(Topic ID: 193059)

#Star Wars - which version to buy?

By dgarrett

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My thought is comment on which version, but focus on features (hyper ramp), art (which cabinet is fav, which BG?), price point (yes, I'd pay up). Intending this to be aimed at those committed to buy, but any player or collector, intended buyer or not, is welcome to share your thoughts (as if I could control invasive posts )

#star-wars-stern-le Star Wars (Pro)

Random thought: this SW thread is the 3rd of what will be how many more on Stern SW - 30, 40, 50? Ok, tangent done.

For me, I'm buying LE, I think, well maybe it ain't worth 3 grand more, but maybe it is... therefore, to delay the finality of a decision, let's start a pinside thread. A few whiskey's and catching up on C2C with Nate - welcome back - lets post.

So...I watched the DeadFlip pro 2 hour twitchtv stream. Like the game, have $, have many game choices now, but lets commit to getting Stern SW, so .... which version to choose?

I like the pics/concept of the hyper rail ala high speed SRS design - that's a big pull toward non-pro.
    I like the LE lit side rails and art of the right side with the fighters (that's my iconic memory of the movies) and you get all 3 backglasses (i would put in the pro version with the entire cast v. the prem or LE versions).
    $ for LE or less is in my budget, but I don't want to throw money at LE unless I really want to.

I'm lead towards LE JJP, Spooky or Stern features and art. I have bought the limited Spooky RZ, Stern LOtr, GoT and ST, and JJP Smaug TH. Yet I've skipped LE on Tron (but added Eli ramp wire mod, etc. and put in $1000 mods and close to LE feel), Aero (premium - like the upper PF = ease of Elevator and 2x features, but didn't see value for LE). I haven't been attracted to LE on TWD, ACDC, Met (granted I have many friends, so I have delayed/decided not to have another Stern in the collection...yet).

Not wanting a bash or love Stern or Star Wars (how well it was executed) thread, more of a "when I buy, how do I think about a pro, prem, LE decision".

Re: pricing: seems back to Aerosmith pricing +$200 has returned. (Batman no-pro, prem, LE, Super LE indeed was a one-timer). Not interested in posts re: $9k or $10k or $15k is "outrageous" or too much.

Hopefully most posts will be actual buyers, or those seriously willing and able to consider a SW.

#5 6 years ago

One more decision process thought. I am trending towards most future purchases being the Premium, and cut to Pro if the differences don't trigger my value point +$1500. To use Stern's market's analogy...pro=operators, prem=home, LE= collectors. I've tended to lean LE on the past few purchases, but AS Prem was my only purchase over the past 8 months - and only b/c of the different game play offered in upper PF.

Lets guess SW street prices will be AS + 400. I presume a SW pro $5800, Prem add $1800 (-ish) , LE add $1500. First thought, those extra $ are even bigger gaps with this popular theme.

Prem adds hyperramp (ala high speed), exploding DStar, a minus for me is BG being dark side characters, M falcon toy = to me that's not compelling for $1800

Then the LE adds $1500 for side rails w/effects, all 3 BG (I would have the pro favorite), color coat armor? Is 800 run enough to be "rare" and hold its value better? (My GoT LE went down $1000), STLE holding near original price 12/2013.

The hyper ramp, death star, falcon, and art package (which I'd rather have a mix, but just BG? I favor the Pro.) Might be swayed by a huge software difference I just gotta have - but highly unlikely software differs between versions.

So I'm going to completely reverse both LE, no wait...Premium, um....well, not worth it, so Pro at best price I can get. Maybe in the 5999 and under range.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm in on an LE. It's a dream theme, and I'm hoping there will be a cool hyperspace effect in the backbox, either directly from Stern or as an aftermarket. And I can tell you after playing the pro, I think it will be worth the extra $.

Of course, I'm writing my "I'm gonna drop to a premium, no wait, a pro" when Beelzeboob drops this just as I hit send.

But I share that thought - If the LE gets really cool special effects, video coolness, I could see it being worth it.

So, buy the LE before its gone - it may add coolness, and you won't be able to get an LE. You can always get a pro later if the LE cool doesn't pan out.

I can't decide, especially on my fav theme, I'm extra confused on which flavor. Of course if I wait too long, the decision will be made for me. My distributor will sell his 1-2 LE's elsewhere, I'm a loyal customer, and he's given me a grace period to ponder. I'll get that call soon though - "hey, I've got takers, are you LE or pro?".

Thanks for your thoughts.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I am in on an LE. Keep your LE order going as long as the Hyper Loop looks ok. If it does not then play one and then get a Pro if you like it. Stern pros see the best resale value out there now. Folks love HOU ones.
    If you had to bet on any theme for an LE what would it be? Star Wars?! No? Hang in!

Right. And of course, you can't get an LE later, so keep it reserved then decide...

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And by the way...I know you're an investor, but try not to look at these games as an investment. I don't care about the value of my GOT LE...whenever I see it, I feel like this:

Exactly. Good point.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dan, I really think on a timeless theme as this, you should get the LE. The pro was simply awesome when I played it at Pintastic. As a GOT LE owner, I'm still glad I got an LE on that title, even though it's depreciated a bit. It's still an incredible game and I'm not selling anytime soon, if ever. This is the same team, and I can tell you as a Star Wars fan that when you play this game in a home environment, it will be one of the most immersive pinball experiences you'll ever have. The extra money on this really isn't much of a gamble IMO. Good luck with your decision...but definitely skip the pro; the hyperdrive ball loop will be light years more fun than the crappy plastic ramps.

I forgot about the plastic ramps. So no pro. Gotta go with LE, in part because I like the side rails over the Premium rails, I get all 3 translites (and like the pro best) and thats that. Is the LE worth the diff of Premium? that's my last question.... and I agree with you, if you are that point, just do the extra $1500 and get the LE, you won't lose it on resale - and even that doesn't matter, b/c its for fun, not to make a return (couldn't agree more with you there).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dgarrett.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-which-version-to-buy?tu=dgarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.