(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,221 posts
  • 180 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 375 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5455 (resized).jpg
IMG_5482 (resized).jpg
IMG_5493 (resized).jpg
IMG_5495 (resized).jpg
49587CE4-0981-4B99-9035-8AB7054C24B0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191013_221236941 (resized).jpg
74131986-8D84-4C89-904D-20B9DC6A97FD (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190905_174151.jpg
20190905_083852.jpg
36DDE119-F686-4FE5-A85C-B5EB6A9AEFC2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190807_160305205 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190807_225820266 (resized).jpg
2019-08-08 15.19.02 (resized).jpg
2019-08-08 15.18.23 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Stargate2 (resized).jpg

There are 1221 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 25.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

I made some mods and LED Updates to my Stargate ...

Love the LED eyes!

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

i made some mods and LED Updates to my Stargate

Love the eyes AND the lights in the pyramid. Did you take any pictures of the process?

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

Hallo from Germany,
i made some mods and LED Updates to my Stargate.
Greetings
Sly

20141123_161428.jpg 234 KB

20141123_161341.jpg 201 KB

20141123_161324.jpg 171 KB

20141123_161254.jpg 160 KB

20141123_161236.jpg 186 KB

Now that is freaking cool!! Do tell on how you did the eyes!

#404 4 years ago

Hi there

the eyes and the lights in the Pyramid are mad with fiber optics.

I drilled holes through the head and insert the fiber optics and cut them on the way out,
then i put a led in the back of the head and mount it on the fiber optics put the wires out and
close the backside ot the head with a silver foil.

In the Pyramid also holes where drilled and the fiber opics go out in the backside between the flasher lamps. There i put two orange LEDs on.

I did't take pictures of the process but i could make some of the finished pieces.

Greetings
Sly

#405 4 years ago

20141124_211132.jpg 20141124_211106.jpg
#406 4 years ago

I would love for a tech guru to show me how to wire LEDs as eyes that light only when the guards lift.

#407 4 years ago

That is a simple trick and it works

When the guard goes up the wire is put back and down to the hole of the playfield.

If you install one of your connection wires flexible then it will be but in the bracket and the circuit is closed and the eyes are on.

20141124_213031.jpg
#408 4 years ago

you also cold use a micro switch

1 week later
#409 4 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If F23 is blown you will not have the bottom right flipper as that is what that fuse protects.
When you run the solenoid test report back.
viperrwk

So I decided to just clean my whole machine play field, ramps. Replaced all rubbers and lights. Came out pretty good. I ran a solenoid test and all were successful. I have played a few games and everything seems to be working great except for the right flipper bat keeps coming loose. I tighten pretty hard but still comes loose after a game or 2.

After reading some posts I may need new flipper bats due to wear on the post cause the screws not to stay secure against them. Bad design in my opinion.

So I just wanted to keep you posted. Once I am able to play more than a few games in a row I will get a better feel on how that drop target is working.

#410 4 years ago

Yall seen this yet?

#411 4 years ago

Want!

#412 4 years ago

OMG, how big is that? Imgine replacing the ropelight inside the backox with something similar.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Yall seen this yet?
» YouTube video

That would make an awesome topper!

1 month later
#414 4 years ago

My friend is dropping off his Stargate to me this weekend to shop and mod. Getting lots of great ideas from this thread. Looking forward to playing the game for a while too!

1 week later
#415 4 years ago

I made a new audio ROM tonight with the overused "SHOOT THE PYRAMID!" callout removed. I just found it a bit annoying that it yells that repeatedly, even at times when that is not necessarily the right thing to do. There are still occasional callouts like "in the pyramid, in the pyramid", "get in the pyramid", and "up the middle", so it's not like you're going to forget to shoot for the pyramid.
I played several games with the new ROM, and I do feel it is a definite improvement.
I've got one tube of 4Mbit EPROMs on hand, so if anyone wants a burned ROM just let me know and I can send you one at minimal cost.

#416 4 years ago

Got a question sg owners are most of the playfields problematic? I have a line on one that is pretty nice still has goodie bag and all the stuff stapled inside and is very clean has what seems to be the usual wear at left outlane where balls shoot back out and spot a pyramid and maybe one other place. The drops actually look good and under mylar look nice but the area by the flippers and apron are all there but have like a spider web look to them? I have seen this alot seems like its pretty firm and all there just looks odd is all this normal? Also the brass color on the ramps and wire forms is not real brassy anymore ? Whats a good price on something like this ?

1 month later
#417 4 years ago

Possibly going to look at a SG this week. What sort of things do I need to look for before extending an offer?

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Possibly going to look at a SG this week. What sort of things do I need to look for before extending an offer?

ball wear on pf at all places the ball drop on it. Check on lower half of pf for cracking in art. Check around left outlane diverter for pf wear.

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ball wear on pf at all places the ball drop on it. Check on lower half of pf for cracking in art. Check around left outlane diverter for pf wear.

Thanks. What about parts and electronics? Anything that tends to give issues regularly?

#420 4 years ago

Make sure that the glidercraft functions. Check the optos. Pass a ball through each and make sure that they register.

#421 4 years ago

The upkickers can be problematic, broken weld tabs on the ramps.

#422 4 years ago

plastic entrance/shooter ramp is sometimes broken but PBR still has them last I checked. Also often broken at top of this plastic ramp from the deadend pounding it takes on launch.

Take the glass off and walk the ball through a game to make sure all mechs work. Glider is a PITA if the siccors are busted. Liek others have said check welds on vuks popers and ramps. Check rope light in backbox also I guess.

#423 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. He's asking $2500, which seems pretty high for a SG. I was thinking more around $2000. If he's not locked in at his $2500 price, I will still go look at it. He says he has a trade offer for another game worth $2700 already lined up (which I think I would take if I were him....), but who knows.

Is SG a tough game to diagnose and fix if there are any issues present?

#424 4 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Thanks for the tips guys. He's asking $2500, which seems pretty high for a SG. I was thinking more around $2000. If he's not locked in at his $2500 price, I will still go look at it. He says he has a trade offer for another game worth $2700 already lined up (which I think I would take if I were him....), but who knows.
Is SG a tough game to diagnose and fix if there are any issues present?

Is this pincades or GAP one by chance? I think I saw both of them advertsiing in the recnet past?

SG is a rock solid game if playing and working right. Most people that have worked on Premier games will tell you they hold up forever once playing well.

$2500 is on the high side unless it is nearly perfect.
MANY/most have some pf art crackle. The paint used by GTB in this era is less than good and the norm is pf wear and some aesthtic issues. 2k is normal for fully working with normal wear.

Also, make sure it has the correct legs (taller than other games).

#425 4 years ago

No, it's neither of those games - it's a local guy I've talked with before. Almost bought a Space Station from him a few months back, but he said it was 100% working...Which it was not.

I asked him for pictures and such. I am happy to clean up a little wear here and there, but if he wants $2500, it needs to be perfect (as you said). I'm skeptical on 100% working, though.

#426 4 years ago

$2,500 needs to be completely perfect.

I don't think that it is a hard machine to diagnose at all. I have brought two of them back to life. The issues listed above are the most typical ones. There is no shortage of help here if you buy it with issues. Make sure that you pay accordingly though!

1 week later
#427 4 years ago

Hello Stargate club!

I am planning on attending Pinfest this year in Allentown PA and one of the games I have my eyes on is a Stargate. Very interested in this game because I heard it has THE deepest rule set out there. So, my question is what is a good price on the game and also, do these tables hold up? I am not very good at pinball repair so I am looking for a fun deep game with as little as problems as possible.

I hear not a lot of people like Stargate, once I play one, I will find out myself. But from the video's I've seen, these look super fun!

I also own a Goldeneye, and I think the Stargate will compliment it well.

#428 4 years ago

Join now and pay later. I'm on my second Stargate. Picked this one up with a few parts missing. Took dozens of pictuers of my first one but do to computer crash will need some pictuers to figure out what all it's missing.

#429 4 years ago

Just joined the club tonight. PF is crackling, mostly noticeable around the GI lights. Has about (2) wear spots that I will need to touch up. Cabinet has planking, should be able to touch that up with black paint. Everything else seems to be working great. I wish it was in better condition, but It will have to do until I find a really nice one. However, in about the past 2 years I have never seen one on CL in the bay area. So, I may be looking for awhile. Until then, SHOOT THE PYRAMID! lol

#430 4 years ago

Enjoy it Jean-Luc. I may miss it and need to re-Engage.

Good thing you are close!

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from micro:

Enjoy it Jean-Luc. I may miss it and need to re-Engage.
Good thing you are close!

Thanks dude, really excited to own your SG and hopefully beat all your high-scores haha

I waxed the hell out of the PF tonight, and its looking good. I found if I put blue or purple LED's towards the front "slings/lanes" it hides the crackling around the GI holes. Also put a LED strip in the outhole to light up the gate a bit. Also enjoying superbands on the flips. Cant wait to start LED'ing and finding time to touch them spots up. That's what I love about the hobby. Not always just about playing. Thanks for helping me out tonight!

#432 4 years ago

Question about Stargate for the club... Why do I activate multiball just about every minute I play? I seem to unleash EVERYTHING as I play. Am I a wizard or is something wrong. No joke, I could play blind folded and get multi-ball. I unleash the stargate probe every game and get multiball every time I play.. It's a never ending multiball for me? I love the game! but this multiball needs to stop.

#433 4 years ago

Its just a MB heavy game. The glidercraft MB is a gimme on the third ball if you didn't get it earlier. I'm sure that you can adjust these in the menu.

#434 4 years ago

SG is a multiball game. You are a wizard when you can complete all modes and score well in them. Call me in a few years when it happens. I have not done it yet.

SG is probably the 3rd or 4th deepest game ever made (behind LOTR and TSPP and WOZ) but gives the others a good run for fun and depth combined.

Keep playing and you will start to figure out the modes.

If you really want to cheat then check out the rukeset sheet written by the master of deep, keefer (it should tell you something that he even took the time to write up the ruleset).

http://pinball.org/rules/stargate.html

#435 4 years ago

Other thing to note about the MB modes is that there is no ball save so as soon as you drain the mode is over.

One of the reasons SG has such a rich ruleset is that it was in the minority of Sys3 DMDs which had one person (Tanzer) doing the design and one person (Norris) doing the rules. Given Gottlieb's short development times and the fact that they never revisited rules after a table was released, makes it that much more amazing how good SG is.

viperrwk

#436 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Now I need to find a PAPA tutorial with voice commentary. The one I found doesn't explain the game like some of the other tutorial videos.

#437 4 years ago

So, I got the machine leveled. Super bands and what feels like normal healthy flippers. However, it is still almost impossible to hit the left ramp. The only time I can get it, is when I pop the ball up the right side and as it builds up speed and I hit it perfectly. I make the left ramp.

Any advice?

#438 4 years ago

1 - If the flippers are old/have any slop in them you will have problems. Rebuilt flippers and clean cabinet switches are a must.

2 - Be sure the playfield pitch is no more than 6 degrees.

3 - If the first two are set, realize it is a hard shot.

4 - If you're still not happy with the shot difficulty you can upgrade the coil to A-29876 unit but be prepared for the possibility you might break something.

viperrwk

#439 4 years ago

Thats what I figured. Also, It is a possibility all (3) flippers are wimpy and I just don't notice. I will have to compare it to my other machines. As well do some practice shots with the glass off. Possible the culprit is me, simply not able to make the shot. I know if your shot hits the side of the ramp it will lose speed and not make it up. Really needs to be a clean shot.

On the upside, I added LED's and now I can clearly see what mode inserts are active. What a huge difference.

#440 4 years ago

I was thinking... Wonder if it will be possible to attach an LED to the glider. So when it comes out it scans the playfield. I think that would be pretty amazing, but wonder if I will have enough clearance when it retracts?

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

However, it is still almost impossible to hit the left ramp. The only time I can get it, is when I pop the ball up the right side and as it builds up speed and I hit it perfectly. I make the left ramp.
Any advice?

The left ramp shot is not a gimme. Some games, the ball goes up the ramp several times for me, while other games, I can never make it once. Usually the shot is done while the ball is in motion. It has a very small sweet spot, but when you hit it correctly, the ball easily makes it up smoothly.

Often, a failed shot can go half way up the ramp and back to the upper flipper, which can be immediately hit back on the fly, and sail quickly up and over that ramp.

I think it's a fun shot, and it makes the combo insert one of the more rewarding segments to complete.

#442 4 years ago

I was thinking... Wonder if it will be possible to attach an LED to the glider. So when it comes out it scans the playfield. I think that would be pretty amazing, but wonder if I will have enough clearance when it retracts?

Just do the pyramid.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid/page/9#post-2062926

viperrwk

#443 4 years ago

Man do I love this game. I've owned it for about a year and a half and I don't think it will ever leave my collection. I am just now getting to the point where I can usually complete all of the stargate objectives and the modes in the same game. Still have not beat the final wizard mode and I still tend to freak out and drain when sandstorm kicks in. Learning the rules is a must for high scoring. Finally cracked the 2 billion mark the other day. Milked that Horus build up and transporter 3x bonus for all they were worth!

As for the ramps, strong dialed in flippers are a must but almost as important is your timing. The ramps on this game, especially the left one, are some of the toughest I have played. With that left ramp you just have to play enough until you know where that sweet spot is. Both of them feel amazing when you can hit them.

I still say that this game, when working 100%, is by far the biggest sleeper DMD in pinball. I don't know of another game that has the depth, look and dmd animations that be be had for the price of one of these AND!! you can still get parts for it to boot.

Mine is next to a LOTR, TSPP and TAF and I honestly enjoy it just as much as those three.

Cheers!

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Just do the pyramid.

Naw, I really want the glider to cast a beam on the playfield when it pans left to right. I think that will be amazing.

#445 4 years ago

Not sure if you all are obsessed with having a key-chain for every pin. I keep my keys in the door. Since they never made a key-fob for Stargate. I think these work nice.

I picked this one, matches the backglass
ebay.com link » Stargate Sg 1 Ra Vinyl Key Chain From Applause Never Used Mint

s2.JPG
ebay.com link » Stargate Sg 1 Horace Vinyl Key Chain From Applause Never Used Mint

s3.JPG
ebay.com link » Stargate Sg 1 Anubis Vinyl Key Chain From Applause Never Used Mint

#446 4 years ago

Not sure if you all are obsessed with having a key-chain for every pin. I keep my keys in the door. Since they never made a key-fob for Stargate. I think these work nice.
I picked this one, matches the backglass

Not nearly as fancy but I just made double-sided keychains using the flyer images.

Keychains_100_9844.jpg
Keychains_100_9844b.jpg

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Not nearly as fancy but I just made double-sided keychains using the flyer images.

They look great I am glad someone else is obsessed with having theme'ed key chains for each pin.

#448 4 years ago

Is this a good place to ask the following questions about Stargate?

I thought about selling my Stargate I just got. But the decided to fix it. I just replaced the top left VUK and left sling coils and correctly attached the wires (and previously replaced Q3 and Q10 with IRL540s). I still need to work on the light rope this weekend.

The game works but...

The glider comes out in attract mode and moves back and forth. When game play starts, it goes back in, the pyramid shuts. But immediately, it comes out and stays out for the entire game.

The other issue was the drop targets are not coming back up. But I just tested the switches and it appears that one of the 3 is not registering and one of the two is not registering. So I assume replacing the switches or adjusting should fix this.

I am pleased to say that the flippers are strong and I can get up both steep ramps and obtain all shots from all three flippers.

I am glad no one took me up on the offer to buy the game while it still had some issues. I knew if I spent the time and money to fix it up, I would get to play it and realize that I would want to keep it.

Thanks
Michael

#449 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Is this a good place to ask the following questions about Stargate?
I thought about selling my Stargate I just got. But the decided to fix it. I just replaced the top left VUK and left sling coils and correctly attached the wires (and previously replaced Q3 and Q10 with IRL540s). I still need to work on the light rope this weekend.
The game works but...
The glider comes out in attract mode and moves back and forth. When game play starts, it goes back in, the pyramid shuts. But immediately, it comes out and stays out for the entire game.
The other issue was the drop targets are not coming back up. But I just tested the switches and it appears that one of the 3 is not registering and one of the two is not registering. So I assume replacing the switches or adjusting should fix this.
I am pleased to say that the flippers are strong and I can get up both steep ramps and obtain all shots from all three flippers.
I am glad no one took me up on the offer to buy the game while it still had some issues. I knew if I spent the time and money to fix it up, I would get to play it and realize that I would want to keep it.
Thanks
Michael

The glider is not supposed to come out in attract mode and AFAIK there is no setting for it to do so in attract.

You should test all the components involved in moving the glidercraft:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid/page/7#post-1733993

You can test the drops in the solenoid test. If they come back up there but not in game then the drops are likely not registering. You can test those in switch test.

viperrwk

#450 4 years ago

Viperwk:

Thank you! I adjusted the drop target switches so they register correctly.

I tested all the glider functions you mention in the post you referenced. Thanks for referencing the post since it would have taken me a long time to find it.

Switch 21 Glider Motor stop is not registering. All other switches are registering. I checked the connector. I will follow the wire path. I am not familiar with the switch matrix on a Gottlieb. I do have the manual. is there any suggestion on what to test on the boards? Or which board? I do have an extra driver board I bought from PB Resource.

Thanks
Michael

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spring, TX
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 249.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 42.00
There are 1221 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 25.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside