Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pro or LE/PREM”

• Pro is basically he same game save your $$ 74 votes
    50%
  • Gotta get the extra features worth it! 73 votes
    50%

(147 votes)

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

To me this is a case of the pro having everything the game needs to satisfy the game's full experience while the premium/LE trims are giving you some perks and extras that are nice, but really not worth stretching the budget for unless you're a Star Wars mega fan. For the additions to gameplay, it's all very minor. Few pros suffer much from the "stripping down" from the premium level. Ghostbusters and AC/DC, I say it's worth the extra? Star Wars, go pro.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

To me this is a case of the pro having everything the game needs to satisfy the game's full experience while the premium/LE trims are giving you some perks and extras that are nice, but really not worth stretching the budget for unless you're a Star Wars mega fan. For the additions to gameplay, it's all very minor. Few pros suffer much from the "stripping down" from the premium level. Ghostbusters and AC/DC, I say it's worth the extra? Star Wars, go pro.

If the hyperloop does really nothing compared to the pro, I think I finally prefer to pass this one.

#53 6 years ago

If a justification of funds is what you are looking for you will not find it. The sensible thing to do is not spend thousands of dollars on a game for our house. Especially because you are just putting it next to another game that you spent thousands of dollars on. This is not a sensible hobby. So it's a good thing we are not sensible people. SWLE is it worth the extra money? Probably not unless you need to have that game that has a limited number of production. Big money difference between the PRO and the LE. Now we will discuss the Premium. It has everything the LE has. Rails and powder can easily be added at a much cheaper price point. Translite? The premium translite is The best. I switched my LE out for the Premium one. What else? That's it! Now PRO to the Premium No matter what you do you can't make a pro into a Premium. The whole point of the game is the hyper loop and death star shot. If you do not like that feature I ask why are you even looking into buying this game? The pro is a fun game but imo it will not have staying power due to its lack of features. Now is not the time for sensibility. Buy the game as it was designed to be played. That Death Star Shot into the hyper loop is probably the most satisfying shot in pinball today.

Just my opinion others may have a different one. But do not rush this decision play both versions alot before choosing. The best thing about Star Wars is how addicting the game is. Fun, Fast, Shoots Great, Video Animations and integration the best stern has ever done, Amazing lighting effects, Music is outstanding, playfield and art is good not great, Button on the lock down bar is annoying but I love it. All these little things come together perfectly making Star Wars a fun game suitable for anyone's collection.

Play Better!

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

The whole point of the game is the hyper loop and death star shot. If you do not like that feature I ask why are you even looking into buying this game

again I disagree. I value your and anyones opinion,
The game is not centered around the Hyperspace loop/mb and not centerered around just the death star . it is about Choosing a path for one of 4 characters and finishing said path of missions and become a Jedi Master. which is not about just shooting a death star.
As far as that shot being the most satisfying shot in pinball,NO!. Hitting and making the Death star shoot is hard and satisfying yes, But best in Pinball. That is a Bold statement.
I love Pinball and I am a Star wars Fan . I love the game and As far as the element of the Fork ramp and Nascar loop and Opening Ball save gate is not missed one bit and saved me thousands on a game Tile I relate to and love . PRO PRO PRO PRO PRO / Great game great flow and the path to Jedi MB and Victory are worth the price of Pro admission . I will not ever miss the features you get on the premium . And as far as staying power . Just like any Few trick pony pinballs this won't be leaving soon if ever / Again. Opinions vary across the board. Do soul searching play all the models and see what works for You as an individual. Or As a Couple if the Wifey is involved . IMHO the extras are dumb

#55 6 years ago

And that is why we love pinball. I speak from my thoughts and experiences others do as well. Perfect analogy why some like chocolate others like vanilla. In this case at least both are still enjoyable. Bottom line is Buy at least one version of Star Wars. I don't care which one.

#56 6 years ago

Not derail but the hole in one in NGG is pretty satisfying ... especially if it's for the "SUPER JACKPOT!!"

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

If a justification of funds is what you are looking for you will not find it. ...This is not a sensible hobby.

Funny, I had the same thought. There are some things I don't try to justify, but I can always blame them on Patron.

#58 6 years ago

2 grand for the Premium seems like a lot just to add the hyperspace loop and death star shot. The artwork is about equal in quality. The difference in GB was a lot greater to the premium. Still kind of leaning PRO.... hoping to try the Premium at some point in the pgh area.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

After playing both a pro and LE I would agree that the prem/LE feels like a pro and the pro feels like a home model.
That said the positive of SW is the fast layout and seemingly deep code. You get all that with the pro. Can't say I see the added value in the warpspeed ramp at all considering it's just a visual and is not controllable or used in some special mode.
Would go pro with this game

The premium/LE hyperspace ramp comes into play during the game. Shooting the deathstar can have multiple effects. The magnets will grab the ball sometimes during mode selection and then drop it back down the ramp. Other times it will send it around and then feed the flipper lane. During hyperspace multiball you can load balls into the loop to get a bigger multiball. I don't think the pro allows adding balls at all and is just a 2 ball hyperspace multiball. I'll agree it's subtle differences, but there is a difference already and my guess is code will make it a bit more interactive too.

As for feeling empty, it just doesn't feel that way when playing. Everything is a switch and needs to be aimed for. The outlanes, the drops, every stand up jedi target, the loops (each way on each), the ramps, the standups under the screen and even the pops (although I would like to see them). The game is packed full of shots and is coded to use them. I agree the Pro looks empty, but when playing the premium it doesn't feel empty at all to me. It feels like no matter how good of a game I have, then I could have made just one more shot in multiple places to have had a better game. Oh and then add in the multipliers and ability to move them. There is so much going on.

SW is definitely a different feeling and non traditional game, but I'm having a blast with it. I love that it's different from AS, GB and any other game out there. There seems to be a focus on playing the 'game' that is in the code. It's more than just hitting the shots on the playfield, you have to really pay attention to the mode(s) of the game to score big.

I've played some of those home pins (I keep one at the church running), and the SW pro is nothing like them.

Anyway, I think most people that get either SW is going to have a blast with it, but there will be some that just don't like it and that's fine. It's great that there are so many new games from Stern and others that we have a choice to be super picky.

#60 6 years ago

I've spent some time on the pro and le. Imagine how Getaway would feel if the supercharger was removed. I say give them both a try and buy what you like. I happen to prefer the gameplay and excitement on the premium/le version when it comes to SW.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

the pro feels like a home model.

That's just ridiculous.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That's just ridiculous.

If you consider the Spider-Man home model a home model, then yeah, it does a bit. I like the Spider-Man home model game though. Haha.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If you consider the Spider-Man home model a home model, then yeah, it does a bit. I like the Spider-Man home model game though. Haha.

I don't think so but I don't mind that home model Spider-man either.

#64 6 years ago

I think the Premium or the LE is the way to go but "Home Model" Wow that is harsh. Funny but harsh.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I don't think the pro allows adding balls at all and is just a 2 ball hyperspace multiball

not true you can add up to as many on the Pro as LE . Both Games hold 6 balls . I have gotten up to 3 so far. damn inner loop hard to hit under pressure / Shoot up the deathstar / hyperspace inner left loop it locks another rinse and repeat and it only gives you a certain amount of time to add just like the Prem

#66 6 years ago

Both versions are very fun and similar. I currently have a Pro and am on the fence for a Premium. I would just sell the pro and upgrade... I go back and forth with it. Really you can't go wrong with either. Some observations:

1. The pro is faster. Sometimes the Hoth shot is slowed down by the fork ramp on the LE. This isn't necessarily a mark against the LE however since it is nice to have the frantic pace slowed a bit sometimes. The Pro ramps are a bit faster also.

2. Metal Ramps are better. The artwork on the plastics is easier to see on the pro since the ramps are clear. But the metal ramps look soooo much nicer.

3. The cabinet is upgraded compared the pro. Reinforced front leg brackets and cabinet triangle brackets.

4. The pro is easier because the Death Star shot is much easier to backhand.

5. The hyperloop is awesome. I wish it was used more than it is currently but maybe they can code it in more.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

2. Metal Ramps are better.

Always gotta down vote that one

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I like metal ramps.

#69 6 years ago

Quoted from kermit24:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Ok, maybe 'better' is a bad word to use, but I think the metal ramps are better looking at least on SW.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Quoted from kermit24:
Ok, maybe 'better' is a bad word to use, but I think the metal ramps are better looking at least on SW.

As you can see by the downvotes it's never been a popular opinion, but I've always preferred plastic ramps. But true i didn;t even think aboot all the habitrails in the prem...plastic wouldn;t cut the mustard there

#72 6 years ago

Because they can break and discolor over time. That is why they are better. Duhh!

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Why are plastic ramps preferred ?

It really depends on the game and the entrances and exits of the ramps. Metallica, for example, is ramp bliss with its metal ramps. No one in the world could convince me that plastic ramps would better suit that game. TF has metal ramp entrances with plastic returns and feels awesome to hit. Other games like ST or GOT are a hybrid plastic/wireform ramp which work very well - GOT would not work well with metal ramp entrances on the center and right ramp. As for SW; I'd have to play an SW pro again, but for some reason i didnt like the SW metal ramps as much as i remember enjoying the SW pro plastic ramps.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Why are plastic ramps preferred ?

The seem a bit smoother to me...a lot of it probably has to do with the 90s boom going W/B used plastic.

Quoted from ASOA:

Because they can break and discolor over time. That is why they are better. Duhh!

Don't have to worry aboot discoloring much anymore.

#75 6 years ago

What are you talking aboot? Canada A!

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

What are you talking aboot? Canada A!

The heat from incandescent bulbs.

#77 6 years ago

So I played some more LE tonight ... I can see how some like the loop with no ramp. But I will say I feel like it turns that's loop into a different shot so adds to the game . Is it worth the extra $$$ probably not ... but does it add something yes it does .

#78 6 years ago

Hello everyone.. I'm writing you from my honeymoon. I must tell you it is the longest honeymoon I've been on so far. Me and my Star Wars LE are having a great time. I will let you know when we get back.

Take Care!

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

But I will say I feel like it turns that's loop into a different shot so adds to the game

yeah it adds a lift to the habitrail that gets supercharged around a metal ramp (in yo face)that spins in a fast clockwise circle. Can't see how that not adds to the game ! but in the end the same shot . Lol Glots of IM

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

yeah it adds a lift to the habitrail that gets supercharged around a metal ramp (in yo face)that spins in a fast clockwise circle. Can't see how that not adds to the game ! but in the end the same shot . Lol Glots of IM

Well it's def not the same shot ... it's harder and forget backhanding did it once other times rolled back down It is rewarding to hit the shot and have it zip around... again is it worth the extra $$ probably not ... but to ASOAs point neither are any of these games LOL. Index agree with your assement that if you don't like the pro you won't like the LE.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Well it's def not the same shot ... it's harder and forget backhanding did it once other times rolled back down

Myself and others have no trouble backhanding the death star ramp on the LE.

Rob

#82 6 years ago

Yea believe me we tried tweaking things always got almost all the way and back down.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Yea believe me we tried tweaking things always got almost all the way and back down.

We backhanded it a few times but the shot had to be near perfect to not roll back down.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Myself and others have no trouble backhanding the death star ramp on the LE.
Rob

Quoted from MattS:

We backhanded it a few times but the shot had to be near perfect to not roll back down.

which begs to question if flipper coil strength of all premium and le"s and all pros / do you get the same strength ? or depending on Build and fastening to playfields during manufacture have a variance of levels of power . So some can and some will not.
kind of like I feel others have an easier time hitting and activating the battering ram shot on the Game Of Thrones . Some smooth some tough. I need to still adjust my Ram .

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Curious, I was told by a friend they can't imagine the game without the Hyperloop ramp. I'm waiting to play it before I go from Pro to Premium. Looks like at least 2G jump. Not sure if it's worth it. Would love to hear opinions also.

Just imagine the LImited edition.

Now Pretend it has no hyperloop.

It's really not that big a difference.

Except it costs a whole at-at load less loot.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

The pro is exactly the same, it just doesn't have the gimmick or the escape thing that never works right

And it's just as fun.

#86 6 years ago

I see both arguments. When we say that the Premium/LE has specific scoring opportunities that the Pro doesn't, my thought is that it is the point of the design. As much as I would love one playfield with two or three trim/art tiers, Stern has clearly decided to take a different route.

I'm a fan of Star Wars, Stern and Steve Ritchie, but that doesn't mean it is an automatic buy for me. I like plenty of companies and products that don't get $5-9,000 of my money every time they make a product.

For the early adopters, I can totally see the numerous pros and cons to be argued now. I think code and the lower prices of the used market will increase my desire to have one of these.

For me, It's too soon to choose. I played a very early Premium model and enjoyed it. I've played a Pro model once as well. On first impression, both need more code and polish. The Pro feels a little bare and the Premium is a little too pricey for the extras. I think this will be a really great game in about a year.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just imagine the LImited edition.
Now Pretend it has no hyperloop.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And it's just as fun.

My friend was over last night and we played for a couple hours. He wants to buy a SW now and asked about the differences in models and what the prices were. When I explained the pro to him--as well as the price--he immediately said "That's out" when he learned the hyperloop wasn't there and there were plastic ramps. He's looking for an LE but might "settle" for a premium. That's how much more fun the hyperloop is. (But yeah...the pro is still pretty fun!)

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

My friend was over last night and we played for a couple hours. He wants to buy a SW now and asked about the differences in models and what the prices were. When I explained the pro to him--as well as the price--he immediately said "That's out" when he learned the hyperloop wasn't there and there were plastic ramps. He's looking for an LE but might "settle" for a premium. That's how much more fun the hyperloop is. (But yeah...the pro is still pretty fun!)

Hey, it's his $2K, right?

#90 6 years ago

Guys an extra 1,800? it's their money. Let them spend it on whatever they want. How much money do we spend on Mods? Some games I have spent well over 2k just in getting the game to look the way I want it to. Lets not even talk about the money spent in complete referbs. Some things you can't mod into a game like a hyper loop. That is a feature if you want it you are forced to buy the Premium or LE. So at the end of the day buy what makes you happy. Lets just stop talking about a good deal or value it is all relative.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Hey, it's his $2K, right?

...and it was mine, too!

#92 6 years ago

It's simple
I think that if you like the pro, try the prem/LE.
If the first time you make the hyperloop shot you don't get a smile on your face and think "holy shit that's cool!" buy the pro.

#93 6 years ago

Having played a handfull of games on a Pro and an LE, I'd go with the Pro. I generally like more stuff, but the stuff detracts from the speed and flow of the game in this case.

#94 6 years ago

Anyone know of a Premium / LE in the Chicago area? I've only played a Pro and want to compare against the other models.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Next is the wire form ramp in front of the flippers - I don't care who you are, the ramp is abtrusive and in the way. Maybe 30% of the time i didn't notice and/or it didn't bother me, but overall it was very irritating and getting in the way.

I have not had a chance to play either SW models . This statement concerns me as I am very particular . On the LE/ PREM is this an issue you would agree with . From looking at photos the wire form ramp in front of the flippers would seed to be annoying . Thank you for feed back , Peace

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I have not had a chance to play either SW models . This statement concerns me as I am very particular . On the LE/ PREM is this an issue you would agree with . From looking at photos the wire form ramp in front of the flippers would seed to be annoying . Thank you for feed back , Peace

Not really ... unless you decide to focus on it annoying you I don't really notice when playing .

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Not really ... unless you decide to focus on it annoying you I don't really notice when playing .

Agreed, it sort of disappears into the background.
The game is so fast you won't have time to stare at it anyway.

#98 6 years ago

Well like I said, I didn't notice it about 30% of the time. But I like to do a lot of drop catches and that's when I notice it as it messes with my timing. Then I get focused on it and irritates me. Plus there's a lot of side to side movement of the ball in this game which can cause the wireforms to catch your eye. Just my opinion. Maybe I'll have a better experience on it next time I play.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well like I said, I didn't notice it about 30% of the time. But I like to do a lot of drop catches and that's when I notice it as it messes with my timing. Then I get focused on it and irritates me. Plus there's a lot of side to side movement of the ball in this game which can cause the wireforms to catch your eye. Just my opinion. Maybe I'll have a better experience on it next time I play.

For me, it's a total non issue. I don't even think about it and it doesn't bother me at all.

Rob

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You may have OCD, I have it too I actually did focus on it for short time and noticed it, but then I was able to control my OCD and its no big deal! haha. I know you are a much better player than I though.

Really end of the day, pro plays great. I have paid close attention since I am the one who originally posed the question. For me money aside I like the Premium/LE maybe the hyperspace loop is not needed but pinball is all about some sort of toy that manipulates the ball and the pro has zilch, also the wireworm ramps do add a nice flair to the game aesthetically. All that said I think gameplay wise you aren't missing much going pro, I can't think of a game with less of a difference since Star Trek. You even get the great light show! Its really a shame they couldn't have just tossed a magnet in somewhere, "The Force" I think thats all this game needs to be a total smash hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-pro-vs-leprem/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.