• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171221_170632~2 (resized).jpg
20171221_170739~2 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I see that this is a common problem, and have tried some of the suggestions, which seem to work for a while, and then I'm back to the ball just falling back in and it trying over and over to launch it until it times out and says to call service person. It seems like it will launch it with no problem for a few games, then it will start struggling a bit, maybe taking 2-3 tries to launch it, until finally it can't do it at all. It's almost like it's tiring out. Everything looks fine and nothing is loose. Could it just be that I need a new coil?

Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Rare it needs a new coil. Likely worn or dirty parts, or poor wiring connections.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Replace the plunger, cup assembly. Call Pinball resource and get the right stuff. Look at the Stargate specific stuff and he has a diagram of the left vuk on his website. Then replace everything and the coil sleeve. Coil is usually fine just ohm it out and if the sleeve can go in and out smoothly then it’s good. It will work.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ekthoren:

Replace the plunger, cup assembly. Call Pinball resource and get the right stuff. Look at the Stargate specific stuff and he has a diagram of the left vuk on his website. Then replace everything and the coil sleeve. Coil is usually fine just ohm it out and if the sleeve can go in and out smoothly then it’s good. It will work.

Ok, I think I found all the replacement parts I need on their website. Before I do that though, I was checking the fuses and the one that controls the left VUK (F27), looks blown to me (pic attached). If that's the case though, would it work at all? I also attached of pic of the VUK. Does it matter if the piece where the wires attach rotates a bit, or if the plunger tip rotates?

Thanks!

20171221_170739~2 (resized).jpg20171221_170739~2 (resized).jpg

20171221_170632~2 (resized).jpg20171221_170632~2 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Hi
It's normal that the coil turn a little bit and also have space between coil and metal parts who hold it but not fix it (move 1mm up).
This pinball need to be at perfect 6,5°
(sometimes eared about people who level down their pinball due to speed...dumb). And also adjust the outter gate who bring the ball into the ramp.
If fuse always blows, you can put an upper one but just 1st upper value...when there are too many balls in some ejector like the lower left, it can blow fuse.
Have fun

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

I checked and it's at 6.4°. I'm assuming this is measured from the playfield? Since I replaced the fuse and the recommended parts, it's been working great. It still seems like it starts to get "tired" after a while, but it's only taken 2 attempts to launch the ball in maybe 50 times.

#7 6 years ago

Well I posted too soon. Right after my last post I started having issues again. It started taking multiple attempts every time, and one of the times started to give me the call service person message but it was during a multiball so it tried again and got it. Since then I've also had a couple incidents where I had multiple balls go in to it at once, once with 2 and the other with 3, so I thought for sure I was going to have to get them out manually but somehow it managed to launch them all out. So I'm really unsure as to what's going on or how to solve it. I did notice that sometimes it's like the balls are hitting the sides as they go up and possibly losing momentum? I'm really not sure what else to try.

#8 6 years ago

I was having the same problems with my left VUK. I changed my sleeve and the plunger but the problem came back. Then I fixed the alignment of the whole assembly. This worked for a while but the problem came back. Finally, I fixed the alignment of the coil against the assembly using rings between the coil and the bottom bracket. This tightens the coil and pushes the screws lower in their oval hole so they can't move anymore.

This is documented here. The link also points to other links for more suggestions if that's not your problem.
https://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23493
The trick to use a slurpee straw for the alignment really helped.

The coil is strong enough. I did not have to change it.

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

I have the same, but limited, issue on the left VUK That being said, the center VUK is driving me nuts. Any suggestions on the center VUK, which fires and can't get the ball up would be helpful. I've taken the coil and assembly out. I made sure it was aligned perfectly in the middle of the bracket opening. Cleaned the piston end and filed it flat where it was having a bit of gunk build up.

What's worse is that I have a league night tomorrow and need to get this going with the parts I have or can beg borrow and steal from local friends.

#10 6 years ago

also, does anyone have the ability to post a few pictures of the right ramp assembly that the center VUK feeds? The guide piece that feeds the ramp appears to have two options. One where it can go over the gold ramp, or vice versa. Not sure which is correct.

#11 6 years ago

Here is a picture of the right ramp
http://www.silverball-magic.com/smagic/my-machines/sg_rightramp.jpg
It's hard to know which angle you need from your description.
For me, the "guide piece that feeds the ramp" is the top of the right VUK scoop
http://www.pbresource.com/stargate/gtb-31174.jpg
which is obviously way above the ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-left-vuk?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.