Topic Stats

• 404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PT
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

projector.jpg
a_baa-Dickometer-for-measurement-.jpg
WOZ exit.jpg
image.jpg
cookies.jpg
Ron.jpg
image.jpg
image-3[1].jpg
projector-sleep-bb-star-light-hypnotic-star.jpg
Laser.jpg
th-2.jpeg
IMG_6225.JPG
laser mod.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_3130.JPG
images.jpg

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, my expectations regarding "starfield" amounted to this: dots; white.

If you want shiny dots sneeze on the glass.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Just wait till they realize that the enterprise engines are prone to breaking so they just snap them off for you from the factory.

That's the California model....to meet emissions.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Just wait till they realize that the enterprise engines are prone to breaking so they just snap them off for you from the factory.

LMFAO. Sure makes things easier. Hell, you can't even have fangs on your snake!! Who could have seen them breaking off (err, spent a few days testing?) or the ball getting hung up on the edge of the snakes mouth? Shit, they need to raise the price of the machines now so they can take care of issues like this…. Wait, that's not what they're using the extra money for. I guess they don't care?

But at least they have good customer service!

#204 5 years ago

It's a nice bonus. It's not like I expected it to change the game. That said, if it gets tied in nicely with lighting effects (especially all lights off), I can see it as being similar to the EL ramps on the Tron LE machine. It doesn't change the game, but it makes everyone lust after it!

#205 5 years ago

Ummmm. I honestly don't think it's that bad!

I think for what we were expecting...meh.. Not the best but hey! I think it goes to show that Stern is really "trying" to make the experience of playing pinball even more engaging and attractive to more people! I know my wife says..."pretty" that means..."BUY" right?? Any excuse for a new pin is a good one in my book! ha ha..

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

At least Stern got the first Starfield projector video out before an owner ... (flame suit on!)

I agree nice to see just post a video and let us see what it is. I hope they do this in the future so buyers know what their getting.

#207 5 years ago

Should have been posted long ago, Stern dropped the ball on the ST LE promotion. I built the Star Field up quite a bit in my head. But honestly, its exactly what i'd figured it would be

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

Should have been posted long ago, Stern dropped the ball on the ST LE promotion. I built the Star Field up quite a bit in my head. But honestly, its exactly what i'd figured it would be

They only "dropped the ball" to us impatient hardcore maniacs. The games still still be made. People still like Star Trek. They've barely started shipping yet....hey, how about that - there will be inventory for people to buy!

#209 5 years ago

This looks very cheap on a 9k euro pin.

Starfield projector.....

LOL!

#210 5 years ago

Finally had a chance to watch the video and it looks exactly like I imagined it would. People were expecting something else?

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Although it doesn't really matter that I don't like it to Pinside, I'm voting with my wallet this time and am NOT GOING TO OVERPAY for this machine. Period.
There is nothing on the last few sterns that is even remotely close to being imaginative, but instead just more like "hey, this does something and it's simple".
You can do a lot with $8K outside of pinball… and that's where my money is going now. Again, just my humble opinion, but I used to be a Stern buyer. I feel like they've been very happy to take my money, but not very eager to please me for the next purchase (or even follow up with my current pin (code)).. just hoping I'll automatically buy again.
No more.

^^^ True ^^^

I am playing a little game "in pinball"

A STLE would have cost me $13,000 New Zealand dollars. What a rip.

So.... lets see what I can import from around the world to complete my System 11 collection, to the value of $13,000 NZD.

These are games that I can not get here in New Zealand. They either don't exist here, or if they do, the owners ain't selling them!

Remember that sometimes the freight and tax is far more than the cost of the machine .. especially on old machines.

I have to add that New Zealand is at the bottom of the world. Next to Australia. Because a lot of people don't seem to know that

So far I have:

Pool Sharks ... imported from the UK. My landed cost $2100 (including everything)

Bally Game Show ... imported from the USA. On the way now. My projected landed cost $2200 (including everything)

So .... $4300 spent ... $8700 to go.

This might deserve it's own thread I think.

rd

#212 5 years ago

it looks stupid in my eyes, i worked with lasers for a few years and there are much better looking lasers
also for a few bucks, this looks like a 2 usd laser to me

i still keep my ST LE but i will find a way to put something real inside not such a crappy laser pointer/flower thing

below a pic of my little laser!!!!!!!

IMG_6225.JPG
#213 5 years ago

that doesn't look little. That thing is huge, but would look great on a Pink Floyd pin.

#214 5 years ago

Looks cool to me, I've never seen this in a pinball before, new idea and probably much better when seen in person but of course it's ripped apart by the pin geeks before anyone has played it. Starting to dislike Pinside...............SHAME

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, far from it. The LCD in WOZ is the biggest advancement in pinball since DMD's were introduced.

WOZ sucks.

#216 5 years ago

i did not say mine was little hahahaha, this is a big su.... indeed, but small lasers even in purple blue (445nm)are cheap
for 40 usd you can have something less stupid than what we have seen on the video from Stern

not to mention the big price raise they could put an RGB laser inside for this!

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that doesn't look little. That thing is huge, but would look great on a Pink Floyd pin.

this one weight is about 80 pounds!!! hahahahaha

#218 5 years ago

Well then...you and WOZ have something in common...

#219 5 years ago

Is it coincidence that my distributor sent an email request for final payment an hour before this video was released?

Honestly, the projector is about what I imagined. Looking forward to playing some STLE in the not too distant future.

#220 5 years ago

Since most stars are small Hydrogen balls (Red Dwarfs) that emit light in the red wavelength, and hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, I think that the red is beyond appropriate- it looks cool, is cool and is a great feature on a Pin.
I would bet that most of the haters here haven't bought one and would complain no matter what Stern came out with.
Haters gonna hate

#221 5 years ago

Taking pre orders now on my star projector mod for pros in no way did I buy these on clearance from jcpenny ripped them apart and rig them to project constellations on your play field don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This is not what I'm using at all

projector-sleep-bb-star-light-hypnotic-star.jpg
#222 5 years ago

Why doesn't everyone just wait till you see one and play in person before judging it even video is not a good representation of an item.

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, far from it. The LCD in WOZ is the biggest advancement in pinball since DMD's were introduced.

this has to be the dumbest thing I read on here today. LCD is not advancement of shit. That's like giving Sega props for using a X64 display saying it's revolutionary.

Pinball 2000 is the biggest advancement in pinball......PERIOD! Nothing compares to it. Only thing even remotely close to it is P3.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from zod:

Starting to dislike Pinside...............SHAME

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

#225 5 years ago

Pro mod.
th-2.jpeg

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Something like this would be better: Ebay link
...although the "stars" don't seem to be too random...
» YouTube video

I hqve one of these exact ones in my home theater. The main square of dots is stationary, hence the blue aura you can add over it. The green stars move because of 2 rotating discs, so they arent random but unless you look close they seem to be. It is very cool, and I wish the pin had something like it.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this has to be the dumbest thing I read on here today. LCD is not advancement of shit. That's like giving Sega props for using a X64 display saying it's revolutionary.
Pinball 2000 is the biggest advancement in pinball......PERIOD! Nothing compares to it. Only thing even remotely close to it is P3.

It is for pinball when it hasn't been used in one before and is integrated extremely well. There was the era of alpha numerical displays, then DMD's and now JJP has started a new one with LCD's in pinball machines. Stern will eventually start using them as well. Sounds like there's rumor of one being in their next machine after Star Trek.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from arctic:

Since most stars are small Hydrogen balls (Red Dwarfs) that emit light in the red wavelength, and hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, I think that the red is beyond appropriate- it looks cool, is cool and is a great feature on a Pin.
I would bet that most of the haters here haven't bought one and would complain no matter what Stern came out with.
Haters gonna hate

Also - Red Matter is a big plot point of the first movie!

#230 5 years ago

I get why it's red, low power cheap lasers are red, anything else you run the risk of burning your eyes. That's why they have special glasses to where when you work with lasers I guess but to call this a star projector, I see no stars, just red blobs. It may look better in person, god knows the playfield did but I don't think you can really call those red blobs stars.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It is for pinball when it hasn't been used in one before and is integrated extremely well. There was the era of alpha numerical displays, then DMD's and now JJP has started a new one with LCD's in pinball machines. Stern will eventually start using them as well. Sounds like there's rumor of one being in their next machine after Star Trek.

You said it's the most advanced thing since the DMD. It's not. P2K came out wayyyyyyyyyyyyy before WOZ, and it actually makes the display interactive. So that is alone is a color display, and way beyond the LCD in Woz. Even WOZ's display isn't even used very good. that quad split it has going on isn't very informative. could have been done much better. Most don't even know what the hell is going on, even looking at the screen.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from zod:

Looks cool to me, I've never seen this in a pinball before, new idea and probably much better when seen in person but of course it's ripped apart by the pin geeks before anyone has played it. Starting to dislike Pinside...............SHAME

It is unfortunate that people express opinions without playing a game or based only off of pictures and videos. It seems to be the norm lately on pinside. In a weird way it is good because it does not overhype a game and make it jump drastically in pricing and availability. The fact that the LE's can still be had is good for people who really like Star Trek and really enjoy the game and want one. I keep thinking it just came out and if they were to display the LE at a Star Trek convention, the trekies may just buy them all up?

#233 5 years ago

Stern does like to put clues in their photos. Looks like this one had more to it than initially met the eye. Could this have been one of the actual projectors.

Laser.jpg
#234 5 years ago

Maybe stern can put some projector slides in the goodie bag so that you can change your star field projector to display other things. Who wouldn't want dozens of mini smiling gary stern faces blissfully gliding across their game?

#235 5 years ago

Now, remind me... who was it that felt the inclusion of a LCD in JJP pinball somehow corrupted the lofty ideals of pinball visual effects?

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Well then...you and WOZ have something in common...

I just wanted to see how long it took for a snappy comeback. THANKS

#237 5 years ago

When TNT amusement makes a better marketing video then the actual company making the game some heads better roll.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

When TNT amusement makes a better marketing video then the actual company making the game some heads better roll.

But this didn't happen!

I thought that video was as annoying as crap.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Agreed!

#240 5 years ago

No reason to judge this until its in my house and it will be soon.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But this didn't happen!

Sarcasm translates poorly across the internet. Anything by TNT is annoying as crap but they do go into more depth then Stern at least.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You said it's the most advanced thing since the DMD. It's not. P2K came out wayyyyyyyyyyyyy before WOZ, and it actually makes the display interactive. So that is alone is a color display, and way beyond the LCD in Woz. Even WOZ's display isn't even used very good. that quad split it has going on isn't very informative. could have been done much better. Most don't even know what the hell is going on, even looking at the screen.

I don't know about you guys, but I only play the display, and never even look down at the playfield.

That's also why Cirqus Voltaire sucks. (Trying to force me to look at the playfield by having the display on it...pshaw. Eat it, J-Pop!)

#243 5 years ago

Looks pretty good to me. You guys made too much out of this for the last month. Anything short of a planetarium in the box would have been a disappointment. This is "just another feature" in this game, not the central toy or something that was advertised as the end all be all. In actuality it looks better than I was expecting. Can't wait to see it in my darkly lit gameroom in a few weeks. Shrug.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from LP30:

Stern does like to put clues in their photos. Looks like this one had more to it than initially met the eye. Could this have been one of the actual projectors.
Laser.jpg 76 KB

And see, I always thought that bottle of Lubriderm was the hint -- the laser never even registered with me.

Boy, I was WAY off!

#245 5 years ago

Lotion and clorox wipes. I think that's what literary nerds call "foreshadowing."

#246 5 years ago

From the video, it looks like the left flipper gets a lot of the "stars" projected on it. Gives it an interesting red glow. You can also see several of the "stars" on SR's right hand. I remember reading that they redesigned the aperture in the apron to reduce the stray dots.

#247 5 years ago

Well for the people not getting the LE, you can always buy a nice spare signed playfield:

ebay.com link » Stern Star Trek Pinball Machine Playfield Nib Signed By Designer Steve Ritchie

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Sarcasm translates poorly across the internet. Anything by TNT is annoying as crap but they do go into more depth then Stern at least.

I appreciate all the videos TNT does. There are some games that you just don't get to see videos of. Also TNT has some nice mods to games.

#249 5 years ago

I hope its in one mode only. It is distracting and bad.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Yes, I agree with you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside