• Latest reply 5 years ago by Sammy31
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1298 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I recently bought a star wars pro (stern) and I popped the sd card out set it to read only and used a tool to back up the card to an image, I got a bit confused on weather I set it back to unlocked, I wasnt completely sure that it was unlocked but I was pretty sure, The game worked and saved vol. settings and freeplay on/off changes even after unplugging it for a while so I figured its probably set right, when I turned off the game and inserted a flash drive with the update code turned it back on it said please insert flash drive, after restarting it and removing the drive it works again, any recomendations on how to update it? are there any potential problems that would acurr if I was to flip the switch on the sd card and see if that fixes it?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from tytydell:

I recently bought a star wars pro (stern) and I popped the sd card out set it to read only and used a tool to back up the card to an image, I got a bit confused on weather I set it back to unlocked, I wasnt completely sure that it was unlocked but I was pretty sure, The game worked and saved vol. settings and freeplay on/off changes even after unplugging it for a while so I figured its probably set right, when I turned off the game and inserted a flash drive with the update code turned it back on it said please insert flash drive, after restarting it and removing the drive it works again, any recomendations on how to update it? are there any potential problems that would acurr if I was to flip the switch on the sd card and see if that fixes it?

I'm not sure how you mean by SD card. There are no cards or anything else that you need to take out of the machine.
It sounds like you have either a flash drive with wrong format, or your files are still zipped, maybe.

You want to make sure you download the updated code file from the Stern website onto your desktop (not the read-me file, which is there only to read the new and previous code updates). You will see the file folder contains 3 files. You want them all. Highlight that file folder on your desktop once downloaded and unzip or "extract" those files again on the desktop...all the above takes anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes. Once extracted/unzipped, drag the files into your flash drive. This again will take 10 or 15 minutes probably.
Make sure your flash drive is formatted FAT32 (similar appearing formats, like ExFAT, will not work). You can check this formatting ususally by clicking "properties" on the flash drive once it is in your computer. Note, the company PNY, which you can get at your local tech store or Best Buy come formatted this way...companies like SanDisk are not. Also note many folks, including myself have had issues downloading from Mac, and thus many including myself have had success with Windows computers.
Once the files are transferred, with the pinball machine off, place your flash drive into the recommended usb port behind the backglass and turn the pinball machine on...you will be prompted to update. There are a few options and likely all are fine, but I choose Full update and Yes to Verify. Best i can tell, Full vs. Quick is complete code revamp vs. Just the new changes and the verify is to analyze the flash and files for corruption or unnecessary files. Once finished, turn the pinball machine off and remove the flash drive. Thats it. Next time you turn it on, it will show you the new code is installed.
Note, a few folks, including myself encountered "fail to update" when in the process of the pinball updating...just try again, (the pinball machine screen usually takes you back to the initial screen asking if you want to update, full, verify, etc.)...just try again and it should work. For some on occasion, I noticed they needed to re-download from the website>desktop>flash drive a second time and that eventually worked as long as formatting was correct.
Once update is done, you will need to re-modify settings, i.e. free play, ball eject speed, etc..

Hope that helps. It's an awesome game! Seriously addictive!!!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from tytydell:

are there any potential problems that would acurr if I was to flip the switch on the sd card and see if that fixes it?

No. Flipping the switch is safe. It simply won't update if it's locked.

Quoted from ChipScott:

I'm not sure how you mean by SD card. There are no cards or anything else that you need to take out of the machine.

Chip are you saying your #star-wars-stern-le does not have an sd card? If no SD card how did you back up the code?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Chip are you saying your Star Wars (Premium/LE) does not have an sd card? If no SD card how did you back up the code?

thanks, Ill try it when I get a chance

#5 6 years ago

my dad would like me to keep it at its current version now because he wants to really notice the differences when we update it (just bought the game) is there a way I can make sure the sd card is unlocked without updating just to make sure that we dont encounter any problems because of it, im unsure which way is locked and unlocked

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from tytydell:

my dad would like me to keep it at its current version now because he wants to really notice the differences when we update it (just bought the game) is there a way I can make sure the sd card is unlocked without updating just to make sure that we dont encounter any problems because of it, im unsure which way is locked and unlocked

Generally, moving the switch closer to the contacts on the card is locked. The label should have an indicator printed on it. See https://kb.sandisk.com/euf/assets/images/faqs/1102/id1102_extreme4.gif for an example.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Chip are you saying your Star Wars (Premium/LE) does not have an sd card? If no SD card how did you back up the code?

Great question! And thank you. I tell ya, if it does have an SD card I didn't know about it or ever had to mess with it. I'll have to check into that bc I'd love to be able to backup a code if I update and theres issues with updated code (perfect example being the recent . 92 ramp issue...would have been nice to just be able to more simply revert back to .89 without having to re download from the Stern site). But thus far I've been able to update 3 times (.92, back to .89 and now .93) without ever messing with an SD card. Fortunately, I have not have any major issues with anything and the game has played well all along the way. But from your statement, I will definitely go hunting for this card, bc as mentioned, it would be nice to have a backup of prior code if newer code is under par. I havent heard anyone else talking about this card. Where is this card located anyway?

#9 6 years ago

yes it has a label but I have a hard time understanding it, most of mine just have a little pic of a loc on one side, not sure which is locked, I have the slider towards the contacts

IMG_1298 (resized).JPGIMG_1298 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

It's unlocked in your photo.

#11 6 years ago

thanks, what format should the flash drive be that i use to update the machine

#12 6 years ago

Should have instructions in the manual. Likely FAT32. Unzipped, spk in the root folder of the drive.

#13 6 years ago

thats probably my problem, it was on ntfs

2 weeks later
#14 6 years ago

i just received my Star Wars Pro today, and wanted to update it to the latest (0.93) version. I unpacked the zip file to my USB drive (formatted as FAT32), but the machine just booted up as if there was no USB drive installed. The three files were star_wars_pro-0_93_0.spk.003.000, .001 and .002. I was thinking that they were supposed to be .spk files - do I have the right files, or did my extraction go awry?

Thanks.

#15 6 years ago

I would back up your current software, then make sure your spk file (s) are in the root directory of your USB drive and try again.

#16 6 years ago

I reformatted the USB drive, backed up the Stern SD card, extracted the files and tried it again - seems to be working this time. Thanks!

1 month later
#17 6 years ago

My Pro has 2 USB ports... not sure which one will work best. I guess I got a 50% chance to put it in the right one! I will share what the results are after the fact.

6 months later
#18 5 years ago

any results?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 21.50
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-pro-wont-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.