Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Hey folks,
Looking for opinions on what I should buy. I am staying mostly at home during Covid and need to decide on a game mostly without playing them.
I want a Stern Spike and I am deciding between Star Wars and GoTG Pro.

My likes are:
SPEED
Flow
Uninhibited orbit shots. (Meaning they whip around ala Iron Man)

I don't like Lawlor pins at all...too stop and go for me.

I've owned a good number of Bally/Williams DMD and my favorites have been, MM, ToM and.....Johnny Mnemonic (awful theme but wow that speed)

I'd love to hear recommendations?

#2 2 years ago

This really comes down to theme preference. Both are fun fast flowing games

#3 2 years ago

Yep, both great... star was has a more complicated rule set. I thought it sucked at first until it didn’t. It’s great. Guardians is a tough shooter but can be flowy if you get in the groove.

Stranger things is another one you would like.

#4 2 years ago

GOTG has a bit more stop and go.

SW is pure speed.

Both have great code and satisfying moments.

I’d get SW, but for you, it’s a toss up depending on what you look for in a game. Slight edge to SW probably.

#5 2 years ago

I actually picked up SW Pro and GOTG Pro a few years ago in a trade. They're both a lot of fun and I don't think you can go wrong with either. That being said, GOTG left about a year ago and I still have my SW Pro. It has great shots, great flow, and really deep code. I don't see it leaving my collection in the foreseeable future.

#6 2 years ago

I have them next to each other. Star Wars flows a ton. That being said, I just bought a ninja turtles pro and it feels twice as fast as either of those two.

If I could only have one of the three from a pure shooters perspective, it would be ninja turtles.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Stranger things is another one you would like.

I forgot to mention....this is on order. Hope to have it next week.

Thanks for the advice folks. This makes it easier. There is a SW Pro from a seller all of 2 miles from my house.

#8 2 years ago

SW Pro.

Because software.

Decision made.

Later,
EV

#9 2 years ago

Star Wars Pro wins here.

#10 2 years ago

Love the Star Trek Premium fun fast and great shots. Love GOTG is fun as well for me but I think Star Trek beats it.

#11 2 years ago

If you like flow you probably should consider tmnt like the post above said. Flow out that WAZOO! SW is probably better in the premium that Hyperloop oh so sweet when you’ve got multiple balls flying around the game! I’ve wanted a GOTG for ages!! So if we’re talking premium I’d take a SW, but a GOTG pro is just as good as a premium

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Love the Star Trek Premium fun fast and great shots. Love GOTG is fun as well for me but I think Star Trek beats it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13 2 years ago

OMG, I've never seen this meme before. Hilarious. Thank you.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 2 years ago

All boils down to whether you want generic Lonnie "random number of different colored lights, per mode" code that's copied and pasted into all his games... or anything better. I'd choose the latter. I love what Dwight did with SW.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

All boils down to whether you want generic Lonnie "random number of different colored lights, per mode" code that's copied and pasted into all his games... or anything better. I'd choose the latter. I love what Dwight did with SW.

Agreed!

Add a shaker and total Pinwoofer system to the SW for extra thrills.

I see SW as a combination of IronMan speed and GOT detailed software. a pretty good combination.
My Prem would be the last to leave the collection.

#16 2 years ago

Tmnt based off your likes. I love Star Wars theme but hated the pin. Super let down and way too cheap of drains.

Gotg we loved with the cleland code. One of our favs but not as much speed as sw pro

#17 2 years ago

SW Pro is my vote...and if there is one for sale 2 minutes from your house that is immediately available.....then it's an absolute no Brainer. Good luck....I just picked up GOTG too in a trade and that's a fun one too.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Thanks for the advice folks. This makes it easier. There is a SW Pro from a seller all of 2 miles from my house.

Definitely jump on that. I have not had much time on GOTG but don't care for it. Songs, movie clips, and gameplay just seem random. Game just does not come together for me. SW seems like a letdown at first but great game once you play it. Definitely has the flow thing and speed.

#19 2 years ago

Based on your preferences, SW would get my vote. It is a tough, fast, deep game that will take a long time to master.

To me, the occasional quick drain is more of a feature than a bug, given that it was designed to be a challenging game; the key point is to allow enough obtainable achievements to avoid feeling wood-choppy and avoid frustrating the player, and I think they did a fantastic job achieving the right balance with this title.

Also, the comic art versions are gorgeous, and I think the Pro is the more attractive of the two.

#20 2 years ago

I played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Star Wars last week for the first time. I enjoyed both games, but was able to get much more flow going with Ninja Turtles. The Ninja Turtles theme does absolutely nothing for me though. From a pure playing perspective, I unexpectedly enjoyed Ninja Turtles more than Star Wars. The Star Wars theme is way more fun for me and the only way I would get Ninja Turtles would be if one was for sale at a super bargain price.

#21 2 years ago

Based off criteria... Star Wars. Made by the king of flow, Steve Ritchie. This is a poor analogy, but in your own personal collection, if you prefer Spiderman more than Transformers, go with Star Wars. Star Wars is faster, Star Wars is deeper, and Star Wars has less stop and go with the exception of selecting which mission you want... frequently.

As an aside, I understand you are trying to stay COVID isolated. Not too far from you in Frederick Maryland there is a place called Spinners that has a ton of pins including a Star Wars pro and Guardians pro. It is more of a family place, and if you showed up on a Friday at 1300 when it opened (and school was still in session) it would be about empty.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Based off criteria... Star Wars. Made by the king of flow, Steve Ritchie. This is a poor analogy, but in your own personal collection, if you prefer Spiderman more than Transformers, go with Star Wars. Star Wars is faster, Star Wars is deeper, and Star Wars has less stop and go with the exception of selecting which mission you want... frequently.
As an aside, I understand you are trying to stay COVID isolated. Not too far from you in Frederick Maryland there is a place called Spinners that has a ton of pins including a Star Wars pro and Guardians pro. It is more of a family place, and if you showed up on a Friday at 1300 when it opened (and school was still in session) it would be about empty.

Yeah, Spinners is on my to-do list. I get my 2nd vax shot next week so I will be more comfortable going out (with a mask still) in about 10 days. But I just have this itch to get a new machine now. I have this terrible instant gratification issue I ordered a Stranger Things but it won't be here for another week or so and I am struggling to cope

I used to go through pins like they were M&Ms. I'd buy a pin, refurb the daylights out of it (strip to the wood, buff PF, clean all parts, sometimes cabinet decals etc...)

About 10 years ago, with the arrival of my 2nd kid, I pretty much stopped because I didn't have time for that. I transitioned my Bally/Williams pins to Stern and been stuck with the same collection and now that collection has gotten pretty stale. Where I used to have MM, MB, CV, ToM and a rotating Stern in my collection, I went with Spider-Man, Iron Man, Transformers Pro and BDK. I love IM, Spider-Man is ok except that the orbits don't flow. BDK and TF Pro I've gotten bored of.

The BDK is leaving for Stranger Things. And I want to move the TF Pro for Star Wars (this thread was pretty convincing)

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Yeah, Spinners is on my to-do list. I get my 2nd vax shot next week so I will be more comfortable going out (with a mask still) in about 10 days. But I just have this itch to get a new machine now. I have this terrible instant gratification issue I ordered a Stranger Things but it won't be here for another week or so and I am struggling to cope
I used to go through pins like they were M&Ms. I'd buy a pin, refurb the daylights out of it (strip to the wood, buff PF, clean all parts, sometimes cabinet decals etc...)
About 10 years ago, with the arrival of my 2nd kid, I pretty much stopped because I didn't have time for that. I transitioned my Bally/Williams pins to Stern and been stuck with the same collection and now that collection has gotten pretty stale. Where I used to have MM, MB, CV, ToM and a rotating Stern in my collection, I went with Spider-Man, Iron Man, Transformers Pro and BDK. I love IM, Spider-Man is ok except that the orbits don't flow. BDK and TF Pro I've gotten bored of.
The BDK is leaving for Stranger Things. And I want to move the TF Pro for Star Wars (this thread was pretty convincing)

SW is a great game and I sold mine too early someone just offered me too much $$ for it so it left. I still think it would’ve left as all the modes feel very same same. I can’t remember the modes but for instances there’s a hoth and tatooine mode that EXACTLY the same. Hit the ramps to build them up and then the hyperspace loop to finish it. Stack those and you’ve downed two modes for the EXACT same shots! The hyperspace loop is a must so you might want a premium as it’s super satisfying getting to see all those balls whizz around the loop. I still enjoy playing one and do felt like I sold too early and want it back but in saying that I feel like if I got it back it wouldn’t be for too long.

#24 2 years ago

Guardians. I have never been able to get into Star Wars.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

. I still think it would’ve left as all the modes feel very same same....

This is funny because the modes are all so diff'rent.

#26 2 years ago

The correct answer is Star Wars Pro.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-pro-vs-gotg-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.