(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,378 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by ita47
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_120445 (resized).jpg
20240413_120413 (resized).jpg
20240413_120404 (resized).jpg
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
PXL_20240327_202526890 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240327_202541876 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240324_213917411 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181706696 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181041234 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181107406 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_120832.jpg
There are 2,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 48.
#351 9 years ago
Quoted from Skrippy:

I was actually told by Bowne Karins himself, at SPF two years ago, that putting Williams flipper bats on Stargate makes it a better game.
I didn't catch any sarcastic vibes from him, I've wondered about what the differences are, if they're any..

Today I weighed a Williams bat and Gottlieb bat. The Williams bat is about 10 grams lighter. So maybe the reaction time with the lighter Williams bat is quicker?

Maybe someone here with a physics degree can tell us why.

#352 9 years ago

Hmm.... Interesting...

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I added some GI LEDs, the inserts are next. Retro whites work great back by the pyramid mixed with some cool whites and purple up front.

I noticed you have white pop bumper caps. I think they are supposed to be blue.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There were different colors.

#355 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

There were different colors.

You mean there were even more colors than blue and white?

#356 9 years ago

Only ever saw the blue and white - no other color.

viperrwk

#357 9 years ago

When I shop my game out I think I'd like to replace my white ones with blue. Do you guys know if you can get the blue ones from Pinball Resource?

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If I had the blue I would have used blue LEDs but with the white it sure pops with the towers I put in. I like it.

2 months later
#360 9 years ago

I just picked up my Stargate last night. First pinball I have owned!

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from tnitty:

I just picked up my Stargate last night. First pinball I have owned!

Welcome! Great first choice as it's one of my favorites.

#362 9 years ago

Hi
Does anyone know where to get the canvas links that push the glider craft out?I have a broken one and cannot find one at the regular outlets.Or has anyone made their own and can advise me on how to make some?
Thanks
Scott.

#363 9 years ago

Is this the part you're referring to:

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/31171.html

Have you sent a note to Steve Young to see if he has it?

viperrwk

#364 9 years ago

I'm not in, may be one day, great machine, apparently the machine that game Keefer all his inspiration for his deep rules. My friend has redone one nicely, and I have repaired some of issues, such as the non-working glider.

I'm not a fan of most sys3's, and I HATE the flippers, but his game is a solid great. I heard you can replace the flipper mechs with b/w's, which is what we will be doing. They are all rebuilt with new parts including coils, but I find it still harder than it should be to aim at even the pyramid to start a mode. Plenty powerful, just hard to aim in comparison to DE/Sega and b/w of the time.

Does anyone know if the same person for the rules did Gladiators? This was around the same time and Glad has really unique and deep rules as well, I'm impressed with both for the time.

#365 9 years ago

On my Dad's Big Hurt and Stargate we just replaced the bats with BW bats and put rubber stopper grommets from a DE game so the flippers aren't catch all flippers anymore. Works great and they feel fine. Makes the games more challenging as you can't trap everything.

#366 9 years ago

Jon Norris is credited with Gladiators. Ray Tanzer did the playfield design for Stargate and worked with Norris on the ruleset. Norris was known to work on many of Gottlieb's rulesets and is either credited on the design or with the software developers.

The problem that Gottlieb had was that once a game was released, the designers were not allowed to go back and update the rulesets. The only changes allowed to game code was if there was a bug discovered. Between that and their short development times they were always behind B/W.

viperrwk

#367 9 years ago

Is this the part you're referring to:

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/31171.html

Have you sent a note to Steve Young to see if he has it?

viperrwk

Yes that's the one-but out of stock.
I will send an email to Steve Young thanks for the idea Viperrwk.
Cheers
Scott

#368 9 years ago

Interesting about Jon Norris:

http://www.norrispinball.com/about.html

If he was responsible for SG and Glad rules, I find it hard to understand, given how ground breaking those rulesets were back then, why he is not somewhere today.

EDIT:

Ha!:

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/norris.html

#369 9 years ago

Hi back again.
I have removed the glider craft unit.
My next problem is the rivets.Do I grind or drill them out?And what do you replace them with?I am thinking nyloc nuts and bolt but it may be too large, it has to have a small profile.
I hope the attachments have attached.
I have purchased a piece of flipper link for a replacement to make a link.
Any advise welcome.
Thanks
Scott

IMG_0219-452.JPGIMG_0219-452.JPG
IMG_0220-260.JPGIMG_0220-260.JPG

#370 9 years ago

^^^anyone help this guy? I wondered the same thing...my ship armature was messed up too...i super glued mine...50+ plays still goin.

#371 9 years ago

My friend had this issue. I called Steve Young, he hasn't had these for years, and getting those rivets apart would be next to impossible from what I recall. We had to I believe bondo the broken pieces together with some washers for support, and with making sure we didn't glue the rivets as well not allowing the thing to move right.

We had to do it twice, one of the least fun things I've worked on, but in the end, it worked, and it has held to date.

#372 9 years ago

Best game ever! Took me about 20-25 minutes. Hit a few areas of the rules that I had no idea what was going on. Triggered multiple super jackpots. Also, had to complete certain objectives before I could move on, which felt really odd. For instance, I had to complete a Hurry-Up before I could shoot the pyramid and get a new mode. If that's in the rules, that's kinda cool.

This game was a fluke though. My previous high was 1.7B. It's still rare I hit 1 billion. Pretty awesome though.
stargatehigh.jpgstargatehigh.jpg

#373 9 years ago

Nice, I only had my friend's for a week, and my high was around 1.6-1.7B I think.

#374 9 years ago

Wow, how do you guys get such high scores? I don't think I've gotten over 1B on mine.

I'm hoping it's because, like all my pins, the rear levelers are all cranked up the full 3". Very fast.

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Wow, how do you guys get such high scores? I don't think I've gotten over 1B on mine.
I'm hoping it's because, like all my pins, the rear levelers are all cranked up the full 3". Very fast.

We cranked my friend's up, but even after rebuilding all the flippers, there is a point where making the ramps and rear height tip out. I never trade the quartz and save them for the sandstorm. I also try to load up Horus before doing the mode, if you keep making the shots it seems like the clock for that hardly counts down.

The multiple wizard modes have a lot of points, and MB is worth a lot. Every time I got to the end, I was always over a billion. My buddy wasn't happy as I put up all the highs in a week.

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Get Eye of Ra lit, collect 3x playfield transporter award and start Eye of Ra within the 30 sec timer.

Enjoy the timer not counting down during the multiball and collect at least the first easy super jackpot by shooting the center targets. If you happened to raise your SJ value to at least 400M, you've just scored more than a billion with one shot...

#377 9 years ago

Hi-I decided not to drill out the rivets and try and stick the link back together and support it with a piece of flipper link araldited to the original.I am hoping this will hold up.
Have played half a dozen games and it seems to be OK.Hope this helps anybody with the same problem.Cheers Scott.

IMG_0221.JPGIMG_0221.JPG IMG_0222.JPGIMG_0222.JPG
#378 9 years ago

Well done. We do what we can in these situations.

#379 9 years ago
Quoted from marble:

Get Eye of Ra lit, collect 3x playfield transporter award and start Eye of Ra within the 30 sec timer.

Enjoy the timer not counting down during the multiball and collect at least the first easy super jackpot by shooting the center targets. If you happened to raise your SJ value to at least 400M, you've just scored more than a billion with one shot...

You make that sound simple

3 weeks later
#380 9 years ago

Just picked up one. I may need a few parts, but I know my upper left ramp has the metal side separating from the metal bottom.. I can probably get it re-welded, but does anyone have one sitting around they'd sell?

Thanks.

#381 9 years ago

So I noticed yesterday that when I shoot the pinball to start a game is sometimes get caught behind the pyramid piece (sorry don't know what it it called)under the skill shot in the sarcophagus area.
Only way to get it out is to give a machine a bump. It then makes a noise like its resting all the switches and releases the ball. This has happened about 5 times in 7 games I have played.

Has any one else experienced this?

I have attached a pic of the area I am talking about.

SG.jpgSG.jpg
#382 9 years ago

The white piece with the pyramid is a drop target. On plunge, this should be down. If the skill shot is too hard and it falls down into the hole it is supposed to roll into the playfield over this target. Once a playfield switch is hit the drop should be reset to the up position.

There are two solenoids that operate this target. Sol 19 (driver board transistor Q20) trips the target down and Sol 20 (driver board transistor Q21) resets it up. If it's not being tripped when you go to plunge, either a problem with the coil (26452) or the transistor on the driver board.

viperrwk

#383 9 years ago

viperrwk thanks so much for your response. I am new to the pinball game. What would be the best way to test? Is it a visual inspection or more in depth?

#384 9 years ago
Quoted from tnitty:

viperrwk thanks so much for your response. I am new to the pinball game. What would be the best way to test? Is it a visual inspection or more in depth?

Viperwwk, never any drama, he just goes out of his way to give straight forward help and answers to the pinball community. A genuine asset to the hobby.

#385 9 years ago
Quoted from tnitty:

Do you have the manual and have you run the diagnostics before? If the answer to the first part is no, highly recommend you get a manual from Steve Young at Pinball Resource:

http://pbresource.com/mansch.html

If you do have the manual, go to page 6 and follow the instructions to run the relay and solenoid test. During that test you should be able to test the two solenoids in question.

The thing to note about testing the solenoids on a Stargate (or any other Gottlieb System 3 game) is that the solenoids do not fully fire when running a test. It will give you an indication that all is well with the circuit, but for example if the drop target it down, it will not likely reset up during the test, though it might work vice-versa (thanks in part to gravity and the spring).

Until we know whether those solenoids are working or not, won't be able to tell you what to do next.

viperrwk

PS appreciate the kind words and thoughts everyone - thank you.

#386 9 years ago

First - viperrwk - you are my Stargate hero. As others have said thank you for all of the help you have given people in this club. We really appreciate it.

Second-
I finally got off my butt and ordered the upgraded coils for this game. Only did the bottom two flippers as I didn't know how the game play would be. Wanted to give the club my feedback.
WOW!
The right ramp shot is now easy to hit as are all other lanes. We had previously rebuilt the flippers but adding the higher strength coils has really made this game a true joy to play. All of the shots feel smooth and easily attainable.
I was a bit worried about the added strength with how close that 3 bank of drops are but they seem to be holding up well.
If you have already rebuilt your flippers and are still unhappy with their strength or I'd say look into getting the slightly stronger coils.
Cheers!

#387 9 years ago

I have the higher powered coils in mine. It makes the game play much better. My only complaint is that I get a lot of airballs with them.

#388 9 years ago

I also went to 29876 coils on my SG on the lower flippers and got A LOT of airballs when I did. That's when you are most likely to break something with a ball flying around in the air hitting something in a way it's not designed for. Shortly after I went back to the standard coils.

Personally I can make the right ramp shot all day long with the standard coils (if you also clean the points on the Q relay and install new flipper switches in the cab which is what I had not done when I first put the higher strength coils in.) IF I were to recommend a coil upgrade on the machine it would be for the upper right flipper. Given how the ball normally comes in contact with that flipper and the steepness of the left ramp (and its importance in starting a combo), that would be the one flipper I would say to upgrade.

If parts were easy to come by, it might be a different story. But if you break something on that playfield you are in all likelihood SOL.

viperrwk

#389 9 years ago

Strange as I get no airballs with my game at all even with the stronger coils. At least none that I have noticed so far. Just put them in about a week ago so I will keep my eye out.

I do need to replace my cabinet flipper switches. Gotta remember to do that so thanks for the reminder.

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Do you have the manual and have you run the diagnostics before? If the answer to the first part is no, highly recommend you get a manual from Steve Young at Pinball Resource:
http://pbresource.com/mansch.html
If you do have the manual, go to page 6 and follow the instructions to run the relay and solenoid test. During that test you should be able to test the two solenoids in question.
The thing to note about testing the solenoids on a Stargate (or any other Gottlieb System 3 game) is that the solenoids do not fully fire when running a test. It will give you an indication that all is well with the circuit, but for example if the drop target it down, it will not likely reset up during the test, though it might work vice-versa (thanks in part to gravity and the spring).
Until we know whether those solenoids are working or not, won't be able to tell you what to do next.
viperrwk
PS appreciate the kind words and thoughts everyone - thank you.

I do have the manual. I lifted up the machine yesterday to notice a fuse was blown (F23). I ordered a new fuse kit. Im just going to replace them all and test the old ones and keep the ones that test good.

After that is done I will conduct the solenoids test you mentioned. i will keep you posted on my progress.

313911-i.jpg313911-i.jpg
#391 9 years ago

If F23 is blown you will not have the bottom right flipper as that is what that fuse protects.

When you run the solenoid test report back.

viperrwk

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

Strange as I get no airballs with my game at all even with the stronger coils. At least none that I have noticed so far. Just put them in about a week ago so I will keep my eye out.
I do need to replace my cabinet flipper switches. Gotta remember to do that so thanks for the reminder.

Airballs are very commonly rectified by a small change in the flipper rubber position. Move it slightly (like 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch) either up or down. Also, if you are not using the correct GTB sized rubbers then you can get more airballs IME. Use the right flipper rubbers and then fine tune would be my advice if getting ariballs. Likely the rubber is down just a bit causing the balls to pop up, or up just a bit which cause the balls to pop down and bounce off the pf and then back up.

#393 9 years ago

Hi folks - I am real glad to find these specialized forums - I am baffled by an SG issue I hope someone here might have some insight into. I bought a SG pin a few months ago, and have a really, really strange problem. When I bought the machine, Anubis had his ears clipped off as below:

IMG_4263.JPGIMG_4263.JPG

I thought this strange and bought a replacement which I installed. And then I discovered why the ears were clipped! If you don't clip them, the ears hit the glass and the pop up won't rise up enough to allow a ball to clear under it. So I checked the mounting frame for Anubis, and it has no adjustments for height and looked like the right unit, so I was baffled. Then I got to thinking, maybe the playfield is too high? I checked the brackets under the pf and all looks right. If someone could check their machine, I measure about 2 1/4 inches from the bottom of the pf to the pivot point. Here is a picture of the rear of my pf against the back of the cabinet:
IMG_4264.JPGIMG_4264.JPG
From other photos that I have seen of this area, the pf again seems too high. Can anyone check their machine and see if you think my pf is too high? Any thoughts as to what might be going on here? I'm stumped. Thanks very much!

#394 9 years ago
Quoted from Nisan:

When I bought the machine, Anubis had his ears clipped off

Thanx for bringing this up. Mine too has his ears clipped and I assumed they simply broke. What I had also noticed is that one of the previous owners had switched the two characters, probably for that very reason. If I ever replace the figure or simply attempt to fix the one I have I will have to keep that in mind and probably switch the two around to allow for clearance.

#395 9 years ago

Anubis goes on the right pivot target. Horus goes on the left. Per the manual and the flyer:

http://www.nypinball.com/showdetailbro.php?br=876_back_org.jpg

viperrwk

#396 9 years ago

Well I joined this club about a month or so ago, just got done shopping mine out still working on the leds. Here is the topper I made and this weekend I am offering the last 5 in stock for $200.00 + free shipping conus only. If your over seas I can offer 10% off, but you need to contact me first.

You can PP me direct [email protected]

Be sure to put your address in the note section

Joe

STARGATE PICS VID 003.JPGSTARGATE PICS VID 003.JPG STARGATE PICS VID 001.JPGSTARGATE PICS VID 001.JPG STARGATE PICS VID 001-120.JPGSTARGATE PICS VID 001-120.JPG
#397 9 years ago

That topper is too freaking cool. If I owned a SG instead of my dad I would buy this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately he isn't into toppers.

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Anubis goes on the right pivot target. Horus goes on the left. Per the manual and the flyer:
http://www.nypinball.com/showdetailbro.php?br=876_back_org.jpg
viperrwk

You know, in all my looking at pictures of the playfield I never noticed that! Thanks! That will cure the problem. Interesting that other folks seem to have this problem as well. Wonder how they got swapped?

Thanks again.

#399 9 years ago
Quoted from Nisan:

Wonder how they got swapped?

Op had to replace a Horus and only had an Anubis? (Somehow seems there's a joke in there somewhere...)

viperrwk

1 week later
#400 9 years ago

Hallo from Germany,
i made some mods and LED Updates to my Stargate.
Greetings
Sly

20141123_161428.jpg20141123_161428.jpg 20141123_161341.jpg20141123_161341.jpg 20141123_161324.jpg20141123_161324.jpg 20141123_161254.jpg20141123_161254.jpg 20141123_161236.jpg20141123_161236.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 2,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.