with driver or cpu board. Any help would be appreciated.

Gottlieb never used a solid state flipper drive. That basically means there's nothing in the electronics that could cause the left flipper to work independently of the right. The flippers always switch on and off together. The Q relay is the only point of failure that could cause both right flippers to not flip, while the left flipper still does.

The sensor board detects when the flipper is active, and passes the flipper state to the switch matrix. The CPU reads this signal, and navigates the menus accordingly.

Your problem is confusing me because you're describing a problem with the Q relay that comes and goes as you cycle in and out of the menus. I just can't imagine a failure mode that would cause that to occur.

#8 11 years ago

Not that familiar with Gottlieb so bear with me.

While it's normally best to consider all symptoms, there are those times where this will lead you down a dead end (as in this case). When that happens it's best to focus on one symptom that should be solvable.

In this case I would focus on the right flipper not working in test and leave the tournament issue for later.

I would presume that the diagnostics input (flipper button pressed) comes from either a stacked switch or (I think in System 3) the flipper sensor board. Whichever, I would start there. Hopefully rancegt can chime in here with more specifics.

Sorry, but with no schematics can't be more specific.

#9 11 years ago

Hi Terry,

You basically have it right. The trick is that the sensor board won't know anything if the flipper doesn't fire at all. I asked about this early on, and he seemed to say that the flipper isn't flipping at all in test or tournament mode. If the flipper is flipping, but the menu isn't recognizing the flip, then we go down the sensor board/switch matrix path.

Quoted from rancegt:

It sounds as if you're saying that the right flipper won't fire at all in test mode or tournament mode, is that right? The other option is that the flipper fires, but the system doesn't recognize that while you're cycling through the menus.
When did this problem appear? Have you ever had the machine working correctly?

The right flipper doesn't work at all in tournament or test mode, so we can't change any settings. The left does work in tournament/test mode and both of them work while the game is active. We only got the game a few days ago and its has had this problem whole time.
#10 11 years ago
Quoted from robert119:

The problem only occurs when navigating the test menu or tournament.

Hey rancegt.

I read it as he can't navigate the test menu using the right flipper button. The flipper wouldn't actually fire while navigating the menu, would it?

But I clearly could have read his meaning wrong.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Hey rancegt.
I read it as he can't navigate the test menu using the right flipper button. The flipper wouldn't actually fire while navigating the menu, would it?
But I clearly could have read his meaning wrong.

Now you're making me doubt myself, but I'm pretty sure that my flippers fire when I'm in the menus. I'll have to check when I get home. I'm positive that my wipe out wouldn't read the flipper switches when I had no flipper coils, but on the schematic I can't see why that would be true.

If the left flipper doesn't flip while in the menus, and the sensor board really is good, as it says above, then the problem would almost have to be A15P1/J1-Pin 6 at the sensor board or it's associated wire. I think anything else would cause other symptoms.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Now you're making me doubt myself

Don't do that. As I said I'm not that familiar with Gottlieb, just wouldn't think the flippers would fire while you're navigating the menu (based on logic, not knowledge).

#13 11 years ago

Flippers fire on Sys3 when in solenoid test stepping through each solenoid. If OP is saying left flipper fires all the time when stepping through the menus then there's a different problem. But OP really hasn't clarified what the problem is.

viperrwk

#14 11 years ago

Sorry for slow reply, its been a busy day, snowing like crazy down here. Sorry for the confusion, let me clarify. The playfield flippers themselves work fine, while playing the game. However, when navigating through the menus, the right flipper button does nothing. Its supposed to select/change options, like changing high scores, switching to freeplay, etc. but it does nothing. The left flipper button works fine, allowing you to go up/down options but that doesn't do any good, without being able to change anything.

The playfield flippers don't fire, while in the menu, but i'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to. We have a que ball wizard that uses the same Gottlieb 3 setup. It's in 100% working order and it doesn't fire the playfield flippers, when navigating the menu. I switched the sensor boards between the two and nothing changes, in either, so i know those are good.

Going to recheck the wires/connectors again, in case i missed something. Other than the menu/flipper problem, game works pretty good. Thanks for the help so far.

#15 11 years ago

Well i found the issue. Switches 22/32 were completely wired wrong and missing a bridge. The circuit wasn't complete and causing everything associated with it to fail, can't believe i missed that. Thank you for all the feedback, it's much appreciated.

#16 11 years ago

Congratulations on the tough find. It doesn't seem like System 3 calls out a switch that hasn't been used for a while as bad, though it would be nice if they did. I guess this proves we should always expect unusual stuff when we get new games.

This thread has made me really start to wonder why my flipper buttons didn't work on Wipe Out without the coils. I guess I'll have to experiment and see if I can replicate that sometime.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Congratulations on the tough find. It doesn't seem like System 3 calls out a switch that hasn't been used for a while as bad, though it would be nice if they did. I guess this proves we should always expect unusual stuff when we get new games.
This thread has made me really start to wonder why my flipper buttons didn't work on Wipe Out without the coils. I guess I'll have to experiment and see if I can replicate that sometime.

That's because the player can perform a switch test before starting a game - no need to enter diagnostics.. Hold down the start button and hit the right flipper button before entering a credit. It won't work in freeplay but its a great feature for location-based games.

viperrwk

6 years later
#18 4 years ago

Thanks for the post. I had the same problem. Who would ever guess that an issue with switches 22/32 would cause a problem with the right flipper. It's such a problem too because without the right flipper there is no way to run diagnostics or do the switch test that the previous poster shared.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-right-flipper-not-working-in-test-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.