Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
20220128_140707 (resized).jpg
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

YAY ! 15 interested!
This thread is on fire !!! LOL

Count me in for a set.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from locustgrovepin:

Count me in for a set.

Wow! thats 16! Thanks!

I dunno, but it may be that you might just get them while you can!

1 week later
#53 2 years ago

Update (again):

Donated ramps sent to Kerry!

Give him some time and we might see results coming up.

#54 2 years ago

Im optimistic that Pinball Resource will want some for inventory.

Crossing my fingers on this...

#55 2 years ago

I’m interested, but not committing to buying at this point. Would depend a lot on cost.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I’m interested, but not committing to buying at this point. Would depend a lot on cost.

Ill put you in for a "maybe".

In a world of zero options, price is a factor but not necessarily a deal breaker for many of us.

Let's see what Kerry finds out. He isnt a price gouger and has fair prices for excellent products.

Im excited about a possible enhancement to the left ramp to keep it from tearing off, since most are broken.

I imagine Premier would have made enhanced ramps, or provided a fix, if they were in business longer.

#58 2 years ago

Finally picked up the game last week. It's a beaut. OG ramps look good right now, but excited about having these new ones as well

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Finally picked up the game last week. It's a beaut. OG ramps look good right now, but excited about having these new ones as well

Check the left side of the left ramp, it might be welded or broken.

So many are broken its just tragic.

3 weeks later
#60 2 years ago

I just realized I have a nos set of decals for all the things, including the ramps. If anybody is interested in reproing them, I could scan them in and provide dimensions.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#61 2 years ago

I would be interested in scans. You can add something simple like a coin or something universal for scale.

Thanks

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I just realized I have a nos set of decals for all the things, including the ramps. If anybody is interested in reproing them, I could scan them in and provide dimensions.
[quoted image]

A decent sign shop will scan and copy them to new UV proof vinyl to make new stickers.

Then put the artwork on a flash drive.

They can also make translites.

If I had a set, thats what I would do.

#63 2 years ago

Can you make them less steep?! LOL I'll take a set if you can

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Can you make them less steep?! LOL I'll take a set if you can

Wow! This is wonderful!

18 sets wanted now WooHoo!

#65 2 years ago

Wow! This is wonderful!
18 sets wanted now WooHoo!

I'm sorry but I actually don't need a set I was trying to make a joke because these ramps in this game are so steep. good luck with your venture

#66 2 years ago

I got all the decals scanned tonight. I can post them, but know they’re still going to need dimensions and some clean up work.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I got all the decals scanned tonight. I can post them, but know they’re still going to need dimensions and some clean up work.

Contact ClarkKent about fixing them in photo shop

tell him the actual length and width. He can make a digital box of the correct size.

#68 2 years ago

I'll take a set!

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

I'll take a set!

Yay! that makes 18 sets wanted!

Thanks!

#70 2 years ago

Contact ClarkKent about fixing them in photo shop
tell him the actual length and width. He can make a digital box of the correct size.

Sent them a PM

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Sent them a PM

He did a great job on the Doctor Who decals.

3 weeks later
#72 2 years ago

Update:

Kerry tried his best to create a jig and get these ramps made.

He spent a LOT of time on this.

Sadly the ramps are very complicated and resist being made easily (we knew this originally). They have many compound bends and tight corners, plus they have to be an EXACT fit!

Its a wonder that Gottlieb got anyone to actually make them in the first place.

Are there any other "trustworthy" metal fabricators who would like to take on this project?

Im shopping a few companies in China but I dont have any experience with them, as to who's good or not.

Any ideas out there?

Let me know.

Im convinced that these can be re-made at an affordable price, I just need more contacts.

I imagine this is why pinball resource ran out of them.

They are tough to get made, but maybe not impossible.

3 months later
#73 1 year ago

Hit me up, I know a guy...

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from sheahan2:

Hit me up, I know a guy...

Let me know who might want to take this project on.

Im still shooping for a metal forming company.

2 months later
#75 1 year ago

I'd be in for both... if this ever comes to fruition.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from stewdogg:

I'd be in for both... if this ever comes to fruition.

Still up in the air at this point.

Its a difficult ramp to make out of steel.

Its hard to get a short run made for an affordable price.

Hopefully someone will step up to the plate!

Im almost at the point of designing one out of polycarbonate. We'll see.

#77 1 year ago

Still up in the air at this point.
Its a difficult ramp to make out of steel.
Its hard to get a short run made for an affordable price.
Hopefully someone will step up to the plate!
Im almost at the point of designing one out of polycarbonate. We'll see.

Yeah, short custom runs of anything is not cheap, I completely understand.

Too bad you couldn't make a jig on a 3d printer or some trick to churn them out faster or at all... totally talking outta my butt right now... I'll keep an eye on the thread and see what transpires.

Thanks!

1 month later
#78 1 year ago

I would be interested in purchasing these if made.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from liottalaw:

I would be interested in purchasing these if made.

Im working on it.

So far its hard to get someone to do the work.

1 month later
#80 1 year ago

If you ever get these made, I would definitely be in for a set. Good luck! I hope you are able to find a fabricator...

#81 1 year ago

I'm dead set on finding another Stargate to buy. I'd be in on a set of ramps. I know I'll eventually own this pin again.

#82 1 year ago

I have ideas on how you get the bends done and the geometry for laser cutting the blanks...but I do not have the bandwidth to take on a project like this.

Instead of a slip roll setup to do the tight inner bends, you would use a curling device. Think of a hair curler. Cut a slot in a piece of round stock of the appropriate diameter and then insert the end of the piece into it curl the metal around it.

I would use paper to wrap around the sides and trace an accurate pattern out, then use a protractor and caliper to convert this pattern into CAD to generate a DXF. I would extend the bottom plate slightly and make locking tabs you can twist to lock the two pieces together instead of just welding. This will also hold your bottom ramp geometry.

If another fabricator wants to take on the last mile of this project, I can probably supply the cut geometry for the blanks if I can borrow the originals. Quantity isnt a big factor..lots of places out there will cut the blanks for a reasonable price, be it 1 or 50 units.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I have ideas on how you get the bends done and the geometry for laser cutting the blanks...but I do not have the bandwidth to take on a project like this.
Instead of a slip roll setup to do the tight inner bends, you would use a curling device. Think of a hair curler. Cut a slot in a piece of round stock of the appropriate diameter and then insert the end of the piece into it curl the metal around it.

I think you are on the right track here.

I've done quite a bit of sheet metal design in CAD to have various parts fabricated. Once the CAD model is created, it's simple to unfold the model and create the cut pattern in software. With an accurate 3D model, it would also be a lot easier to try and find a fabricator and compare prices. Unfortunately, I don't have the bandwidth to do this at the moment either.

#84 1 year ago

JodyG, any possibility of making a repro of the plastic shooter lane ramp for Stargate?

#85 1 year ago

Stargate also needs a new playfield produced. I remember many years ago Mirco said they were going to but didn't.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I would use paper to wrap around the sides and trace an accurate pattern out, then use a protractor and caliper to convert this pattern into CAD to generate a DXF. I would extend the bottom plate slightly and make locking tabs you can twist to lock the two pieces together instead of just welding. This will also hold your bottom ramp geometry.
If another fabricator wants to take on the last mile of this project, I can probably supply the cut geometry for the blanks if I can borrow the originals. Quantity isnt a big factor..lots of places out there will cut the blanks for a reasonable price, be it 1 or 50 units.

Kerry Stair had some difficulty in making an acceptable jig to make the complex bends and spot weld the smaller pieces on. So he declined to continue on it. Its a lot of work.

There is a also fair amout of welding on these ramps and some complexity in the bending.

Its a complex piece.

The real issue is the amount of work vs the amount of money to be made.

After all is said and done, its likely a "break even" situation if less than 100 sets are produced.

Im still looking for someone to do a "passion" project for us.

It might be possible to have them made at a Chinese fab shop. Its difficult to make this happen as several trials and fittings would have to be done to get it exact. They dont have a game to test fit the ramps.

The ramps are a tight fit and have to be exact.

I can send you originals! I bought a rusty set specifically to copy from, and rip apart if necessary.

PM me your address and Ill send them along.

Kerry Stair most likely has the templates still, from the work he did a few months ago. I would ask him about them.

2 weeks later
#87 1 year ago

My left ramp is broken again. I hope this project get traction.

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from ita47:

My left ramp is broken again. I hope this project get traction.

I ran out of people interested in making a short run, here in the US.

I was sorta hoping that someone on Pinside worked with metal forming, and would help out.

We will have to see what 2023 delivers...

#89 1 year ago

I just had mine welded. Let's see how long it holds up.

It's interesting that the design has the weld tabs spaced much closer together on the right side wall of the ramp. But it's the left side wall that takes all the ball impacts. The left side should have had more tabs with closer spacing.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

I just had mine welded. Let's see how long it holds up.
It's interesting that the design has the weld tabs spaced much closer together on the right side wall of the ramp. But it's the left side wall that takes all the ball impacts. The left side should have had more tabs with closer spacing.

Im hoping to address that on new ramps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marinette, WI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.