projector-sleep-bb-star-light-hypnotic-star.jpg
Laser.jpg
th-2.jpeg
IMG_6225.JPG
laser mod.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_3130.JPG
images.jpg

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

They should not have even mentioned anything about a "laser playfield projector" at all. Then when people played the game and the effect came on most would think it was cool. The mistake was in getting MY expectations up.

I fixed it.

#152 10 years ago

No, you didn't. I never planned on purchasing any version of the game and had no expectations regarding it. My comment was made after assessing the responses of those posting in this thread.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

They should not have even mentioned anything about a "laser playfield projector" at all. Then when people played the game and the effect came on most would think it was cool. The mistake was in getting everyone posting here's expectations up.

This X100

#154 10 years ago

I bought the LE for the 60 color changing LEDs... the mistake from Stern here was to show such a crappy little video where there is so much more on the LE to show off.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I know I'm in the minority but I like and actually prefer the Pro lockdown mech its easy and keeps the top from moving around. On some of my pins with the standard lock down I get movement from the bar. You can't expect to get all the extras like metal apron stock on a $4500 pin IMO. Who else is releasing full featured pins at that price point? So you have to buy a metal apron for $75 bucks no big deal IMO as I like adding things to my pins.

feel exactly the same way here, i like the pro better and i also like to mods my games the way i like it.
as of right now i think the pro is the best bang for the buck.
can't wait to get mine friday!

the only big difference on the premium and LE are the trims and lights... oh and a kickback.

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think it will tip forward but not get near the playfield.

So, you're saying it will just put the tip in?

#157 10 years ago

Like most things in life, our expectations are our own. In one post we hear how Stern's PR department sucks for lack of information and videos. In the next, they raise expectations and piss everyone off for under-delivering. Not sure what they did other than show a list of features and a picture of the game designer holding a laser.

#158 10 years ago

If this were an after market mod you know there would be people lining up to install it. Stern puts it in there and gets slammed. If JJP had done it I bet a whole other crowd would be saying how awesome it is. It's a light show - whatever. Just enjoy the game.

#159 10 years ago

Well, the star field projector/disco ball effect is ridiculous looking.....not what I would have expected at all, thinking "photon" laser beams targeted/timed etc......whatever

The rest of the pin/light show looks fantastic, they should have never even mentioned the "star field laser projector"...
Stick with the lighted ramps and color changing inserts.....

#160 10 years ago

I just read this thread and it reminds me of a conversation a few years ago about the TRON LE. At first, most were unimpressed. Later, the game was recognized as one of the finest machines Stern has ever made. I honestly think that STLE has the potential to bring even more to the table than TRON did. Only time will tell, but the speech update, starfield projector, lighted ramps, lighted backbox (sides), color changing inserts, laser lights inside and outside the cabinet, etc... seems to bring as much or more to the table than TRON did. Let's get some games and then pass final judgement.

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

The best thing Stern can do starting this second and above and beyond worrying about LCD Screens etc is focus on a killer 5k Pro pinball. This LE crap is one let down after another. Focus on where they can kill the competition and stop making these designers and coding teams kill themselves over stupid add ons.

1000% right on, this is where they need to go and I think could literally crush the competition with that model, people are getting fed up with 8k/9k and rising Nib's and Stern cannot deliver at that high end right now, its obvious....

5k pro, 6k premium, that's it, crush the competition potentially....

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I just read this thread and it reminds me of a conversation a few years ago about the TRON LE. At first, most were unimpressed. Later, the game was recognized as one of the finest machines Stern has ever made. I honestly think that STLE has the potential to bring even more to the table than TRON did. Only time will tell, but the speech update, starfield projector, lighted ramps, lighted backbox (sides), color changing inserts, laser lights inside and outside the cabinet, etc... seems to bring as much or more to the table than TRON did. Let's get some games and then pass final judgement.

Well put-Thanks Jim

#163 10 years ago

Since when is a star field red?

Underwhelmed. But not enough to give up on my LE.

#164 10 years ago

Im buying an LE. Everything else looks great. Plus the game itself is a blast probably one of the funnest Stern games ive played in years.

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

The physical aspects of a game will always be there. Lyman made Tron what it is today by providing code updates and since he is not doing Star Trek time will tell.

#166 10 years ago

pfft. lame. really wasn't expecting more than that anyway.

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

The crystal ball on WOZ was a refreshing NEW idea. This not so much. Bummer.

That wasn't a new idea. They bored it from the modded Tron cabs with LCDs playing a demo of the arcade game.

I hope there is some associated mode with the star field. I hope it is not used the entire game.

#168 10 years ago

Well gosh darnit, this thing is still a mystery to me as I have not given my soul to facebook. Based on most opinions it would appear that I am not missing out on much.

#169 10 years ago

Facebook isn't bad, and you only have to post what you want to share, you can just be quiet and use it as a news reader if you want. I don't understand the aversion.

Sounds like a bunch of old people afraid of new fangled technology, like my grandmother who wouldn't use an ATM because she was afraid the machine would steal her money. Haha.

#170 10 years ago

So we're holding our hopes and dreams and making assumptions based on a 20 second low quality video that shows some red dots? That may or may not be the final product. Do we know yet?

It may do far more than that, but all we've seen is 20 seconds of red.

So sure, lets hang them out to dry without knowing the entire story. Seems logical.

Chris

#171 10 years ago

OMG.....is this an early April fool's joke? Some kind of green screen with putting SR in the picture?

#172 10 years ago

The custom speech is a big plus imo!

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The custom speech is a big plus imo!

I agree pretty cool I'm looking forward to the update!

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, far from it. The LCD in WOZ is the biggest advancement in pinball since DMD's were introduced.

Well its good to know who is easily impressed.

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

If this were an after market mod you know there would be people lining up to install it.

No. It looks cheesy in the video and I wouldn't spend even $5 for any add-on that did what I see in the vid. The disco effect is just bad IMHO. I expected targeting lasers or a real starfield, not the playfield turned into a club dance floor. Quite disappointed with this toy but the rest of the game looks good.

#176 10 years ago

YMCA.

#177 10 years ago

Just wait till they realize that the enterprise engines are prone to breaking so they just snap them off for you from the factory.

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Facebook isn't bad, and you only have to post what you want to share, you can just be quiet and use it as a news reader if you want. I don't understand the aversion.
Sounds like a bunch of old people afraid of new fangled technology, like my grandmother who wouldn't use an ATM because she was afraid the machine would steal her money. Haha.

If you're not paying for the service, you are not the customer. Facebook's customers are advertisers; you and every detail of your life you choose to share are the product being sold to them. I do not need the services Facebook provides, so I choose not to be sold. There is no "fear" and comparisons to ATMs are silly, as they are completely different things.

You can use whatever "services" you choose, but your criticism of others' choices is both ignorant and unwarranted.

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I expected targeting lasers or a real starfield

A "real starfield"? So you wanted Stern to actually shrink a portion of the galaxy so they could fit it into STLE?

Sounds like another perfect example of someone having completely unrealistic expectations.

#180 10 years ago

there isn't enough galaxy to go around for everyone. then there would be too much demand for Galaxy and the price would spin out of control like this hobby.

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

A "real starfield"? So you wanted Stern to actually shrink a portion of the galaxy so they could fit it into STLE?
Sounds like another perfect example of someone having completely unrealistic expectations.

No, my expectations regarding "starfield" amounted to this: dots; white. They failed on one of those two expectations

Even with the red, if they could just do something with the rotation so that it doesn't look like the corner dance floor at the local bar...

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It is difficult to appreciate something if your mind was already made up. What did you think it would do?

My statement was that I knew it would be underwhelming (on a mass appeal perspective), not that I was personally underwhelmed. It's basically what I envisioned, my issue is I actually dislike it - that part I didn't expect. I hope it looks better in person. (So far this machine in all versions I've seen has looked better in person so I'm quite hopeful there)

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, my expectations regarding "starfield" amounted to this: dots; white. They failed on one of those two expectations

Yeah, actually I was expecting white dots myself. Will have to see how the red looks in person. Either way, this particular "feature" was never a real selling point of the pin to me anyway.

#184 10 years ago

I just hope that if the game is LAME, I will be able to use all the hard life excuses to sell at a inflated price !

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No one's disconnecting shit...look - this thing isn't mindblowing, but it'll be a fun light show. It's like saying you're gonna disconnect the ramp lights on TRON LE or take out the color GI zones on AC/DC Prem/LE. These things don't DO anything...they're not high tech...but they're cool.
(For the record I have not purchased STLE...just trying to be objective)

This post actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks rarehero for being all sensible and stuff

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If you're not paying for the service, you are not the customer. Facebook's customers are advertisers; you and every detail of your life you choose to share are the product being sold to them. I do not need the services Facebook provides, so I choose not to be sold. There is no "fear" and comparisons to ATMs are silly, as they are completely different things.
You can use whatever "services" you choose, but your criticism of others' choices is both ignorant and unwarranted.

The point was, you don't HAVE to share anything. If people are going to comment 'oh I cant see it, I'm not on FB' then the first response will always be 'make an account and then you can'. You don't need to share squat - no friends, no pics, fake name, fake location, etc... Let Facebook sell fake metadata to their advertisers, and you get to watch stern videos!

#187 10 years ago

Rarehero said:

No one's disconnecting shit...look - this thing isn't mindblowing, but it'll be a fun light show. It's like saying you're gonna disconnect the ramp lights on TRON LE or take out the color GI zones on AC/DC Prem/LE. These things don't DO anything...they're not high tech...but they're cool.
(For the record I have not purchased STLE...just trying to be objective)

That's where I disagree, I'll hold off until I see it in person, but based solely on the single terrible quality and length video, I would probably disconnect it. It looks super cheesey and quite 'blah' to me.

Hope I'm wrong!

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, actually I was expecting white dots myself. Will have to see how the red looks in person. Either way, this particular "feature" was never a real selling point of the pin to me anyway.

Yeah, same here... we're in for an LE and this vid is basically 'meh' at this point... at worst case, it can be shut off. The custom speech announcement is much bigger IMHO

#189 10 years ago

4 pages and nobody has put sexy gorgeous disco woman in a post yet - i am bummed as i am at work and thought for sure as i read all these posts i would start seeing some sexy girls.

thanks ed

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

Im buying an LE. Everything else looks great. Plus the game itself is a blast probably one of the funnest Stern games ive played in years.

Exactly. I haven't seen the new laser video but it sounds pretty lame.
Still, the fun of a game is in the lights, sounds, rules, and flow.
I expect once people play a few games, STLE will gain some love.
I can't wait to play it but am still on the fence for buying one.

#191 10 years ago

I'm offering my new Laser Mod for the Star Trek LE. $47k. (shipped) (PayPal ok)

laser mod.jpglaser mod.jpg
#192 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The point was, you don't HAVE to share anything. If people are going to comment 'oh I cant see it, I'm not on FB' then the first response will always be 'make an account and then you can'. You don't need to share squat - no friends, no pics, fake name, fake location, etc... Let Facebook sell fake metadata to their advertisers, and you get to watch stern videos!

Yep, I agree, I did the same thing. I do with Stern and other companies didn't rely so much on sites like Facebook... how hard is it to post this news on their own page? sternpinball.com/whatsnew just go get some blogging software and drop it in. Guess they don't want to pay a webmaster.

#193 10 years ago

Something like this would be better: ebay.com link: Laser Stars Projector LASER TWILIGHT Light Show Night Effect Club Blue Galexy

...although the "stars" don't seem to be too random...

#194 10 years ago

Is this light on the PF a particle or a wave?

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

thinking "photon" laser beams targeted/timed etc.

Reasonable to think that way. It's an obvious and reasonable thing to do and I'm assuming that's why the asteroids are there. Why else would you put two reflective rocks floating on the playfield?

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

you can just be quiet and use it as a news reader if you want. I don't understand the aversion.

No, you can't. Much like Google, Facebook's hooks are so ubiquitous that they're able to track your web usage internet wide. It's accurate enough that Facebook data can be mined to model human behavior. To wit, Facebook can predict when a couple is about to divorce based on changes in net behavior. Facebook wants users to believe their privacy is protected, yet anyone using the API can bypass that security. Even if you simply use it as a news reader, that contact can be used to correlate your other activities. Might not matter to you, but consider how many kids inadvertently went on the record before they understand what that meant only to have it read by prospective employers later. I've got nothing to hide, but I see zero point in giving those guys personal information to sell.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yep, I agree, I did the same thing. I do with Stern and other companies didn't rely so much on sites like Facebook... how hard is it to post this news on their own page? sternpinball.com/whatsnew just go get some blogging software and drop it in. Guess they don't want to pay a webmaster.

This is something plaguing every industry these days... I don't know who decided twitter and FB were the best places for company news. I HATE checking those sites for the latest updates and seeing 10 month old crap on the company web page. The site should be #1 imo, but perhaps times they are a changing....

#197 10 years ago

Although it doesn't really matter that I don't like it to Pinside, I'm voting with my wallet this time and am NOT GOING TO OVERPAY for this machine. Period.

There is nothing on the last few sterns that is even remotely close to being imaginative, but instead just more like "hey, this does something and it's simple". Simple coils that rock things back and forth, shake something, whatever. It's like we're toddlers and they're dangling keys in front of us and all we want is more! (haha).

You can do a lot with $8K outside of pinball… and that's where my money is going now. Again, just my humble opinion, but I used to be a Stern buyer. I feel like they've been very happy to take my money (and more and more of it), but not very eager to please me for the next purchase (or even follow up with my current pin (code)).. just hoping I'll automatically buy again.

No more.

#198 10 years ago

I'm interested in what the ship is gonna do now...

Hope it doesn't crash and burn... or does... or...

#199 10 years ago

What? Not one person likes it?

I am definitely not the one either….

#200 10 years ago

At least Stern got the first Starfield projector video out before an owner ... (flame suit on!)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/starfield-projector-stle/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.