Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6113 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Playfield still looks great, though it's dimpling as expected.
No cabinet or insert issues.

I swapped the Stern balls out for Silverjets today, and wiped down the playfield with a microfiber.
No Novus #2 yet - I understand it's abrasive so I want to hold off. Anything I should use in the interim?

Still loving the gameplay, but I do have some nits.

1. The Mystery trap/ejector very_ frequently chucks the ball STDM. I'm running all defaults on 0.89, anyone recommend a change here?

2. The left drain pisses me off like you wouldn't believe! And yes, the game is level (I've triple checked it.)

Pins are a fun hobby, as it turns out!

#2 2 years ago

You can adjust the power of the right eject in the adjustments menu, then Star Wars adjustments, default is 40 I turned mine down to 30 and it fixed it

#3 2 years ago

500 games played already! How long have you had the machine for?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No Novus #2 yet

Not needed unless there's something you can't get out with dry or #1

Quoted from zaphX:

wiped down the playfield with a microfiber.

Dry? Were there any ball trails forming yet?

Quoted from zaphX:

The left drain pisses me off like you wouldn't believe! And yes, the game is level (I've triple checked it.)

In the audits, it should give counts for left vs right outlane drains, I'd be curious to see how they compare

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

500 games played already! How long have you had the machine for?

A week

Quoted from zacaj:

Not needed unless there's something you can't get out with dry or #1

Dry? Were there any ball trails forming yet?

In the audits, it should give counts for left vs right outlane drains, I'd be curious to see how they compare

Yeah just wiped it dry. It seemed plenty slick - no trails. I will dump the stats to USB before my next firmware update and share them.

#6 2 years ago

Carnuba wax

#7 2 years ago

Clean your playfield with Novus 1. Spray the Novus on the micro fiber cloth first and then wipe the playfield. If you have ball trails clean them off with Novus 2. Novus 2 is not going to hurt your playfield by the way but no need to use it if Novus 1 cleans it good enough. After the playfield is cleaned wax with a 100% carnuba wax..........see vids playfield cleaning tips. Buffalo pinball on YouTube also has a nice cleaning tutorial that you can watch and get some good ideas. Congrats on your new game!

#8 2 years ago

You really played your game 500 times in a week. You played your game 70 times a day , 7 days in a row , everyday ? Talk about committed...LOL How many hours a day are you playing ? I can play a few games a day, and thats about it. I love the game, but ...damn man.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

You really played your game 500 times in a week. You played your game 70 times a day , 7 days in a row , everyday ? Talk about committed...LOL How many hours a day are you playing ? I can play a few games a day, and thats about it. I love the game, but ...damn man.

Obviously those 500 are short games... One question: How much has your replay score changed from factory setting over the 500 games? I know on MMR, the replay score changes based on recent game scores.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

How many hours a day are you playing

Knowing my average game of Star Wars, 70 games would take about 70 minutes...

#11 2 years ago

Awesome! How far have you been able to get in the game? I asked the Star Wars Club thread about the right eject power settings and the consensus was to set it at 30. That has really helped mine not drain SDTM, if you leave the left flipper down.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

Awesome! How far have you been able to get in the game? I asked the Star Wars Club thread about the right eject power settings and the consensus was to set it at 30. That has really helped mine not drain SDTM, if you leave the left flipper down.

I will set this tonight and report back.

Quoted from modfather:You really played your game 500 times in a week. You played your game 70 times a day , 7 days in a row , everyday ? Talk about committed...LOL How many hours a day are you playing ? I can play a few games a day, and thats about it. I love the game, but ...damn man.

I play an hour or two a day maybe - and yes the games are brutally short. My wife played it a lot too. I find it has a very addictive quality, a big "just one more try" component.

#14 2 years ago

Personally, I stopped waxing the playfield many pins ago. I don't think there's any need to.
Wipe it with a cloth and a little Novus 1.
Secondly, those Silverjet balls aren't supposed to be used in a pin with magnets.
You may eventually notice that they become magnetized. This might lead to issues in the ball trough.
Nothing serious, but they stick together, and ejecting them to the shooter lane may start to become a challenge.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Personally, I stopped waxing the playfield many pins ago. I don't think there's any need to.
Secondly, those Silverjet balls aren't supposed to be used in a pin with magnets.
You may eventually notice that they become magnetized. This might lead to issues in the ball trough.
Nothing serious, but they stick together, and ejecting them to the shooter lane may start to become a challenge.

good thing there are not any magnets in a star wars pro by stern

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

good thing there are not any magnets in a star wars pro by stern

Aha! Well done. I was thinking of the hyperspace warp drive system.
Apologies. Enjoy the silver jets!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

2. The left drain pisses me off like you wouldn't believe! And yes, the game is level (I've triple checked it.)

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I spent at least 30 minutes trying to figure out if I had leveled the game wrong. I kept thinking I was nuts, thanks to the level bubble staring at me between those two lines so smugly centered. I had one game where literally launched right into the left drain, got saved, then drained again before I even get a chance to hit it twice!

I'm interested to see what others logs look like compared to yours regarding drains.

52 LEFT DRAINS 298
53 CENTER DRAINS 1041
54 RIGHT DRAINS 237

#18 2 years ago

I finally broke down and stretched a small rubber between the adjustable post and the static one for the left side just to see if it will give the ball some nudgeability in that corner.

IMG_6113 (resized).JPG

Too bad it hasn't even touched that rubber yet so I can confirm that it works.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

100% agree with this. Use premium balls and change them out whenever you feel comfortable, 1000 plays or so for me.

Wipe it down like you are doing, I use some liquid concoction that RobT turned me onto.

Maybe wax after 3-5k plays or if you notice balls trails and pf getting F ed up.

And get yourself a dust cover so it stays cleaner!

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I finally broke down and stretched a small rubber between the adjustable post and the static one for the left side just to see if it will give the ball some nudgeability in that corner.

Too bad it hasn't even touched that rubber yet.

Why did you not just close in the out lane post?

#21 2 years ago

And make the game easier?!?
Pfft, not on my watch!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

And make the game easier?!?
Pfft, not on my watch!

I thought that's what you have done, by changing the rubber band.
ANYWAY...
I did close in the posts, and I feel that the game becomes a little too easy -so I commend your decision.

Not sure about the rest of you guys; have you set limits to the number of extra balls that can be earned?
I don't have them all understood yet, but seems as though you can earn from from completing each "mode 4" for each planet, but you have to finish it. Ie: for Death Star, you actually have to defeat the death star.
Note: I'm not certain that this is accurate. Just my belief at the moment.

Thoughts?

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

What about when it rains or on those blazing sunny days?

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

What about when it rains or on those blazing sunny days?

Not certain what you're making reference to, but I have my suspicions, which is why I avoided saying "waxing MY playfield".

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I thought that's what you have done, by changing the rubber band.

Technically, I made it harder since the adjustable post rubber was originally of a larger diameter. (e.g. sticks out more...)

The problem with the left lane is that there is really no well placed rubber to ricochet off of after it hits the top left edge of the sling to help bring it back into play.

It kinda just goes dead in that corner and drains.
(This was with the stock black rubber btw...)

I guess I can also try raising the adjustable post up to the top position (with the stock single rubber) and instead, stretch a rubber across to the bottom post of the drop target bank from the post just above the adjustable one.
It might help things more than my current setup while still keeping the left drain brutal but, at least the ball can rebound a bit better if you manage to graze it with the inlane/outlane post.
(See right side of X-Men for an example...)

Quoted from Chambahz:

Not sure about the rest of you guys; have you set limits to the number of extra balls that can be earned?

If you turn your mode stacking to OFF it won't ever be a problem getting too many extra balls.

Most people are lucky to get even one here.
"Look Ma' I'm playing SW for longer than 3 minutes!"

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Not certain what you're making reference to, but I have my suspicions, which is why I avoided saying "waxing MY playfield".

Just sarcasm. Was referring to waxing a car, not a playfield.

#27 2 years ago

I don't wax my playfields that often anymore, but it's not a bad idea for older modern games. With the newer stuff, just keep them clean and change out any balls that are showing wear.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Just sarcasm. Was referring to waxing a car, not a playfield.

So, NOT a "dolphin" then?

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

With the newer stuff, just keep them clean and change out any balls that are showing wear.

I rarely even change out balls. I polish them often though. I little mag wheel polish and a buffing wheel and they look and play like new again.

Quoted from Chambahz:

So, NOT a "dolphin" then?

No dolphin. If I put wax on a new playfield it more to appease my OCD. I think it creates more a mess than anything else.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Why did you not just close in the out lane post?

I did notice that it looks adjustable, and I've considered it more than once.

I'm somewhat averse to changing the rules; I want my scores to be meaningful. That said, it's my game and if I get annoyed enough I will do it.

I did decrease the Mystery kickout to 30 and that has reduced the violent center drains.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I did notice that it looks adjustable, and I've considered it more than once.
I'm somewhat averse to changing the rules; I want my scores to be meaningful. That said, it's my game and if I get annoyed enough I will do it.
I did decrease the Mystery kickout to 30 and that has reduced the violent center drains.

Absolutely if this os your first pin (and only pin), I would suggest that you leave the outlane posts where they are. If it's tough, SUCK IT UP!!!!
The worst thing I ever did playing Doom was discover the "unlimited ammo" code. If the game continues to be a challenge, you're much more likely to love it forever. Too easy and you'll get bored.

#32 2 years ago

Yes, first and only pin.

I really don't like losing to forces out of my control.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yes, first and only pin.

Ah, young Padiwan...
If you never miss a shot, you will almost always stay in control (the exception being when you hit a force target, or the tie fighter, for example).
You HAVE to learn to practice nudging. I've had pins for around 4 years now, and I still suck at it, but from time to time it helps save a drain.
Get on it!

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yes, first and only pin.

This is why pinball is so addicting. There is a HUGE amount of skill, but that randomness thrown in...the adreline rushes and the desire to hit the start button one more time...never gets old. Frustrating, but never old. Enjoy the ride!

#35 2 years ago

Finally got a billion point game! One shot shy of blowing up the Death Star, argh!

I am so tempted to put my wife's hair ties over those $#@$@# side drains.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside