(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,694 posts
  • 240 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by EvilRob
  • Topic is favorited by 114 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8BBF79B9-B93A-4BB4-ADBE-4E21B60668C8 (resized).jpeg
8C3358E9-6527-4CA3-BBD7-0199E8EB7CA9 (resized).png
20200217_144030 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220218_031745526.MP (resized).jpg
5DEC2F1A-F3F0-45E6-9C8D-4409163A6CD9 (resized).jpeg
40FC3037-ED6A-4D50-8FAB-1A1D4BE44152 (resized).jpeg
58DD51CD-26A7-47C7-9443-AA8655B04EAB (resized).jpeg
20220226_173005 (resized).jpg
20220226_173009 (resized).jpg
20220226_172938 (resized).jpg
DE922637-C0AC-4114-BF6A-E9027D029D1B (resized).jpeg
5C998225-8EDD-4491-ADA7-33652CE02DC3 (resized).jpeg
B84359F6-279F-4EF3-98A6-8C78851C828F (resized).jpeg
Repaired Scissor Link 2 (resized).jpg
Repaired Scissor Link 3 (resized).jpg
20220106_135703 (resized).jpg

There are 1,694 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 34.
#1601 5 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Please make both. That way they will look better as a matching set. Also, I would like to say. If you can makes nice decals that size. I would also be interested. If the art work was even done differently or something else. Yes, the originals are nice too. Translight would be nice too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Im looking for a new translite.

Is anyone making these?

#1602 5 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Please make both. That way they will look better as a matching set. Also, I would like to say. If you can makes nice decals that size. I would also be interested. If the art work was even done differently or something else. Yes, the originals are nice too. Translight would be nice too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Im looking for a new translite.

Is anyone making these?

Quoted from tonyf1965:

Nice job in thinking ahead. Yes, the whole set would be great.

The whole set is available at pbresource.com except its missing the james spader ramp decal.

#1603 5 months ago

Todays repair:

My shooter rod is hitting the playfield!

This makes it hard to raise and the auto-plunger cant always hit the ball with any force.
20211223_103234 (resized).jpg

I pulled it apart and checked the length in case it was a williams rod?
Gottlieb rods are supposed to be 7 3/8", this checks out.

20211223_111805 (resized).jpg

Barrel spring too short?
System 3 barrel springs are supposed to be 7/8" long.
This looks like a 1/2" spring off of and older EM game, or its just been crushed to death or worn out!

20211223_111046 (resized).jpg

This is more like it and should work perfectly!
20211223_111059 (resized).jpg

All fixed! No more playfield scraping and the auto-plunger is super strong again!
20211223_112044 (resized).jpg

#1604 5 months ago

Last time I spoke to Steve he only had target decals. I bought those.

#1605 5 months ago

Off topic, but all this talk of decals has me wondering, do our Canadian friends really pronounce them "deccles" like they do on Letterkenny?

#1606 5 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Nice job in thinking ahead. Yes, the whole set would be great.

It doesn't happen often but occasionally I surprise myself

I have the apron decals scanned as well. If anyone wants them pm me with your email address.

Decal scan 3 (resized).jpg
Decal scans 2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1607 4 months ago

I started an interest thread about making new left ramps:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-new-ramps

Chime i if you want one or 2.

Kerry says he will make them if I can get 40 or more sold.

I hoping to make this happen!

#1608 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I started an interest thread about making new left ramps:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-new-ramps
Chime i if you want one or 2.
Kerry says he will make them if I can get 40 or more sold.
I hoping to make this happen!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-new-ramps#post-6687465

7 people intersted!

33 to go!

This is going to be epic!

#1609 4 months ago

Hi Everyone!

We just picked up a nice Stargate last week. Everything is working nice except the glider. After testing it seems like a burnt out forward motion motor. The Glider moves back and forth just fine. There is also is a broken short fiber link. It looks like I can get a new motor assembly and short link from Steve at PBR.

My question; Is there anyone here that has replaced one short top link on the Glider Scissors assembly? I looks like the links are held in place with steel or aluminum rivets. I have no problem with removing them but I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to replace the rivet that I cut off.

Any other tips on repairing this part is welcomed from anyone. Thanks in advance.

268816541_5513887828628199_5695508474443736719_n (resized).jpg269162444_249047080692450_7292520168122625760_n (resized).jpg269826297_1247923072356640_1687996858302922485_n (resized).jpg

#1610 4 months ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Hi Everyone!
We just picked up a nice Stargate last week. Everything is working nice except the glider. After testing it seems like a burnt out forward motion motor. The Glider moves back and forth just fine. There is also is a broken short fiber link. It looks like I can get a new motor assembly and short link from Steve at PBR.
My question; Is there anyone here that has replaced one short top link on the Glider Scissors assembly? I looks like the links are held in place with steel or aluminum rivets. I have no problem with removing them but I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to replace the rivet that I cut off.
Any other tips on repairing this part is welcomed from anyone. Thanks in advance.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pinballresource.com has all the parts to repair that.

Its mostly just bolt up.

How is your left ramp? Most are broken, Im trying to get some made.

#1611 4 months ago

Its mostly just bolt up.

Concerning the ramps, these are the original ramps that came off of my Stargate while doing my playfield swap...I was fortunate enough to locate a Sample populated Stargate playfield...the ramps on the sample were unfinished but certainly seemed to be a heavier gauge steel...something you may consider if you go into production. As you can see, my original ones had already been repaired once...in this case the fault was on the tabs from the side plates that fold under and are spot-welded to the bottom plate forming the ramp. I would assume this is the problem for most left ramps...perhaps you could reinforce that area on your new ramps...additional tabs maybe. I ended up using the sample ramps on my Stargate...they just seemed stronger.

20220105_090903 (002) (resized).jpg20220105_090923 (002) (resized).jpg

#1612 4 months ago

I would like ramp decals?
My ramps are good.

#1613 4 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I would like ramp decals?
My ramps are good.

The Pinball Resource is your best bet for those...http://www.pbresource.com/pfplayfSS.htm#Stargate

#1614 4 months ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Concerning the ramps, these are the original ramps that came off of my Stargate while doing my playfield swap...I was fortunate enough to locate a Sample populated Stargate playfield...the ramps on the sample were unfinished but certainly seemed to be a heavier gauge steel...something you may consider if you go into production. As you can see, my original ones had already been repaired once...in this case the fault was on the tabs from the side plates that fold under and are spot-welded to the bottom plate forming the ramp. I would assume this is the problem for most left ramps...perhaps you could reinforce that area on your new ramps...additional tabs maybe. I ended up using the sample ramps on my Stargate...they just seemed stronger.
[quoted image][quoted image]

If I can get enough ramps sold, Kerry Stair at https://mantispinball.com/ has agreed to make them.

His replacement scoops, carriers and assorted pinball parts are always heavier and higher quality than factory.

He re-designs them to last, and solves the engineering mistakes from the prior assembles.

I have 9 sets sold and would need at least 25 sets to make it worth his while.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-new-ramps#post-6692028

#1615 4 months ago

If anyone has a pair of broken or old Ramps that can be used as templates, please PM me.

They will be cut apart and used for making new ramps.

In exchange you will get a set of new ones for free!

Otherwise I will just donate mine or send them as measuring samples for production.

2 sets of ramps is ideal to make exact replacements, I only have 1 set for now.

#1616 4 months ago

If anyone has a pair of broken or old Ramps that can be used as templates, please PM me.
They will be cut apart and used for making new ramps.
In exchange you will get a set of new ones for free!
Otherwise I will just donate mine or send them as measuring samples for production.
2 sets of ramps is ideal to make exact replacements, I only have 1 set for now.

If you can use the ones pictured, I can send you those.

#1617 4 months ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

If you can use the ones pictured, I can send you those.

That would be awesome!

Ill PM you the details.

#1618 4 months ago

That would be awesome!
Ill PM you the details.

If you end up needing another set, let me know. My stargate is in a million pieces right now and the ramps are just on the shelf

#1619 4 months ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

If you end up needing another set, let me know. My stargate is in a million pieces right now and the ramps are just on the shelf

Thanks!

Ill let you know if I need them.

What we really need is to get the word out so I can get more sets ordered.

400 pinsiders claim to have this game in their collection and 3600 were made,

Im optimistic that there will be a demand as soon as the new playfields are released, or sooner.

#1620 4 months ago

I just finished a rubber change and moderate cleaning and waxing.

WOW, this is a great game!

Pinballgoddess loves it!

The hardest part is sourcing all the parts needed for my resto, but piece by piece they are coming in.

#1621 4 months ago

Does anyone plan to make a replacement translite for this game?

My mirror is ok, and Steve has the rear styrene sunburst panel.

I just replaced the burned out rope light with a PBR one, its really nice!

#1622 4 months ago

Its mostly just bolt up.

Thanks. I have a order in with both PBR and Marco. I'll have all the parts I need to fix this. However I don't see how the connector pin will "just bolt up". Unless I am missing something here that pin looks like a rivet. Are you saying they should unscrew? I'll give it a try. thanks.

My ramps are in prefect shape thank goodness. I really don't need a new one. Thanks for doing this for the guys that need it though. This is the second Stargate I've owned and the first had a broken ramp. Lucky Steve at PBR had a new ramp at that time (15 years ago. lol).

#1623 4 months ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Thanks. I have a order in with both PBR and Marco. I'll have all the parts I need to fix this. However I don't see how the connector pin will "just bolt up". Unless I am missing something here that pin looks like a rivet. Are you saying they should unscrew? I'll give it a try. thanks.
My ramps are in prefect shape thank goodness. I really don't need a new one. Thanks for doing this for the guys that need it though. This is the second Stargate I've owned and the first had a broken ramp. Lucky Steve at PBR had a new ramp at that time (15 years ago. lol).

I havent taken it apart yet, but it must come apart for maintenance.

Those scissor links dont last forever.

Steve sells the links and wear items, I dont see a big rivet on the list or the complete assembly.

#1624 4 months ago

Does this help at all?

20220106_135703 (resized).jpg
#1625 4 months ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

It does look like its riveted together as an assembly:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31120

Now its time to get creative...

It looks like there's enough clearance to grind off the rivet and replace with a bolt, nut and bushing for future repairs..

Bolt heads and nuts are easy enough the thin down for clearance

There might be a treaded shoulder pin that would work.

1 week later
#1626 4 months ago

Im still gauging interest in new ramps on my new ramps thread.

Chime in over there please!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-new-ramps#post-6716409

#1627 4 months ago

Does anyone make and sell a light mod for the translite/backbox of Stargate? Thanks!

#1628 4 months ago

Yes, listed here on pinside. Pinball (shops) or something like that on the market page. Type in stargate. I just checked. He only has purple/white in stock. I have one and it is awesome. Comes with a control board to randomly change LEDs light pattern.

#1629 4 months ago

If you are referring to the LED ring mod from Cobra Amusements, he's not making them anymore. I contacted him about a month ago about getting one.

#1630 4 months ago

Hopefully (pickup pending) joining the club tomorrow! Anything I should know about before digging in? Any updated ROMs available? Any issues particular to this game I should look for before handing over the cash?

#1631 4 months ago

Add me to the list of owners with broken glider scissor links. Pictures of my repair below. I epoxied a washer across the break using JB Weld plastic bonder. I notched both broken sides of the link so the washer fit flush with the link. I drilled out the washer so the white plastic shoulder washer would fit during reassembly. I also notched the outside rim of the washer so the epoxy would have more to hold on to. I epoxied the washer to one side and let it set and then epoxied the two sides together. Seems to be holding.

Repaired Scissor Link 2 (resized).jpgRepaired Scissor Link 3 (resized).jpg
#1632 3 months ago

Does anybody have a .pdf of the manual? I know there is one floating around out there but have been unable to track it down.

Thanks!

#1633 3 months ago

Hi all. I need a little help. The game is malfunctioning and it seems pretty clear its the switch matrix/lamp matrix. Lamps all seem to be operating fine. In the switch test, when the tournament switch is turned on (strobe 0, return 5), all the switches connected to return 5 also trigger. When the tournament switch is turned off, the switches of return 5 don't improperly trigger. Would this potentially be a bad diode issue? (Diode #7 associated with the tournament switch if I'm reading the schematic correctly?). If so, would this diode be on the under-playfield board of diodes along the right side about 3/4'ths the way back?

Thanks.

#1634 3 months ago

My game keeps making the shooting sound over and over. Any ideas? Switch matrix wasn't any help.

#1635 3 months ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

My game keeps making the shooting sound over and over. Any ideas? Switch matrix wasn't any help.

Sounds like a stuck or broken switch.

Test them all on the switch edge test, check for loose broken wires that might be shorting.

#1636 3 months ago

I thought so too, but nothing was registering in either switch test. I was hoping someone would know which switch makes that sound so I could at least narrow it down.

#1637 3 months ago
Quoted from Pacer:

The game is malfunctioning and it seems pretty clear its the switch matrix/lamp matrix. Lamps all seem to be operating fine. In the switch test, when the tournament switch is turned on (strobe 0, return 5), all the switches connected to return 5 also trigger. When the tournament switch is turned off, the switches of return 5 don't improperly trigger.

Ok, more info. It seems that triggering any switch in strobe 0, also triggers every other switch that shares the return with the intentionally triggered switch. Research indicates that this means that strobe 0 is shorted. However, the lamps are operating appropriately. If strobe 0 was shorted, I'd expect it to also monkey with the lamps.

If I remove the strobe connector (A3J3) and both the lamp return (A3J4) and the switch return (A1J5) from the board, and jumper appropriate pins on the board to trigger switches on strobe 0, the issue persists. Thus, I'm interpreting this to mean that the issue is on the board.

Furthermore, if I run the game with the lamp returns disconnected from the board (A3J4), the issue persists.

The issue doesn't seem to be present immediately upon startup, but then shows up pretty quickly in a first game.

With the board removed, Q33, the MosFET for Strobe 0, tests just like every other of the transistors Q33-44. Seems fine.

Now, as I stated, the issue isn't initially present on startup. Accordingly, it seems that my testing of the board may be simulating the startup when the issue isn't present. I'm not sure if the transistors are prone to failing under stress and having the failure go away when not in use. I've don't recall hearing of such a thing.

I'm not sure what to look at next. Clay's guides don't really go any further into potential board level issues. I'm not sure how to test chip U8, which drives Q33.

1 week later
#1639 3 months ago

This may be a crazy question, but can anyone tell me if the head can be removed easily? I don’t have any qottliebs of this era currently to check. Here is why I’m asking. My 4Runner has third row seating, which doesn’t allow for the clearance for the machine to fit in the back with the head folded on top of the cabinet. It would be helpful even if there was enough play in the wires to where I could put the head in ahead of the cabinet.
Thanks in advance.

#1640 3 months ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

This may be a crazy question, but can anyone tell me if the head can be removed easily? I don’t have any qottliebs of this era currently to check. Here is why I’m asking. My 4Runner has third row seating, which doesn’t allow for the clearance for the machine to fit in the back with the head folded on top of the cabinet. It would be helpful even if there was enough play in the wires to where I could put the head in ahead of the cabinet.
Thanks in advance.

Yes, to fit the Stargate in my Commander I had to remove the bolts from the back box hinge brackets and slide the box down the body as much as the cabling would allow to clear the opening. Once it was in there is plenty of height.

The ground cable had to be removed and I wish I had disconnected some of the lower cabling before folding it up but it worked out fine.

Congrats on the new game pickup!

#1641 3 months ago

I had to lay a gottlieb on its side to fit in a Jeep Grand Cherokee....

#1642 3 months ago

Odd reset issue;
Playing my machine last month... Machine was set to free play and has new nvram installed (no batteries) ... Got wizard mode (don't believe this is relevant to the issue but might be?), finished the game, powered the machine off then unplugged it for a couple weeks. Plugged it back in, powered it on, now it's in coin mode, free play is off. High scores are retained as are other settings. Seems like it took itself out of free play... I'm stumped

#1643 3 months ago
Quoted from slamswitch:

Odd reset issue;
Playing my machine last month... Machine was set to free play and has new nvram installed (no batteries) ... Got wizard mode (don't believe this is relevant to the issue but might be?), finished the game, powered the machine off then unplugged it for a couple weeks. Plugged it back in, powered it on, now it's in coin mode, free play is off. High scores are retained as are other settings. Seems like it took itself out of free play... I'm stumped

Can you snap a picture of the NVRAM installed and the area around the old battery?

#1644 3 months ago
Quoted from slamswitch:

Odd reset issue;

Free play is only available in tournament mode iirc. Possible your tournament switch is flaky or got moved?

#1645 3 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Free play is only available in tournament mode iirc. Possible your tournament switch is flaky or got moved?

Or possibly the good old broken wire on the lower kicker target?

#1646 3 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-enter-tournament-mode-on-stargate-gottlieb-system-3

#1647 3 months ago

Yes, that thread documents several broken kicker wires over the years... and some other possibilities as well. Good one to bookmark.

#1648 3 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yes, that thread documents several broken kicker wires over the years... and some other possibilities as well. Good one to bookmark.

Seems to mostly be the center kicker wire.

My game was no different lol.

On my game they drilled a hole into the cab door for a credit switch, other than soldering the wire back on.

It was a 5 min fix, but now I have to deal with the hole in the door, oh well...

#1649 3 months ago

Finally gave found my machine

B84359F6-279F-4EF3-98A6-8C78851C828F (resized).jpeg5C998225-8EDD-4491-ADA7-33652CE02DC3 (resized).jpegDE922637-C0AC-4114-BF6A-E9027D029D1B (resized).jpeg
#1650 3 months ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Finally gave found my machine
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great looking game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Marion, IA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,694 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!