IMG_7235 (resized).JPG
image-1 (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg
Star Wars 196 (resized).jpg
Star Wars 198 (resized).jpg
basil-gogos-sand-people.png
055b744ebcf80e5902229882778a6edc5df5896f.jpeg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I'm wanting either a data east or trilogy and hung up on which is the better machine for a Star Wars fan? Not just gameplay but art, music, modes, video modes, toys etc..... Which captured the theme the best.

Thanks for advice!

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I'm wanting either a data east or trilogy and hung up on which is the better machine for a Star Wars fan? Not just gameplay but art, music, modes, video modes, toys etc..... Which captured the theme the best.
Thanks for advice!

I'd wait... The Force Is Strong with another Star Wars Pin on the horizon.

#3 7 years ago

The Data East game is the better choice but unfortunately is way overpriced these days. If you can get one for around 2k that's somewhat ok bang for your buck. At 3k I think you'd be better off spending that cash on another game or just waiting for the rumored Stern release.

#4 7 years ago

They all suck. Although DESW is our #1 seller. If I had to choose one now it would be SWEP1. I would just wait for Sterns next year.

#5 7 years ago

With a license agreement from Disney, and the current pricing on Batman 66', I can only imagine a Stern Star Wars priced at $15K+ whenever it materializes.

Don't get me wrong it may be the most amazing thing to happen to pinball ever. Only time will tell.

Everyone bashes Star Wars Data East but with Chad's code improvements and a pinsound board to replace the music with original soundtrack the game is significantly better.

At the end of the day purchasing a pin is a personal choice. A person buys what they want. Other people's opinions shouldn't sway you too much as you don't get a qualifier with their comments.

Are they as good of a player as you?
Are they a better player?
What other games do they have?
When was the last time they played the games you are interested in?
What was the condition of the pin they played, is that impacting their opinion on?

Go find the games you are interested in and play them.

Choose your own adventure!

#6 7 years ago

With the new code and color dmd Data East SW is fun. For between 3 and 4 k find a better theme and flipper. If you are not a fan of the SW theme then yes overpriced.

#7 7 years ago

DE Star Wars has a different feel to it than other games, just like the other DMD Data East games do as well, in my opinion. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

It's a fun game but as usual back then when people used good really famous iconic classic movie themes the game itself falls short to other games with weaker licenses or original themes ironically. Happened all the time with video games in the NES/SNES era, I know all of the movie console-video games sucked particularly bad (let alone not living up to the hype), and many agree. Never seemed to get it quite right, perhaps it's just because the bar is set so high from the start though. Lots of opportunity for disappointment.

Anyways, enough rambling: It's not so bad but I feel like it could have been better, but I mean, compared to some games, it's pretty fun. I haven't played it that much though or really learned the ruleset of the game.

I'm not a major dedicated fan to the franchise but if I was I feel as if I could overcome my little gripes with it and definitely enjoy it/own it for that reason and others. It just feels a bit different compared to DMD games at the time produced by other companies, yet still even feels different than a Data East alphanumeric game. Not sure what it is, and not even saying it's a bad thing, but definitely make sure you give it a whirl quite a few times on location somewhere to make sure you're really set on it.

I've never played (or even seen, AFAIK) the other one.

#9 7 years ago

Geez, I'm surprised by the lack of love for the Star Wars machines.

I don't think we will see a new machine from Stern until either the new trilogy is complete or the saga is closed. Just my opinion though, I'm thinking we won't see this until 2018/20 at earliest.

Just wondering which is better for the Star Wars fan/pinhead in the meantime.

#10 7 years ago

I always liked the Data East one myself as you could probably tell by my profile picture. My son LOVES SW Episode One though, it is on our dream list. Someday...

#11 7 years ago

DE Star Wars hands down. Get the code update or change game settings to max difficulty, either one makes a big difference. I got mine for less than 3k.I waited for 3 years because I passed up one that was in Marquette in mid winter( 14 hours one way for me).

#12 7 years ago

DE star wars.

Why? because it's the only one that's good. Simple.

#13 7 years ago

When people come over to play DESW is the machine they want to be on, especially kids. So it might depend on who your audience is! (In terms of whether any Star Wars is good...)

#14 7 years ago

Never played Episode 1 so I can't say but if Jar Jar is anywhere near that machine - it is a NO GO for me.

I have DESW and it is classic Star Wars with all the classic characters represented. Game play with the new code is good. Sounds with the Pinsound board and movie soundtrack added is nothing short of AWESOME.

Pinheads guests are easily bored with it and move on to the more difficult titles. Non-pinhead guests love it and play it over and over.

#15 7 years ago

Have to agree DE Star wars.
I too would wait to see what the License brings to a future machine... but DE SW is something I'd own if I found a good deal and had the room.
Sadly; I feel I'm going to be priced out of any future Stern offerings even at Pro price levels.

#16 7 years ago

I played episode 1 once, not a good game at all. DESW is good if you shoot for more than the ramp. The code update helps that problem.

#17 7 years ago

They both suck but Triology sucks and blows at the same time.

#18 7 years ago

Anyone! It's STAR f***ing WARS, man, you just can't go wrong! I'd own them all if I could!

055b744ebcf80e5902229882778a6edc5df5896f.jpeg055b744ebcf80e5902229882778a6edc5df5896f.jpeg

basil-gogos-sand-people.pngbasil-gogos-sand-people.png

#19 7 years ago

I have had all three at one time. The best one i liked the most is the triology, because it relates to the three movies that started it all

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Anyone! It's STAR f***ing WARS, man, you just can't go wrong! I'd own them all if I could!

I see you own the trilogy, how is the music and sound compared to the data east? Does it have the essential tunes?

#21 7 years ago

The music is awesome! Could use a speaker upgrade from the original ones, but overall im very pleased with it

#22 7 years ago

Oh yeah - I forgot about the Sega version.
I think the DE SW is the one I'm most familiar with.

#23 7 years ago

I love my desw. Check out my video recently posted in the desw owners thread showing color DMD and pin sound original soundtrack. I love it. Chads new code is an absolute must. Don't even play a single ball on the old code and you'll never understand why people hate on it!!

#24 7 years ago

Sega one sucks balls....badly. Almost as bad as X-files.

#25 7 years ago

With such an epic theme, they could be better...notice none of them made top pins. If I had to pick one, the Data East as it's classic Star Wars...what else would you want? Let's see what Stern can do!

#26 7 years ago

Star Wars by Data East is the one to purchase.

Mine is being restored in a black cabinet.....

Star Wars 198 (resized).jpgStar Wars 198 (resized).jpg

Star Wars 196 (resized).jpgStar Wars 196 (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

The music is awesome! Could use a speaker upgrade from the original ones, but overall im very pleased with it

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

But what are the chances of it being based on the original movies? Presumably the $30K LE will have original trilogy artwork, but gameplay...?

#29 7 years ago

I have all 4, SWDE is the most fun by far.

#30 7 years ago

I watched the video with color dmd and that is nice.

Where do you get the correct sound file for the pinsound card? Don't really know how to edit sound files, hoping this is a shared download?

#31 7 years ago

I have owned all three as well. For me, I like DESW, especially considering part of pinball for me is nostalgia and I have a particular set of nostalgia for this game as a kid, playing it at truck stops when I'd ride around with my dad as a kid.

I eventually sold my DESW and found and bought a HUO one recently, which I'm putting the final touches on now.

I often see people saying not to buy DESW b/c of the price inflation. Honestly, get whatever you want and don't get hung up on the price stuff. I'll end up with about as much money in mods spent as I paid for my first DESW after you factor in Pinsound, ColorDMD, Lit Flipper bats, leg light ups, quality LEDs, LEDOCD Boards, plastic protectors, black sparkly custom powder coating on lollipop rails, etc.

That said, DESW isn't a deep game by any means but I still count it as fun, personally.

Star Wars trilogy gets second place to me with EP1 a distant third.

PSW757 - Pinsound has a community forum where you can download audio bundles and load into the Pinsound board.

I hope the new Stern Star Wars is awesome and I might end up getting one but call me crazy: I don't know if I want to order a sight-unseen mega-super-uber-googly-moogly-ultra-limited-collector's edition pinball machine for more than I spent on my Mercedes convertible...

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I watched the video with color dmd and that is nice.
Where do you get the correct sound file for the pinsound card? Don't really know how to edit sound files, hoping this is a shared download?

I can help with the pinsound. Some of the soundtracks are available on the pinside website.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Sega one sucks balls....badly. Almost as bad as X-files.

SWT and X-Files are way much better pins than all of the list below:

Nudgy
New Star's Phoenix
Pinball Champ
Zankor
Indianapolis 500
Soccer Kings
Alien Poker
Joker Poker
Magic Castle
Baby Pac-Man
Devil Riders
Locomotion
Spooky
Strike
Farfalla
Robot
Time Machine
Atlantis
Shadow, The
Swords of Fury
Super Soccer
The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard
Revenge From Mars
Miss World
Batman Forever

#34 7 years ago

Yeah...keep smoking that space weed.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Nudgy
New Star's Phoenix
Pinball Champ
Zankor
Indianapolis 500
Soccer Kings
Alien Poker
Joker Poker
Magic Castle
Baby Pac-Man
Devil Riders
Locomotion
Spooky
Strike
Farfalla
Robot
Time Machine
Atlantis
Shadow, The
Swords of Fury
Super Soccer
Revenge From Mars
Miss World
Batman Forever

I just looked at your collection and half of it doesn't suck. I've owned the good half of your collection. But it goes from one extreme to the other. On one end you own the greatest game ever made (TZ) and on the other end you own the worst game ever made (Xfiles). SWT is down there as well. If you want a trifecta of fecal, get a SF2 in there.

#36 7 years ago

All of the SW pins are awful for different reasons. If you're a SW diehard and MUST have one just because of the theme, I think Trilogy sucks the least.

Just cross your fingers for a new SW pin in the future would be my advice.

#37 7 years ago

DE SW with the new code is really awesome. If it was out when I had mine, I would have never sold it. It's no longer a one shot game.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Sixth time's the charm

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Nudgy
New Star's Phoenix
Pinball Champ
Zankor
Indianapolis 500
Soccer Kings
Alien Poker
Joker Poker
Magic Castle
Baby Pac-Man
Devil Riders
Locomotion
Spooky
Strike
Farfalla
Robot
Time Machine
Atlantis
Shadow, The
Swords of Fury
Super Soccer
Revenge From Mars
Miss World
Batman Forever

Better than BF? That's funny $hit.

I happen to like X-Files; SWT is definitely bottom of the barrel in Sega's lineup of pins.

#40 7 years ago

I like how he omitted all my new sterns out of the list.

You forgot to include

Ghostbusters
AC/DC
Transformers
Lord of the rings

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

DE SW with the new code is really awesome. If it was out when I had mine, I would have never sold it. It's no longer a one shot game.

Sure it is....owned it before and after code update.

#42 7 years ago

DE SW is the one I would pick of the 3, although I have never played the trilogy one. I'm looking forward to seeing what Stern does with the franchise, but not the pricing. This would be the only Pro in the coming releases I would be interested in, but at over $5k, I won't be buying NIB. Sorry Stern. Stop being greedy and concentrate more on quality and you may win a lot of people back on NIB games.

#43 7 years ago

Shoot the Death Star

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I like how he omitted all my new sterns out of the list.
You forgot to include
Ghostbusters
AC/DC
Transformers
Lord of the rings

These games are ok... The rest suck big balls, a whole bunch of fecal.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

These games are ok... The rest suck big balls, a whole bunch of fecal.

I think you will be hard pressed to win that argument with anyone. Most of those games you and most people here have never seen or played, so you can't really say either way. I guarantee you have not seen or played 40% of my collection.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think you will be hard pressed to win that argument with anyone. Most of those games you and most people here have never seen or played, so you can't really say either way. I guarantee you have not seen or played 40% of my collection.

hehe.... zaccaria pinballs? thanks, but no, thanks.

#47 7 years ago

how can you say a game is better or worse than another game if you have never seen or play said game? Least all the games I praise or critique, I have first hand knowledge of, hence why the opinion exists.

#48 7 years ago

I am looking for CQ DE Star Wars on the west coast. I have a beater now and I am either going to restore it or upgrade.

I love how simple it is and the theme is awesome for me. Takes me back to being 10 years old again!

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how can you say a game is better or worse than another game if you have never seen or play said game? Least all the games I praise or critique, I have first hand knowledge of, hence why the opinion exists.

Oh, so now you know me better tham my mom...., you know the games I've played, the food I ate, the places I've been.....

On the other hand, I see that you're a poor little sad hater that came into this thread just to bitch out about a pinball machine that you don't like...

Well, guess what? I don't give a (Contenr Edited) and all your pinball "experience"...

#50 7 years ago

Here's to anyone that wants to know about zaccaria pinball:

ttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.magicpixel.Zaccaria

btw, I came from a italian-american family so I played most of these games as a kid when I spent my school vacations in Europe.... all I can say is that any SEGA machine kicks zaccaria asses...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Boards
PinSound

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-which-one-and-why/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.