(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240327_202526890 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240327_202541876 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240324_213917411 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181706696 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181041234 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181107406 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_120832.jpg
20240306_183518 (resized).jpg
2024-01-04 18.36.14 (resized).jpg
20231206_172809 (resized).jpg
20231208_085055 (resized).jpg
20231208_085047 (resized).jpg

There are 2,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 48.
#101 10 years ago

Welcome aboard, blondetall !
Good choice. SG is a cool game, hope you will enjoy it.

Deep may have different meanings.
You won't embark in a mystical journey as in LOTR.
You won't realize you'll never get to final wizard mode without cheating as in WPT.

But you will get a decent variety of multi balls, and two decent mini wizard modes - one being easier to reach than the other. In parallel, the quartz trade dilemma will make you think twice.

My favorite sequence is Battle - so much tension during a tournament !

#102 10 years ago

Congrats blondetall!

ALSO. I feel it's it's important, since no one has brought it up.

If you ever tire of hearing the callouts, hold both flippers and the beginning of your game for 3 seconds and it will cut the callout volume by half!

Happy Cheveron Locking!

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

My favorite sequence is Battle - so much tension during a tournament !

I love Battle also, but it is kind of unbalanced with the rest of the game. If you can good good at those two shots, it's insane how much you can score during that mode.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I am headed home with my new baby Stargate now! Woo hoo! I need a membership card now.
Thanks again pinballwiz!

Hope you enjoy it!!! Great meeting you and your parents!

#105 10 years ago

Watching the movie now on Netflix. I sent my blu-ray DVD home with my parents so they can watch and know what is going on. Mom's already ready to get her name on the leaderboard, and has big plans for it in our next home pre-Thanksgiving tournament.

So far it is really fun on the few games I've put on it. I've got to somehow fix the Sarcophagus / ball save rollover switch, because it doesn't register and award points. The kickback works once the ball search comes on, so I think it's just a switch. I want to play it a bit more before we start tearing it down for a good cleaning and to put the rubbers/lights in so I'll just play it as-is for now, but if anyone has any suggestions or help on that it would be appreciated.

I'm sure people probably already know this, but I found it interesting that if you hold the right flipper down in attract mode, then use the left flipper to scroll through, it tells you an overview of how to play the game.

#106 10 years ago

I believe most System 3s do the overview on how to play the game. Waterworld does it as well.

#107 10 years ago

My only problem with Stargate is that there is absolutely zero excitement for starting multi-ball, haha. I was always used to having to work for it before getting SG, and when I got multiball going, it was always exciting. The first time I hit the skill shot, I had a WTF moment. Haha.

Great game though. Really do enjoy playing it.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Watching the movie now on Netflix. I sent my blu-ray DVD home with my parents so they can watch and know what is going on.

Congrats, blondetall! You beat me to it, as I was just about to suggest watching the movie. Some of the tie-ins make a lot of sense (like entering the sarcophagus to save Sari, mining for quartz, etc.) only after watching the movie. It is definitely a good sci-fi lovers' pin. I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of the club here!

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

My only problem with Stargate is that there is absolutely zero excitement for starting multi-ball, haha. I was always used to having to work for it before getting SG, and when I got multiball going, it was always exciting. The first time I hit the skill shot, I had a WTF moment. Haha.

Yes, I do agree multiball is easy to start. However, I do feel that Stargate took a different approach to multiball. It's easy to start it, but they'll only give you 2 balls and you have to earn the other two. Additionally, no ball save on multiball makes it a little harder to get to super jackpot. All in all, it works great for noobs and people that love the frantic nature of multiball, while keeping it somewhat challenging for pros. That is ultimately what makes it appealing for beginners, as other pins make it so hard to get multiball that some players never get to see it unless they play a ton of games.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

What is real challenging is NOT to have multiball! So there. Hey the Sox won the Series now go to the Mexico Chicken Coop to Party Rumford style!

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What is real challenging is NOT to have multiball!

Funniest post I've read today! Might as well let you plunge a couple of balls at the start, just so you have multiball from the beginning!

#112 10 years ago

I mean, if you change it to the hardest difficulty you'll only get two ball, instead of add-a-ball on shots. With the exception of Ra's Bracelet.

Which makes it a hell of a lot more manageable and plausible to make progress in the mode you're playing.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Funniest post I've read today! Might as well let you plunge a couple of balls at the start, just so you have multiball from the beginning!

Ha! I played a game last night for 10 minutes and never got multiball. It was one of my best games ever!

It is good you waxed your playfield. I delayed for a little when I got my first pin, but after I waxed it and cleaned
Stargate it felt like a brand new game! I always tell first time pin owners to wax and clean there pin. Enjoy!

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Skrippy:

I mean, if you change it to the hardest difficulty you'll only get two ball, instead of add-a-ball on shots. With the exception of Ra's Bracelet.
Which makes it a hell of a lot more manageable and plausible to make progress in the mode you're playing.

Never thought of that.

#115 10 years ago

Never thought of that.

It also makes your Jackpots worth a smaller amount, I haven't had a game over a billion in a long time. It's the game got significantly harder hahah

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Skrippy:

It also makes your Jackpots worth a smaller amount, I haven't had a game over a billion in a long time. It's the game got significantly harder hahah

Smaller jackpots? But I like how the score uses all the DMD dots to make those ridiculous numbers.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Smaller jackpots? But I like how the score uses all the DMD dots to make those ridiculous numbers.

On rebellion, cause I had the time to look at the DMD during that mode.

My jackpot went from like 20 or 10, I don't recall, to 5 Million.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Congrats, blondetall! You beat me to it, as I was just about to suggest watching the movie. Some of the tie-ins make a lot of sense (like entering the sarcophagus to save Sari, mining for quartz, etc.) only after watching the movie. It is definitely a good sci-fi lovers' pin. I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of the club here!

I think this is my 3rd time watching the movie, but it has been awhile and needed a refresher. And husband is still re-watching the series daily. I think he is on season 5 now, so halfway there. He has seen them all but has chronic migaines these days, so it makes for good background noise when his is incapacitated.

They misspelled Sari on the pin, as per the movie subtitles it is Sha'uri. And I always forget that Ra was the chick/dude from Crying Game until I rewatch. Oh, husband fixed the kickback last night so we're back to it playing 100%. More playing is on schedule today then I may start light cleaning and bulb counting so I can get a pinball part order ready. It doesnt look like there is much room to change the light colors except GI, so this should be an easy conversion.

Question: to change the lights, do you remove the pins on the boards holding the lights and take the board off? Again, this is my first Gottlieb and I am not sure, but it seems otherwise it is going to be a major pain to reach those bulbs.

#119 10 years ago

Does everyone else find that the pf is a complete beeotch to slide back after having it lifted up and slid forward to work on the underside?

#120 10 years ago

I don't particularly recall the playfield being a bitch to slide back. It's been about a year and a half since I've been under there. The damn thing is bulletproof. All know is I've had the playfield fall into the cabinet of the rails working on the lower part of the playfield. Trying to put that table back on the rails, sucker is heavy.

Just beware, some of the GI is a pain in the ass to get too, Blondetall!

#121 10 years ago

Question- How do I stop, fix, protect this flaking of the playfield of my Stargate?
I am putting in a new plastic ramp (the big one) that is to the right of the playfield in front of the plunger. When I took the ramp off I noticed some flaking on the playfield under the ramp on the Sarcophagus shot. The flaking is a grey color and about 1" by 1/4 inch on the Sarcophagus tucked under the ramp. There is no mylar in that area. Flaking is not visable during your normal gameplay view. I never noticed this because it is out of view and did not notice it during my light cleaning of the game.
I do not know how to touch up properly, so do I try to touch up spot, mylar it? Keep in mind it is out of view. Any ideas would be appreciated. Happy playing!

#122 10 years ago

You gotta picture, there? My brain may not be firing completely here.

#123 10 years ago

Question- How do I stop, fix, protect this flaking of the playfield of my Stargate?
I am putting in a new plastic ramp (the big one) that is to the right of the playfield in front of the plunger. When I took the ramp off I noticed some flaking on the playfield under the ramp on the Sarcophagus shot. The flaking is a grey color and about 1" by 1/4 inch on the Sarcophagus tucked under the ramp. There is no mylar in that area. Flaking is not visable during your normal gameplay view. I never noticed this because it is out of view and did not notice it during my light cleaning of the game.
I do not know how to touch up properly, so do I try to touch up spot, mylar it? Keep in mind it is out of view. Any ideas would be appreciated. Happy playing!

That's just gottlieb games. They all have crap paint that was used on the playfield. I sent mine off to neo and had him repaint and clearcoat the playfield. It looks great and plays super fast now.

#124 10 years ago

Mine too have some wear at that place , ill just mylar it and it will be protected.

#125 10 years ago

I think mylar will completely destroy the playfield if i's already flaking and you ever have to remove the mylar. I clearcoated mine (well, had it done). The game is surely worth it... I regret not having it 'restored' perfectly before the clearcoat (it was promised to be improved a lot, but not made perfect', but I had another interpretation of that sentence than the person who did the job ).

#126 10 years ago

Spent all day cleaning, putting on new rubbers, replacing decals, and figuring out lights. I appreciate that the bulbs screw off from under the playfield like Williams do, especially after dealing with my Sega and DE that do not. My current problem is that my LEDs wont fit in the GI/playfield spots because they are just barely too wide. I did manage to get them to fit under the playfield so I did LEDs there and got all the incandescent bulbs in the GI working properly. The kickback is fixed and it is playing 100%. Tomorrow we get sliders for it and start rearranging the other pins so we can get it in the gameroom.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#127 10 years ago

Wow, that looks really good. That mylar looks good too. So many of them are cloudy and look bad. I like the blue rings on the pops better than the white that are on my dad's machine. I wonder if pbresource has those.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I like the blue rings on the pops better than the white that are on my dad's machine.

That's actually the bumper body. Steve sells it in five different colors P/N 26860 - http://pbresource.com/pfbumpb.htm#body

The interesting thing about the pops is that most that I've seen have blue bodies, including mine. Check the IPDB listing as well - that one is blue also. The parts manual for SG on page 67 says the body and socket are MA-1467 which is white. On his parts page, Steve also lists it as being white - http://pbresource.com/Stargate.html#pp

The parts page in the manual also says "see exploded view illustration" which is on page 70. On that page for the body it says "specify color."

If you're looking at the flyer for a clue it won't help. The game depicted appears to be an early prototype which has yellow drops and yellow pop bumper bodies. The drop decals are different from production and the artwork on the clear plastic shields is blue instead of grey. The toys have different paint jobs as well.

If you ask me what should be there I'd tell you blue, but it would be fun to put yellow drops and pops in there to match the flyer.

viperrwk

#129 10 years ago

I have the same issue. Not so much flaking, as just cracking? I also thought of either mylar or clearcoating. Not sure which way to go there...

#130 10 years ago

I'll have to check my pop bumpers when I get home. I think mine are blue also (or at least I remember a blue light there?). I'm curious to check, as I never paid too much attention.

#131 10 years ago

Machine looks great, Blondetall! I think the only thing I noticed missing was the James Spader/Kurt Russell decals from the ramps (although some people might argue that is an improvement not to have those). Mine are somewhat worn, so I've thought about removing them. What LED's did you use? The lighting looks stunning! I still have not LED'd my machine and definitely need to.

Actually, open question to club members: what LED combination do you recommend for Stargate?

#132 10 years ago

I've got the ramp decals, but I'm still trying to get the sticky off from the previous ones, and honestly might leave them off for now. The GI is still incandescent for now, since I couldn't get the LEDs I have to fit, except for one frosted cool LED behind the Horus guard and 4 frosted cool under the pyramid. (I plan on using warm white but didn't have any warm of the smaller size on hand to do so.)

The pup bumpers are 2 LED cool white faceted since it is mostly blue in that area and they are so covered up that I wanted them to be as bright as possible with what I had. Underneath I've got warm white frosted LEDs in the modes inside the large Stargate, and will put those also in the smaller Ra circle modes once I get enough to pull that board out and do them all. I used warm white 2 LED faceted bulbs under the pyramid indicators and the green mode indicators, which really made them pop. The Quartz Trade has a 3 diode red LED under it, so that it stands out when lit. There are cool white 2 LED faceted under the Extra Ball and Shoot Again which really lights up the purple.

I'm used to inserts being set directly into the wood, whereas Stargate seems to have the inserts underneath a layer of playfield art. I usually customize colors more on games, but this one doesn't have a ton of room for customization. For instance, I put different colored bulbs under the inserts on my NGG because I didn't like everything being orange and yellow, but I don't know what it would look like if I put colored bulbs under the modes in the blue Stargate area. I think it looks pretty good at this point, but I've got some more bulbs ordered to do the GI better and of course do the backbox.

Speaking of... any idea on how to replace and/or fix the rope lights? Mine works, but some bulbs are out.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

any idea on how to replace and/or fix the rope lights? Mine works, but some bulbs are out.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-rope-light#post-1206237

I will add that once some of the lights start to go it won't be long before the rest do as well. Only solution is a new rope.

http://pbresource.com/Stargate.html#cab

viperrwk

#134 10 years ago

I don't know about fixing the rope light, but know pinball resource has reproduction rope lights listed on their website:

http://www.pbresource.com/Stargate.html

Mine still works but is yellowing a little bit, so I might look to get mine replaced as well.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I don't know about fixing the rope light

You have to reuse the existing connector for the rope light. Steve doesn't sell his light with it. So you either have to remove the pins from the connector and crimp new pins on the wires of the new light and reinsert into the connector housing, or cut off the connector with some wires and splice that to the new rope light.

viperrwk

#136 10 years ago

My pop bumper bodies are white.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

You have to reuse the existing connector for the rope light. Steve doesn't sell his light with it. So you either have to remove the pins from the connector and crimp new pins on the wires of the new light and reinsert into the connector housing, or cut off the connector with some wires and splice that to the new rope light.
viperrwk

Good to know! I'll make sure to remember that when replacing mine.

#138 10 years ago

my pops are white.

#139 10 years ago

My dad ordered a rope light from pbresource.com and it looks great.

#140 10 years ago

My pops are white as well. There is blue lighting on them, which really makes them pop! (sorry, couldn't resist)

#141 10 years ago

How many of you have done LEDs in this game? I'm converting a bunch of my other games, but for all of those I have the LED OCD boards, so I don't need to worry about ghosting, strobing, etc.

What have you found here? Do you need non-ghosting bulbs? How do LEDs look for the inserts on this game?

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

How many of you have done LEDs in this game? I'm converting a bunch of my other games, but for all of those I have the LED OCD boards, so I don't need to worry about ghosting, strobing, etc.

What have you found here? Do you need non-ghosting bulbs? How do LEDs look for the inserts on this game?

LEDs look fantastic in Stargate. I don't notice any ghosting, and I have all different types of LEDs in mine. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

#143 10 years ago

I'm not a huge led fan and 'upgraded' to 44's and 47's when I received my Stargate. Brighter and better!

Stargate_LED.conversion copy.jpgStargate_LED.conversion copy.jpg Stargate_LED.conversion_2.jpgStargate_LED.conversion_2.jpg
#144 10 years ago

Stargate definitely ghosts. That is a common problem with System 3s. I definitely suggest non-ghosting leds in the inserts on Stargate.

#145 10 years ago

As was mentioned earlier, so many of the inserts have artwork over them. Did you guys try to color match the LEDs in some way as is typical on most other games, or just go with white LEDs under all inserts?

#146 10 years ago

I ALWAYS match colors with inserts ...

#147 10 years ago

Stargate question for you (us) owners. Sometimes I have a problem with the Hurry Up right side under ramp. 50 or more percent of the time the ball will solidly go up there only to come back down. Anyone experience this. Obviously the ball is doing something funny up there and not falling into the hole.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Stargate question for you (us) owners. Sometimes I have a problem with the Hurry Up right side under ramp. 50 or more percent of the time the ball will solidly go up there only to come back down. Anyone experience this. Obviously the ball is doing something funny up there and not falling into the hole.

This happens occasionally on mine. A more common problem for me, however, is the ball being shot out of that VUK, bouncing off the plastic ramp, and ending up back in the shooter lane.

#149 10 years ago

it's how you have the rubber setup in the back orbit and the deflector plate.

As for the ball ending up in the shooter lane, it's because the ball bounces off the plastic and jumps the ridge. I think the only way you could stop this, is to put something at the end of the metal shoot to slow the ball down more. so it drops more straight down instead of an angle.

#150 10 years ago

I have the same problem with the Anubis VUK. Sometimes I'll shoot a straight shot in there and the ball just comes right back down and drains. It's happened just a couple of times doing quartz trade or battle. A couple of times, I just looked away or reached for a drink thinking the DMD sequence was about to come on only to be rewarded with a drain! Now I always keep my eye on it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 2,360 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.