(Topic ID: 112517)

Star Wars Trilogy - 20v Power Problem

By AtlanticPinball

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm helping a buddy with his game. I don't normally work on DMD games. I think I'm in the right neighborhood with finding a solution to the problem, but haven't found it yet.

His game has trouble getting to the X-wing multiball. When you shoot the drop targets, and now you try to send the ball up the ramp into the laser cannon. The magnet in the cannon works, and diverts the ball to the X-wing shot. Now we get to the problems...

Many times, the magnet will not pull the ball, though sporadically it will. If it does divert the ball to the X-wing fighter, sometimes the two middle drop targets will not get kicked down. Most of the times, you need to flip the flippers or something to get the X-wing motor to turn the shooter.

In checking out the game, all of these functions come from the J7 plug on the solenoid board. I inspected the board and found a crack on the solder between the board and the capacitor which supplies power for the J7 plug (repaired). I have 21 vdc at all of the coils which are not behaving, and the 21 volts is present and stable (calls for 20vdc in the manual). I've checked the coils for resistance, and all of them seem to have the appropriate level. I have continuity on all of the wires going back to the board.

I'm missing something somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Oh! I forgot to add that these functions also will not always happen in test mode...

1 week later
#3 9 years ago

Bump.

Seeing this guy again today. Are all of the grounds on that driver board connected to each other? This game is missing the center screw which appears to be connected to one leg of a bridge rectifier. I don't have everything in front of me at this moment, but if all of the grounds on that board are not tied together, it's possible that the missing screw could be a source of the power problem...

Anyone have any other thoughts?

#4 9 years ago

Check the fuse clips.
Check the header pins for cracks around the pins.
Especial when you have to create vibration to make it work.
It has to be something the has come loose.

Peter

#5 9 years ago

Ok, from a function standpoint..

The ball not always pulling back the ball, remove the cannon cover, make sure the assembly is not going all the way forward, it is suppose to go around 90 percent there, if it is going all the way, a couple of small post rubbers on the guide rails the assemble rolls on will fix that

The drop targets, make sure they are all clean..they get really gummed up over time and do not slide correctly, I did actually have a bad coil on one of the targets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-trilogy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.