(Topic ID: 80209)

Stargate pinball and DMD extender! Color!!

By nerbflong

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by marlboroa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sideart.jpg
red.JPG
clear.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I've been playing with Dr. Pinball's DMD extender http://www.drpinball.co.uk/dmdextender.htm and adding color LCD screens to several pinball machines (Shadow, Johnny, WCS94) I also have a few machines with ColorDMD in them for the full color(Well, more than 4 colors) Its addicting! Orange DMD's need to go

So the next machine on the list was Stargate.. The DMD is out gassing on the corners so it had to go. The problem is Gottlieb machines that I've seen use a speaker panel with the red actually printed on it! So... time to clean out the red. A little frog tape, paint stripper...

red.JPGred.JPG

And 5 minutes later:
clear.jpgclear.jpg

So now we have a nice clear panel for the LCD to show through. Dr Pinball's kit comes with a power cable that taps into bally/williams J116 connector for 5/12 volt power. Unfortunately Stargate doesn't have that. So I tried to get the 5 and 12 volts off the DMD connector. Just have to be careful of the high voltage. Connect once, voltmeter measure twice.

Sadly, the DMD power connector didn't supply enough amperage on the 12 volts to power the LCD driver and panel. The 5 volt was plenty for the DMD extender and PI thankfully. For the 12 volts I ran a separate power suppy to the service outlet in the machine. So for now that works.. And with no signal, the screen goes to sleep. I use a power strip anyways to turn games on.

Anyways, sorry for the long post lol. Here's the finished product!

I chose the colors from the side art and playfield. I had all purple at first but liked the gold, blue and purple. The DMD animations match the sideart pretty good now.

sideart.jpgsideart.jpg

Fun stuff!! Many thanks to David for updating his code to handle Gottlieb games!

Another nice thing for using LCD panels? You don't hear those noisy DMD's anymore!!

#2 10 years ago

good job! ... miss my SG

#3 10 years ago

Very cool, I need to do this to one of my machines.

#4 10 years ago

Exceptionally Sweet!

#5 10 years ago

Dang, nice work, that color palette works really well for "false" colorizing. Definite huge improvement over shades of orange for sure.

#6 10 years ago

Nice! I would have a hard time taking off the red on the original panel rather would look at reproducing another one. Now I have to get off my ass and do this as its so much better than stock. Excellent work!

viperrwk

#7 10 years ago

Where do you buy the color screens?

#8 10 years ago

If you have a cheap DMD that still works that you want to sell pm me.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I think most people are using a LCD panel from a laptop. You can buy those for around $50 on amazon.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Nice! I would have a hard time taking off the red on the original panel rather would look at reproducing another one. Now I have to get off my ass and do this as its so much better than stock. Excellent work!

Not a big deal really. My panel is in poor shape. And you can always add a red filter if you want the original look back.

Quoted from hank527:

Ebay. I got the models from this post: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd

I tend to go with the 1080 displays just in case.. Its only 128x32 dots blown up, so a lower res display would be fine, too.

Quoted from marlboroa:

If you have a cheap DMD that still works that you want to sell pm me.

I have several but all suffer dim corners and burnin

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

I have several but all suffer dim corners and burnin

Im fine with that. how much you want for one if you want to sell one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-pinball-and-dmd-extender-color and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.