• SW has the best ruleset 14 votes
    10%
  • Alien has the best ruleset 12 votes
    9%
  • Finally SW is the best game 21 votes
    15%
  • Finally Alien is the best game 18 votes
    13%

(Multiple choice - 141 votes by 42 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Thrubee (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Hi,
I would like to get your opinion about SW premium/LE vs Alien LE.
I really like both themes so I can’t decide on this. Only put some games on Star Wars but none for Alien, so I don’t really know which one could have the best sound package, the most immersive atmosphere.
What is also the best LCD integration?
Another criterion very important for me is ruleset. What is the best code, depth, original?
And finally which one gets the best layout, flow and original?
Thanks

#2 9 months ago

This is such a massive contrast on every level. The immersion of Alien is unmatched when it is working right. Note.. ...WHEN...it is working right.

Immersion, music score, sounds, fun factor: Alien dominates

Flow, ease of shots, family friendly theme, and RELIABILITY: Star Wars dominates.

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

This is such a massive contrast on every level. The immersion of Alien is unmatched when it is working right. Note.. ...WHEN...it is working right.
Immersion, music score, sounds, fun factor: Alien dominates
Flow, ease of shots, family friendly theme, and RELIABILITY: Star Wars dominates.

Rules?

#4 9 months ago

In my opinion alien is the better game with great sounds, animations, and cool toys but get star wars alien will probably be broke half the time.

#5 9 months ago

Both are incredible games. Great rules, great integration, etc. I think alien might have a slight edge on theme, Star Wars maybe a bit more solid rules. I own a Star Wars and would own an Alien if I could afford one.

Big problem with Alien is that the company isn't around anymore, and it has a lot of unique hardware. If it has issues you're taking a risk. If you can find a working one though and can take that risk, grab it! There aren't many chances to have one

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

In my opinion alien is the better game with great sounds, animations, and cool toys but get star wars alien will probably be broke half the time.

You mean this game can’t currently and in the time work perfectly with the same reliability than another game?

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

You mean this game can’t currently and in the time work perfectly with the same reliability than another game?

Yes company ain't around anymore to support the game and i have played two aliens that worked fine but i have played others that kept resetting some the alien tongue did not work or even have the part.

#8 9 months ago

For me Alien feels very...amateurish. It's got a lot of things going for it but overall it's really not that fun of a play. Of course I don't one and haven't had the chance of tinkering around with it to get it to play just right.

#9 9 months ago

Dude, I'd trust a politician to be more reliable then Alien.

No seriously. Alien is a ticking bomb waiting to go off if you're not a tinkerer. It WILL go down sooner or later, and the design is already weak/on unsteady ground, so unless you are an engineer or someone that can clearly understand the components they used and can put it back together, and your Alien shits the bed.. ...you will have a very expensive paperweight.

#10 9 months ago

So I have both alien is cool. With lights off it’s a trip. The shots are cool and different from most pins and really not a flow game. I got mine from Australia. Shipping is a pain. I did have some damage. But it was insured.wayne does a great job staying in contact and answers every time with help if you buy from him. there is a good community keeping the game running so problems can be fixed. I would say also it’s a pretty original in a lot of ways. From a build standpoint.
Star Wars le it’s probably my fav. The immersivness and speed. The shots u will have played b4 but that’s not a bad thing. Both are way different and both are way cool. Less risk with Star Wars.
Probably greater value in time with alien.
Good luck.

#11 9 months ago

Unless you have money to burn and insider connections, get Star Wars. I find Alien stunningly difficult to work on.
Thrubee (resized).jpg

(that picture is an inside joke to anyone that has pulled an Alien apart because aliens don't have acid for blood, they have upside down playfield posts)

#12 9 months ago
Quoted from DaveH:

(that picture is an inside joke to anyone that has pulled an Alien apart because aliens don't have acid for blood, they have upside down playfield posts)

I tried to take the left ramp off to clean it once....

once.

#13 9 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

No seriously. Alien is a ticking bomb waiting to go off if you're not a tinkerer. It WILL go down sooner or later, and the design is already weak/on unsteady ground, so unless you are an engineer or someone that can clearly understand the components they used and can put it back together, and your Alien shits the bed.. ...you will have a very expensive paperweight.

I would have never thought that this game could be less reliable than your president
There is no chance this game plays perfectly out of the box...but if only you knew how many issues I have had with my DILE..the new owner got recently smartphone light strip down. But there is still a support. I know.
Currently is there known issue that could not be fixed?

#14 9 months ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

So I have both alien is cool. With lights off it’s a trip. The shots are cool and different from most pins and really not a flow game. I got mine from Australia. Shipping is a pain. I did have some damage. But it was insured.wayne does a great job staying in contact and answers every time with help if you buy from him. there is a good community keeping the game running so problems can be fixed. I would say also it’s a pretty original in a lot of ways. From a build standpoint.
Star Wars le it’s probably my fav. The immersivness and speed. The shots u will have played b4 but that’s not a bad thing. Both are way different and both are way cool. Less risk with Star Wars.
Probably greater value in time with alien.
Good luck.

My biggest complain with SW is the layout that is not very original. However I like the flow, rules are deep but I can’t say more as I don’t have played it enough time.
Maybe the better is to own them both as they are very different
I think I would start with the one that is the more difficult to find but still can be

#15 9 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

Your last line is a bit of a stretch. The technical parts are just about all readily available online. The I/O boards will be eventually. Too many resourceful hobbyists own Alien to let it become a paperweight.

#16 9 months ago

Alien feels like you are playing a refrigerator. Clunky oversized cabinet feel. Unreliable! I played at the Texas Pinball event for hours. The theme is great just poorly executed by heighway Pinball. If only any of the other pin companies could pick this title up it would be a thousand percent better!!

Star Wars is standard size, fast as hell, fun extremely challenging and reliable.

Get the Star Wars!!

#17 9 months ago

I ask again. Are there issues that could not be fixed currently, I mean for good?

#18 9 months ago

I ask again. Are there issues that could not be fixed currently, I mean for good?

I have a later game and so far everything is working. As I understand it, people have gotten older games to work 100% as well.

As to, "...for good", how can anyone know for sure?

The biggest threat to long term operation are the the I/O boards, Alien head boards and switch sensor boards, which are custom. Rumor has it the I/O boards will be reproduced. There are a few NOS I/O boards available now by a pinsider, Pinbackpacker. Alien head boards are being worked on by Knockerlover. Supposedly the sensor boards could be reproduced but I'm not aware of anyone working on it.

IMO, manufacturer support and cost aside, Alien is much better than Star Wars. But, I like games that are packed with stuff, have interesting shots, a cohesive rule set and excellent theme integration. Star Wars is a fun but somewhat bare and basic fan layout game.

#19 9 months ago

I agree. Alien layout is more original than SW.
However It seems to be a tie match regarding sound package, LCD integration and rules.
I didn’t have mentioned anything about art package but I give advantage to the nice Alien populated playfield
I think I gonna with Alien. Hope to find help here if needed.
Does the production date is noticed on the box?

#20 9 months ago

If you are up for a game that has no company tech support, but is easily one of the best pins out there get the Alien. If you are not up for repairs, hunting down parts, or things that could go wrong.. just stick with Star Wars. Hope this helps.

#21 9 months ago

Oh! and I can't play Alien by myself at night with no one else at home.. if you are easily scared by monsters and aliens like I am and could piss in your pants.. stick with Star Wars. Only thing scary about Star Wars is that right drain.. which I still need to adjust!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 218.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 10.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 50.00
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
15,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nidderau, HE
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside