Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TigerLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PEDRO_HPmainimage (resized).jpg
    a34dd8b41e18cc09bdd3394f77b62e85 (resized).jpg
    Fullerton_map (resized).jpg
    IMG_5804 (resized).JPG
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    5cb8bc331ed30c19fc7b5911d236a1d4 (resized).jpg
    Devolve (resized).png
    FreeVector-FreeVector-Broken-Record (resized).jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Almost two decades into the 21st century and is this what we can expect most new pinball themes to be? One old licensed theme after another? And with this one that's already been done several times already?

I wonder if the folks at Bally that brought us Wizard the same year Tommy was released and two years before Star Wars had any idea it would come to this when they gave pinball the first licensed theme back in 1975.

I know the old saying is if you don't like something, don't buy it, and for me that's a given.
    I just find it a little sad that pinball which I love so much and I have been part of and it has been of me most of my life has become what it is now.

At one time pinball mirrored pop culture and was a major part of it. Is there even the slightest chance that will ever happen again? Probably not. But it was fun while it lasted.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Almost two decades into the 21st century and is this what we can expect most new pinball themes to be? One old licensed theme after another?

Dialed In bro...cost less than your BM66 did too!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At one time pinball mirrored pop culture and was a major part of it. Is there even the slightest chance that will ever happen again? Probably not. But it was fun while it lasted.

Listen, Batman 66 owner...you be quiet. Star Wars has released two films in the last 18 months that have killed it at the box office. The New York Philharmonic is playing the entire score with 4 Star Wars films while the film is playing in the background. It's still a HUGE part of pop culture, so this pin is truly mirroring what's important in pop culture now.

But purple Batman in tights? Not so much.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Almost two decades into the 21st century and is this what we can expect most new pinball themes to be? One old licensed theme after another? And with this one that's already been done several times already?
    I wonder if the folks at Bally that brought us Wizard the same year Tommy was released and two years before Star Wars had any idea it would come to this when they gave pinball the first licensed theme back in 1975.
    I know the old saying is if you don't like something, don't buy it, and for me that's a given.
    I just find it a little sad that pinball which I love so much and I have been part of and it has been of me most of my life has become what it is now.

You are the one that bought BM66.

#6 6 years ago

To prevent this thread from becoming just a discussion about the new star wars pin, any discussions specific to the new star wars pin should be directed here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

You are the one that bought BM66.

I got rid of that months ago.

I tried to become one with what pinball has become with that title, but it turned out to be another fail. Between waiting for snippets of code to drop and the constant reminder that this isn't what I'm really into now or like most of the latest pinball themes, haven't been for 30 or 40 years, it became a burdon to look at, especially this part-

Quoted from beelzeboob:

purple Batman in tights

I think it is probably married men that mostly seek out these older themes, as some are stuck in a situation, like it or not, and long for a reminder of the days before that when they were young and free.

As far as single guys like myself that never got tied down, we are more likely to be looking forward and up on what's going on now as opposed to trying to relive the past. That is the only explanation I can come up with.

#8 6 years ago

@o-din, what would you suggest for a hip new theme that would appeal to the current pinball demographic?

#9 6 years ago

Same Old, Same OldSame Old, Same Old

The second you bought BM66, this broken record you constantly repeat was rendered NULL and VOID.

Find some other windmill to tilt on.

#10 6 years ago

Social media fights!!!!

Modern theme...

#11 6 years ago

There's nothing new under the sun. We have come too far and no new original ideas are left. We must go back to go forward. We must devolve.

Devolve (resized).pngDevolve (resized).png

#12 6 years ago

Come on buddy, you're just going to piss a bunch of people off and work yourself into frustration. Eventually Nimble is going to have to step in and convince you to take a break. If this is just a ploy to get him to take you to El Fartolitos just let him know.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Come on buddy, you're just going to piss a bunch of people off and work yourself into frustration. Eventually Nimble is going to have to step in and convince you to take a break. If this is just a ploy to get him to take you to El Fartolitos just let him know.

Yep , sounds like he crying out for a burrito

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Nimble is going to have to step in and convince you to take a break.

He just called to inform me there is a Shangri La for sale down San Diego way. I can think of no better way to spend some of that Batman money that's still burning a hole in my pocket instead of waiting for a Fast and Furious pinball machine. Cause that aint neva gonna happen!

#15 6 years ago

I enjoy your posts O-din, but your complaining about themes is about a stale as the themes you are complaining about. Plus it's not really accurate. Just looking at stern recent several titles you see a nice mix of throw back themes and modern stuff from today's pop culture and media.

SW (old theme, at least has new movies out)
    AS (old band but still making music and relevant)
    BM66 (old but you loved the theme and bought one)
    GB (old movie, I agree with you on this one)
    GOT (new theme, completely relevant)
    KISS (old, not real relevant)
    WWE (still current even if you hate it, relevant)
    WNBJM (cool theme, who hates melons?)
    TWD (completely relevant)
    IM (new movies, completely relevant)
    Mustang (just a bad theme all around)
    ST (new movies, completely relevant)
    MET (still going strong, relevant)
    AV (new movies, relevant)

#16 6 years ago

Old money buys old themes.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

Yep , sounds like he crying out for a burrito

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Old money buys old themes.

If you say so, sonny boy.

5cb8bc331ed30c19fc7b5911d236a1d4 (resized).jpg5cb8bc331ed30c19fc7b5911d236a1d4 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you say so, sonny boy.

Didn't exclude myself from my own comment.

#20 6 years ago

Yes, but when pinball reflected pop culture it was aimed at teens/20 something's that ate up that stuff.
    Arcades no longer exist
    That demographic isinterested in other things
    Manufacturers also churned out more product. . 10 games per year, you don't like a theme, wait amonthand anew game comes out

Times change

#21 6 years ago

New themes:
    Snowflake Parade
    Deadly Weekend(Chicago theme)
    Road Rage
    Facebook n Friends
    Who Dat?
    Babies Daddy
    Not My President

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Snowflake Parade

I like this one. Should fit in quite nicely around here.

#23 6 years ago

Hahahaha, man... hilarious list Vdojaq.

#24 6 years ago

Actually, the first licensed pinball was 1960's Gottlieb "Wagon Train" featuring the star of the show Ward Bond on the playfield.

#25 6 years ago

Bonanza too?

Kinda what I had in mind.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

It is only sad if you find current culture engaging. I don't.

Mainstream movies mostly stink today. Music totally blows. The only thing that feels exciting to me is TV. Been lots of good unique TV the past 15 years.

#27 6 years ago

I have always found current culture engaging.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Like Stern's new machines?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At one time pinball mirrored pop culture and was a major part of it. Is there even the slightest chance that will ever happen again? Probably not.

Isn't that exactly what Dialed In's phone theme does?

#30 6 years ago

It's called nostalgia. One of the biggest parts of pinball for me is nostalgia factor. Old classic themes have that in spades.

Themes like Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, Indiana Jones, Flash Gordon, Terminator & even old action movies (eg. Demolition Man, Judge Dredd) all hold a special place in my memories growing up. This makes them far more suitable (to me) for a pinball machine theme. Since pinball is primarily a Gen X hobby, it makes sense that manufactures are appealing to their largest market.

Themes like The Hunger Games, Twilight, Maze Runner, Divergent and whatever else teens watch these days, just don't do it for me. I'm sure the above mentioned properties are equivalent to Star Wars and Star Trek in the minds of Millennials, but as pinball themes are a thumbs down for me.

With that being said, there is a big number of new themes ripe for pinball (lots of Marvel & DC stuff that no doubt will translate to pinball really well) Just nostalgia is a big part of pinball.

#31 6 years ago

I would rather have new "in-house" fantasy/sci-fi themes then just current movie/comic pinballs.

Where are the games like Swords of Fury 2? Arena 2? Dungeons & Dragons 2? High Speed 3? feels like they had better imagination back in the day.

#32 6 years ago

funny, I am just glad there are so many pinball machines being made! up to me if I want to buy them or not.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like this one. Should fit in quite nicely around here.

I think we upset one already.....

#34 6 years ago

I'd love to see newer, more adventurous licenses, but millennials are way, way poorer than baby boomer collectors so that's unlikely to happen. Still, there are plenty of great licenses that are still fresh right now, and stuff coming up that'd be terrific and timely. The boat's already sailed on Stranger Things, unless season two is a hit, but Black Mirror, Silicon Valley, Steven Universe, American Gods, Rick and Morty, and Archer are all still floating around in the cultural consciousness. And there's loads of good movies coming soon that they could jump on, as well. Baby Driver, for example, or Atomic Blonde, or Ready Player One, which I hate but would make a great pin. Or a modern music pin - synthpop is huge right now, get Chromatics to score a pin, or the Gorillaz. It's not like we're wanting for options.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ummm yeah,
    I'm going to have to call a big fat "B.S." on that one buddy...

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Ummm yeah,
    I'm going to have to call a big fat "B.S." on that one buddy...

Then do me a favor and slap me next time I put on one of those classic rock stations or throw in a Led Zeppelin 8-track and I'll try to engage with tunes a little more current.

#37 6 years ago

How about a "Married With Children" pinball? There could be some great audio callouts with this theme!

#38 6 years ago

Well the old themes are selling and selling very good. After all who has the extra cash to buy these expensive toys? I would say most people from there late 30s on up. Why do most people buy pins? Because they played them when growing up. What themes will appeal to them? Themes from---------------- when they were growing up. Keep in mind I'm talking about the majority of pin owners. Yeah I know there are many people just getting into the hobby but you got to go where the cash flows.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Why do most people buy pins? Because they played them when growing up.

I now buy the ones I never played while growing up. Even though some are very old, that makes them a new experience to me. Which is what I'm looking for in pinball games. I don't want expensive toys to help me relive the past. My memory serves me quite well.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then do me a favor and slap me next time

Lol,
    I'm sure many people (and a few mods) on here would love for me to do just that when you start soundbombing O-Din's infinite looping this-is-what's-wrong-with-NEW-pinball top 40...errr...make that 80.
    (Now hosted by Noone! )

Music-wise, sure you are up on the latest alt rock stuff, I'll give you that.
    Butt,
    Pretty much everything else we jabber on about/care about, ends up being an unaired episode of...

IMG_5804 (resized).JPGIMG_5804 (resized).JPG

Don't worry Spicoli, you'll always be my Ralph Story!

Now let's log off, go get that burrito and possibly some "old-timey" bowling afterwards. At least the girls in the surrounding lanes will find your views on current culture somewhat interesting.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I now buy the ones I never played while growing up. Even though some are very old, that makes them a new experience to me. Which is what I'm looking for in pinball games. I don't want expensive toys to help me relive the past. My memory serves me quite well.

That's because you already owned all the ones you played as a kid. I'm getting to that point myself. I never played the B/W DMD titles as a kid and now want to play them for as you said new experience. BuT a lot of people are still searching for that one game they remember playing in the arcades.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

I would rather have new "in-house" fantasy/sci-fi themes then just current movie/comic pinballs.
    Where are the games like Swords of Fury 2? Arena 2? Dungeons & Dragons 2? High Speed 3? feels like they had better imagination back in the day.

^
    This a thousand times over. New themes, ideas, good interactive toys. Hell, rehash some of the bally classics. Those games had some major originality, just no technological horsepower.

#43 6 years ago

We need an "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" pin. Between Charlie's illiteracy, kitten mittons, Dee being a bird, Frank's various shell corporations, Mac's, up until recently, denial of his sexuality, RumHam, Jersey Shore, the Waitress, Dayman, Nightman, Dayman Musical, dancing your ass off to save the bar, Paddy's Pub, that poor lawyer they harass, offering millions to Joan Bovine Javi to purchase his arena football team, Shadynasty's, toeknifes, piss can, huffing glue and eating catfood to fall asleep at Charlie's, the McPoyle family, Project Badass, Lethal Weapon 5 and 6, Thundergun Express, buying a billboard, prime beefcake, doing crack so that one can collect welfare, Charlie's mom and her job, Mac's mom and her cigarettes, Mac's dad, Charlie needing to be knocked out when leaving Philadelphia, and beating Wade Bogg's beer drinking record, an excellent pinball machine is somewhere in that mess .

I think the reason we see older themes is due to pinball's demographics ... the primary players and purchasers of these machines are mid-late 30s on up. Fortunately, it seems that pinball is catching on with the 20-something crowd, so I do agree, somewhat, that they need newer, fresher themes.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

I'd love to see newer, more adventurous licenses, but millennials are way, way poorer than baby boomer collectors so that's unlikely to happen. Still, there are plenty of great licenses that are still fresh right now, and stuff coming up that'd be terrific and timely. The boat's already sailed on Stranger Things, unless season two is a hit, but Black Mirror, Silicon Valley, Steven Universe, American Gods, Rick and Morty, and Archer are all still floating around in the cultural consciousness. And there's loads of good movies coming soon that they could jump on, as well. Baby Driver, for example, or Atomic Blonde, or Ready Player One, which I hate but would make a great pin. Or a modern music pin - synthpop is huge right now, get Chromatics to score a pin, or the Gorillaz. It's not like we're wanting for options.

Nailed it. Oh man a Chromatics-scored pin?! I love that band and even I know I'd fall asleep...

Your first sentence nails it. Who's got the money and interest in blowing $5 - 8K on a big heavy light-up flippy machine? Not millennials. I'm a Gen-Xer (I think? I'm 38) and I didn't have the cash to buy one when I was in my 20s and 30s. So they have to come up with themes that please their audience. Another Avengers pin seems like a no brainer (maybe this one will be fun?) or Guardians ... or how about the Muppets ? I would love that

Anyway, there is so much fragmentation in interest, there's no 1 theme that would be a top seller - and they have to sell as many pins as possible, so I think they're sticking with the golden oldies at this point. Alien was (is) a great theme, so is Houdini (not really a Boomer theme either), and I think it is awesome that Jack has the balls to do Dialed In. I am so thrilled about Lawlor's new masterpiece... I just wish I could afford it!!

#45 6 years ago

The goal is to get the right Themes in an Arcade, and people come and change a 10 into quarters and play. Or pay by the Hour,whatever.
    The Game Parlor needs to return in a big way,and it can't.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Actually, the first licensed pinball was 1960's Gottlieb "Wagon Train" featuring the star of the show Ward Bond on the playfield.

Do you have a source for this info. Ken?

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nailed it. Oh man a Chromatics-scored pin?! I love that band and even I know I'd fall asleep...

haha

I'd love to see a modern music pin, though, especially something that adds to the barcade ambiance. That was one of the big draws for my non-pinhead friends for PinOut, the cool Chromatics-y music. Something that would be cool would be a "remix" pin, where every shot you make successfully adds to or remixes an aspect of the music (I've always thought this would be a good crossover with Spectrum), so you're hitting target banks to add drum beats, shooting long ramps to add stems, etc.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

o-din, what would you suggest for a hip new theme that would appeal to the current pinball demographic?

The Purge. Watched one of those movies the other night and it was quite good. Frank Grillo rocks!

I have read all the posts here and it does seem like Dialed In is the closest thing we've got to a modern theme in a new game (sure, GOT and TWD are recent , but neither game is that new any more and neither are the shows.)

So I look forward to playing Dialed In if one ever makes it's way to So Cal and would be impressed if JJP did a Fast and Furious game before that box office record breaking series comes to an end.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Don't worry Spicoli, you'll always be my Ralph Story!

It's not about "things that aren't here anymore" ( except maybe cool original pinball themes). For now it's all about coming attractions.

Fullerton_map (resized).jpgFullerton_map (resized).jpg

#49 6 years ago

Pedro's FTW!!!

a34dd8b41e18cc09bdd3394f77b62e85 (resized).jpga34dd8b41e18cc09bdd3394f77b62e85 (resized).jpg

PEDRO_HPmainimage (resized).jpgPEDRO_HPmainimage (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The Purge. Watched one of those movies the other night and it was quite good. Frank Grillo rocks!

Yeah the sequel is the best one. Frank Grillo is a bad ass.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-really and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.