projector-sleep-bb-star-light-hypnotic-star.jpg
Laser.jpg
th-2.jpeg
IMG_6225.JPG
laser mod.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_3130.JPG
images.jpg
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

STLE was definitely a hit at SPF today in Orlando. Two WoZ Pros in the same room did not draw the same attention. The starfield projector was a hit too. The LE is definitely an impressive package. Well worth the extra $1200 over the Premium. The things they are doing with the colored inserts are really cool. Lots of sweeps and fades and color changes. It will only get better over time. Mine is a keeper already and I haven't gotten it!

I dunno - I see in WOZ when you hit the witch the inserts radiate outward red and yellow sweep from that exact location... like a huge fireball. I thought that was a reasonably cool use of the technology.

With STLE I only see the expected fades, sweeps and color changes... doesn't seem too creative at this point. Of course I've only seen a couple vids of it. Maybe something more interesting happens deeper in a longer game.

#352 10 years ago

I hope the projector is better in person because on these videos it's disappointing.

#353 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

STLE was definitely a hit at SPF today in Orlando. Two WoZ Pros in the same room did not draw the same attention. The starfield projector was a hit too. The LE is definitely an impressive package. Well worth the extra $1200 over the Premium. The things they are doing with the colored inserts are really cool. Lots of sweeps and fades and color changes. It will only get better over time. Mine is a keeper already and I haven't gotten it!

First day release vs. a machine that's been shown for over a year, I wouldn't say that STLE was drawing attention because it's "better" than WOZ. Just saying.

#354 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I dunno - I see in WOZ when you hit the witch the inserts radiate outward red and yellow sweep from that exact location... like a huge fireball. I thought that was a reasonably cool use of the technology.

With STLE I only see the expected fades, sweeps and color changes...

Yes WOZ is radiant and colorful and ST LE is the brightest and most colorful Stern to date. Only one difference-one has flow and plays well. I think people are already starting to jump ship on WOZ and will go with ST. Just my opinion-Peace

WOZ exit.jpgWOZ exit.jpg
#355 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think people are already starting to jump ship on WOZ and will go with ST. Just my opinion-Peace

Can't they both be good games? Why this constant Ford vs. Chevy scenario? If we like one, it doesn't have to mean the other sucks as your "WOZ exit" graphic tries to show. We are fortunate that there are so many interesting choices out there for us.

#356 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Can't they both be good games? Why this constant Ford vs. Chevy scenario? If we like one, it doesn't have to mean the other sucks as your "WOZ exit" graphic tries to show. We are fortunate that there are so many interesting choices out there for us.

Agreed. The constant dick measuring gets old fast.

They can measure themselves with this instead of pinball machines going forward.

a_baa-Dickometer-for-measurement-.jpga_baa-Dickometer-for-measurement-.jpg

#357 10 years ago

They are both fantastic titles. This is a forum and people express opinions on what they think whether good or bad. Both are very expensive and some cannot afford both- just the facts. It is not the Ford v.s. Chevy mentality it is enthusiastic pinball players expressing their personal opinions. It is just like all of the v.s. threads lately. ST v.s. Spiderman, Metallica v.s. AC/DC, etc. etc,....Its all good

#358 10 years ago

options are like ........ And everybody has one.if you like the title and are
Having fun. That is all that matters.after 13 years of hearing my
Game is better than yours or why would you own that game,it gets very
Old

#359 10 years ago

I blame the WOZ people 100% !

#360 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I don't think either side is without sin in the pin wars. As a result, no stones shall be cast.

In reality all stones will probably be cast in all directions, but I can dream can't I?

#361 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Because before there was WOZ this never occurred?

#362 10 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Slipper Flippers stupidest gimmick ever , nuff said .

I heard TH will have furry Hobbit feet on the flippers.

#363 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I don't think either side is without sin in the pin wars. As a result, no stones shall be cast.
In reality all stones will probably be cast in all directions, but I can dream can't I?

In Colorado it's OK to get stoned all the time

Viva la Subaru revolution!

#364 10 years ago

Just played the LE and it really is an awesome pin. The star field (disco ball) effect really isn't bad. It looks much better in person IMHO...

#365 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Just played the LE and it really is an awesome pin. The star field (disco ball) effect really isn't bad. It looks much better in person IMHO...

why didn't you make a video of it???????????????

#366 10 years ago
Quoted from zpeakabonk:

Probably because he wanted to play the game and draw his own conclusions.

#367 10 years ago

he could have shared it with us

#368 10 years ago

Looking at the latest videos wile it's not really a Starfield, I think it will look much better in person and with the pictures I have seen of the projector it looks like you could swap out the red laser for another color but only time will tell. I am more concerned about the LED lighted speaker grills. All the pictures of the LE I have seen so far with the exception of the one on the factory tour looks like they are not working.

#369 10 years ago

When you haven't seen or played the machine in person, thinking it's "awesome" diminishes your credibility a bit.

It's now to a point where basically, online pinball reviews are essentially meaningless, because everybody is so obsessed with "protecting their investment" nobody wants to give a bad review to a game they own. And now it's been exacerbated to the point where one company's fans feel compelled to constantly criticize the others. It's no fun.

We should not be so insecure that a criticism of a game we own (or have pre-ordered) affects our own personal sense of self. Hopefully we can rise above this pettiness and enjoy the hobby.

#370 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

STLE was definitely a hit at SPF today in Orlando. Two WoZ Pros in the same room did not draw the same attention.

Well that's obvious, as WOZ has been shown at dozens of shows over the past year, and this is the first unveiling of a ST LE. LOL Not exactly a fair comparison.

Either way, wish I was there to see it. Still feeling under the weather! I have a pretty good idea since I spent last week playing dozens of games on ST Pro every day. Gameplay looks identical.

Quoted from PinballHelp:

It's now to a point where basically, online pinball reviews are essentially meaningless, because everybody is so obsessed with "protecting their investment" nobody wants to give a bad review to a game they own. And now it's been exacerbated to the point where one company's fans feel compelled to constantly criticize the others. It's no fun.

Yeah, and those of us who really don't care either way about brand names, investments, etc and just want to give an honest opinion, our posts are usually brushed right over. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone responded to my posts about ST rules and concerns about that. The ruleset is just nowhere near a modern depth ruleset (yet), so it's going to be one of those waiting/wishing games, be prepared!

Pinside is more about knee-jerk responses, funny one-liners, abrasive comments, and eye-candy evaluation. "Rules? Rules? What are those? Just keep shining pretty lights and making things go CrAsH!!"

#371 10 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Well that's obvious, as WOZ has been shown at dozens of shows over the past year, and this is the first unveiling of a ST LE. LOL Not exactly a fair comparison.

Woz people never brought this up when operators were claiming huge intakes of cash ? people put money in woz because they heard about it for almost 3 years and put two bucks in and walked away .

#372 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Woz people never brought this up when operators were claiming huge intakes of cash ? people put money in woz because they heard about it for almost 3 years and put two bucks in and walked away .

Yeah, that builds your credibility!

#373 10 years ago

why does every post on pinside ends with the eternal Woz vs stern debate??

it's starting to get annoying

#374 10 years ago

Yeah, that builds your credibility!

Sure does !

#375 10 years ago
Quoted from zpeakabonk:

why does every post on pinside ends with the eternal Woz vs stern debate??
it's starting to get annoying

Starting to?

#376 10 years ago

i was responding with tact

#377 10 years ago

hmm,.. This sucks, but it did get me thinking about a mod. Take a handheld projector mount it in the back to project video clips onto the PF. The handheld projectors can play video or images from a micro-SD card. After a bit of wiring someone theoretically could sync this with any game. May also be a neat mod to project images on the floor or walls based on game play.

projector.jpgprojector.jpg

#378 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

They can measure themselves with this instead of pinball machines going forward.

I don't think I measure up,I will have to just stick to pinball.

#379 10 years ago
Quoted from zpeakabonk:

Did I not say it's better in person?

#380 10 years ago

What I find funny is everyone in this thread that has actually played the pin including myself have felt the whole package really works well together. Everyone who hasn't seen the game just bitch about it and say how cheap everything looks. All the people I have talked to at SPF this weekend also really like the game. I've been at the front door pretty much all weekend so I have talked to a lot of players.

I got some feedback earlier in the week about why I didn't take video and pics at IAAPA. Why? So you have something else to say the game sucks because of a bad cell phone video? Besides I was there for work and it is also my chance to have a little fun so I'm really not concerned about making videos so people can bitch about Stern quality.

I have no money in this as I am not buying one, just my opinion about a game and how funny some of the comments are.

#381 10 years ago

I would disagree that it's worth $1200 over the premium. $1200 is a JP or SST machine. I'd rather have a premium (if I wanted one) and another game. Another game is always more fun than different backglass and side art.

#382 10 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I have no money in this as I am not buying one, just my opinion about a game and how funny some of the comments are.

I agree. However there are those who are genuinely interested in this game, don't let the haters sway you in any direction. Glad to hear most people like it. I should be getting mine next week.

#383 10 years ago

I like how it looks personally,
it's a pretty cool effect in person
and although it at times inspires me to do disco moves
(yes I did a disco move during each jackpot at one point on my way the 1st place on the machine at SPF 2013)
it's different and fun to see.

#384 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would disagree that it's worth $1200 over the premium. $1200 is a JP or SST machine. I'd rather have a premium (if I wanted one) and another game. Another game is always more fun than different backglass and side art.

I'd buy a Premium as well if I get one.

#385 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Both were hits at the show, but people went back for more on ST than WOZ from what
I could tell and the reactions were moderately better at the least for ST than WOZ.

#386 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Both were hits at the show, but people went back for more on ST than WOZ from what
I could tell and the reactions were moderately better at the least for ST than WOZ.

People usually want to play the newest, shiniest, just out toy. So now ST, in a few months maybe Walking Dead.........and on we go.

Great games are judged over years, not weeks/months.

#387 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

People usually want to play the newest, shiniest, just out toy. So now ST, in a few months maybe Walking Dead.........and on we go.
Great games are judged over years, not weeks/months.

Played both of them at SPF, and I would take ST over WOZ hands down.

#388 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And lighted side rails and shaker.

#389 10 years ago

Is there any point where the projector turns on with all the other lights off? seems like this is how any mode for this should start like Klingon multi. I need to see it in person, but hope its integrated into the lighting better etc.

#390 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

And lighted side rails and shaker.

Oh well then. Pitch the Jurassic Park in the trash. I forgot about that.

#391 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Oh well then. Pitch the Jurassic Park in the trash. I forgot about that.

Hey you have too admit the lighted side rails are cool and unique. Is it necessary, hell no, but it is a nice feature if you like the bling and it truly separates the LE from the premium.

#392 10 years ago

yea, but when you sit back and realize you can have another game that's just as fun if not even better than the game you have the bling on, it starts to make one rationalize it in perspective. With pinball it's easy to start throwing money around without really rationalizing what else (in the hobby) you can get for that cash. For me, i'd rather have another great game, instead of blinky lights, different stickers, different art...blah blah blah.... on any machine. When you start adding up everything you pissed away on mods and extra cost because you wanted a low number of this, had to have this version or that version, compared to just buying the common version, ect....... Start adding up the games. You'll find out you probably could have had 3 BBB's in your collection instead. You can buy a lot of fun shit with $1200 in the pinball world. Actually playable fun stuff. When people come over, I think they are more impressed by having a bigger collection than having a game with lights on the side, where they say. That's neat and move on to the next game.

#393 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea, but when you sit back and realize you can have another game that's just as fun if not even better than the game you have the bling on, it starts to make one rationalize it in perspective. With pinball it's easy to start throwing money around without really rationalizing what else (in the hobby) you can get for that cash. For me, i'd rather have another great game, instead of blinky lights, different stickers, different art...blah blah blah.... on any machine. When you start adding up everything you pissed away on mods and extra cost because you wanted a low number of this, had to have this version or that version, compared to just buying the common version, ect....... Start adding up the games. You'll find out you probably could have had 3 BBB's in your collection instead. You can buy a lot of fun shit with $1200 in the pinball world. Actually playable fun stuff. When people come over, I think they are more impressed by having a bigger collection than having a game with lights on the side, where they say. That's neat and move on to the next game.

Why are you so insistent on telling others how they should spend their money?

Perhaps some people prefer a few, highly collectible games instead of a couple dozen? Maybe someone simply wants the best possible Star Trek game they can get?

You've been spouting your gospel for years, Neo... we get it already. Boy, do we get it. Give it a rest already

#394 10 years ago

I could give a shit how anyone spends their money. I'm just talking from my perspective. I fell into the trap of pissing money away on mods as well. This is just what i've come to the realization on.

Btw, most of this was just me having some fun with Tom.

#395 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I could give a shit how anyone spends their money. I'm just talking from my perspective. I fell into the trap of pissing money away on mods as well. This is just what i've come to the realization on.

Neo BS with me all the time. I am not offend and he makes good points.

#396 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But Neo, you forget that pinball is SERIOUS BIZNESS these days.

There's no room for fun and frivolity.

#397 10 years ago

that's right. I forgot most of us spend more time bickering on here, than actually playing our machines. Myself included.

Off to go play my machines. (who am I kidding, i'm going to another thread to chew someones ass out.)

#398 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

spend more time bickering on here, than actually playing our machines. Myself included.

I'm stuck at work so please continue bickering as its my only entertainment : )

#399 10 years ago

Saw the projector in action on ST- LE at IAAPA and SPF in Orlando this weekend. Wasn't that impressed with the effect overall, but the gameplay was a little better than I expected. The Leds and the cabinet were quite impressive however.

#400 10 years ago

I played the STLE today, the starfield effect is pretty good and the lighted rails look awesome. After playing Star trek at a few shows over the last few months, I'm really starting to like it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starfield-projector-stle/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.