(Topic ID: 254662)

[UPDATED] Stargate alternative sound audio ( gottlieb system 3 )

By gsavin

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Code
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1952 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_1937 (1) (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hello

Here is a prototype concept to replace the sound board ( and aux board) of a system 3 pinball and play alternative audio file.

The sound board is pilot by 8 pin. ( 10 pin molex cable : 8 pin for audio number, 1 pin to reset/start the sound board and a pin not connected )

Sound file are code from 0 to 255 in hex

If pin are read in the good sequence , the sound number is the same one than the one you can extract from pinmame. - ( 22 music file & 110 total wav file for stargate ) So its realy easy to got the "original sound pack "with the good wav number...

I also found 2 commands : 0 for stoping all music and 190 for progressive stop.
Music are loop by default.

here is a video with original audio file extracted from pinmame :

here is a second video i did with some alternative audio file from the movie :

( I still do not spend lot of time to change wav file.
It s only a prof of concept from now )

i did some tweak since in the code and now it s near perfect i still have to insert some random option with wav file.

So the game is fully playable like with orignal audio board.

In the video you saw , i got problem with the ground and speaker. so the speaker sound wasn't nice.
I i use earphone the sound is like cd quality.
i am looking to add an amplifier so we could remove the original one of the pinball and get stereo sound.

The raspberry you see in video is used only for remote access ( wifi ) and usefull for change volume and record wav number ( and for testing )

the cost is minimal.
at least you need an arduino nano 20 $ and a wav trigger 50$.

to continue...

it should work with any system 3 pinball.
I will post schematic and code if some are interested in a few days.

Added over 2 years ago:

project update

#2 4 years ago

Génial j'ai hâte de voir la suite...
One of the best upgrade missing for Gottlieb System 3 pinballs

#3 4 years ago

This looks fantastic.
I have just brought a SG I am massively disappointed with the sound.
I would like to add this to my machine.
Is it something you will sell as a plug and play?

Very impressive

#4 4 years ago

hello

the process is easy and anyone can do it.

i will not sell a plug and play (at first ? ) . because i am not looking for making money and because it means add some warrantly and support.
I am not and electronics expert so i could not ensure that i don't damage anything.

i can only show and explain how i did it.

it s only for passion sharing...and if some people want to improve the solution , go for it
i only hope they will share the same way.

i will post a detailed tutorial ( before christmas) so anyone could do the same.

part needed are an arduino mega (8$) and a wav trigger from spkarfun.(50$)
optional : a 2.1 audio amplificator to improve sound quality ( 20$ ) and also external power supply. (15$)

the hardest & boring part is to extract original sound wav file from PinMame & BridgeM1.

from now i am waiting for 2.1 amp i ordered...

to be continue...

#5 4 years ago

I’m keen to try this out. Once you have put the post up, I will be your first guinea pig

1 week later
#6 4 years ago

prototype V1

#7 4 years ago

Awesome little project, with better speakers that would sound amazing.

#8 4 years ago

Fantastic
Just what this game needs.
I’m looking forward to the tutorial so I can sort mine out.

#9 4 years ago

Yes! Tutorial please.
Interested to know how audio was extracted.
Can call-outs be changed too?

1 week later
#10 4 years ago

Hello

I am coming back from holidays , so i have some time again for this project.

Quoted from brenna98:

Yes! Tutorial please.
Interested to know how audio was extracted.
Can call-outs be changed too?

all sound could be changed.

i am also posting news about this project on a french forum. Easier in french for me ...

here a translate about wow to extract sound.

----
pour l'extraction des sons d'origines je vous renvois vers un tuto qui n'est pas de moi mais que j'ai utilisé : (j ai le droit de poster un lien ?)
il y a deux méthodes
www.vpforums.org
How to rip sounds and music from ROMs using PinMAME32 and M1 - Basic Visual Pinball Tutorials - Visual Pinball Tutorials - Tutorials
Exactly what it says on the tin.
www.vpforums.org www.vpforums.org

-BridgeM1
a savoir que le numéro du wav enregistré via BridgeM1 correspond exactement au numéro qui faut conserver sur la carte sd du wav trigger. Et ça c'est vraiment tip top !

il a fallu que je fasse un brainstorming en binaire avec les 8 pins c'est pour cella que sur le montage l'ordre de branchement des pins entre la carte cpu gottlieb et celle de l'arduino est à respecter.

-PinMame
concernant l'extraction de son avec la méthode PinMame : je trouve que la qualité du son est meilleur. De plus avec BridgeM1 il me manquant des sons
concernant la numérotation avec PinMame : il faut faire une simple soustraction a 255 :
si le fichier wav extrait = 20.wav
alors il faut faire 255-20 = 235

et donc sur la carte sd mettre le fichier 235.wav.
------
> translate

----
for the extraction of original sounds I refer you to a tutorial that is not mine but that I used: (I have the right to post a link?)
there are two methods

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=54

-Using BridgeM1
the wav number extracted using BridgeM1 is the same number that the cpu board ouptut using the 8 Pin. And that's really tip top!

it's just a brainstorming with the 8 pins Each pin have to be plug/read in the arduino in a specific order. exemple 00000101 = 5 in decimal so you have to play the wav file number 005 extrac using BridgeM1

Strangly i miss some wav file using BridgeM1 method.

-PinMame
PinMame is much longer work. Have to use audio editor like audacity to remove blanc before and after sound.
But i could extract all the sound.
concerning numbering with PinMame: you have to do a simple substraction at 255:
if the extracted wav file = 20.wav
then you have to do 255-20 = 235

and so on sd card of the wav trigger put the file named 235.wav.
------

Here is the simple code i used in the arduino. ( the short one without sd recording & no arduino remote control )
It s working nicely like original sound card.

https://pastebin.com/sURSTXn3

i am working on a new code that add the possibility to play random sound. Like Pinsound card.
I also change speaker by old dataEast speaker that do the job.
sound is now much better like cd audio.

But the job is now to change all the wav file by better quality sound.

#11 4 years ago

Wow, this looks (sounds) awesome! Desperately needed. I'm eagerly awaiting the tutorial, and once people have figured out the sound extraction (and possible callout replacement) I'm ready to jump in. Ideally, someone will be willing to share their audio files so idiots like me don't have to try and do all the audio work ourselves.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Ideally, someone will be willing to share their audio files so idiots like me don't have to try and do all the audio work ourselves.

+1

Another idiot here standing by.

#14 4 years ago

This is relevant to my interests. I'm tech savvy though

2 months later
#15 4 years ago

I’m very, very interested in this for my Shaq Attaq. Watching post.

3 months later
#16 3 years ago

This is really cool, thanks for sharing!

Any progress on playing random WAV files from a set of files for each sound? It wouldn't even need to be random, it could be as simple as playing sequentially through a list of WAV files.

3 weeks later
#17 3 years ago

hello

sorry for the lake of news for this project.

got a baby last year and no more time for this project...

My prototype is still in place and working well. ( i could not going back to old sound card )

this summer i will work on a new one on ESP32, i want to integrate wifi for remote monitoring & sound setup as well as random sound.
I also need more Mhz for this...

see you soon i hope

2 weeks later
#18 3 years ago

Thanks for being such an awesome pioneer my friend. Your work is appreciated!

1 year later
#19 2 years ago

Wonder the status on this project. Would greatly benefit all system 3. I have a street fighter 2 and super mario bros machine with pin2dmd mods. A sound solution to incorporate the original arcade sf 2 sounds and snes mario world sounds would be awesome

5 months later
#20 2 years ago

Hello

project is now completed.

I just received the last version of the board.

It s near plug and play.

The board need a 220V external input ( have to check if it s ok with 110V ) The board boot with the pinball.

The board use original plug/cable of the pinball and go inplace of the original sound board.

The board need an audio amplification board, an arduino mega to read pinball input, a Rasperry PI 3 B+, ( +an usb audio card for better sound quality : optional ). All go directly on the pcb board with fixation included.

The firmware is wifi compatible : sound-matrice , sound level, could be edited remotly on smartphone/pc. ( webpage ). Sound can be randomize and test.

In a few days , i will post the PCB and required part for those who are interrested to build there own.

I will also prepare some card ready to use for some friend, so if people also interrested plz MP me. I am waiting for the price but i think it will be less than 300€. ( i don't to do money on this project ^^ )

There is matrice sound ready for the stargate but system should be compatible with all sys3. ( matrice sound have to be created )

regards

IMG_1937 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_1937 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_1952 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_1952 (1) (resized).jpg
1 week later
#21 2 years ago
Quoted from gsavin:

Hello
project is now completed.
I just received the last version of the board.
It s near plug and play.
The board need a 220V external input ( have to check if it s ok with 110V ) The board boot with the pinball.
The board use original plug/cable of the pinball and go inplace of the original sound board.
The board need an audio amplification board, an arduino mega to read pinball input, a Rasperry PI 3 B+, ( +an usb audio card for better sound quality : optional ). All go directly on the pcb board with fixation included.
The firmware is wifi compatible : sound-matrice , sound level, could be edited remotly on smartphone/pc. ( webpage ). Sound can be randomize and test.
In a few days , i will post the PCB and required part for those who are interrested to build there own.
I will also prepare some card ready to use for some friend, so if people also interrested plz MP me. I am waiting for the price but i think it will be less than 300€. ( i don't to do money on this project ^^ )
There is matrice sound ready for the stargate but system should be compatible with all sys3. ( matrice sound have to be created )
regards[quoted image][quoted image]

Very Nice. I've been following this thread with interest. I picked up a Stargate, and love the game. But the music is frankly terrible. If it works with 110V, I'm all in.

#23 2 years ago

Wooo! and recently got stargate, so def interested in whats involved/required here.

#24 2 years ago

Outstanding work! I'm hoping it works on 110v

3 weeks later
#25 1 year ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Outstanding work! I'm hoping it works on 110v

Really great job. I have the luck to have the "right" Voltage.
gsavin Already wrote you a message. I realy need this and hope you sell one to me.
I read you got a new board. For me your prototype would be enough if you need it no more.
BR Andi

4 months later
#27 1 year ago

Following

3 months later
#28 1 year ago

Also interested. Following

2 weeks later
#29 1 year ago

Add me to the list of interested and following as well.

4 months later
#30 10 months ago

I'd be interested aswell. Is this still available if you are still making them?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-alternative-sound-audio-gottlieb-system-3- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.