• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2B232B82-3C15-46BC-93F4-276B7F72A5F7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190125_1602314 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

The game plays fine but the DMD only ever shows "Sega Pinball - Star Wars Trilogy Display Ver A4.00" then goes black, then says the same thing.

IMG_20190125_1602314 (resized).jpgIMG_20190125_1602314 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Sounds like the display controller is continuously rebooting due to low 5VDC. Try re seating the 3 pin connector CN2 on the Display controller board. If you have a meter, see what voltage you have between pins 1 and 3. Meter on VDC.

Also reseat P1 on the back of the DMD. And check the connector pins 5 to 6, and then 5 to 7, to see the Voltage...should be 5VDC and 12VDC.

#3 5 years ago

Do you have any mods tapping into that 5V? I have seen that do it on a few DE/SEGA games.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Sounds like the display controller is continuously rebooting due to low 5VDC. Try re seating the 3 pin connector CN2 on the Display controller board. If you have a meter, see what voltage you have between pins 1 and 3. Meter on VDC.
Also reseat P1 on the back of the DMD. And check the connector pins 5 to 6, and then 5 to 7, to see the Voltage...should be 5VDC and 12VDC.

Just checked and I'm getting 5.06VDC at CN2. At P1 I get 4.93VDC from pins 5 to 6 and 12.01VDC from pins 5 to 7.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Do you have any mods tapping into that 5V? I have seen that do it on a few DE/SEGA games.

Aside from a PinSound kit the game is bone stock.

#6 5 years ago

To eliminate a few things I tried another DMD and got the same results. I also tried a known good working DMD controller board. No difference their either.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from 1iblind:

To eliminate a few things I tried another DMD and got the same results. I also tried a known good working DMD controller board. No difference their either.

Then it almost has to be the supply voltage to the controller board dipping...unless you have a bad cable that you're reusing....do you by chance have different ribbon cables to try?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Then it almost has to be the supply voltage to the controller board dipping...unless you have a bad cable that you're reusing....do you by chance have different ribbon cables to try?

No difference with different ribbon cables. I left my meter on CN2 and the voltage never dropped below 5.06VDC. How would I go about checking to see if the voltage is dipping or making sure the voltage doesn't dip?

#9 5 years ago

Reading a little further and from your picture, it seems that the DMD displays the version info as part of the Display ROM, which means it may not be getting the signals from the MPU. You might read the wiki http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Failed_74HCT273_buffer_IC_on_the_MPU_board and do the tests of the IC.

Did you replace the ribbon cable from the MPU, or just the one from the Display controller?

#10 5 years ago

This is a common problem with the Sega displays. It is most likely what others are saying and is caused by a drop in the 5v power supply. Check the capacitors to see if any are leaking or shiny around them on the power supply board. I recently had to replace some on my Sega and it resolved the issue. Also check for any burnt connectors.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Reading a little further and from your picture, it seems that the DMD displays the version info as part of the Display ROM, which means it may not be getting the signals from the MPU. You might read the wiki http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Failed_74HCT273_buffer_IC_on_the_MPU_board and do the tests of the IC.

I did the DMM test on U201 and everything checked out.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

This is a common problem with the Sega displays. It is most likely what others are saying and is caused by a drop in the 5v power supply. Check the capacitors to see if any are leaking or shiny around them on the power supply board. I recently had to replace some on my Sega and it resolved the issue. Also check for any burnt connectors.

My initial thought too, although, I thought the large DMDs were more problematic to the 5V problem. But still leaning towards this.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I checked the capacitors with an ESR meter and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Which capacitors did you end up having to replace?

#14 5 years ago

2B232B82-3C15-46BC-93F4-276B7F72A5F7 (resized).jpeg2B232B82-3C15-46BC-93F4-276B7F72A5F7 (resized).jpeg

I bought a kit to replace all of the capacitors but these ones looked “wet”. I also replaced the idc connector.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

[quoted image]
I bought a kit to replace all of the capacitors but these ones looked “wet”. I also replaced the idc connector.

That's an earlier power supply. Star Wars Trilogy uses the first Whitestar system. I've tried everything everyone has recommended but still no change. Anyone else have any tech tips?

#16 5 years ago

Had a Jurassic park, lost world that would display the stat up, and then just go blank, game worked fine just no display.
Ended up, there was a problem with the mpu.
I sent to K's arcade for repair so I don't know what they fixed.

#17 5 years ago

Did you replace the MPU cable as I suggested earlier.?..If the game is just showing the boot ROM display, sounds like it's not getting the signal from the MPU.

And I'm sure you've checked, but just as a sanity check, did you make sure the ribbon cable is installed the right orientation? Can't remember if they are keyed or not.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Did you replace the MPU cable as I suggested earlier.?..If the game is just showing the boot ROM display, sounds like it's not getting the signal from the MPU.
And I'm sure you've checked, but just as a sanity check, did you make sure the ribbon cable is installed the right orientation? Can't remember if they are keyed or not.

I think wdennie is right. It's an MPU problem. I did check all the cables and orientation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-trilogy-working-but-dmd-keeps-resetting- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.