(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,378 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by ita47
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_120445 (resized).jpg
20240413_120413 (resized).jpg
20240413_120404 (resized).jpg
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
PXL_20240327_202526890 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240327_202541876 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240324_213917411 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181706696 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181041234 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181107406 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_120832.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gov.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 10 years ago

I will proxy here for my Dad that has a Stargate, but I have it on location with my Star Trek. He doesn't have a Pinside account. It really is a great game with an interesting rules set. It took me a while to figure out how the rules and multiballs worked. I think a lot of people are turned off by the amount of modes that are multiball, but the rules behind the modes really aren't like other games with multiball modes. No ballsaver on the multiball is brutal as well. It is just a gorgeous machine with a ton of toys packed in.

MetaPins.jpgMetaPins.jpg
#41 10 years ago

I think Waterworld is a fun pin as well. I would love to find one of those cheap.

#50 10 years ago

Regarding optos on Sys 3 games. If you have one not working, first thing is to check the opto board under the playfield and make sure the big resistors on that board are intact. There should be 4 of them. If that is not it, replacing the opto LED's seems to usually fix any other issues.

#52 10 years ago

Agreed, replacing the actual opto's is pretty easy without having to change out the board.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Waterworld does sound like a lot of fun. People just don't give System 3 Gottliebs much love. Gottlieb started that downward spiral in the early 80's and I think there was a lot of bias against their 90's DMD games based on their recent history at that time. I'll have to say I enjoy them and I have added Waterworld to my wish list based on what I'm hearing and the play videos I've seen. I would also like a FREDDY, but it's probably too scary for little kids, so not right now (I have a 5 year old). Maybe Waterworld will be my next pin!
As for scoring, I agree. Rebellion is a great mode. It always seems that after rebellion, I look up at the score and I'm always surprised at how many points I got from it. If only I could hit 3x scoring right before Rebellion...

Agreed, Sys 3 has some great titles. I am almost to the point that I like Big Hurt almost as much as Stargate. If only Big Hurt had a ramp for that upper flipper it could have been epic.

I really need to study the rules on SG though now that I am getting a chance to play more often.

#79 10 years ago

The great thing about Stargate is that is has so much cool stuff on the playfield already, it doesn't need other toys or mods. That topper is pretty freaking sweet though.

I have been loving Stargate lately. Once your really understand the rules, it is just an awesome pin. I was really lukewarm on it for a long time. I think the best mod that you can do for the game is to give the playfield a thick coat of clear and shine it up! LEDs look good too.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Mine has upgraded flipper coils. Makes it a lot easier to hit the ramps.

care to elaborate?

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

as for the flipper coils. I only went one step up from standard.

For those of us that don't know what is required to go "one step up", would you mind how one would go about that. I am assuming it is just getting the right coil and replacing it, but how to know which one?

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

just for the record, this does not mean changing the paper. You have to replace the whole coil.

That made me laugh.

#127 10 years ago

Wow, that looks really good. That mylar looks good too. So many of them are cloudy and look bad. I like the blue rings on the pops better than the white that are on my dad's machine. I wonder if pbresource has those.

#139 10 years ago

My dad ordered a rope light from pbresource.com and it looks great.

2 months later
#221 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I 2nd that >> gweem, what bulbs for the GI that fit through the tiny holes?

Yup, a list for LED's you used would be great! That is the best looking lighting I have seen on a Stargate by far.

Also, what is the super jackpot shot on Stargate? I have been playing my dad's a lot lately but I can't seem to figure out what the actual super jackpot shot is and how you get to it. I have advanced it to 400,000,000 before but have never scored it.

#227 10 years ago

I also got my first 5 way combo the other day on my dad's SG! That was as good as breaking a billion for me

2 weeks later
#267 10 years ago

Optos cause all sorts of problems with these Sys 3's it seems. If something is wonky that is the first thing I check.

2 months later
#306 10 years ago

I know it is heresy for some, but I put Williams style flipper bats on Gottliebs....

#313 10 years ago

I don't know about it playing better, but it looks better. My dad has Big Hurt and Stargate and both have the Williams bats. They are both great games.

#315 10 years ago

Technically they are generic bats, so it isn't that bad

3 weeks later
#323 9 years ago

I must be the worst Stargate player in the world.

#324 9 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

With it on the wireform the upper playfield is very well illuminated and, as an added bonus, the lights reflecting off of the ball as it rolls dowm the wireform is a very cool effect!

Can you show how you mounted this in detail? It is a cool idea.

1 month later
#354 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I noticed you have white pop bumper caps. I think they are supposed to be blue.

There were different colors.

2 months later
#365 9 years ago

On my Dad's Big Hurt and Stargate we just replaced the bats with BW bats and put rubber stopper grommets from a DE game so the flippers aren't catch all flippers anymore. Works great and they feel fine. Makes the games more challenging as you can't trap everything.

1 week later
#379 9 years ago
Quoted from marble:

Get Eye of Ra lit, collect 3x playfield transporter award and start Eye of Ra within the 30 sec timer.

Enjoy the timer not counting down during the multiball and collect at least the first easy super jackpot by shooting the center targets. If you happened to raise your SJ value to at least 400M, you've just scored more than a billion with one shot...

You make that sound simple

1 month later
#397 9 years ago

That topper is too freaking cool. If I owned a SG instead of my dad I would buy this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately he isn't into toppers.

1 week later
#403 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

Hallo from Germany,
i made some mods and LED Updates to my Stargate.
Greetings
Sly

20141123_161428.jpg 234 KB

20141123_161341.jpg 201 KB

20141123_161324.jpg 171 KB

20141123_161254.jpg 160 KB

20141123_161236.jpg 186 KB

Now that is freaking cool!! Do tell on how you did the eyes!

1 week later
#412 9 years ago

OMG, how big is that? Imgine replacing the ropelight inside the backox with something similar.

4 months later
#454 8 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

Got a good laugh out of it, and it turned out not to be a one-off occurance. At least two others managed to make the "7 Billion shot" during the evening. None of us could say why it was happening though. Guess I shot the shit out of that pyramid.

I have found on Gottlieb Sys3 games if you have a flaky opto somewhere it can start throwing up billions within a matter of seconds. We had a heck of a time finding it on my Dad's Big Hurt but finally found the one opto that was causing the problem. After it was replaced we haven't had a problem since.

6 months later
#600 8 years ago

Dang, those are some shiny ball guides

2 months later
#643 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

There's a board under the playfield that senses high voltage changes (like when you use the flipper button.) i forget the board's location, but it's fairly obvious when one. You have a problem there.

Thanks Clay, I will help him try and find what you are talking about. I think I have an idea.

#647 8 years ago

ya the slide system on this game blows

An update on the problem flyfisher was having above. It was indeed the sensor board that Clay referred to. We swapped it with the other on on the bottom the playfield and everything works great now

#656 8 years ago

My dad is going to do a write up of how he did his. He used small LED's and had to add some resistors. It looks fantastic and blinks and everything like it should.

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

yea but a new rope light from pbresource.com is like $20 is it worth it to do all that work?

yes because my dad bought 2 of those and both had bulbs go out within a couple months of putting them in. Also, if you are using cool white LED's in the backbox, using cool white LED's help it match the color temp better. That matters to some, some it doesn't.

He is currently making a blue rope light too, we will see how that looks.

#661 8 years ago

For one in good condition, I think that is a good price.

Things I would look for are wear by the flippers where the mylar doesn't cover. Drop Targets. See if the glider works and the flip up targets work correctly. Also make sure your rope light works.

#664 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Drop targets and rope lights are problems that are fixable

Sure, just pointing out that those are things to look for when negotiating.

Good call on the speaker panel.

#674 8 years ago

ya that and it stops before it gets to the flippers! I have always scratched my head at that one.

4 weeks later
#683 8 years ago

Gottlieb's are generally a bit easier to keep the ball alive. Without messing with the outlanes I am not sure what you could do other than waxing the crap out of it

My dad's game got a lot harder once he cleared the playfield.

As for the ball coming down the right ramp from the VUK, we have never had that problem on my father's game. If I remember I will try and take a picture of that area next time I am out there.

1 week later
#685 8 years ago

Novus 2 works well enough for cleaning the playfield. Then just use Carnuba wax just like you would wax a car.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gov.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid?tu=gov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.