Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stargate wleds.JPG
DSCN3524.JPG
DSCN3523.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a Stargate & it has what looks to be the typical varnish cracking & peeling up everywhere where the mylar is not...my question is, can the varnish be removed & if so, how...will that now leave the playfield exposed to potential further damage? Is the only real solution a playfield restore whereby the mylar & varnish is removed & clearcoat applied?

#3 5 years ago

Couple pics as an example...

DSCN3523.JPG DSCN3524.JPG
#4 5 years ago

at this point I think its safe to say it is easier to pretend it isnt there? lol. Most SG's look like this no?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

at this point I think its safe to say it is easier to pretend it isnt there? lol. Most SG's look like this no?

Yes, most do. Just play it.

#6 5 years ago

Ha! That's what I'm wondering...is this typical of SGs or Gottliebs of this era in general? If so, what options do I have to remedy...I can only pretend it isn't there for so long

#7 5 years ago

Yup. I'm pretty sure you'd have to sand this down and reclear to get rid of it. There is about 20 years of gunk in all those little cracks

I have the same issue on Stargate and Freddy. With the lighting in the game room correct, you'll never even notice it.

I would pay attention to where the wireforms drop the balls into the inlane, the sarcophagus entrance, the pyramid entrance and the left side apron kickout. Those spots are notorious for wear. I touched up and recleared those spots on mine and covered with mylar. Unless this is your favorite pin of all time and you want it collector's quality, i'd just leave the current clearcoat alone. Otherwise you'll sink way more into it than you can ever hope to get back if you ever need to sell. Not that profit should be the most important thing, but this hobby is expensive and anything you can do to remain cash neutral, at least, is better

#8 5 years ago

Can I at least clear out the gunk & dirt from the cracks w/ the magic eraser/rubbing alcohol method...or won't really help...just leave it alone?

It still has the mylar & other than a couple spots in the left outlane & inlane there isn't a bunch of playfield wear which is a good thing...just this varnish cracking/peeling issue throughout...last question, knowing that this exists throughout what is the right price range for this pin that is fair?

Maybe at some point I'll do a restore if I decide it's a keeper...just want to make sure I remain cash neutral on this deal and not lose a bunch of cash if I decide to move it.

Thanks guys!

#9 5 years ago

I have tried just about every cleaning method and, short of sanding out all the little cracks, have never gotten them 100% clean. Even if you do, the edges of the cracks maintain a "foggy appearance.

It is absolutely fine to leave it as it is. But please, for the love og God, put down some mylar where the ball drops off the wireforms. About 90% of Stargates are bare wood in these spots. This pin has a lot of multiball modes. 8 or more, if I remember right. Protect the high wear spots and it'll stand up to home use

#10 5 years ago

Using magic eraser and then clear coating the playfield is about the only way to 'get rid' of the effect. It is still there, but not nearly as noticeable.

#11 5 years ago

That's what mine looks like. My advice, leave it alone unless you are planning on a clear coat.
Clean it, wax it, throw in some led's and you won't even notice it unless you look for it. Put mylar under the drops as others mentioned.
Price range for a decent one in my neck of the woods (pac nw) is $1500-$2000 and they are hard to find.
I love mine and think its a total keeper. Cheers!

Stargate wleds.JPG
#12 5 years ago

Typical of those PF's, no value in restoring high end, unless you're a massive fan (and before you answer, give it a year).

As others have said, just play it as is, with the glass on and the lights out, you'll likely never see the issues. My buddy when he got one of these went through the same thing, fretting over the spider cracks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 42.00
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Long Hill, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside