• 32 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by twinmice
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg
SWLE Death Star fork metal bent ramp (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Curious of the reasons why some people settled with the pro instead of the premium? Obviously money, but looking for positives for pro against premium or vise versa. I know there are already a ton of threads, but opinions are scattered in the thousands of posts. Thanks Mike

#2 6 years ago

Money and some don't care for the hyper ramp

Quoted from twinmice:

Curious of the reasons why some people settled with the pro instead of the premium? Obviously money, but looking for positives for pro against premium or vise versa. I know there are already a ton of threads, but opinions are scattered in the thousands of posts. Thanks Mike

#3 6 years ago

Money and I don't care for the hyper ramp.

Premiums are rarely worth it to me, and this one seems on the low end of premiums. Especially when it comes to things like cab art... I wouldn't pay 100 for diff'rent cab art if I had the choice so that's a non factor

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Money and I don't care for the hyper ramp.

Aside from art, is that the only difference?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

Aside from art, is that the only difference?

Hmmm.... Oh no the premium has a ball save shooter lane feeder which is kind of neat and old school. That's all I can think of though off hand
Oh haha... The incredible opening egg, death star,.... Yeah um no thanks on that

#6 6 years ago

because the add ons don't justify the costs. You really don't get a whole hell of a lot for the extra 2k. Many games are like this. There are a ton of games where you can get away with the pro and not really miss out on anything. And some games like MET. the pro is better because they have some large ass object in your way.

#7 6 years ago

I own the LE, and I think I've seen the death star open once in the months I've owned it- not very well implemented overall. However, i do enjoy the hyper loop ramp; it's just a pretty tough shot to consistently nail.
Overall, not sure the Premium/LE offers enough extras to justify the added expense over the Pro.

#8 6 years ago

the premium/LE is dramatically harder due to the steepness of the death star ramp and how important that shot is to scoring. it's in many modes, hyperloops, and deathstar itself. it's very difficult to destroy the death star. very. especially on a standard setup '6.5' pitch.

i'm surprised at how easy the decision is for star wars pro over premium. the redundance of two of the features being the exact same shot is weird and deters from the premium. it's an odd choice. the game itself though, in any trim, is awesome. can't go wrong. just be prepared for more challenge and lower scores if you go prem/le

#9 6 years ago

It makes no objective financial sense to go Premium over Pro. From a pure "value" standpoint (dollar to materials), go Pro.

I still like the Premium more though. The hyper loop ramp is a lot of fun. The death star ramp does add some extra difficulty, but I don't find a pin being more challenging to be a downside. I don't find it so much harder that it is frustrating to play, as long as it is adjusted so you don't get bounce back rejects.

I am biased though, I always tend towards the Premiums. If it helps I am an average player at best, don't enter tournaments, etc. so for me the personal fun factor outweighs most other considerations. If at all possible, play both before deciding. I didn't, there was a Pro locally that I played, but for Premium/LE I watched a lot of videos, asked some people whose tastes were similar to mine who had the LE what they thought and went from there. Don't regret it myself. YMMV.

#10 6 years ago

Same rules, same drop targets, a touch less brutal, same multi-color GI. Hyper loop is really cool but not worth the 2k to me.

#11 6 years ago

I just sold my Pro so I can upgrade to the Premium. For me the hyperloop shot is worth it.

#12 6 years ago

I have played both, just can't decide if I really want/need the hyper loop??

#13 6 years ago

The hyperloop either gives people a big adrenaline rush or it doesn’t. Play it and hit the loop at least a couple times. If the loop is meh then go pro. The rest of the differences are pretty trivial from a players experience standpoint — although I do like the Premium translite the best by far.

#14 6 years ago

Hyperloop is absolutely not worth it. Game play is actually worse with it...

#15 6 years ago

Disagree. The hyperloop is awesome! It’s a hard shot, but that’s OK!

#16 6 years ago

Bought a pro and sold it to buy a premium. The hyper ramp adds so much to this game, def worth it (at least to me)

#17 6 years ago

Undecided, but leaning toward a used Pro.

I would like a Star Wars, but I’m not ready yet. After initially owning several LEs and Premiums as this concept began, I have changed my thoughts. I first looked at it as Premium/LE all the way unless I can find a good reason. More recently, I think Pro all the way unless I can find a compelling reason to upgrade.
Here are my two main reasons:

1. Costs have risen to quite a bit in the last few year. New and used Pros retain a higher percentage of their value on resale (less money lost).

2. The Premium/LEs sometimes have additional features that seem cool, but aren’t all that fun.

We’ve all seen the rumors that some designers design the Pro first and then add for the LE (John Borg). Conversely, some design the LE first and remove stuff for the Pro (Steve Ritchie). I’m not sure I’ve ever read or heard one of them say that. Disagreement seems to be pretty even with Pinside collectors. Just look at the replies in this thread.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I have played both, just can't decide if I really want/need the hyper loop??

Twin Mice, I own the Premium and have posted a video about the artwork, specs, game play, and rules on my YouTube Channel. I bought the Prem for the hyperloop and also the art package. In my opinion, I enjoy all those things to own the Prem over a Pro or an LE. If you want to check out the video click below.

3 weeks later
#19 6 years ago

I think I'm going with a Premium!

#20 6 years ago

I'll go with the faster pro

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from powerslave:

I'll go with the faster pro

#22 6 years ago

If you can swing it, always go premium.

If you dont you'll spend alot of time online trying to rationalize why stripped down games are better.

#23 6 years ago

I'm a fairly budget conscience guy who has a really hard time with the stretch towards the cost of a premium on any machine. Additionally, we are significant Star Wars fans in this household; yes even the wife. Last year as a family we played the pro for an evening and left disappointed to the point that I wasn't sure if we'd ever even own a SW pin. Then late last year I was able to play a premium for an evening and it changed my opinion immensely. Again, as other's have said, it's all about personal preference. You really need to try both and see what suits you. For me personally I either was going to have the premium or just not purchase the new Stern SW and I ended up buying a premium just after Christmas. Myself and the kids love the hyperloop. It's not easy to hit due to the ramp and makes you feel awesome when you do. The force ball save feature is nice as is the lit up falcon and stainless ramps over plastic. If you are looking for "are you getting your money's worth" with the pro to premium you're not likely to find such reason. It's more of an immaterial preference IMO.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

If you can swing it, always go premium.
If you dont you'll spend alot of time online trying to rationalize why stripped down games are better.

The 3k I saved buying the pro bought me a very nice Mousin Around

#25 6 years ago

I think the difference is around 1800 bucks

#26 6 years ago

I bought a little Millennium Falcon from Amazon for $4 and boom ..... made my SW pro into a premium (that's all it needed for me)

There's a pattern to this with me as well:

I had the same thought when buying my GB Pro ... picked up a 3D Library and boom ....premium

Here comes TWD Pro .... picked up the fishtank light mod and boom ..... premium

Who's knocking at the door .... hey, its GotG Pro ... will get some 3D Groot hands whenever someone makes them and boom .... premium

My Avatar Pro *..... put a ceramic TZ ball in it and a $10 Banshi figure off ebay..... boom boom ..... premium

*Avatar was only released as a pro back in the olden days .. the LE was announced later

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because the add ons don't justify the costs. You really don't get a whole hell of a lot for the extra 2k. Many games are like this. There are a ton of games where you can get away with the pro and not really miss out on anything. And some games like MET. the pro is better because they have some large ass object in your way.

I started buying Pros because of cost and a lot of time the features don’t work well on the premium games compared to the pro.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Pro $9,780 NZ Prem $12,850 NZ LE $15,100 NZ

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I am a Limited Edition buyer always have been. The $$1,800 is not my concern . The Hyperloop is cool . It Is the (Fork Ramp) that I do not like the engineering of it at all. It makes the shot a pain in the ass . and the game is hard enough . I Like the Hyper loop . Do not like the feeding ( Fork Ramp ) to get into the Hyper-Loop . I feel it is a design flaw. I am leaning for the first STERN Pro do to fun factor and better game play . In my opinion . not $$ but game play .

SWLE Death Star fork metal bent ramp (resized).jpgSWLE Death Star fork metal bent ramp (resized).jpg

QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpgQUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

Something to say ??

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I am a Limited Edition buyer always have been. The $$1,800 is not my concern . The Hyperloop is cool . It Is the (Fork Ramp) that I do not like the engineering of it at all. It makes the shot a pain in the ass . and the game is hard enough . I Like the Hyper loop . Do not like the feeding ( Fork Ramp ) to get into the Hyper-Loop . I feel it is a design flaw. I am leaning for the first STERN Pro do to fun factor and better game play . In my opinion . not $$ but game play .

It does seem like they should have gone with a thicker steel to reduce or eliminate the bending.

1 month later
#32 6 years ago

Still on the fence, waiting for another update to see if it clears up some issues people are having.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-pro-owners-why-not-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.