Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
20220128_140707 (resized).jpg
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi

Im starting a general interest thread to make new left metal ramps for our beloved Stargate pinball.

Most left ramps are broken, some are welded.

A new reinforced ramp is in order.

I contacted Kerry at Mantis about making up some improved ramps.

He has agreed to make them, but would need to sell 40 or 50 to cover his costs.

These are not the easiest to make. However he has made them before and knows what is involved.

Please make it known here if you want to get one or both left and right ramps.

PBR has been out of them for years now.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

#3 2 years ago

Will they be finished or just stainless? I'd be interested in a L+R pair depending on final price.

#4 2 years ago

I'd definitely be down for both ramps! Mine are in pretty good shape overall but they do have some darkened spots around where they were repaired by a friend.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Will they be finished or just stainless? I'd be interested in a L+R pair depending on final price.

Im thinking just stainless that you can have plated if you want.

Right now Im thinking that the left ramp is the most broken.

However if the interest is there, both ramps can be made.

Personally, I would like both ramps but would be happy if I had the left one first.

So, Im in either for the left or both.

#6 2 years ago

i'd be in for both

#7 2 years ago

So, we are up to 5 sets!

35 to go!

#8 2 years ago

I'm hoping to get this pin in about a month, so if these are general upgrades, I'm in for a set

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

I'm hoping to get this pin in about a month, so if these are general upgrades, I'm in for a set

Near 100% have a broken left side to the left ramp. Its just a weak design.

It can be welded, but a better reinforced ramp would be really great if we can make it happen.

If you get the ramps and pyramid plated in brass the game really looks amazing.

My plan is to do an over the top restoration on my game when the new Mirco playfields come out.

Getting new, better, Mantis ramps would be the best.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

So, thats 6 !

34 to go!

#11 2 years ago

In, depending on cost.
I have 2 of each left and right, but of coarse they are all in some need of repair.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from mezzblue:

In, depending on cost.
I have 2 of each left and right, but of coarse they are all in some need of repair.

I imagine they wont be cheap, but competitively priced. But, the only game in town.
Im in regardless of the price. Mantis products are the definitive solutions for durable, better than factory, replacements. I believe in paying for quality.

Thats 7 !

33 to go!

#13 2 years ago

In for a left ramp

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

In for a left ramp

Yay!

thats 8 !

32 to go!

#15 2 years ago

Chime in if you want a ramp!

8 is not going to make it happen, we need 40!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Chime in if you want a ramp!
8 is not going to make it happen, we need 40!

I would like a set as well

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from BigBlockFever:

I would like a set as well

Great!

Thats 9

We need 31 more!

#19 2 years ago

Great initiative!
Have you got any idea of the costs and shipping (not precise, but 'about...' or between.. and..)?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Great initiative!
Have you got any idea of the costs and shipping (not precise, but 'about...' or between.. and..)?

I havent got to that point yet.

The interest has to be there first.

The more that can be ordered, the lower the cost to be sure.

Im hoping for 50 sets to get the cost down.

Im also certain that there are at least 500 games that need ramps as near 100% of the left ramps are broken due to the very thin tabs that were integrated into the design.

Its my feeling that the "bending or forming" of the tabs weakened the steel and has made it a weak point that basically tears off.

I believe that slightly thicker material and extended or longer tabs may solve the issue, but Im not an expert in metal forming.

The proto-type and sample games had much more robust and thicker steel for the ramps and were not color treated.

Its possible that thinner steel was used to make it much easier to form as these ramps have some extreme bends in them.

#21 2 years ago

I havent got to that point yet.
The interest has to be there first.
The more that can be ordered, the lower the cost to be sure.
Im hoping for 50 sets to get the cost down.
Im also certain that there are at least 500 games that need ramps as near 100% of the left ramps are broken due to the very thin tabs that were integrated into the design.
Its my feeling that the "bending or forming" of the tabs weakened the steel and has made it a weak point that basically tears off.
I believe that slightly thicker material and extended or longer tabs may solve the issue, but Im not an expert in metal forming.
The proto-type and sample games had much more robust and thicker steel for the ramps and were not color treated.
Its possible that thinner steel was used to make it much easier to form as these ramps have some extreme bends in them.

In either case, I imagine that they will not be inexpensive, but these days nothing is anymore.

This is a part that is necessary to reproduce to keep these games around for years to come.

People paying $500 for toys and $2000 for toppers have set the stage for higher prices.

Most high end IJ restores have $1500 worth of plating on them at least.

But I imagine the end product will be somewhat affordable, Kerry's parts are a good value and worth it.

#22 2 years ago

In either case, I imagine that they will not be inexpensive, but these days nothing is anymore.
This is a part that is necessary to reproduce to keep these games around for years to come.

People paying $500 for toys and $2000 for toppers have set the stage for higher prices.

Most high end IJ restores have $1500 worth of plating on them at least.

But I imagine the end product will be somewhat affordable, Kerry's parts are a good value and worth it.

My intent is to restore my game to near new with the upcoming playfields and plastics from Mirco.

Along with this I will re-plate all the wireforms, ramps and pyramid.

The game is undervalued at this point and one is actually "lucky" to get one as they dont come up for sale very often compared to a lot of games.

#23 2 years ago

I dont think its too much to imagine that 200 sets can be sold.

When the playfields come out there will be a resurgence of restoration on this game.

But, I have to see what the interest is to proceed.

Stargate is a unique title.

#24 2 years ago

400 pinsiders have this game!

#25 2 years ago

I would take a set

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I would take a set

Great thats 10!

Keep 'em coming!

#27 2 years ago

I am interested in a set. Plated would be ideal.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from EarlGrey:

I am interested in a set. Plated would be ideal.

Thats 11 !

Great job people!

Plating will be up to the individual. You can send in the ramps when you send in the wireforms, lots of platers these days.

Im on the fence about it to tell the truth. I just dont think that the brass plating thats available, though beautuiful, is durable enough to go the distance.

I can shine up stainless easily. Ill have to see what brass looks like after 5000 or more plays.

The proto and sample games were heavy stainless, no plating.

#29 2 years ago

I’m in for a set, and how do I get on the playfield list. Mine needs a swap

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from BlackTiePinhead:

I’m in for a set, and how do I get on the playfield list. Mine needs a swap

Wow 12 now !

Thats incredible!

Contact Mirco directly, He told me they were sitting, ready for print and clearing.
He is just waiting for the huge commercial jobs to clear up and then he will run them.

Im crossing my fingers for a Stargate restoration this year!

#31 2 years ago

Wow 12 now !
Thats incredible!
Contact Mirco directly, He told me they were sitting, ready for print and clearing.
He is just waiting for the huge commercial jobs to clear up and then he will run them.
Im crossing my fingers for a Stargate restoration this year!

Mine is in perfect mechanical condition, everything works, even my glider, but my playfield has cracking and ghosting. It’s the only pin I own that’s not mint, and I plan on making it that way. It’s also, the first pin I ever bought

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from BlackTiePinhead:

Mine is in perfect mechanical condition, everything works, even my glider, but my playfield has cracking and ghosting. It’s the only pin I own that’s not mint, and I plan on making it that way. It’s also, the first pin I ever bought

My playfield is also cracking with hairline cracks throughout.

It also has a couple chips under the wireform drops, but that was easily touched up and mylared.

So, im also waiting for a new playfield.

Getting the ramps replaced with better ones will make the game perfect.

#33 2 years ago

Still aways to go for interest or orders.

I need about 20 more sets or single ramps to get these made.

Thanks!

Tom

#34 2 years ago

Time to bump up this thread.

Chime in if you are interested in new ramps.

#35 2 years ago

Time to bump up this thread.
Chime in if you are interested in new ramps.

New ramps anyone?

#36 2 years ago

I'm sorry to not commit, but to me it makes a difference if it's 150, 200, 300 or more dollars, and whether shipping to Europe added on the price will be 20, 50, or.... (etc.). I like the idea of new ramps, but it's not a 'must' for me, so I'm hesitant to say I'll buy them if I don't know what the price will be.

I do think it's a great initiative though! And I might buy them when they're made.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I'm sorry to not commit, but to me it makes a difference if it's 150, 200, 300 or more dollars, and whether shipping to Europe added on the price will be 20, 50, or.... (etc.). I like the idea of new ramps, but it's not a 'must' for me, so I'm hesitant to say I'll buy them if I don't know what the price will be.
I do think it's a great initiative though! And I might buy them when they're made.

I have to agree that price is an issue.

I dont have a price yet on these but its a lot of work to make them and Kerry would only commit to at least 25 sets.

If we can get that done, the initial batch ramps will be made!

So far 12 sets are listed.

I only need a few more.

#38 2 years ago

I’d take a set

#39 2 years ago

WOW!

12 to go!

Thanks!

#41 2 years ago

Yay! 14 !

11 more to go!

Thanks!

1 week later
#43 2 years ago

Bumping again!

There's got to be more games that need ramps.

#44 2 years ago

Bumping again? Wow, we need just a few more to get these made!

#45 2 years ago

How much are we talking here for a set?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

How much are we talking here for a set?

Im not sure yet.

Since there are none to buy, I am determining interest to see if its feasible to have them made.

Kerry Stair at Mantis Amusements is willing to make them if enough people want them.

#47 2 years ago

Put me on the list please!

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Put me on the list please!

YAY ! 15 interested!

This thread is on fire !!! LOL

#49 2 years ago

Im sending ramps to Kerry monday.

I successfully removed the decals to get them copied onto durable replacements.

20220128_140707 (resized).jpg20220128_140707 (resized).jpg

#50 2 years ago

Ramps sent in to Kerry, he is not intimidated by the design....

This is going to be epic!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marinette, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.