(Topic ID: 67929)

Stargate Owners Club - Shoot the Pyramid!

By GTO

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,378 posts
  • 275 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by ita47
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_120445 (resized).jpg
20240413_120413 (resized).jpg
20240413_120404 (resized).jpg
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
----PLAYFIELDStargate075DPIPFScan for MR KRUZMAN (resized).png
PXL_20240327_202526890 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240327_202541876 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240324_213917411 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181706696 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181041234 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181107406 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181120542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240323_181130681 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_120832.jpg
There are 2,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 48.
#851 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK, I make these to order so it would take a while. Buffalo turny?

Oops guess I did not reply to this. Buffalo was a circuit event this year so lots of players were expected to be there.

#852 6 years ago

I will be a member of the club very soon, my machine is getting picked up next week and hopefully being delived the week after, im so excited it looks like such a fun game!

#853 6 years ago

Whoop Whoop!
I'm now a member of the owner's club.
I got my Stargate last Saturday.
It has/had a few quirks...but I got most fixed.
The glider was not retracting...after a lot of testing, I figured out the scissor nuts were loose. I tightened them up and it's perfect again.
The double drop targets were not resetting. Two issues...first was the plastic shield for the high power in the bottom of the cabinet was touching the mechanism. Second...I replaced the coil sleeve and all seems to work perfectly as it should. I used a slightly different Williams sleeve, but it seems to fit and work great.
Now...for my last problem...no luck so far.
I've been in touch with a local Gottlieb guru and he seems to think it may be a CPU ROM issue. The Sarcophagus at the bottom left corner won't eject the ball when it goes in. It worked fine for the first few days...but now it only comes out when the solenoids search for the ball. The switches test fine and the coil tests fine.
I have someone working on getting me a new ROM.
While I wait...has anyone experienced this before?

1 week later
#854 6 years ago

I am thinking maybe a wire has come off. In the switch test mode does the switch show its working?

#855 6 years ago

Test the switch using a ball. Your finger might activate the switch when the ball can't. In which case it just needs adjusting.

Doubt it's the ROM, the checksum would fail at powerup.

#856 6 years ago

Picked up this......looks like a topper!

20170930_200138 (resized).jpg20170930_200138 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#857 6 years ago

HI guys I need some help with the Pyramid. My Pyramid ate 3 ball and won't give them back. I think one of the plastic targets off the right side has come off and went down the opening along with the balls. What's the best way to open up the little black box that shuttles the ball over to the ejector. I'll probably need a new target too.

#858 6 years ago

I just had balls stuck in the pyramid as well. Ended up the spring on the up kicker was mangled and a little bit of the top of it jammed between the plunger and sleeve keeping the plunger stuck in the up position. I had to go under the playfield and pull the plunger back down. New spring on order. I think this explains some intermittent plunger operation I've been having as well. May not be your problem but easy check to rule this out.

#859 6 years ago

Hey Brunsie, your assessment was correct, my plunger was stuck open and the spring is toast. Had to remove the plunger and reload the balls. I think the coil is shot , when I run a ball through the pyramid nothing happens. I'll ohm out the coil and see if it's still alive then start track down other things.

#860 6 years ago

The manual on gottlieb machines has an short cut troubleshooting page.
xxx not working, says this coil, this fuse, and what transistor on the board controls it.

#861 6 years ago

Up kicker for pyramid issue???
The up kicker for my pyramid (left top kicker) has installed a "SG 23-850 dc" coil and a 2 amp fuse in #27.
in the manual it appears to use a A16570 coil and a 1 1/2 fuse. Could anyone provide some insight into the why the different coil? It appears to work fine (once I replace the fuse), I was wondering if I need to replace the coil and fuse with the one specified in the manual?

#862 6 years ago

Just my thoughts. I would follow the manual. Hard to say how many people worked on your machine before you bought it, and just used what they had. During a previous repair.

#863 6 years ago

The coil checks out and the opto seem OK, but the upper left up kicker still doesn't work . It keeps blowing the #27 fuse. I think It may be a board problem. I'm not comfortable working on board level issues, does anyone know who does this type of work? I believe it's the A3 board.

#864 6 years ago

Wish you lived close. In the manual there is a sumerized trouble shooting page. It will tell you exactly which transistor to replace for that fuse blowing. My guess is it's 5 or 6 dollars from marcos. Gotlieb machines have this helpful guide. I don't have my manual handy. Pm me if you need help, don't forget to replace those vuk solenoid springs while your at it.

1 week later
#865 6 years ago

New Stargate owner here. Just got it today! Been playing non-stop for the last 3 hours, love it so far! I have a couple questions for you veteran SG owners.

1. The game seems to be a very clean machine and everything seems to function correctly, except one thing. When I open the coin door the whole machine powers down like I turned the main power switch off. It comes back on when I pull out the lower coin door override switch. This is my first Gottlieb, is it supposed to work like this? I have 6 other machines, all Williams or Stern, and they all stay on when opened, exept the higher voltage stuff which is controlled by the override switch.

2. Is the glider target to the right of the pyramid shot supposed to kick like the one on the left? Mine dosen't.

3. It has longer legs and sits higher than my Williams and Stern games. Can I put the shorter Williams legs on it to even them all up?

Thanks!

#866 6 years ago
Quoted from gearhead:

When I open the coin door the whole machine powers down like I turned the main power switch off. It comes back on when I pull out the lower coin door override switch. This is my first Gottlieb, is it supposed to work like this?

This is how it's supposed to work. There is no way to open the door and not have the power turn off. What really sucks is that if a ball gets stuck in the middle of a game, you have to kill the power to retrieve it. It was a very strange design choice if you ask me.

Quoted from gearhead:

Is the glider target to the right of the pyramid shot supposed to kick like the one on the left? Mine dosen't.

No. The target on the right is a stationary target, as opposed to the target on the left and the target just below the upper flipper, which are kicker targets.

Quoted from gearhead:

It has longer legs and sits higher than my Williams and Stern games. Can I put the shorter Williams legs on it to even them all up?

I would think if you put on Williams legs, the game will sit a little low because of the location of the leg bolts.

#867 6 years ago

Welcome to the gang gearhead!
1. Yes, that is normal for this machine.
2. No, they kick/react differently. So yours sounds correct.
3. Your call. Don't know which legs are on mine. But I figure if you get the slope correct, the height is just personal choice.

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is how it's supposed to work. There is no way to open the door and not have the power turn off. What really sucks is that if a ball gets stuck in the middle of a game, you have to kill the power to retrieve it. It was a very strange design choice if you ask me.

Some owners move that interlock switch and just pull out the stopper on the switch to eliminate that problem.

#869 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some owners move that interlock switch

Or just leave it hanging, there are no exposed terminals. Put the screws back in the original holes for safekeeping, pull that plunger out, and forget the stupid thing ever existed until it comes time to sell.

#870 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some owners move that interlock switch and just pull out the stopper on the switch to eliminate that problem.

That's actually an excellent idea that I never even thought of. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

#871 6 years ago

I currently use Williams/Bally legs. With the castors out farther then normal, the height will line up perfectly. I have no issues.

There are actually three kicker targets (love these things) target to left of pyramid, target below upper right flipper and target that interacts with the pop bumpers is a kick target.

Make sure all your flasher bulbs work, they integrate nicely with gameplay.

and finally the interlock switch sucks especially trying to dial your game in.

#872 6 years ago

Thanks guys, all really great information!

I have 2 switches on the coin door. Upper is only spring loaded, lower is spring loaded and can be pulled out to lock on. You guys are saying to let the lower, latching one dangle in the locked position correct? So what does the upper do? Does it cut the high voltage stuff? Is it safe to put your hands in there with the lower latched? If so, how to you restore power to coils to perform a test with the door open? Sorry, just want to make sure I don't hurt myself or the machine.

Toasterdog, are you using 27" or 28.5" legs?

Thanks again guys, really helpful stuff!

#873 6 years ago

27" legs , and they will be the same height as your other game

#874 6 years ago

I just put electrical tape over the interlock switch on my Stargate, to hold it down, and haven't had any issues with it. I haven't needed to save any stuck balls in the middle of a game yet, but it's just nice to be able to open the coin door and mess with settings or the tournament switch without the machine powering off.

#875 6 years ago

Stargater's
Here's something I recently did. I got a mummy off the internet, drilled out the head and added an LED to the back of it, what do you think? wired it in to the light below Horus. I'm thinking of adding optic fiber to the eyes for a little more glow.

IMG_1491 (resized).JPGIMG_1491 (resized).JPG

IMG_1494 (resized).JPGIMG_1494 (resized).JPG

IMG_1492 (resized).JPGIMG_1492 (resized).JPG

IMG_1493 (resized).JPGIMG_1493 (resized).JPG

#876 6 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

Stargater's
Here's something I recently did. I got a mummy off the internet, drilled out the head and added an LED to the back of it, what do you think? wired it in to the light below Horus. I'm thinking of adding optic fiber to the eyes for a little more glow.

You know the sarcophagus in Stargate heals people, right? Kind of the opposite concept of a mummy. This might work better in a Monster Bash or something.

#877 6 years ago

Quick question about bat adjustment on my new SG. What angle should they be at rest? Most games the flipper face is parallel with the inlane ball guide so that the ball rolls right onto the flipper at the same angle. The flippers on my SG are currently a little lower than parallel. There aren't any holes or pins in the playfield like a Stern or Williams to help line them up, so what should be the correct adjustment angle?

#878 6 years ago

I did a little research and it seems that no one has the answer. Some line them up with the in-lanes, others with the wire guides below the flippers, which is how mine are now. I would guess that with the wire guides is how the factory did it simply because these Gottlieb flippers already are really high in the up position. Is there no one out there who knows for sure how the factory did it? There must be some documentation on this somewhere.

#879 6 years ago

Not sure if this helps but this is the only documentation I found in the manual related to flipper position. If that's how they shipped or not, I couldn't tell you.

20171104_093112 (resized).jpg20171104_093112 (resized).jpg

#880 6 years ago

Thanks for the diagram PinZig. Ultimately I guess it doesn't matter, set it up however you like I suppose. Since all my other pins are set parallel to the in-lane I think that's what I'll do. And then use a System 1 coil stop to limit how far up they go as suggested by Clay on pinball repair.

#881 6 years ago

The flipper bats on mine look just like they do in that diagram. On most games, I align them so they are parallel with the ball guides, but I find this particular game shoots a little better when they are slightly lower.

#882 6 years ago

Good to know. I'll try it both ways then decide.

#883 6 years ago

Has anybody tried these new style leg brackets in a System 3 game? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=144
The cabinet on my Stargate is split and I'm thinking about getting some of these to replace the old brackets. Just want to make sure they fit before getting them.

1 week later
#884 6 years ago

Hi all, new Stargate owner here and need some guidance on replacing the skill shot ramp. I have the ramp but am clueless on the rivets... can’t seem to locate them. Are there any alternatives to using rivets for attaching the ramp? Thanks

#886 6 years ago

Excellent, thanks ForceFlow

#887 6 years ago

I All, I've been having trouble getting into tournament mode. I open the door and turn on the machine, slide the switch and nothing happens. A few months ago it worked fine, although I started having intermittent problems and now, nothing. Anybody ever have issues with the slide switch or getting into free play mode?

#888 6 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

I All, I've been having trouble getting into tournament mode. I open the door and turn on the machine, slide the switch and nothing happens. A few months ago it worked fine, although I started having intermittent problems and now, nothing. Anybody ever have issues with the slide switch or getting into free play mode?

Check for a wire broken off on either of the two kicker targets. (As discussed earlier in this thread!)

#889 6 years ago

Dan, thanks for the tip, that was exactly the problem. re-soldered and back in business.

#890 6 years ago

Good to hear! It's a pretty common problem, those kickers vibrate something fierce when they fire. I've seen the same wire break loose more than once on the same game.

Checking the switch matrix, it must have been the top center kicker, in order to mess with the tournament switch.

#891 6 years ago

Just joined the club this weekend. How do I get rid of the hum when the game is in attract mode?

#892 6 years ago

Has anybody ever noticed that the upkicker habitrail in the back on the right hand side has 2 different designs? Some have a wire piece around the end to stop the ball and make it drop down whereas others dont. Did Gottlieb just change the design mid production i guess?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#893 6 years ago

I'm still having an issue where sometimes after exiting Eye of Ra mode, the VUKs and Sarcophagus don't eject balls. The game never cycles through to kick ball(s) out no matter how long I don't touch the flippers. Pushing the start button starts a new game and ejects all the stuck balls. New game works fine. Only seems to happen after Eye of Ra. I thought this problem had gone away with me fixing a variety of other things but evidently not. Any suggestions? Next time it happens I plan to open it up and start probing around - any ideas ahead of time would be good. Hate opening it with power on but don't know what else to do.

#894 6 years ago

How often should the right drop target for the sarcophagus shot be up? I almost never see it up.

#895 6 years ago
Quoted from IceMaster:

How often should the right drop target for the sarcophagus shot be up? I almost never see it up.

It should be up pretty much all the time. The only time it should be down is when a ball is being plunged, when a hurry up is active, when Save Sari starts, and pretty much any mode where you need to shoot the sarcophagus. During main play it should always be up unless you knock it down, which allows you to shoot that shot and enter the sarcophagus. Once the sarcophagus times out, certain shots will reset the drop and allow you to shoot the drop again.

Also, I'm pretty sure the loud hum during attract mode is perfectly normal for this game. Mine does it too.

#896 6 years ago

Thanks mystman. I’ll look into what’s going on with the drop. Maybe the coil? It’s not like it tries to come up and doesn’t. It just stays down. And I don’t think any of the coils on my game have ever been replaced.

#897 6 years ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

I'm still having an issue where sometimes after exiting Eye of Ra mode, the VUKs and Sarcophagus don't eject balls. The game never cycles through to kick ball(s) out no matter how long I don't touch the flippers. Pushing the start button starts a new game and ejects all the stuck balls. New game works fine. Only seems to happen after Eye of Ra. I thought this problem had gone away with me fixing a variety of other things but evidently not. Any suggestions? Next time it happens I plan to open it up and start probing around - any ideas ahead of time would be good. Hate opening it with power on but don't know what else to do.

I don get there too often (set on hard), but I know my game sometimes can start new modes after Eye of Ra. Not sure if I ever had the ball stuck: I think I once had a great high score, where I had to turn the game off (I can't open my game without the power shutting off: mabe I should change that). Probably the same issue you're describing? Besides a possible hardware failure, I think it's mostly a software thing?

#898 6 years ago

Just joined the club last weekend. The movie is great so the theme was right up my alley.
I probably paid too much but there is no going back now.

I removed everything on the play field for a good cleaning and rubber change, and to see what hidden treasures the previous owners left me.
Things I need to fix:

weld the left ramp
rivet on a new plate
fix the 2 brackets on ball guides just above the 3rd flipper
Rebuild the flippers
replace 2 solenoids
replace a few incorrect parts.

The plastics are in rough shape. Does anyone have good, to scale, scans? I would like to try making some replacements as there are none available.

Unless someone has a line on where to find a set.

#899 6 years ago

Plastics are a tough get for this title , repros are badly needed

#900 6 years ago
Quoted from campbellut:

Things I need to fix:
weld the left ramp

You, and every other owner of SG.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-owners-club-shoot-the-pyramid/page/18?hl=jreedie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.