(Topic ID: 254975)

Stargate - ball release not behaving...but coil and switch are ok!

By Markz

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by clempo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

My Stargate started acting funny when it would not always notice that multi-ball was down to a single ball (during the 3rd ball glider round specifically). At first, I suspected the outhole switch...but that's fine. Just recently it stopped kicking balls out at all! The outhole will shoot the ball up the ramp, but the ball release will not open when it's supposed to. In test mode, the switches read fine and the coils / ball release function as they should. I wonder if there could be something going on with my main driver board? But if so....why would test mode send signals just fine. Could the software be corrupted somehow? What do I do about that? Thanks all!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Markz:

The outhole will shoot the ball up the ramp, but the ball release will not open when it's supposed to. In test mode, the switches read fine and the coils / ball release function as they should.

Outhole coil? Don't you mean the autoplunger in the shooter lane?

Did you test the outhole (center ball drain), trough, and the shooter lane switches in the switch test using a ball or finger? If you use your finger, you may not notice that a switch may not be registering until well below the surface of the playfield or trough. Check them with a ball at least 10 times each. If you can't get them all to register all times, you need to adjust the switch(es).

#3 4 years ago

I was blaming the software too when my machine thought I lost all balls when there was still one remaining after multiball. I ended up replacing the trough switch because it was bouncing.

You should install the version 5 ROMs if not done already. It did not fix that problem, but it did fix a bunch of other bugs I had.

#4 4 years ago

So no....not the outhole coil. autoplunger is fine. This has to do with the mechanism that releases the ball into the shooter lane. When the ball drops into the outhole, there is a switch. That in turn fires the ball up a small ramp where it sits in line, waiting for the ball release mechanism to let the ball drop into the lane. In test mode, everything functions just as it should. Put it in play and no go. =( I have no idea which ROMS are currently in it actually. I'll have to check on that.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Markz:

The outhole will shoot the ball up the ramp

This is what I am asking about. You actually meant autoplunger?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Markz:

In test mode, everything functions just as it should.

Just double checking...you're using a ball to test all the outhole, trough and shooter lane switches in test mode?

#7 4 years ago

yes....using an actual ball. Switches read just fine. Solenoid for the ball release works fine in test mode too. That is what is really throwing me off. If the switch and the coil are ok....and test mode can tell it what to do and it works, then what is going on when it's in play mode that is not allowing the ball to be released into the plunger lane?

Someone mentioned upgrading ROM's. Anyone have any good links/ advice here? (how to check what I have now, where to find new ones, etc)

Thanks again. Really appreciate the support.

PS. The autoplunger (to fire the ball up the lane and into game play) is working. It's the hidden mechanism that drops the ball into the plunger lane that is not dropping the ball into play.

pinball (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

What version ROM do you have now?

Pinball Resource is normally the source for all things Gottieb. Though, Marco is starting to carry some parts.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Markz:

Someone mentioned upgrading ROM's. Anyone have any good links/ advice here? (how to check what I have now, where to find new ones, etc)

The ROM version is listed on the first screen when you boot the machine. Mine says 742/5 with GPROM Checksum 89AA.
There are 5 ROMs and they are not all at the same version. Chances are you will only have to change the GPROM.
arom1.bin
drom1.bin
dsprom3.bin
gprom5.bin
yrom1.bin

There is a sticker showing you the ROM locations on the boards, look for it in the lower left corner of the back metal plate in the head. There should be a sticker on the ROM chip itself telling you its version.

The copyright owner enforces his copyright on these ROMs. That does not help much if they run out of stock.

Have you ever played virtual pinball like pinmame? It is as if you are playing on a real machine.

Don't expect this will solve your problem though. For me, it helped fix some screen display issues especially when scrolling.

#10 4 years ago

Looks like I have version 3 for GPROM and DPROM. V1 for all else. I'm on the hunt! If you have any leads on a V4 or V5, please let me know!

Oh.....to add to the mix. My left pivot Horus doesn't seem to move during test mode. What is happening to my baby? Boo!

#11 4 years ago

The only ROM you need is the GPROM.
The copyright holder is pbresource but I did not see the Stargate ROMs listed on their site. You can try contacting them.
Another option is to find the file and get it burned on your chip.

Stargate is available as a virtual pinball. I am sure you will find it interesting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-ball-release-not-behavingbut-coil-and-switch-are-ok- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.