(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,378 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by ita47
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_120445 (resized).jpg
20240413_120413 (resized).jpg
20240413_120404 (resized).jpg
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
PXL_20240327_202526890 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240327_202541876 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240324_213917411 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181706696 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181041234 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181107406 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_120832.jpg
There are 2,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 48.
#1051 5 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Anybody redone their SG with LEDs? What did you use? Looking for frosted / warm wight non-ghosting but I can't find anything slim and trim that will fit in to the System 3 skinny-style holes in the playfield.

When I did mine. I just drilled out all the GI holes with a 1/2 inch drill bit. It was a little time consuming because you have to unscrew every GI lamp socket and push it out of the way, drill and then re-screw it back. But the problem is solved for good. Never half to worry about finding the right size led again. I did all three of my Gottlieb system 3 games this way. I also added several lights here and there. I find it funny that so many people have a mental block when it comes to doing true "modifications" to there games that improve its functionality but then spend hundreds buy plastic toy "mods" that do nothing.

#1052 5 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

This was my first LED conversion so I'm no expert. I spent about 6 months reading up on posts containing "LED" in this forum and looking at Stargate U-Tube videos. I went with Comet Pinball LEDs for no particular reason. Their non-ghosting bulbs fit fine. Note that the two opmax bulbs I used required enlarging the existing holes in the playfield. I leaned heavily to not use colored bulbs - a matter of choice and great debate in the forums. Except for RAs eyes (gotta go red) and the green combo inserts. My LED list below. Mainly used various cool white and warm white with various lenses and LED counts. For the back box I attempted to copy from TNT Amusement:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=stargate+led+video+utube&view=detail&mid=9339CDDBF2FF54FE3A9E9339CDDBF2FF54FE3A9E&FORM=VIRE
I still want to add a blue LED rope light and play with replacing various red posts with clear posts with post lights - winter projects.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great job not clown puking it out!!

#1053 5 years ago

I'm looking for a NOS translite for my Stargate. Could also use both ramps and a pyramid, mine are tarnished and they won't polish up and the left ramp has a broken weld. PM if you can help me out.

#1054 5 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I'm looking for a NOS translite for my Stargate. Could also use both ramps and a pyramid, mine are tarnished and they won't polish up and the left ramp has a broken weld. PM if you can help me out.

I could not find replacement ramps. Both of mine were broken. Luckily my dad is a phenomenal welder and he was able to fix them no problem.

Maybe you could find someone to weld them. Someone tried repairing the left ramp before I bought it. They ended up burning a hole and caused some discoloration due to the thinness of the metal.

My dad's repairs did not cause any damage, so be careful with who does the repairs.

#1055 5 years ago
Quoted from campbellut:

I could not find replacement ramps. Both of mine were broken. Luckily my dad is a phenomenal welder and he was able to fix them no problem.
Maybe you could find someone to weld them. Someone tried repairing the left ramp before I bought it. They ended up burning a hole and caused some discoloration due to the thinness of the metal.
My dad's repairs did not cause any damage, so be careful with who does the repairs.

I can weld my ramp but the finish on my ramps and pyramid are not good and there is some surface rust on the ramps, and I tried polishing already. I think the original finish is a yellow zinc plating and not brass. I may have to weld my ramps and then see if I can find a local zinc plater and have them recoated. I checked with Hotrod Plating and to have the the two ramps and the pyramid brass plated was going to be around $400, which is more than I am wanting to spend. My other option is to have them powder coated.

#1056 5 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

My other option is to have them powder coated.

That would look nice. Would you powder coat the habitrails as well, just to make everything match?

My ramps could use some TLC after the botched weld atemps by whoever attempted the repairs. the discoloring is horrible, but not too noticeable from the player’s prospective. I haven’t put the stickers back on the left ramp yet in case I decide to coat them.

Please post a picture if you powder coat yours.

#1058 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You have a TIG welder?

Fixed mine with a MIG. Came out perfect. No discoloration.

#1059 5 years ago

Looking for bottom part of pyramid. Anyplace I can get one?

If not, anyone have dimensions? Maybe I could get one 3d printed.

#1060 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Fixed mine with a MIG. Came out perfect. No discoloration.

You know what your doing with that thing.

#1061 5 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

This was my first LED conversion so I'm no expert. I spent about 6 months reading up on posts containing "LED" in this forum and looking at Stargate U-Tube videos. I went with Comet Pinball LEDs for no particular reason. Their non-ghosting bulbs fit fine. Note that the two opmax bulbs I used required enlarging the existing holes in the playfield. I leaned heavily to not use colored bulbs - a matter of choice and great debate in the forums. Except for RAs eyes (gotta go red) and the green combo inserts. My LED list below. Mainly used various cool white and warm white with various lenses and LED counts. For the back box I attempted to copy from TNT Amusement:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=stargate+led+video+utube&view=detail&mid=9339CDDBF2FF54FE3A9E9339CDDBF2FF54FE3A9E&FORM=VIRE
I still want to add a blue LED rope light and play with replacing various red posts with clear posts with post lights - winter projects.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You have inspired me to go warm white in mine. Great job, man.

#1062 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You have a TIG welder?

No I don't have a tig, but I have a mig. I plan to tack it on the back side so it shouldn't be visible. I also plan to have the ramps replated or powder coated anyway so if it discolors it's no big deal.

#1063 5 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

If you find a new pyramid, I'd buy your old one. I need a bottom part.

#1064 5 years ago

I probably have a pyramid. I brought a populated playfield years ago, I will have a look and pm you.

#1065 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I probably have a pyramid. I brought a populated playfield years ago, I will have a look and pm you.

Awesome!

#1066 5 years ago

BREEAKING NEWS!!!!!
From Mirco, quoted from another thread...

"I will run plastic sets shortly. We have just cleared the licence and all stargate art pieces like playfields, plastics, back glass and cab art will be done shortly.

Regards,
Mirco"

#1067 5 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

BREEAKING NEWS!!!!!
From Mirco, quoted from another thread...
"I will run plastic sets shortly. We have just cleared the licence and all stargate art pieces like playfields, plastics, back glass and cab art will be done shortly.
Regards,
Mirco"

Just saw that. Great time to be a Stargate owner!

1 week later
#1068 5 years ago

First pinball owner and Stargate is it. While I love the game, a couple of issues just popped up. First, a wire came off of a switch that is keeping me out of tournament mode. I found it thanks to guys on this forum but I need to solder it back. Any tips for this? Should I remove the switch or solder in place?

Second, the left pivot target (Horus) just stopped working last night. No obvious loose wires. Any ideas? Not sure how to diagnose. Thanks in advance for any help!

#1069 5 years ago

Congratulations, Stargate is a fantastic game. Typically solder in place. Fix the first issue and see if it fixes your second. Where are you located as maybe someone can lend a hand.

#1070 5 years ago

About 25 miles west of Milwaukee

#1071 5 years ago

Far from me. Use a good iron, I like the flat tips opposed to cone ones. Put solder in the iron tip first to help with soldering and you can tin the wire first with some. It’s easy after you’ve done a few, practice before on some wires if you want.

#1072 5 years ago

Thank you Bobcade

#1073 5 years ago

Found my issue with the left pivot target. It was a fuse that was hard tell visibly that it was bad but found it with my ohm meter. All is working as it should except for a few lights which I will address next. Thanks for the help.

#1074 5 years ago
Quoted from Bcarr:

Found my issue with the left pivot target. It was a fuse that was hard tell visibly that it was bad but found it with my ohm meter. All is working as it should except for a few lights which I will address next. Thanks for the help.

If the fuse for the left guard blew, it might be a good idea to check the end-of-stroke to make sure it's opening when the solenoid is fully extended. If it's not, the solenoid will remain at full power and could blow a fuse if it's activated for too long and overheats.

#1075 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

When I did mine. I just drilled out all the GI holes with a 1/2 inch drill bit. It was a little time consuming because you have to unscrew every GI lamp socket and push it out of the way, drill and then re-screw it back. But the problem is solved for good. Never half to worry about finding the right size led again. I did all three of my Gottlieb system 3 games this way. I also added several lights here and there. I find it funny that so many people have a mental block when it comes to doing true "modifications" to there games that improve its functionality but then spend hundreds buy plastic toy "mods" that do nothing.

Wow! You sure went for it!

#1076 5 years ago

2 bank drop targets wont reset. Seems to be a problem common, anyone have pointers?

Never mind. All good!

1 month later
#1077 5 years ago

Welp - two bank is having issues again. Really slow to come back up after hitting them both down, after a few resets, they won't come up at all. Sometimes they will reset multiple times (ie: hit them down once, they pop up and down 3x). Seems like it's a mechanical problem? I'm thinking I'll rebuild the drop targets unless somebody has a suggestion. I've crawled through Pinside looking for any resolution, but most of the threads that mention this common issue die off with no resolution posted.

Anything I should know before I place an order?

#1078 5 years ago

Well, I have owned several Stargates, I have had to tear apart all of these banks, mine have just been filthy, after reassembly they seem to work well, must just be where they sit on the game, also on one of them, the screw holes in the wood get loose, so you need to add a toothpick and a dab of glue to the hole, to get a strong adherence to the pf again.. my 2c.

#1079 5 years ago

Thanks! I'll try a full teardown and cleaning. I'll check out the adherence to the playfield and drop a note here if I find anything noteworthy.

#1080 5 years ago

Working on the drops now and I am motivated to tackle a few other issues. Let me know if you know of any shorcuts:

Right shot (sarcophagus) sometimes just REJECTS physically before even getting up to the VUK. I am looking at the ball guide / wireform and I can't seem to figure out what is rejecting the shot before it even gets a chance to get up there. If it reached the VUK it's no problem.

Left habitrail: ball falls off in the small gap above the sling on the ramp. Common? Shouldnt happen?

Cleaning up the drop targets and reseating the connectors for the 2 bank of drops seems to have solved the issue, hooray!

#1081 5 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Working on the drops now and I am motivated to tackle a few other issues. Let me know if you know of any shorcuts:
Right shot (sarcophagus) sometimes just REJECTS physically before even getting up to the VUK. I am looking at the ball guide / wireform and I can't seem to figure out what is rejecting the shot before it even gets a chance to get up there. If it reached the VUK it's no problem.
Left habitrail: ball falls off in the small gap above the sling on the ramp. Common? Shouldnt happen?
Cleaning up the drop targets and reseating the connectors for the 2 bank of drops seems to have solved the issue, hooray!

Right sarcophagus - My problem was the gate when down was not perfectly level with the playfield so the ball would bounce slightly and hit the metal hanging down from the launch lane drop hole. Adjusting my gate up to level got mine working.

Left habitrail - Never seen this problem on mine although I've seen one other post in this forum where someone did.

#1082 5 years ago

All of my optics stopped working after replacing the left VUK. Any ideas?

1 week later
#1083 5 years ago

Would really like to help a brother out by creating a 3D printed version of the metal pyramid (the one under the plastic pyramid), but I don’t have access to a Stargate. So, I have a couple of requests. 1) is there a owner out there who is willing to work with me to take detailed measurements? 2) Is there an owner in the Fort Worth area that would allow me access to take my own measurements? 3) Is there an owner out there who would be willing to let me borrow there plastic pyramid for a couple of days so I can replicate it? FYI, I've seen another thread where someone attempts to provide measurements, but they are incorrect/incomplete as when using them the pyramid sides and front do not align and are different heights.

To start, here are the dimensions I need for the internal metal pyramid (brackets will be phase 2) - please provide exact measurements in millimeters:

B1 - the width of the front face at bottom
T1 - the width of the front face at top
H1 - the height along the front face from top to bottom

B2 - the width of the side face at bottom
T2 - the width of the side face at top
H2 - the height of the side face from top to bottom

X - the height of the edge where the front and side face meet
Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#1084 5 years ago

Thanks for helping people get there machines up and going. Just a suggestion.
I like this mod that never came to be. See pic below.

stargate mod (resized).jpgstargate mod (resized).jpg
#1085 5 years ago

Hello all, I just picked up my Stargate a couple weeks ago from a pinside member and it's in great shape. Everything works great and I already went through and vacuumed/cleaned/waxed the playfield and inside the box (minus the wax).

I went through this entire thread over the last couple of days and there's a ton of great info, but I didn't see much about how to fix the playfield wear in smaller spots. I see that the typical wear spots everyone talks about on my machine too. I have damage to the ball drop spots and it's not too bad, so I want to fix it now if possible. I have searched to no avail on how to deal with those spots. Does anyone have a thread to point me towards on how to fix ball drop spots?

I imagine I would have to use some acrylic model paint to fill the low spots, then wax and put some mylar down...? Would there be prep involved beyond cleaning? Should I sand or anything before?

Just a couple pics of my new hot rod...

IMG_6585 (resized).jpgIMG_6585 (resized).jpgIMG_6588 (resized).jpgIMG_6588 (resized).jpg
#1086 5 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Thanks for helping people get there machines up and going. Just a suggestion.
I like this mod that never came to be. See pic below.
[quoted image]

Can you give me some more details on this? Might be a mod that could be recreated and 3D printed if there is interest.

Would like to know inner & outer diameters. Also, is their a place in the pin to put a larger version somewhere, maybe even lit?

There are also designs out there for actual working stargates, but they all tend to be too large. Might be a good project for a topper, however. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=Kvjv6q3YDGc

#1087 5 years ago

I wish, I had that mod. This pic is from an old post. I want one but couldn't get one. In my opinion if someone made something like this. They could sell them. I will buy one.

#1088 5 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I wish, I had that mod. This pic is from an old post. I want one but couldn't get one. In my opinion if someone made something like this. They could sell them. I will buy one.

Okay, I found the original post. Here is what I need. Can you please give me the exact measurement in mm for these?

1) red | the centers of the two holes on the bracket that the wireframe is sitting in
2) green | the outside width of the clear plastic piece
3) blue | the outside height of the clear plastic piece
4) yellow | the diameter of the 2 lower wireframe pieces that the ring is notched out for
5) pink | the clearance from the bottom of the wireframe to the playing surface

I'm happy to do a test to see if I can 3D print a comparable Stargate. I'm a little unclear on how it mounts, but looks like it either just snaps into place or possibly glued to the metal bracket.

pic.jpgpic.jpg
#1089 5 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I'm serious about this if you are. I just need the measurements requested before I can finalize the design. Here is a mockup based upon guessing approximate size. I still have to do the chevrons, but they are so small and need to be a certain size to print that I need to have the ring sized first before I add them.

For the effort and print, I'm thinking $15 including postage once the design is final. Ring will be a silver/gray and the 9 points will be copper color (all 3D filament, not painted).

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG
#1090 5 years ago

You can put me on the 3D printed Stargate list! Go figure, I just had my glass off yesterday. I will most likely be taking it off again tomorrow, I will pull the caliper out of the drawer and get the measurements you listed, unless someone beats me to it.

#1091 5 years ago
Quoted from stewdogg:

You can put me on the 3D printed Stargate list! Go figure, I just had my glass off yesterday. I will most likely be taking it off again tomorrow, I will pull the caliper out of the drawer and get the measurements you listed, unless someone beats me to it.

Great, thanks!

#1092 5 years ago

Count me in for two..

#1093 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

1) red | the centers of the two holes on the bracket that the wireframe is sitting in
2) green | the outside width of the clear plastic piece
3) blue | the outside height of the clear plastic piece
4) yellow | the diameter of the 2 lower wireframe pieces that the ring is notched out for
5) pink | the clearance from the bottom of the wireframe to the playing surface
[quoted image]

Red = 21 mm
Green = 36.38 mm
Blue = 32.86 mm
yellow = 4.25 mm
Pink = 45.56 mm

Put me down for one also.

#1094 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Red = 21 mm
Green = 36.38 mm
Blue = 32.86 mm
yellow = 4.25 mm
Pink = 45.56 mm
Put me down for one also.

Based upon your measurements and my estimates from them, I would say that the inner diameter (the center hole) of the Stargate should be 40mm which will put the outer diameter at 56mm. Can you please confirm if these measurements seem suitable for the placement where pictured?

#1095 5 years ago

Drumroll, please . . . . . . we have a Stargate!

Before I am ready to release and sell to everyone, I need one volunteer to help me make sure sizing and fit are correct. Please PM me and the first to agree will be my volunteer. FYI, you will need to live in US, and close to Texas is a plus for fast shipping turnaround but not a requirement.

WHAT I EXPECT
- Interactive and prompt communications via PinSide PM and open forum when applicable for others to see
- Installation of piece and analysis in an expedited manner
- Quality photos of the piece installed
- Testing of the game with the piece installed (i.e. ball clears, piece stays in place, etc.)
- Constructive feedback regarding the design, placement, fit, etc. of the piece

WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- You will be the first to have the custom designed and 3D printed Stargate
- You will still need to buy the piece in advance before I send to you, but I will sell it at a discounted price (I will disclose in PM)
- Any/all changes will be sent to you to test/try at no additional cost to you
- If for whatever reason the project fails and I can't get it right, I will refund any money you have paid me and you can keep/dispose of any pieces I have sent you.

Straightforward enough? Now who wants to help me, and ultimately help the Stargate community?
Stargate.jpgStargate.jpg

#1096 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Before I am ready to release and sell to everyone, I need one volunteer to help me make sure sizing and fit are correct.

Hey everyone, I appreciate all of those who PM'd me, but I have a volunteer. My desire is to get prints in his hands this week and to get test fittings and photos ASAP. If no tweaks are required, I'll make the Stargates available ASAP, otherwise I'll expedite the tweaks and get finalized as quickly as I can. Pricing is set at $15 for the first Stargate ring and then $10 each for additional pieces on the same order.

#1097 5 years ago

Since there's some action creating mods for this game, is anyone up to creating an LED replacement for the backglass rope light? We need one that connects to the original power source. I saw someone a while back that made a ring of blue LEDs that looked really cool. All other attempts I've seen connected to the service outlet, which is not desired.

#1098 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Since there's some action creating mods for this game, is anyone up to creating an LED replacement for the backglass rope light? We need one that connects to the original power source. I saw someone a while back that made a ring of blue LEDs that looked really cool. All other attempts I've seen connected to the service outlet, which is not desired.

Well, if I actually owned the game I might undertake it because it definitely can use it. I'm sure it is a power issue but w/o researching I don't know AC - DC, voltage, amps, etc. Theoretically, don't know why you couldn't implement some sort of power converter to go from original source to 12V DC for LED circuit, but then again I don't proclaim to be an electrician.

#1099 5 years ago

I guess I didn't realize, but there could potentially be more than one spot where one of my Stargates could be installed. I know that the gentlemen helping me test fit is going to try various places and send me photos, but in the interim would someone mind posting photos here in the thread of each place where one might work? Would be interested in clearances and mounting options based upon my current design.

If there end up being two or more locations that some might wish to install, then I'll put together a discounted offering for orders of multiple Stargates.

#1100 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

IIRC somewhere on Pinside Vid made a post about how to use LEDS for the rings using the original power source. It was done by using a certain voltage led and resistors to cut the volts down. Been a while so might have that info wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
There are 2,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid/page/22?hl=bcarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.