You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201222_112653 (resized).jpg
20201222_112619 (resized).jpg
20201222_112634 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all. This is my first post and my first pinball machine. I know there are some other threads on this topic but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with my specific boot issue.

When the games boots correctly it stays on and operates properly until I turn it off. But, roughly 25% of the time the machine boots into an error state.

The most common situation is as follows:
- Machine boots, display is dark, general illumination is on, the other lights (should be flashing / attract mode) are off. All status lights on boards are flashing correctly except for: Control board status light is flashing too fast, display board status light is on and steady (i.e. not flashing).
- 10-15 seconds go by after power on
- Display board status light begins flashing at normal rate and display turns on with, however the display is just blinking the screen where you have the info in the 4 corners (GAME OVER, Score, Coins, ##) sometimes the text is garbage here but other times not, the playfield lights still aren't on and the game doesn't work (doesn't recognize coins, start button does nothing).

Less common:
- Machine boots, display is dark, general illumination is on, the other lights (should be flashing / attract mode) are off. All status lights on boards are flashing correctly except for: Control board status light is OFF, display board status light is either OFF or on steady (not blinking).
- Display NEVER turns on.

Things I have tried:
- I don't hear the constant beep when I have the boot issues (I've seen this described as a symptom)
- Checksum is 89AA so I have the latest GPROM code (GPROM sticker says 742/6)
- Display ROM sticker says 742/3 so I think that is also the latest.
- Battery reads roughly 3.6V
- Power supply is adjusted correctly and holds steady. Performing the test where I slightly raise and lower the voltage seems to have no impact on booting.
- removed and reseated all ribbon connectors between boards
- removed all cables (ribbon and otherwise) from display board to see if it was the culprit by looking at control board status light, here is what happens: Sometimes the control board status light flashes rapidly as it did when it was in the boot error state. Sometimes the control Control board status light blinks in bursts of 4 flashes, perhaps it is indicating that it doesn't sense a display board (??) and maybe this is correct behavior.

I know there are some things to try next (e.g. replacing caps or chips) but they are more invasive so I was hoping someone had my exact issue with a solution or maybe y'all could suggest which thing to try next.

20201222_112619 (resized).jpg20201222_112619 (resized).jpg20201222_112634 (resized).jpg20201222_112634 (resized).jpg20201222_112653 (resized).jpg20201222_112653 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I had roughly the same issue. Turned out to be the battery. I changed it and all the problems went away. Apparently when you reboot it leans on the battery for some reason.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks guys. mezzblue did you put in a battery holder or did you find a battery with the tabs on it?

@yeoldpinplayer, thanks for the link. It seems the newer control board ROM (which I think I have)was supposed to prevent the need for the common fixes with replacing caps and chips...

#5 3 years ago

Stock battery with tabs.

1 week later
#6 3 years ago

Hi all. I replaced the battery (installed a holder in case I have to do this again).

It didn't work. Boot problems are the same. Any other ideas?

#7 3 years ago

I'm having similar issues on Wipeout.

DMD is blank, LED is solid on
MPU led flashing 2 seconds, then turns off for a second and then repeats.

So far I have replaced the battery with battery holder and CR2032, replaced C20,C21 caps and R5/R6 resistors as well as the U8 GAL chip on the DMD controller.

Will probably replace U11 on the MPU next (have ordered it) and also get a 27c512 rom to try out Marcos testrom.

#8 3 years ago

zezami is your problem intermittent or does it happen every time?

#9 3 years ago

Your sound and CPU ROMs are different versions. Not sure if they have to match, but I would look into that. Flippers dot com is the only place they're sold.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from jtbassic:

zezami is your problem intermittent or does it happen every time?

Happens every time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-boot-problems-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.