IMG_1620.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1612.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I just finished the playfield restore on my Stargate. I cleaned everything above and below the playfield and did a clear coat on it. I have one possible issue though. I'm not sure if it is a real issue or if Stargate just preforms like this so maybe someone with some experience with a Stargate and how it plays can give me some advice.

The only thing I have an issue with right now is I have a hard time making it up the right ramp from a dead stop on the flippers. I can make it if the ball rolls down the lane guide and has some momentum, but not from a dead stop. I don't know if this is normal for Stargate or not? I don't mind picking up a flipper rebuild kit (although I cleaned and polished all the flipper mechs spotless) but first I want to see if it is actually an issue at all and if there is another way to fix it. I have read on other forums that even after a flipper rebuild kit the flippers are still weak and it had something to do with the contact point or some diode or something like that. I want to make sure it is not another issue before I purchase the flipper rebuild kit.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

#2 8 years ago

EDIT: I thought I read you are having issues with the left ramp. I never had issues with the right. So I guess you can probably ignore my comment/list below lol. Try hitting your finger with the flipper. Will it push your finger out of the way, or stop in its tracks.

1. Left ramp was designed to be very hard to hit.
2. I am told it was designed to be hit from a moving hit vs dead stop.
3. Coil and sleeve need to be good.
4. Machine needs to be level.

*I am thinking about putting Williams flippers in my SG. Super Bands helped me a bit.
I had to level the machine just right, but I still need the ball to have some momentum in order to make the ramp.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

EDIT: I thought I read you are having issues with the left ramp. I never had issues with the right. So I guess you can probably ignore my comment/list below lol. Try hitting your finger with the flipper. Will it push your finger out of the way, or stop in its tracks.
1. Left ramp was designed to be very hard to hit.
2. I am told it was designed to be hit from a moving hit vs dead stop.
3. Coil and sleeve need to be good.
4. Machine needs to be level.
*I am thinking about putting Williams flippers in my SG. Super Bands helped me a bit.
I had to level the machine just right, but I still need the ball to have some momentum in order to make the ramp.

Like I said I cleaned and polished all the flipper mech parts so the left ramp is a breeze to make every time from the upper flipper. But the two lower flippers seem weak. I pressed my finger against the flipper while it was in the up position and it just pulses and makes a weird sound and is pretty easy to push down with my finger.

#4 8 years ago

Rebuild flipper mech including EOS switch.

Check/replace cabinet flipper switches.

Insure you have correct coils installed A-25959 red wrapper.

Set playfield pitch to six degrees no more.

Doing all that you should not have a problem making the right ramp at all, even from a catch.

Not doing even one of the above and you can have problems.

viperrwk

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Like I said I cleaned and polished all the flipper mech parts so the left ramp is a breeze to make every time from the upper flipper. But the two lower flippers seem weak. I pressed my finger against the flipper while it was in the up position and it just pulses and makes a weird sound and is pretty easy to push down with my finger.

I had the same issue with my ST:TNG left flipper recently. I just replaced the coil as well with a new sleeve and it works great.
When you say you polished flipper mech. Did you remove the solenoid and pull out the sleeve?

#6 8 years ago

I had the same issue with my ST:TNG left flipper recently. I just replaced the coil as well with a new sleeve and it works great.
When you say you polished flipper mech. Did you remove the solenoid and pull out the sleeve?

Yes, I cleaned the plastic sleeve as well.

#7 8 years ago

Also just to note, I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I bought the machine the previous owner was a walking chimney and to get rid of the smoke smell I painted the inside of the cab black but I forgot to cover the flipper button leaf switches. When I put the machine back together the flippers didn't work at all. Then I sanded the contact points on the leaf switches and cleaned with alcohol and the flippers worked after that. Just wanted to note that the leaf switches were covered in black enamel paint in case it made a difference.

#8 8 years ago

Also just to note, I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I bought the machine the previous owner was a walking chimney and to get rid of the smoke smell I painted the inside of the cab black but I forgot to cover the flipper button leaf switches. When I put the machine back together the flippers didn't work at all. Then I saned the contact points on the leaf switches and cleaned with alcohol and the flippers worked after that. Just wanted to note that the leaf switches were covered in black enamel paint in case it made a difference.

The smoke smell can usually be eliminated with a good cleaning and sticking a tupperware container of baking soda in the cabinet for a couple weeks. There are also various odor eaters that other folks on the forums have had success with.

Normally if you're going to repaint, it's best to strip the cabinet down to the bare wood.

Yes, I would replace the switches.

Also, don't bother to clean coil sleeves. Just replace them. They are worn as well as dirty.

What did you replace on the flipper assemblies?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The smoke smell can usually be eliminated with a good cleaning and sticking a tupperware container of baking soda in the cabinet for a couple weeks. There are also various odor eaters that other folks on the forums have had success with.
Normally if you're going to repaint, it's best to strip the cabinet down to the bare wood.
Yes, I would replace the switches.
Also, don't bother to clean coil sleeves. Just replace them. They are worn as well as dirty.
What did you replace on the flipper assemblies?

I tried the baking soda in the cab and it didn't do anything. This guy lit one colt after another. And they weren't cigarettes they were those mini cigars with the plastic tips it reaked. If you have other tips to get rid of the smell I would appreciate it. I also bought a Dr. Who from the same guy and it smells too so I was going to paint the inside of it black too, but haven't yet.

I didn't replace anything in the flipper assembly, just cleaned everything really well. It seemed to make it up the right ramp no problem before the restore?

#10 8 years ago

I tried the baking soda in the cab and it didn't do anything. This guy lit one colt after another. And they weren't cigarettes they were those mini cigars with the plastic tips it reaked. If you have other tips to get rid of the smell I would appreciate it. I also bought a Dr. Who from the same guy and it smells too so I was going to paint the inside of it black too, but haven't yet.
I didn't replace anything in the flipper assembly, just cleaned everything really well. It seemed to make it up the right ramp no problem before the restore?

Search the forums for smell/odor eaters. I don't know of any off-hand since the baking soda has worked for me so far.

Check the resistance reading on the coil to make sure it's still good.

http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html

Also, if the flippers haven't been worked on recently, I would rebuild the flipper assembly with all new parts--a new sleeve, EOS switch, plunger, link, and coil stop. The plunger and coil stop are probably mushroomed/worn by this point and the sleeve and EOS switch are probably hindering operation.

Also, make sure that the flipper bat is tight and angled correctly.

PBResource and Pinballlife.com sell kits that aren't too expensive.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. I checked PBR rebuild kits and they don't come with the coils. Should I just get new coils too for the heck of it?

#12 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. I checked PBR rebuild kits and they don't come with the coils. Should I just get new coils too for the heck of it?

New coils are only necessary if they are too swollen to properly accept a sleeve/plunger, or if the resistance reading is way off, or if they are otherwise damaged in some way.

#13 8 years ago

pics of the restore.

IMG_1612.jpgIMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1614.jpgIMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1613.jpgIMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1617.jpgIMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpgIMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpgIMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpgIMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1622.jpgIMG_1622.jpg

#14 8 years ago

If you set this game up steep, that right ramp is hard to hit. You can remedy this by upping the coil strength one step. I did this on mine, the coils are not overly powerful but push the ball well enough to now make that ramp.

#15 8 years ago

Very nice restore... My playfield is plagued with cracks. Wish mine looked like yours

#16 8 years ago

Very nice restore... My playfield is plagued with cracks. Wish mine looked like yours

mine was plagued with spider cracks too before I started. Just do a restore and it will look beautiful.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from djriel:

If you set this game up steep, that right ramp is hard to hit. You can remedy this by upping the coil strength one step. I did this on mine, the coils are not overly powerful but push the ball well enough to now make that ramp.

How do you up the coil strength? A new stronger coil? And I do have mine steep, I like my games fast.

#18 8 years ago

mine was plagued with spider cracks too before I started. Just do a restore and it will look beautiful.

How did you repair the million cracks?

#19 8 years ago

How do you up the coil strength? A new stronger coil? And I do have mine steep, I like my games fast.

Yup, just use the larger strength coil, Gottlieb coil A-25959 with a A-29876.

#20 8 years ago

How did you repair the million cracks?

I'm no professional so don't take my word for it ask a professional. But the cracks seemed to be in the factory clear only so I sanded the PLAYFIELD down VERY carefully and slowly so I wouldn't sand down to the paint. I sanded until the cracks just started to disappear, then I ran a wet towel across the Playfield so I could see what it would look like when cleared and boom, no more million spider cracks! so I just did my touch ups from the mylar removal then put a bunch of coats of clear on and it looked brand new.

#21 8 years ago

I'm no professional so don't take my word for it ask a professional. But the cracks seemed to be in the factory clear only so I sanded the PLAYFIELD down VERY carefully and slowly so I wouldn't sand down to the paint. I sanded until the cracks just started to disappear, then I ran a wet towel across the Playfield so I could see what it would look like when cleared and boom, no more million spider cracks! so I just did my touch ups from the mylar removal then put a bunch of coats of clear on and it looked brand new.

Very nice. Sounds tempting, but I think I will just keep an eye out for a clean one and sell this one. But, I have not seen one in forever so that day may be far far away.

#22 8 years ago

Personally I wouldn't go to the 29876 coil. I did and went back to stock.With properly rebuilt flippers and leveled playfield there should be no issues making either ramp.

Remember lots of playfield parts are NLA for SG. The chances of you breaking those parts increase with the higher strength coils.

Nonetheless, at the end of the day it's your game do what you want with it.

viperrwk

#23 8 years ago

Very nice. Sounds tempting, but I think I will just keep an eye out for a clean one and sell this one. But, I have not seen one in forever so that day may be far far away.

I don't think I've ever seen a "really nice" one for sale at all. But it is a TON of work to restore, there are so many parts on and under the playfield on a Stargate. I started the restore in February I think and am just finishing now . I don't know how people like HEP, Kruzman and Mccune who do high end restores make any money, it takes sooooo long to do. But I guess they are professionals so they can do it faster.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.