Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pro or LE/PREM”

• Pro is basically he same game save your $$ 66 votes
    53%
  • Gotta get the extra features worth it! 58 votes
    47%

(124 votes)

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well like I said, I didn't notice it about 30% of the time. But I like to do a lot of drop catches and that's when I notice it as it messes with my timing. Then I get focused on it and irritates me. Plus there's a lot of side to side movement of the ball in this game which can cause the wireforms to catch your eye. Just my opinion. Maybe I'll have a better experience on it next time I play.

I have the same experience as you. I think it's a cool feature but I really wish they would have extended the wire form to go past the flippers. My assumption is they didn't do that in case a ball got stuck so you wouldn't lose the ball but because of my height and playing stance it does draw my eye as well.

I'd really like to try a Pro since all I've only played an LE. The LE is beautiful to look at because of the colors and lighting and I hear the pro is the same. I thought I would dislike the art but I actually kind of like it. I'm obviously not real artistic though as I like my GOTLE art too. Right now I'm just struggling to enjoy playing the game as I'm trying to figure out what I should be doing. I just feel like I'm shooting for a flashing light.

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

You even get the great light show! Its really a shame they couldn't have just tossed a magnet in somewhere, "The Force" I think thats all this game needs to be a total smash hit.

They really should have just added "Magna Slings" to the LE/Premium model which would have differentiated it more from the Pro but yet kept the gameplay/rules similar. Instead of ghosts throwing the ball around it would be "the Force"....

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

They really should have just added "Magna Slings" to the LE/Premium model which would have differentiated it more from the Pro but yet kept the gameplay/rules similar. Instead of ghosts throwing the ball around it would be "the Force"....

I would have liked this. I was even toying with the idea of whether this could be an addon somehow. Then again, star wars is a blast and so damn fast, magna slings may just be to hard.

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Then again, star wars is a blast and so damn fast, magna slings may just be to hard.

Maybe easier! Slow a fast ball down?

Quoted from SilverballNut:

I was even toying with the idea of whether this could be an addon somehow.

Stop giving them ideas for more monies

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe easier! Slow a fast ball down?

Stop giving them ideas for more monies

They could have normal slings but with a magent that can catch the ball then you use the force with the center button to stop it and drop it on your flipper for the kill shot
!

2 weeks later
#106 1 year ago

Wanted to update this thread ... I went prem/LE and don’t regret it ! That hyperloop shot is very satisfying !!

1 year later
#107 3 days ago

Resurrecting this thread to see what people think in 2018;

Now that I am familiar with the rules, SW has grown on me a lot!

I like the looks of the premium, but the exploding death star seems to be used almost never in gameplay, and the hyperspace loop looks like something I would rather not have right in front of my flippers.

Am I wrong? The premium art package is nice, but you don't play the art

#108 3 days ago

Peeps seem to love their hyperloop; personally I don;t thik it's worth the extra cash but we all have our opinions.
Art per usual is a complete non factor to me.

#109 3 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Resurrecting this thread to see what people think in 2018;
Now that I am familiar with the rules, SW has grown on me a lot!
I like the looks of the premium, but the exploding death star seems to be used almost never in gameplay, and the hyperspace loop looks like something I would rather not have right in front of my flippers.
Am I wrong? The premium art package is nice, but you don't play the art

I’ve played both and own the prem. I can routinely blowup the deathstar, although it takes a ton of practice. The hyperspace loop is an incredible rush...in this regards the pro definitely is lacking. An extremely tough shot, but as long as the game is properly leveled and clean, certainly a doable shot. You really need to experience hyperspace multiball...it will get you blood pumping!

#110 3 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’ve played both and own the prem. I can routinely blowup the deathstar, although it takes a ton of practice. The hyperspace loop is an incredible rush...in this regards the pro definitely is lacking. An extremely tough shot, but as long as the game is properly leveled and clean, certainly a doable shot. You really need to experience hyperspace multiball...it will get you blood pumping!

Agreed. I have heard many Pro owners complain that the Death Star shot is harder on the Premium. It is, but when you make it you will start to understand. When you blow up the Death Star on the Pro is can be very anti-anti-clamatic. The coil to explode the Death Star fires like 5 times and you KNOW you did something. I sold my Pro to upgrade to a Premium and love it.

#111 3 days ago

Owned both. Loved the pro, it's faster without the diverter clunking the horseshoe and it's nice to be able to backhand the Death Star. Missed it and picked up a nice used premium, exploding Death Star is "meh" but the hyperspace loop shot is very satisfying when you nail it. I recommend either if you can find a solid local deal on one. The pro is a WAY better bang for your buck.

#112 3 days ago

Thank you for the responses so far. Helpful feedback from now longer term owners.

Thank you also for doing a good job explaining the 'why' behind your position.

#113 3 days ago

Pro owner here but I have access to a premium on location.

I’ve never been a big fan of the hyperloop until recently. It really is a hard shot to make compared to the pro, but once you get it dialed in, it really is a good rush and a great feeling destroying the Death Star with it. I hear so many comments saying that the exploding Death Star needs to happen more...no it doesn’t! It really is a pretty ‘meh’ mech, but keeping it as a rare occurrence makes it cooler.

That said; if it wasn’t the holiday season and it wasn’t such a cost hit, I’d consider upgrading my pro to a premium. But here’s a few other things to consider:

+ the pro does play faster. But not necessarily more brutal, I think the premium is more brutal because the Death Star shot is one of the most important shots in the game and it seems to be harder (and not as easily back handible) on the premium.
+ also the premium lacks that post below the drops which prevents cheap plunge drains.
+ here’s 2 other big things to consider. 1. The hyperloop ramp does cause flow and speed issues when making the horseshoe ramp from the Tatooine (right) shot. And 2. The hyperloop wireform is obtrusive - it just is. You learn to play around it, but it’s always there pecking away at your visuals during normal gameplay.
+ the other features on the premium are minor and meaningless imo.

All in all, It really is a comparison of hyperloop yes or hyperloop no. In short (too late), you get a cool final blow shot to the Death Star plus a more intense hyperspace mb experience at the cost of a visual obstructive wireform, a missing cheap save post, a slightly klunk horseshoe shot, and a buttload of $$$. But man, it is a cool feeling putting the ball in the hyperloop when destroying the Death Star. However, the destroy the Death Star sequence in itself is so cool that doing it on the pro is just about as rewarding.

SW PRO is a fantastic addicting bang for your buck; but if money is no object and you don’t mind the nuisances I mentioned of having the hyperloop, then I’d say go premium. Id reconsider upgrading my pro to prem, but having a premium on location 15 minutes away from me makes no sense for me to upgrade. I can play the pro and premium whenever for the most part

And when it comes to cost, at $7k+ I have to start wondering if I’m better off with a JJP game than a stern.

#114 3 days ago

Hah so after posting my thoughts above ^^^ on pro vs LE. I went back and found my initial thoughts mini review that I originally posted in this thread a year ago. Keep in mind, I have now owned the Pro version for 6 months. But a few things in my ‘initial’ review that still stand out today as an owner:

+ the use of the display is one of the worst in pinball. It’s put together nicely, and has cool theme integrated elements, but for a pinball player, it’s horrid. Instructional text is either too small And/or coded in droid language. And scoring display is completely inconsistent, the only feature in the game that uses scoring display properly is the hyperspace hurryup. The rest is just messy.

+ the custom call outs are still really really bad. I understand they got a voice actor from the attack of the clones series to do the call outs; that’s great and all but this isn’t attack of the clones.

+ now the positives: rules, energy, and excitement factor are the best things going for this game. The fan fare of beating one of the 4 planet multiballs is exhilarating; unfortunately (back to negatives), if you stack tie fighter multiball or hyperspace multiball on top of one of the 4 planet multiballs, all excitement, fanfare, and sense of achievement will he diminished when you make that final shot to destroy the Death Star, or blow up jabbas palace, or escape both. It’s so bad that I sometimes will intentionally try not to stack a multiball so it doesn’t void all this.

+ another positive: the premium I play on location now doesn’t brick like the one I played a year ago. Way way better, and feels great. That’s the great thing about these follow up reviews; people have found a way to properly adjust the hyperloop ramp now so it’s a more inviting shot whereas a year ago not many people knew about the adjustment wireform nut.

All in all, Star Wars really is a great game and while Dwight did an amazing job with the code, it does need polish to address the scoring display inconsistencies and bugs as well as the choreography glitches.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not sure where I should post my mini review of both versions, so I'll just leave it here. I know I'm gonna piss off Some people with this review but I'm a stern fan, Ritchie fan, and Dwight fan; but sometimes I just have to call it like I see it....
I wasn't too impressed with SW PRO but it was still Fast, with some fun aspects and good flow. The horseshoe shot is great, the captive hyperspace shot is great, and the shots overall feel good. I think there's a little too much side to side movement in the ball that causes a conflict with some of the mode timers at times but not a big deal. Overall not a bad stern pro. There is something missing though in this game though, see below after my LE review for more on that...
Watching the hyperdrive in videos gave me hope that what SW was missing would be made up for with the hyperdrive. I was mistaken. now this could be the gamesetup I played on location, it was setup fairly steep (level bubble halfway between top line which, from my experience is approx 6.8-6.9 dig pitch); but after reading other reviews there seemed to be a lot of similarities. First and foremost, the hyperdrive shot itself bricked...a lot. And I was hitting it dead on. When you finally make it and it takes, it is a really cool experience. I once had two balls going at once which was extremely cool until one flew off and my third ball bricked the hyperdrive shot...again....ending the hyperspace experience. One time the ball came flying off the ramp into the shooter lane. Overall, the shot felt clunky but was a satisfying toy when it took.
Next is the wire form ramp in front of the flippers - I don't care who you are, the ramp is abtrusive and in the way. Maybe 30% of the time i didn't notice and/or it didn't bother me, but overall it was very irritating and getting in the way.
Both versions are missing something....code! I know it's early, and the rules actually are really good and I like the rules. But the overall code is so unpolished, so lack luster. There's lots of cool sound effects for modes and such but not character or theme interaction with what's going on. The game needs some call outs on top of the sound effect transitions to immerse the playe more into the theme. The lack of mode instructions on the display was a downer too.
And the outlane save on the LE, forge about it. It's like it was originally going to be a magma 'force' save but got scrapped for a flimsy diverter.
Overall, it's Still on early code and if Dwight dedicates his life to this game, he and he alone can save it. Rules are great. But polish and integration are heavily lacking.
I like the idea of the hyperdrive and if it wasn't so clunky and annoyingly blocking vision, I'd say the PREM is a must go if I had to choose. But the pro seemed to play better for the reasons stated on the hyperdrive. So right now, pro wins in my book for better gameplay. But, I'm begging Dwight if he's out there to follow through with this pin and make it the best it deserves to be - I hope stern gives him the time and resources to bring it up a few notches.
After playing the dialed In next to it, the LE felt like a pro, and the pro felt like a home pin. Sorry if this sounds like a harsh review; it's just my initial opinions of both versions after a few hours of play on both.

#115 3 days ago

Both versions are just really fun games to play. Pinside loves to crap on stern SW but overall it turned out fantastic and has great LCD theme implementation and excellent code that really pulls you into the game. For me the hyperloop is a must have so I have a premium. Got it as a show game on the cheap and it's one of my favorite games. It has plenty of depth and lots of strategy so you can just play through the modes as stories or you can attack the game for points. It is a tough game but it has that one more play appeal big time.

#116 2 days ago

Yes.

#117 2 days ago

Well, I own a Pro, and was interested in trading for the Premium, until a buddy of mine said "WHY would you want to do that, the Premium looks like it's wearing braces and headgear". And I can never unsee that visual.

They are both great, hopefully I didn't ruin the Premium for you.

#118 2 days ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Well, I own a Pro, and was interested in trading for the Premium, until a buddy of mine said "WHY would you want to do that, the Premium looks like it's wearing braces and headgear". And I can never unsee that visual.
They are both great, hopefully I didn't ruin the Premium for you.

Can't imagine this title without the hyperloop, especially since it's fairly basic PF layout. Hyperspace MB (on the Premium/LE) is just awesome. Having 2/3 balls flying around while you are blasting away on the PF is a pinball feeling like no other.

snaroff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Newland, NC
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 11.99
$ 217.00
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 106.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside