(Topic ID: 259621)

Star Wars Topper does not turn - R2D2 stuck?

By jarch

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MaxIsDead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi All,

I will contact Stern Support tomorrow, but posting this in case someone else has experienced this. I installed my Star Wars R2D2 topper today, and unfortunately the R2D2 head does not rotate. I can hear the motor straining and the top of R2D2's head looks a bit tilted forward (the gap between head and body is not exactly uniform). Box was not damaged. In the Diag menu I attempt to operate the "R2D2 Motor Test" (58, 59 & 60), but no luck. Anyone else run into this? Kind of a bummer but I've learned that everything can be fixed

Thanks ahead of time for any help, Pinsiders!

2 weeks later
#2 4 years ago

The same thing has happened to me twice now. It’s so disappointing.

I take the R2 Topper out of the box. I read the manual twice to be safe (its 4 pages with pictures, takes about 30 seconds), installed everything as the manuals states, turn on the machine, R2’s head rotates counter clock wise about a ¼ of a turn, and it shorts itself out, it’s dead, it does not rotate. I go into the machines test for R2 and the numbers never change, nothing moves.

I call Stern they act like it’s no big deal; they tell me that this has happened before but it’s and easy fix and I can repair it myself. They guide me through taking it apart and testing it. It is dead. You can see where the motor rotates into the support peg and shorts itself out, shorting the PCB. They ask me if I want to repair it myself and they will send me the board. Again they say it’s and easy fix. I said no way, for this kind of money I expect them to fix it. I didn’t spend $836 to refurbish a Topper.

4 weeks go by. I received the same R2 Topper back (#080) from being repaired. The box was damaged and the packaging is poor. I attached photos of the box and packaging. I opened the box carefully and inspected for damage. Luckily everything looks fine. I read the manual again, installed everything as the manuals states, turn on the machine, R2’s head rotates counter clock wise about a ¼ of a turn, and same as last time; it shorts itself out it’s dead, it does not rotate. I go into the machines test for R2 and the numbers never change, nothing moves.

Remember this is supposed to be an easy do it yourself repair. I ask “Did you guys try this in a machine when you installed the new PCB”? It’s clearly out of adjustment, the same as it was last time I sent it to you. I just don’t understand how this could happen twice? I am waiting to get a response.

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3 4 years ago

My R2D2 is stuffed out of the box
Beeps and lights , but no movement whatsoever
Checked diagnostics, switch 58,59,60 and it does nothing
No node board errors , popped him open and all connections are seated properly
This sucks for $1200 AUD

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawks:

My R2D2 is stuffed out of the box
Beeps and lights , but no movement whatsoever
Checked diagnostics, switch 58,59,60 and it does nothing
No node board errors , popped him open and all connections are seated properly
This sucks for $1200 AUD

Did you try the Star Wars topper thread? Many including myself did write ups on how to hopefully get it working. Good luck.

2 years later
#5 1 year ago

Does anyone have a link to the official Star Wars topper thread? In can't seem to find it

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Does anyone have a link to the official Star Wars topper thread? In can't seem to find it

This may be the droid you are looking for...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper

#7 1 year ago

Thanks!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-topper-does-not-turn-r2d2-stuck?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.