(Topic ID: 138836)

Stargate: paint, overla, or leave it be?

By Bbismuth

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

The bomb bugs me the most. I think I could handle it. Would a high res scanned sticker work? Also, the insert decals aren't available. Can you paint on inserts?

Thanks for any input.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

The bomb on my PF has wear also. Its pretty common. Problem with a decal is having to pull the mylar up which may cause more damage.
I would leave it or do some minor touchups to distract attention from it if it bothers you.

#3 8 years ago

Clean it, scan it, make a water slide and put a thin mylar over the small area.

No one will notice unless you point it out or go to sell it, and its reversible so someone can do a real touchup/restore later if wanted. Just do NOT Magic Marker it.

#4 8 years ago

I would touch it up. I had to touch up some big wear spots on mine, it came out great and was easy to do.

#5 8 years ago

The Mylar was already removed when I received it. I think that's why the inserts are missing some paint.

I might look into the water slides. I really know nothing about them. Do you use your regular home inkjet?

Anyone have high res scans. Maybe I can scan mine and fix it in Photoshop.

Thanks for the feedback!

#6 8 years ago

Take a look at the Vid's guide to playfield restoration. He details about slide decals. )

#7 8 years ago

I went into some more details about the waterslide decal process here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-touchdown-playfield-repairs-with-waterslide-decals

The missing paint on the insert is going to be tricky. I might be tempted to remove all the paint on the insert then do a decal. Or, possibly fill in the missing area with a neutral gray, then an overlay. I'm not sure which would work better, or if there is another option that might be better.

Also, on the left side of the image where the pain is starting to chip away--you may need to protect that area from further damage.

#8 8 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now to go price laser printers.

#9 8 years ago

Found a laser printer. Is there a reason I couldn't use a nice camera to scan the areas I'm interested in? If not, any scanners that you'd recommend?

Long shot...does anyone have high res scans of a Stargate?

#10 8 years ago

Scanner is easier, but yes you can do it with a good camera.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/tutorials-and-techniques/196-recreating-playfield-or-cabinet-graphics

The handheld scanners aren't bad, but do take a little technique to get a good image.

I forget the model, but there's a discontinued HP scanner that works great and some newer scanners will work if you can remove the top and lay the glass flat on the area.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potentially-a-nice-scanner-for-playfield-repair

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Found a laser printer. Is there a reason I couldn't use a nice camera to scan the areas I'm interested in? If not, any scanners that you'd recommend?

For pricing on printers, be sure to check newegg.com and amazon. They tend to have some of the better prices these days.

As for the scanner, the good thing about it is that it is a direct 1 image. If you scan and then just print it out, it is an exact size match.

With a camera--there are lighting differences, color variances, shadows, the angle at which you take the photo, incorrect size, focus, etc. It is much better and easier to scan, and you will end up with something much closer to the actual thing you're scanning.

The HP 4670 is the best scanning option so far, but it was discontinued and is only available used. They pop up on ebay all the time, which is where I got mine.

I don't have any experience with hand scanners. All I can say is do your research and read reviews--not all hand scanners are created equal. I imagine one problem with hand scanners would be distortion of the image since it would be very difficult to move it in a perfect straight line--but maybe some scanners compensate for that.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now to go price laser printers.

Most every office now days has a color laser printer. Could you or your spouse or buddy print it there? Certainly some trial and error is involved in printing anything, but perhaps you could stand over their shoulder, after hours one evening.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't have any experience with hand scanners. All I can say is do your research and read reviews--not all hand scanners are created equal. I imagine one problem with hand scanners would be distortion of the image since it would be very difficult to move it in a perfect straight line--but maybe some scanners compensate for that.

All you have to do is setup a guide for the scanner. A t-square or something similar. I've got a fancy setup, but it's not really necessary.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

The HP 4670 is the best scanning option so far, but it was discontinued and is only available used. They pop up on ebay all the time, which is where I got mine.

There's a lot of newer scanners where you can remove the top, flip the unit over and lay the glass on the scan area. They're small and light enough to make this feasible. It's getting extremely hard to find a working 4670 on ebay any more so I don't think it's necessarily the best option.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

All you have to do is setup a guide for the scanner. A t-square or something similar. I've got a fancy setup, but it's not really necessary.

Good idea

Quoted from terryb:

There's a lot of newer scanners where you can remove the top, flip the unit over and lay the glass on the scan area. They're small and light enough to make this feasible. It's getting extremely hard to find a working 4670 on ebay any more so I don't think it's necessarily the best option.

Do you have an example? Most scanners I've seen are not designed to scan artwork--just documents where the scanning glass is recessed a little bit.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you have an example? Most scanners I've seen are not designed to scan artwork--just documents where the scanning glass is recessed a little bit.

Good question. I was looking at one a few weeks ago and will try to find the info. In some cases you might have to remove part of the bezel, but I didn't see that as a huge deal (at least in my case it would be a pinball only scanner).

#16 8 years ago

Just removing the cover off a standard document scanner won't quite result in a 1 scan or be completely in focus because of the space between the bezel/surface and the glass. It would be close, but not perfect.

#17 8 years ago

That's the word I meant to use instead of top cover.

#18 8 years ago

Here's the one I was looking at. No modification required. The scan area is only 4" by 6" though.

http://www.cultofmac.com/253522/doxies-new-see-through-handheld-flatbed-scanner-will-make-you-flip-review/

I know I've seen a couple of other full size ones, I'll have to look around some more.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Here's the one I was looking at. No modification required. The scan area is only 4" by 6" though.
http://www.cultofmac.com/253522/doxies-new-see-through-handheld-flatbed-scanner-will-make-you-flip-review/

Nice find. That might work well for scanning small areas without having to strip much off the playfield.

#20 8 years ago

I came up with another question. The Mylar has already been removed. Should I just keep it waxed. I don't know if I really want to get into clearcoating.

#22 8 years ago

You will need to protect any touch-ups that you do. If you don't want to clearcoat then put down a layer of wax and then put the mylar on top of the wax. It will then protect the area, but come off easily in the future.

1 week later
#23 8 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input. I'be just done a test print on scrap Manila paper. I'm waiting on the decal paper and the laser jet. Ignore the color match. I'll work on that when we get the printer hooked up. image.jpegimage.jpeg

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

I'be just done a test print on scrap Manila paper.

Best typo ever!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from PIN_GROOM:

Best typo ever!

:/

#26 8 years ago

Maybe it's just me but mind the stroke thickness on the cloud like feature under the pyramid.

#27 8 years ago

Left side should be thicker? I agree. Will tweak.

#28 8 years ago

The best way to "hide" that a decal is to cut it along the black lines, rather than cutting it straight across colored areas.

Having three seperate squares like that is going to stand out because color matching won't be perfect, and you will see the white edge of the decal paper.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-touchdown-playfield-repairs-with-waterslide-decals

#29 8 years ago

Thanks. I have since cut them down as much as possible and as close to a straight, black line as possible. These are just paper test runs though. Maybe I shared it too soon. I was just excited to have some progress.

1 week later
#30 8 years ago

I have the decal paper and a laser printer and am ready to print the files. However, I want to conserve decal paper and would like to put all of the files I am printing on the same sheet. I'm having trouble combining the files I worked on while preserving their original size. I am using the freeware program, Gimp, however the concept is surely the same across edition programs. I've been trying for a while and it's making me feel like even more of a doofus than I normally do.

#31 8 years ago

Hey Bbismuth,
I can help you layout your files, pm me and we can figure something out.

#32 8 years ago

Not perfect, but I can live with it. Thanks for the help.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#33 8 years ago

I think you did an amazing job on the decals! So are you ever going to populate it?

#34 8 years ago

Ha! Thanks. Waiting for that Pinball Resource order to go through then it's go time.

#35 8 years ago

It has begun.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#36 8 years ago

Keep us posted!

#37 8 years ago

did you end up clearcoating or just using mylar?
thanks
blake

#38 8 years ago

I'm just going to put mylar over the decals and select spots for now. If I can get it back together successfully and like playing it, I might consider it.

#39 8 years ago

Won't be too much longer. Waiting on a PR order.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#40 8 years ago

Wow, you didn't need any help at all. Looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-paint-overla-or-leave-it-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.