(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,378 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by ita47
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_120445 (resized).jpg
20240413_120413 (resized).jpg
20240413_120404 (resized).jpg
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
PXL_20240327_202526890 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240327_202541876 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240324_213917411 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181706696 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181041234 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181107406 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_120832.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1733 1 year ago

Does anyone happen to have a spare MA-1770 add on speech board? Mine is missing. Even if it is for a different game I can order the ROM for it. If you have the DIP cable that goes with it that is a bonus but I can make one of those if needed.

#1734 1 year ago

So looking over my game I noticed that the fuse for the outhole is blown. A couple apron screws are missing on the front (would like to confirm the correct screws to use there) so someone has been in there before. I noticed there is a Williams coil in there and I have no confidence that the polarity is correct on the wiring. This is the first time I am trying to bring up the game. Past history unknown.

I have a manual on order but it would help to know the correct coil number and perhaps a picture of the wiring so I can confirm which wire connects to the banded end of the diode. I want to straighten all that out before replacing the fuse.

Also should the game boot ok without any balls installed or does it have to sense them before booting like some earlier games?

badcoil (resized).jpgbadcoil (resized).jpg
#1737 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have an interesting problem with my Stargate.
Its losing count of the balls.
I have already replaced the outhole switch (though it tests good and works perfectly.
The trough switch also tests perfectly.
I have added the spring mod to keep the wire gate from flipping up and letting a ball go backwards. This works very well.
The outhole assembly was a little crusty so I cleaned it all up and lubed the cam hinge with super-lube pen oil. It smooth as butter now.
The coil looks like its seen some heat build up as the sleeve is tight in the coil. It moves, but its tight.
The plunger isnt dragging and the coil isnt heating up after several games.
I know that the system 3 outhole kicker is anemic by design. Too hard and a ball will bounce over the ball release.
My outhole kicker will not clear 2 balls in the trough before the wire gate.
Also the outhole kicker seems slow to respond if I empty the trough and add balls one at a time. It can take 2 or 3 seconds the kick a ball sometimes.
Should the outhole kicker be able to clear 2 balls if it happens to have them there?
Mine wont and I think it should.
Also, I know that system 3 games dont like low power. Power can be low during this record heat summer.
Also, Im wondering if there is a filter cap under the playfield that might be going bad.
The problem manifests itself always after a multiball, when the game is under full load.
If the power is low in the playfield then the outhole kicker only kicks the ball up its trough ramp half way, then the ball rolls back down and the game thinks that a ball drained.
So, to sum up:
Is there a power problem that can be solved with a filter cap board?
Is there a crusty connection on the driver board?
Is the coil just weak? Do I peel of 2 layers of wire on the outhole coil the strengthen it up or replace it?
The ball release coil is the same numbered coil, and I can swap them for testing, but I need some more info first.
All of the above?
To be certain, can someone chime in to tell me if the outhole kicker is supposed to be strong enough to clear 2 balls in the lower part of the trough.

How is the voltage jumpered in your game? Is it set to 120V? Maybe swap the jumper and try it at 110V.

#1742 1 year ago

What are the correct length legs for Stargate? Are they the same length as the typical Bally/Williams legs? I think mine has a set of Bally legs on it now.

#1746 1 year ago

While I am waiting for my manual to arrive does anyone happen to have the list of rubber rings this game needs? I made quite a bit of progress and got the game running. Now has the correct coil for the outhole and that is working.

Also, what is the latest Main ROM code for this game? I have /3 in it now.

#1749 1 year ago

Thanks. That helps. I'm surprised no one added the qty of each size needed. At least that will give a good start.

#1751 1 year ago

I think Steve has a lot to do with it, as he sells the rubber kits.
I buy Gottlieb parts from Steve, Great prices and Great quality! I dont mind buying from Steve to insure a continued supply of parts.
I see a lot of DXF files and templates without dimensions these days, its odd but what can you do lol.
It takes more work to do a tech sheet, but I do a lot of them these days.
Ive been remaking a few rare pinball and coke machine parts...

The comment about the ring counts really doesn't have anything to do with Steve. It is more about calling out the oversight in the manual. The manual really should have the counts.

I usually get the ring kits from Steve and recently got sets for three other games. I just e-mailed him about ordering a batch of parts for this Stargate. I probably would have ordered a ring kit too but I have a friend that never uses the black rings any longer and was going to give me the ones I need for this.

#1761 1 year ago

There is a version 5? The latest that I found is /4 for the game code. Looked like when that is used there is also an updated display ROM. Seems that the sound ROM's and speech ROM are the same no matter what game ROM/Display ROM is used.

#1768 1 year ago

Yes this is true!
I was thinking that some games might have older boards in them as part replacements from operators.
If everything is original, you shouldnt need to do anything at all, just pop in the game ROM and display ROM if you need them.

Operators did swap boards around all the time. Mine had an MPU from a different game with quite a bit of prior work done. It also had the /1 revision of the ROM's. Waiting on some parts but I plan on rebuilding that as a spare board or possibly sell it.

Luckily I was able to find a completely roached container game. It was missing parts but had the boards in it. Fixed the MPU from that which has the /3 revision and is the correct board out of a Stargate, got the speech board that was missing, coils, fuses, and auto launch bracket. With those got the machine running!

Now I have quite a few spare parts. Last night rebuilt the spare DMD controller and spare power supply.

Just need to get some things from PBR to make it 100%

1 week later
#1769 1 year ago

Finished stripping the playfield from the roached container game I was using for parts. Was able to save a ton of great items. Playfielfd completely wasted, warped, corner rotted off, etc. but it has all the inserts, wire ball guides, etc. Anyone need any of those hard to find parts? I also have a spare fully intact playfield harness in good shape. Just needs a couple passes through the dishwasher. If you need any pieces just send a PM and I will see if I can help.

1 week later
#1778 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I picked one of these up recently and it has a couple issues I was hoping someone could help me out with. First, the center right upkicker fires once in coil test and stays up. It won't fire again unless I turn the machine off, power back up and run the coil test again. I am suspecting a driver board problem but wanted to get opinions before ordering a new one. Second, the outlane diverter won't screw down tight enough to keep it from sliding under the wire that it's supposed to rest on. Has anyone replaced one of these recently?

Probably have a shorted MOSFET on the driver board. I just rebuilt one of these boards as a spare for my Stargate. You can quickly test each one with the board out of it using a DIODE test on your meter across each of the three legs. A shorted one is obvious. Should use these on the board:

Transistor IRL530N N-Channel MOSFET 100V 12A TO-220

The L in the part number is CRITICAL! Do not just substitute in a IRF part. They have different threasholds for turning on. The L is the logic level version and the one it calls for.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=670160

Usually cheaper to repair that board than buy a new one. If you aren't comfortable doing board repairs there are several on pinside (including myself) that can help.

No matter what you should check the coil and assembly where it locked on. Bad switch? Mechanical issue? Shorted coil? Shorted diode? Wires connected backwards on diode? It is important to verify the game. If not you run the risk of blowing the same part on a brand new board you install or an old one that was repaired. Just popping in new boards is not always the answer.

#1779 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thanks both of you for the suggestions. Here is a picture of the plunger the diverter blade screws into. It's not in great shape.
[quoted image]

Are you missing the blade part? You can check with PBresource.com to see if they still have them. If not I may have a spare. In order to get my game going I had to buy a wasted Stargate that came out of damp shipping container for year. Although the game was a wreck it is a great donor machine full of good parts to help other games.

#1782 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Wow, the Stargate club steps up, thanks everyone! I emailed pbr re the diverter, its not on the site. Marco sells the plunger for $13 but also the plunger with cam assembly pin for $27. I cant figure out what the cam assembly pin does so not sure if I need to order it or not. Yes, I have the blade part and it seems fine. Here is the problem coil, maybe someone will see something I don't.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is the spring on it missing or just compressed under the cup? Does the plunger bind? If the coil got hot it may have started melting and deforming the coil sleeve. It it was overheated then it may be good to replace the coil and sleeve.

#1785 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I think you're right robot, there doesn't appear to be a spring.
[quoted image]

There should be a spring between that cup on the bottom of the plunger and the coil. That is missing along with one of the screws holding that entire assembly to the plaufield. Check the bottom of your cabinet for loose screws. I've found things in every games I've bought and sometimes missing pieces are there. You may even find that spring. I vacuum out all my games and knock loose and vacuum up the random solder blobs that previous repair folks leave stuck to the bottom of the cabinet.

That coil should have a diode on it and it may be there. It is on the other side of the terminal lugs (or at least should be) Banded end of the diode goes to the + coil voltage. Should be shown in the schematics. Would probably be good to clean up those solder connections too.

#1789 1 year ago

that entire mech needs to be rebuilt, replace everything, its trashed. Get the spare diverter from Robotworkshop.
the coil doesnt need a diode, they use a diode board.

The coil for the up kick does have a diode. At least the ones on mine do.

#1791 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I took the coil off to inspect and it does have a diode. I found a spring in a bag of extra parts the po left in the coinbox, not the 4th screw unfortunately. I also found one of the missing acorn nuts from the playfield caught on the end of the wireform at the top of the assembly. I'll get another screw tomorrow, clean up the solder connections and test again. I think you're right reno, the pivot post mech needs replaced. I'll give pbr and Marco a call tomorrow and see what I can get ahold of. I thought maybe jb weld might work if I can't find anything else.

The pivot coil may not need a diode. I’d have to check. You had asked about two different sections each with their own coil. The upkick I knew has one. Not sure on the rest

#1794 1 year ago

Its really confusing to me.
I was under the impression that all the coils went to the diode board.
Having an extra diode wont harm the system at all, but I wasnt clear on what coils went to the diode board and what coils didnt.
When in doubt, put in a diode. It wont hurt if its going the right direction.
I just replaced the outhole and ball launch coils under the apron. The originals had diodes on them and so did the replacements.

I’m going to have to dig out my manual and look at the schematics to see if it shows up.

#1808 1 year ago
Quoted from Looney:

I have an opportunity to buy a fixer upper Stargate. Are most parts available for the late model Gottlieb machines? Or, if X is missing or broken its near impossible to get?

I may be able to help. Ended up buying a ruined container game but it has been a great source of parts.

#1816 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I snapped the wire ball guide that the left outlane diverter notches into while trying to adjust it today. Has anyone else dealt with this?
[quoted image]

I'm sure I have that wire guide still attached to the playfield I pulled from the container game.

#1822 1 year ago
Quoted from Looney:

I had a look at the project Stargate, it seemed solid and complete. It powered on and I didn't see any error codes on start. The coin door is poor, shutting off power to the game when closing it. The flippers are totally dead save for a slight twitch from the upper right. The wire ramps have a lot of patina. Playfield looks pretty good, and the glider toy works, the boards and wiring also look good.
Here are some pics, what say you?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those are all pretty normal and pretty minor issues. The main game looks to be in good shape and should clean up well. As far as the flippers that may just need cleaning the end of stroke switches and cabinet flipper switches.

#1839 1 year ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Usually what I do when lifting the playfield is to take a couple of paper towels and bunch them up and put them in the drain and eject holes. Works well, just have to remember to remove the paper towels before placing the glass back on.

I keep a couple short lengths of the black foam pipe insulation for that. Had some left over and it has worked really well.

#1843 1 year ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

I was having trouble with the ball getting stuck in the Sarcophagus (not to be confused with the Right Lane, which is labeled "Sarcophagus" and where the ball also gets stuck, but this appears to be a design fault). It would kick out when I hit the flippers. I cleaned switch A1 and the issue was substantially resolved.
That lasted about a day. Now, every single time I make the skill shot 1) the ball gets stuck and is only kicked out by the ball search 2) I get the skill shot made message but no points and 3) there is no extra ball.
Help!

Mine seems to do the same thing. Sometimes it works perfectly but often waits until the ball search. Haven't tried to clean/adjust that switch. Need to check it with a ball sitting on it. I don't believe that one is a smart switch. Those aren't supposed to be adjusted.

#1846 1 year ago

Has anyone seem issues with the game constantly offering to shoot again even if you’ve had good scoring on a ball. I ran into this on a Street Fighter pin and it also happens on my Stargate from time to time. Want to see if I can isolate what causes that.

1 week later
#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I just tested the skill shot on mine. It registers skill shot and opens the pivot post after passing the opto on the wire form but does not award points and kick out a second ball until Switch 25 is hit. It then autoplunges the second ball and kicks out the first ball. I had a similar issue with Switch 31 registering in test but intermittent in gameplay resulting in delayed or non existent auto plunges and the right lane drop target staying up during ball save plunges. I cleaned Switch 31 and it resolved the issue temporarily but it came back. I replaced Switch 31 and have not had any issues since. Switch 25 is the same type as Switch 31. It appears what happens is the contacts wear down over time and change shape.

Just checked switch 25 on mine and saw it was gapped too far. Cleaned it again and re-adjusted the gap. Seems ok for now but I may end up replacing that switch too.

While I was working on it I noticed the fine wire from the left slingshot coil came off. Resoldered that and both slings are working again.

Still need to get the new rope light installed.

#1879 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The damn 2:00 minute minimum game time setting being enabled had my friend and I chasing a shooter lane switch issue that didn't exist.

What setting is that? Did the game just let you keep shooting after the 3rd ball? I may have run into that too!

#1882 1 year ago

I’m going to have to look for that setting and drop it down to the minimum too. Learned something new about the game today. Thanks for mentioning it.

When I replace all the rubber rings will check and clean all the trough switches.

Just installed a new rope light in the backbox this evening. What a difference!

#1884 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yeah will keep serving up balls on Ball 3 until you reach the 2 minute mark. We were just testing switches and gameplay and then wondering why the game wasn't ending. Turn that setting completely off for normal pinball.

Thank You! That was something I was not aware of and thought that there was going to be another issue for me to track down. That explains what I was seeing. I can understand Ball save if it immediately drains but the keep shooting until 2 minutes was actually annoying and I thought there was a problem with the game.

#1890 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am pretty sure my mm is broken. I bought one of the $5 harbor freight ones and it isn't giving me any readings. It just stays at 1 on ohms test at 200. I took apart the assembly, cleaned, replaced coil sleeve, and properly aligned. The plunger slides smoothly up and down the coil sleeve. The ball isn't making it to the top of the assembly, it makes it about two thirds of the way up and falls back down.

Those Harbor Freight meters are often more trouble than anything else. Occasionally you’ll get a good one if lucky. I had a stack of them that you could free with coupons. They were so bad most went in the trash. A meter you can’t trust with wrong readings is worse than not having one.

#1903 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I am getting 25 ohms at both the both the weak coil and the properly functioning coil. The chart calls for 24. I cleaned the fuse holder with alcohol and replaced the fuses. I checked the connectors and pins on the driver board, they all appear to be fine. Is there a way to test those? How should I go about testing the ground connections on the transformer?
[quoted image]

If you look at the driver board does it look like any prior work was done? Any of the transistors replaced? If so see if the ones replaced are for the coil you have issues with. Maybe someone used the wrong transistors. You cannot trust that any prior work on any game was done correctly.

3 weeks later
#1921 1 year ago

Is there a list of what was fixed or changed in the different Stargate game ROM versions? What is the latest version or the best version of the game ROM to use. I’ve seen /1 /3 and /4 for the game.

Just want to make sure I am running a good version on my machine.

#1922 1 year ago

In case anyone is looking for parts I have a box of random playfield parts that I posted on pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/146828

#1924 1 year ago

V5 is the latest/last version
Not much difference between V4 and V5, somethng about the watchdog circuit being adjusted.
I orderd v4 and a new DISPROM V3 from john's jukes.
My version was V1, so I needed the new DISPROM to upgrade.
If you already have DISPROM V3 you dont need to get it.

I have /4 in my game now so I should be all set!

#1929 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

If I were you, I would also procure the modded sound ROM, which removes the most irritating callout completely.
You must know which callout I am referring to! If not sure, take a wild guess!

Actually the shoot the pyramid hasn’t gotten to be annoying yet and seems fine.

The only thing I found really irritating was the default setting for a 2 minute minimum game. Set that to 0 and now it plays like a normal game. Before it seemed like there were switch issues or something wrong.

#1930 1 year ago

I was having an odd issue where the callouts and some sounds would just stop. Mostly callouts, Stargate sounds, etc. At first there wasn’t anything until I had rebuilt the auxiliary sound board with all new DIP sockets, RCA connector, YM2151 (old chip had pins rotted off), fresh sound ROM, and new 20-pin ribbon assembly.

Ended up buying a new 6295 VOICE SYNTHESIS chip from PBR and carefully installed that. Afterwards I haven’t noticed any lost sounds or speech. Finally plays and sounds as it should.

1 week later
#1950 1 year ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Just when booting up

With the power off I would unplug the short ribbon cable between the MPU and DMD driver to inspect for any damage or corrosion. Then try reseating it if it looks ok. If there is corrosion you could try some Deoxit spray to help clean the corrosion and then replace the ribbon cable.

If there are signs of corrosion I would also inspect the DIP sockets for the EPROM chips. My game was missing boards and the ones I found to rebuild for it had to have all the DIP sockets replaced.

Another thing to try if you haven't is do a factory reset to clear all the settings. After that you'll probably want to go back in and reset the minimum game time to 0 and tweak any other settings like freeplay, etc.

2 weeks later
#1977 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

It seems like the front door switch must be wired backwards. When I depress the switch in during edge test nothing shows up on the dmd until i release it back out. Here is a picture of the door frame from the outside showing the 2 switches. Here are also pictures of the wiring to the switch and the wiring to the tournament mode board and the credits button. Maybe someone will notice something off.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Something off? WTF is going on with the tilt mechanism? That is a new one.

2 months later
#2068 1 year ago

Is there a way of limiting the number of extra balls?

Do you have minimum game time set? The default is 2 minutes. I set it to zero. I leave ball save active since I think that is ok..

At first I thought something was wrong with the game or issues with the trough switches. Nope. Just a setting that should have defaulted to 0 like just about any other game....

#2071 1 year ago
Quoted from Mellow:

I just got a Stargate! I found these loose in the cabinet but cannot t figure out where they belong?
[quoted image]

I think those were just factory shipping blocks. Found a similar set in my game.

#2078 1 year ago

My minimum game time is set to zero also, but I'm struggling to connect your response to my question.

I misinterpreted your question and read it as why is the game giving me extra balls and how can those be limited....

#2104 1 year ago

Does anyone else run into a ball getting stuck in the Sarcophagus? A couple times now my game will complain it is missing a ball. Sure enough there will only be 3 in the trough. If that happens I just make sure to shoot one into the Sarcophagus and magically two will come out and all is well.

I haven't taken that part of the playfield apart but wonder if it is just a worn or missing rubber ring up there causing the problem. If it is a common issue what did you do to fix it?

3 weeks later
#2126 1 year ago

I was all setup to rebuild my board but decided to just replace it with a MUCH better one:
https://nvram.weebly.com/gtb-system-3-mpu.html
It boots FASTER and the game is a bit more energetic.
NVRAM included, no more battery!
Replacing 30 year old boards for more durable and stable electronics pays really well to future-proof the game.

It looks like a nice replacement for a missing or board that was messed by battery acid. But, Boots faster? It doesn’t mention that in the description and unless there is something unique done I am doubtful of that particular claim unless I see timings of that vs original. The NVRAM vs battery backed RAM shouldn’t make it faster.

I’ve had to repair a lot of pinball boards over the years but rarely had any requests for System 3 boards. The original boards seem to be pretty solid. The only ones I’ve had to do were for my own Stargate. Parts are still available and instead of the soldered in battery use a 2430 holder and coin cell. That coin cell is unlikely to leak and will run for years. I am a fan of NVRAM on other boards but a coin cell works great on these System 3 MPUs. Not expensive to add either.

The only boards that were a PITA were the pair of sound cards. Had to install new DIP sockets and the surface mount chip for the daughter board was bad making the speech cutout. Luckily those were still stocked at PBR.

#2128 1 year ago

Yeah, if boots faster and seems to run and process quicker on my game.
More crisp?

Same main ROM revision as before? Just curious what other difference there could be.

#2130 1 year ago

Yeah, V4 ROM
Its possibly just a more efficient achitecture.

But did you go to V4 ROM from an earlier version of the ROM at the same time you replaced the MPU? If so then it may be the ROM you are noticing and not the new MPU board. The description doesn't mention it is different, faster, etc. If it is but isn't mentioned then it wouldn't be an accurate matching replacement. Not necessarily a bad thing if it is called out and highlighted. Otherwise it could be a bad thing if someone expects it to behave as a exact replacement.

#2138 1 year ago

Food for thought:
I replaced my MPU, power supply and Driver boards to future-proof my game.
It may not be the least expensive solution, but I really like the "fresh" boards.
30 year old tech and rotting fiberglass were my primary concerns.

Some people prefer new boards and others like myself prefer originals when possible (with an exception for early Bally/Stern rectifier boards)

Here is some additional Food for thought and a different perspective. Unless the original boards are physically damaged by burned up parts, battery damage, or significant hacks by prior work there is no reason not to stay with them. Properly repaired and reconditioned boards are "Fresh" if done right. They should continue to run just as long. If not, then perhaps things were missed or corners cut when servicing the boards.

Any flaws with the originals are pretty well documented in numerous sources like pinwiki.com and bulletproofing threads on pinside. Following that and good practices when refreshing boards (like washing them and cleaning off flux after re-work) you shouldn't have any trouble. Just about every one of my machines run all originals and they are solid. I do have an aftermarket MPU in JD because leaking batteries ruined the original board.

I haven't heard of a lot of issues with the original Gottlieb System 3 board sets. If they are working I just don't see why anyone would replace them. Things like going over any cracked solder connections should be part of going through any game. When I get a new game all the boards come out, get washed, inspected, strip off any questionable prior work, perform any repairs (if needed), replace parts that do age like electrolytic caps, perform any updates/mods, depending on board some get new sockets, etc. They come out fresh and usually look like new boards again.

At least for me the original boards are easier to maintain and get parts for. I should be able to keep them going indefinitely. Many replacement boards went to mostly surface mount parts which aren't always as easy to deal with in repairs. Others have moved to incorporate larger programmable chips without published code or binary image that you can't replace.

#2143 1 year ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Link for recommended CR2430 battery holders?

I use these holders:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSD1LVS

and then you can use these batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797NYRHH

They last a long time and are unlikely to leak. If they die it is easy to pop a fresh battery in.

One is in my own Stargate and have done several others.

1 month later
#2188 11 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Hate to give up on it as the nvram was pricey

let me know what you find out...interested to know...

That is one of the reasons I replaced the original battery on mine with a CR2430 coin cell holder and popped in a new CR2430 coin cell. They last a LONG time and haven't heard of any leaking.

I do like NVRAM and prefer it for most machines but on these the holder and replaceable battery seem to be a great option.

#2190 11 months ago

Im sad to say, Im sending my CPR backglass back to Marco.
I like it, but its 3/6" too tall and wont fit in the game without re-working the H channel.
Im sending it back.
The PinWiki says that Gottlieb system 3 translite glass is 25" x 20"
This is not quite true, they are metric
Its more like 25 1/6" x 19 15/16"
CPR is WAY off on their measurements.
The recommended trim kit for it is also WRONG, its for a 27" williams game.
It fits the glass ok but needs to be trimmed a lot.
Im sending it back also.

Bummer about the glass size. I hope that they get it sorted out soon. Guess the initial ones can be used as wall art.

Unfortunately many of the trim kits need to be trimmed. I've had to cut to size the trim on Gottlieb System 80B and System 3 games. Also trim the stainless channel for a Bally Motordome (6803 game). Currently I need to trim down two more stainless channels and plastic channel for a Bally Mr and Mrs Pacman. I haven;t found any precut. The plastic is easy. Stainless is a pain and makes me worried that I am going to accidentally trash one trimming it down.

4 weeks later
#2196 10 months ago

DISASTER STRIKES ! ! !
My spidery, cracked up, 28 year old plastic ramp has finally broken.
[quoted image]
I imagine that I can fix it with epoxy and fiberglass tape.
Does anyone have a spare?
EVERYONE including Pinball Resource is out of them.
Should I just have some made up?
I live in the Reno area. Its the land of Custom signage and plastic forming.
Its time for Jody to make up a few "prototypes" until Steve gives his blessing.
Im "all in" to be a beta tester.

I think I may have a spare of that ramp in pretty good shape. Can check this afternoon.

#2198 10 months ago

I was able to find that spare ramp. It has damage and unfortunately is probably in about the same shape as yours. May make a good donor ramp for a pattern to make new ones.

2 weeks later
#2201 9 months ago

Check to see if all fuses are correct sizes and types. Look if any coils were changed and are they correct? Is the EOS switch shorted?

#2208 9 months ago
Quoted from Biju:

Ok, first problem is a 2A for fuse 24 and it looks like that should be 2.5A. Could be one reason why that's blowing early but now I clearly need to start working through all of the fuses before I turn it on again.
Once I get the head back on fully and reconnected I'll test the resistance on the coil lugs and EOS.
I did just find two full sets of flipper rebuild kits in the box he gave me so at least I don't need to buy those.

If the fuse is underrated that could explain it. Also check for the proper type. If it calls for a slow blow then a regular fast blow may pop and open when the other wouldn’t. Do not install slow blow fuses in place of fast blow.

Check them all.

#2225 9 months ago

I would get fuses from pinball life, Mouser, or Digikey. Avoid cheap fuses on Amazon, etc unless they are name brand American fuses.

A lot of the cheap fuses are not the correct physical size and often slightly smaller. Close enough that you don’t notice. But when installed they end up being loose in the fuse holder. I’ve looked at machines for friends that weren’t working and both ended up being those cheap garbage fuses. Really can’t say enough bad things about them. They suck and cause more problems than they solve. The quality fuses littlefuse, Buss, etc aren’t that much more expensive and worth it.

#2228 9 months ago

I bought high quality Bussman "made in the USA" fuse holders for my Stargate power box. $12 each.
Others were $2-$3 each.
They are absolute CRAP!
The metal contacts are soft and bend over time causing the game to abruptly shut down.
Gone are the super hard, high quality contacts the grip super tight, as in the old days....
Im looking for a better solution but so far nothing has come my way.
For now I have squeezed the contacts VERY tight and applied solder to thicken up the fuse caps.
Its holding.
Its a VERY changing world, you dont always get what you paid for.
If I can find a German made or higher quality, I will replace them.

My post mentioning busman was referring to their fuses. Fuse clips are another story.

#2233 9 months ago

The sound board in Stargate is very different than TSPP. So I don’t expect that fix would apply.

First I would check to see if your game has a ground lug on the power cord and if it is connected. A lot of times those are cut off. If it isn’t there fix that first.

Look for any ground connections in the game that are off or loose and fix those. Next reset the connectors for the sound board.

If the problem is still there the it will need additional troubleshooting

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.