Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sara SF (resized).jpg
IMG_5994(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5975 (resized).jpg
Starfield but if it was 80s pinball.png
Screenshot_20230901_164743_YouTube (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 months ago

Starfield is the newest game from Bethesda, the folks who made Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and 4, etc. Lots of folks are saying "Skyrim in space".

The game officially releases on the 6th of September, but pre-orders at the second tier goes live tonight 8 eastern in the states.

For any PC players interested, fanatical.com has a deal using code fanatical17 coupon code to save 17%. The only real downside to doing that vs buying on steam is not having the refund option. I jumped on this version. Going to try running it on my Steam Deck as well as my PC which will be the main place I play it. I did also go through the setup of Sunshine and Moonlight so I have the option of play on the Steam Deck with my PC doing the heavy lifting. Initial reports of Steam Deck performance are its ok, to pretty choppy at times especially in the really populated planets.

Reviews are all going live now. Reddit aggregate thread below:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/166f36h/starfield_review_thread/

Performance-wise, I think I will be good. AMD 5600x with a RTX 3700 should be plenty. They want to sell a boat load of PC copies (especially with no PS5/4 version) so I think the game will run on a wide range of hardware.

So who is in?

#2 3 months ago

It's a weird situation with me because I love the Fallouts bit think Skyrim is maybe the word game I've ever played that wasnt Mount & Blade.

#3 3 months ago

Beauty of gamepass is I’ll see how well I can run it. Would have loved it on ps5 but obviously can’t.

#4 3 months ago

I am excited as all get out to play this. Have to wait till the 6th, but playing on a pretty beefy computer. So excited. I'm embarrassed to say, I even took vacation time around it lol.

Love fallout. Love outer worlds. Love elite dangerous. How the hell will I not love this game? It is perfect for me.

#5 3 months ago

Have barely gamed at all this year, have been playing pins or working on house projects instead. Excited to get back into it with Starfield, and put my gaming PC with an RTX 3070 to use for something other than work. Also have Gamepass and waiting until the 6th.

#6 3 months ago

Game is amazing, no pinball for me this weekend. I will be stuck on this game

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Game is amazing, no pinball for me this weekend. I will be stuck on this game

If you're playing pc, what performance are you getting and what is your system?

#8 3 months ago

I haven’t been excited for a game since Elden Ring, but definitely looking forward to Starfield. I’ve put many happy hours into Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. It looks to have a little No Man’s Sky flavor, which is another favorite solo exploration game if you haven’t played it. I don’t have a Series X yet, but I do have decent internet. is anyone else planning to play on a standard XBox One via game pass?

#9 3 months ago

Looking forward to playing this but damn is Baldur's Gate 3 so good, it's been occupying what little video game time I have. I'm thinking BG3 will be GOTY for many outlets.

Thanks OP for the heads up about the coupon. I know Game Pass is out there but as someone who buys a few games a year owning them is the better deal (plus can buy them through Steam, use mods, buy / own official add on's, etc).

Reviews from actual gaming outlets seem just so so. Few quotes from IGN's review...I can't believe there's no map, that would drive me nuts.

"In Starfield, you can’t go anywhere without fast-traveling."

"The biggest fundamental contradiction within Starfield’s design is that while this is a galaxy-spanning adventure with literally hundreds of worlds you can land on and explore, it can feel extremely small when each of them is separated by little more than a (thankfully) brief loading screen"

".....is the fact that there are no actual maps – mini or otherwise"

"Starfield is a game that is roughly 30% inventory management… and yet it is shockingly bad at that task"

"It’s never a great sign when someone recommends a game on the grounds that it gets good after more than a dozen hours, but that’s very much the kind of game Starfield is"

"Filed under “does well enough” is combat"

#10 3 months ago

I'm in act 3 of BG3, and it is very good... but also a bit of a slog for me. It is doing what it does well, but the DnD aspect can get a bit tiresome after a while. I'm about 60 hours in and wouldn't be mad if it ended soon.

#11 3 months ago

So will it work on series S or do I need the X?

#12 3 months ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

So will it work on series S or do I need the X?

It will run in either. I think the x gets 4k support at 30 fps.

#13 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Reviews from actual gaming outlets seem just so so.

That's interesting. Seems par for the course for the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games though, they are always greater than the sum of their parts (IMO). From a critical standpoint, they lack polish/refinement, are often a buggy mess, and reviews tend blast them. Each of these games I've played have had an almost unforgivable amount of bugs. At the same time, they’re so fun and immersive to me that I have no problem looking past them. I have to admit the no map sounds odd. Time to get out the pen & paper like the old days!

I might have to check out Baldur's Gate too, thanks for the recommendation.

#14 3 months ago

Not sure if my gaming laptop will be able to run it well enough. If it can, I'll be looking forward to what the modding community does, which is hopefully on par with Fall Out 4 modding.

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"Starfield is a game that is roughly 30% inventory management… and yet it is shockingly bad at that task"
"It’s never a great sign when someone recommends a game on the grounds that it gets good after more than a dozen hours, but that’s very much the kind of game Starfield is"

These ones concern me the most out of that list.

#16 3 months ago

I'll wait until it's been out a year or more. Then I'll buy it for cheap and the bugs will be fixed and game updated. And Mods will come. Those were the best part of Skyrim.

#17 3 months ago

I played through a little bit last night. Early part is a bit of mining, then a gun fight, then a space fight, then checking out another moon/planet. The game ran really well on my machine. It defaulted my settings to pretty much all high options. They have FSR2 turned on by default and some resolution scaling. I didn't mess with any of that except to turn down motion blur as that is something I generally do not like having on in games. My monitor is 1440p 144hz and the game felt really smooth.

As far as the inventory piece, I haven't dealt with that much yet. We will see how in depth the space battles are, but early on it looks like you have quite a bit of control over your ship systems. You can divert power across the shields, engines, and weapon systems. I think It has three weapons at the beginning. Not sure if that is something up-gradable yet, but I am guessing so.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#18 3 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If you're playing pc, what performance are you getting and what is your system?

Sorry Xbox series x here .

#19 3 months ago

Checked the requirements and my laptop exceeds them. Probably will wait a month or so before buying to get some patches applied.

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Checked the requirements and my laptop exceeds them. Probably will wait a month or so before buying to get some patches applied.

Requirements are one thing, but even my 4090 is taking a pounding according to online benchmarks. So do some research to be sure you'll be happy with the frame rate.
Screenshot_20230901_164743_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230901_164743_YouTube (resized).jpg

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Requirements are one thing, but even my 4090 is taking a pounding according to online benchmarks. So do some research to be sure you'll be happy woth the frame rate.

By then, maybe can pirate and test before buying.

#22 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

And Mods will come. Those were the best part of Skyrim.

The Skyrim VR mod is amazing.

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

That's not a mod, that's an actual game. And yes, it is incredible.

#24 3 months ago

Im very much looking forward to playing this in 4k on my 4090, really hope they can add in DLSS soon. Im too busy with Baldurs Gate 3 right now to move onto starfield though. I know ill love it, but BG3 is incredible and Im in no rush to move on.

#25 3 months ago

As of today I don't recommend playing in Steam Deck. I fired it up fiddled with settings and had it running pretty decently, locked at 40 fps indoors. Then put the system to sleep And it would not come back correctly. Firing up the game randomly froze a couple times. Once I had it in sleep mode, came back and the right stick would no longer aim in game, but popped up a little cursor in the menus. All the other buttons and left stick worked fine... I read a few folks posts about getting it to run pretty well on the deck but that hasn't been my experience so far. It is still early on so I will have to come back to it.

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Im very much looking forward to playing this in 4k on my 4090, really hope they can add in DLSS soon. Im too busy with Baldurs Gate 3 right now to move onto starfield though. I know ill love it, but BG3 is incredible and Im in no rush to move on.

I got puredark's DLSS3 mod that includes replacing FSR with DLSS2 and adds DLSS3 frame gen. It is awesome. You need to join his patreon to get it. 5 dollars. WIith a 4090 you can play the game at 120 fps in 4k with everything cranked up, now.

#27 3 months ago

I took a break from playing to doodle my wildest dream, thought this would be a good place to share!

Starfield but if it was 80s pinball.pngStarfield but if it was 80s pinball.png
#28 3 months ago
Quoted from Leilakalomi:

I took a break from playing to doodle my wildest dream, thought this would be a good place to share!
[quoted image]

Maybe in 25 years someone will male it.

Tomorrow is the big day. Excited to play. Took a 5 day weekend from work for this. And no, I'm not kidding. I, of course, didn't tell work that.

#29 3 months ago

Looking forward to see what you guys think. Reviews are lukewarm so I'm waiting for some real world feedback.

#30 3 months ago

I played it quite a bit the past couple of days. Really enjoying it. The exploring is pretty cool. Missions have you going all over the place and doing different things right off the bat. You can actually climb stuff now rather than do the old fallout/oblivion/skyrim jump a million times to get over something. The jetpack is a cool mechanic especially on lower gravity planets. Lots and lots of stuff to research/unlock. Things aren't just given to you. The ship combat looks like there is still a good amount more for me to figure out. Ships have ballistic weapons, lasers ( i think), missiles, shields, thrusters, boost, targeting, and you can hail other ships to get your pirate on or just chat I guess. Most of that can be upgraded and there are tons of modules you can add on to your ship or just buy a different one.

Anyways, I dig it. As far as the reviews go, there are always people out there looking for stuff to complain about as negativity gets the most attention. The game is fun, that is what matters.

#31 3 months ago

Downloading it now - over 100gb. Later today will install it and test how well it does or doesn't work on my laptop.

Try before you buy!

#32 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Looking forward to see what you guys think. Reviews are lukewarm so I'm waiting for some real world feedback.

88 metacritic is luke warm? Why, that's.... that's like a pinball machine receiving a B letter grade!

But seriously, it is receiving pretty great grades on the whole, and if you like Bethesda in space, that's literally all you need to know.
IMG_5975 (resized).jpgIMG_5975 (resized).jpg

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

88 metacritic is luke warm? Why, that's.... that's like a pinball machine receiving a B letter grade!
But seriously, it is receiving pretty great grades on the whole, and if you like Bethesda in space, that's literally all you need to know.
[quoted image]

When some reviews are hot and some are cold, they combine to make lukewarm reviews.

IGN gave it a 7; for a Bethesda game, that's not very stellar at all. (See what I did there?)

PS - The no maps thing really annoys me...who wants to play a game with some guide open on your lap so you know where to go?

#34 3 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

There were many, many awesome mods! You needed to run a mod manager because there were so many great ones for everything you could imagine. Also, all the commercial expansions and the remastered edition. No reason to believe this won't also be the case with Starfield.

#35 3 months ago

I’m 31 hours in, and I absolutely love it. It takes a few hours to get its hooks in you, but if you loved Any elder scrolls game, you’ll love this

#36 3 months ago

It's annoying that this isn't coming to PS5 any time soon, if ever. I've poured countless hours into the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.

#37 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

When some reviews are hot and some are cold, they combine to make lukewarm reviews.
IGN gave it a 7; for a Bethesda game, that's not very stellar at all. (See what I did there?)
PS - The no maps thing really annoys me...who wants to play a game with some guide open on your lap so you know where to go?

IGN US gave it a 7. All their other countries IGNs gave it 10s and a 9.5.

Also, they gave alien isolation a 4. So.... their opinion holds very little weight to me. Honestly my favorite game of all time is fallout 4, and some people don't like that game. So eff em.

#38 3 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's annoying that this isn't coming to PS5 any time soon, if ever. I've poured countless hours into the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.

PC my man. PC is where it's at.

#39 3 months ago

PC allows for mods, which are already coming out. I also would recommend Steam vs windows store as it will not have all the locked down issues if you want to mod anything at all. For example the script extender was just released and will not run on the gamepass/windows store version. That will be necessary for modding soon.

A few tweaks I am running so far. The camera ups the Field of view as it felt too zoomed in to me. This should have been in the settings... The last entry is for skipping the intro vids.

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Starfield

create a file called StarfieldCustom.ini

[Camera]
fFPWorldFOV=100
fTPWorldFOV=105
fDefaultFOV=100

[FlightCamera]
fFlightCameraFOV=100

sIntroSequence=
uMainMenuDelayBeforeAllowSkip=0

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

PC allows for mods, which are already coming out. I also would recommend Steam vs windows store as it will not have all the locked down issues if you want to mod anything at all. For example the script extender was just released and will not run on the gamepass/windows store version. That will be necessary for modding soon.

Well that sucks about the mods. I’m gonna be playing on Gamepass. Suppose if I like it enough then I’ll have to buy it outright from Steam.

#41 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Reviews aren't lukewarm lol?

#42 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Reviews aren't lukewarm lol?

I'll wait to hear from you guys. But again...the lack of maps may annoy the shit out of me.

Just saw Gamespot gave it a 7 as well. Not great, but not terrible. You know...lukewarm.

#43 3 months ago

The game rocks. Not perfect and that is just fine. Gunplay is really good. Plays more like fallout with better shooting than Skyrim at this point. The skill system is really well done. Much better than other behtesda games in my opinion. There are 5 categories, each category has tiers. You have to get 4 unlocks in the first tier to get to the second. Also each unlock has a challenge to complete to get another in that skill, ex lockpick/security you have to unlock 5 things before you can go put another skill point in there.

Also I just got a new ship, big upgrade. The game is really fun. For those of you unlocking it or whatever they call it, enjoy. Ignore the reviews looking for clicks by scoring it low.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll wait to hear from you guys. But again...the lack of maps may annoy the shit out of me.
Just saw Gamespot gave it a 7 as well. Not great, but not terrible. You know...lukewarm.

The maps, not sure what you really need there man. You have the star and system maps, then on the planet view you can see places that are significant like cities, outposts, etc or you can just pick a spot to land to go explore and scavenge.

#44 3 months ago

Fired it up right at 8pm once it was unlocked on Gamepass. I'm digging it. I didn't mess with settings, just kept the auto ones, and it's running well with mostly ultra settings in 4K on my 4070ti. It's a cliche to say it's like Mass Effect mixed with No Man's Sky... but that's kind of what it's like. Also with some Elite Dangerous space battles, and some throwbacks to one of my old favorites, Star Control II. There's *a lot* going on.

#45 3 months ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Fired it up right at 8pm once it was unlocked on Gamepass. I'm digging it. I didn't mess with settings, just kept the auto ones, and it's running well with mostly ultra settings in 4K on my 4070ti. It's a cliche to say it's like Mass Effect mixed with No Man's Sky... but that's kind of what it's like. Also with some Elite Dangerous space battles, and some throwbacks to one of my old favorites, Star Control II. There's *a lot* going on.

Star Control 2 blew me away back in the day…such a good game.

#46 3 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

The maps, not sure what you really need there man. You have the star and system maps, then on the planet view you can see places that are significant like cities, outposts, etc or you can just pick a spot to land to go explore and scavenge.

I'm a busy guy. You want me to do what, now?

But seriously...when I play I don't have too much time to do so. When I play Assassin's Creed, the side quest people are like, "Can you help me?" And I'm all, like, "Oh, hell, no...just get me to the end of the game. I've got too much shit to fix around the house."

I'll pick it up today and give it a whirl...eventually.

#47 3 months ago

Played for 5 hours last night and it runs very well on my gaming laptop.

Have it running next to me while I work his morning just to get thru all the conversations at the Lodge out the way.

Anyone else get that sweet Mark I spacesuit, helmet and boost pack in the basement?

#48 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Played for 5 hours last night and it runs very well on my gaming laptop.
Have it running next to me while I work his morning just to get thru all the conversations at the Lodge out the way.
Anyone else get that sweet Mark I spacesuit, helmet and boost pack in the basement?

Didn't even know there was a basement. I got right back on the road as soon as they gave me a mission. Speaking of boosting... I had the first perk as part of the character picker deal at the beginning. Boosting around is awesome and is so fun especially in outdoor battles. Fly up a ledge or over the bad guys heads and blast away.

#49 3 months ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Didn't even know there was a basement. I got right back on the road as soon as they gave me a mission. Speaking of boosting... I had the first perk as part of the character picker deal at the beginning. Boosting around is awesome and is so fun especially in outdoor battles. Fly up a ledge or over the bad guys heads and blast away.

Yes, I took Bounty Hunter for the boost trait as well as the other two that came along with it.

#50 3 months ago

I love space games, and Skyrim in space is a great fit for me. I've been running ps5 and xbox 1 x lately; let me XBL lapse since I haven't been playing XB games online (for over a year). See my predicament!
I got a series S in a box that I've never opened. should I get a series X--is it that much an improvement? Or just the Series S and game pass?

I have too many consoles, so using the S with game pass seems to be the better fit I guess. I appreciate opinions

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starfield-thread?hl=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.