“Star Wars Premium vs Elvira HoH Premium”

• Elvira HoH Premium 41 votes
    62%
  • Star Wars Premium 25 votes
    38%

(66 votes)

#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

For a while a now I’ve been thinking about buying an Elvira HoH Premium but lately I’ve been thinking about getting a Star Wars Premium instead. (I have not played either)

Reasons for this ...

1. My last pin was/is The Hobbit. So I’ve been playing a pin with long ball times for quite some time (the entire COVID outbreak). Also, I think generally I enjoy short ball time pins more.

2. While I like Elviras style, and have always wanted Elvira and the PM, and SS, before HoH was even announced, I’ve been a huge Star Wars fan my whole life. I think the theme would help keep it around for longer (I only own one pin at a time).

3. While I haven’t played either, Star Wars seems to remind me of one of my favourite games, White Water ... in terms of speed and punishing you if you don’t make the shots. Is this far to say?

4. People always want to talk about the house in HoH. I really don’t care about this (and I don’t care if Star Wars lacks toys).

I’m interested to get your thoughts. I know Star Wars is not the most loved pin around but please kindly consider the above before giving your recommendations.

Thank you so much for providing your feedback!

#2 3 years ago

I didn't like Star Wars at first. I didn't play it again until a year's worth of updates were made. I was completely hooked after that. I wound up getting a used LE and have been addicted ever since.

Star Wars will completely piss you off if you aren't into precision shooting and thinking fast on your feet. This kind of game does not appeal to all players. I am not saying that is a good or bad thing ... everyone has different tastes. Star Wars should have been designed for a broader audience in my opinion given the theme, but, for selfish reasons, I am beyond thrilled with the way it turned out since it's the kind of pinball I love.

Here's a rundown of why I love the game (in no particular order) :

*The entire risk/reward scheme with the multipliers is awesome.

*The hyperloop is one of the coolest toys in pinball ... especially during hyperspace multiball.

*You have to like playing pinball physically ... the game forces you to learn how to nudge ... a lot.

*I typically dislike video modes, but the one in SW is great ... it's even better if you're using your multipliers and want to score big when you light video mode (or if you're Han or Leia and need to run through it on Hoth I).

*You're almost forced to come up with strategies to stack multiballs with modes and the like if you want to score big

*Blowing up the Death Star (the first death star, not the ROTJ/Endor one) is a challenge ... you feel like you really did destroy it once you do it . You want to jump up and down and cheer every single time you pull it off .

*The AV stuff is integrated nicely.

*The lighting effects for lightsaber battle are almost impossible to get sick of.

*The flickering lights for Escape from Boba Fett are awesome (playing that mode in the dark is a challenge in and of itself)
Even bashing the button to blow up tie fighters is fun (I thought this was ridiculous at first)!

*I get pissed off every single time I play it (pissed in a good way cause I want to play it again immediately regardless of how well I did) . In fact, I can hear my six year old playing it right now and yelling at it .

*It is much, much faster than Whitewater.

I like Elvira HoH, but Star Wars is awesome if you're into what I described. Make sure you get a premium or LE though (LE doesn't offer anything more than a premium offers) ... also, be sure to check out the newer "comic" artwork package of the premium ... more people seem to prefer it (I like the original art, but I am in the minority).

One final note ... as far as toys are concerned, there are literally millions of toys you can add to the playfield ... while I wish there were more/better animated toys, that becomes less of a factor once you get into the game itself .

If I had a complaint, it's that they need more Jabba the Hutt!

I hope this helps .

#3 3 years ago

Star Wars . I’ve played Elvira and it kind of bored me . Star Wars is deep with many modes and characters , perfect for the home environment , esp if you’re a SW fan . I’ve owned Star Wars Premium since November and I still look forward to playing it . It plays fast and is very unforgiving . It will make a better player out of you .

#4 3 years ago

I have them both. I play Star Wars more but like Elvira slightly better. To me it sounds like you’re leaning towards Star Wars. That John Williams sound track is incredible. It isn’t a bad choice. Elvira does have longer ball times and much more variety when it comes to music and sound clips. Star Wars is good but it is all Star Wars all the time. I think they will be both desirable games down the road. There really isn’t a bad choice.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the opinions. It’s funny, almost everyone that votes SW posted, but nobody is giving reasoning for Elvira.

#6 3 years ago

Megadeth covered SW pretty well. It's fast and brutal with a fantastic light show and terrific sound design. I'd normally say Elvira is the better pin, but reading your comments makes me think SW would be the better fit. HoH is definitely slower and longer ball times. It's a buttery shooter that has a theme I love, so it would be my choice, but of you want something totally different from the Hobbit, HoH probably isn't it.

#7 3 years ago

Just traded a Star Wars premium for around $5600. You’ll definitely save if you go for a used star Wars compared to Elvira which will be around $7000-7500

As to which is better?? That’s where you need to spend some time on both games and determine which theme/style you like.

#8 3 years ago

If you want faster and more challenging, go star wars. To me, the better game is elvira Though

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

It’s funny, almost everyone that votes SW posted, but nobody is giving reasoning for Elvira.

Lyman Sheets

#10 3 years ago

Eh, I owned a B66, I wasn’t as impressed as others.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11 3 years ago

SW Prem/LE hands down.
I’m a huge SW fan Like yourself, and I must admit, I was disappointed with it (Pro) when it first came out. Fast forward to late last year when I got to play a SW Prem - it blew me away (it’s fast, brutal & damn fun. Couldn’t stop pressing the start button). I fell in love with it and immediately put an order in for a SW Comic Art Prem - which got unboxed and setup two weeks ago. Let’s just say the other machines remain off. My wife, myself and our daughter love playing it. If you truly want / like shorter ball times, fast gameplay, like SW, then the answer is quite simple

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Star Wars will completely piss you off if you aren't into precision shooting and thinking fast on your feet. This kind of game does not appeal to all players. I am not saying that is a good or bad thing ... everyone has different tastes. Star Wars should have been designed for a broader audience in my opinion given the theme, but, for selfish reasons, I am beyond thrilled with the way it turned out since it's the kind of pinball I love.
*You have to like playing pinball physically ... the game forces you to learn how to nudge ... a lot.

So you're saying Star Wars is similar to TWD? I'm always pissed at it because it's brutal, and I'm constantly shaking the machine around to avoid drains...

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Eh, I owned a B66, I wasn’t as impressed as others.

I agree 100% with you. Elvira, however, is on an entirely different level.

I use to own a Star Wars Pro. The one thing that Elvira is missing is the excitement that is Star Wars and I love games like that...IMDN, IM, etc. Other than that, Elvira is a vastly superior game in terms of code and depth.

#14 3 years ago

I love both themes - but I like the music more in Elvira and I'm not a big fan of the multiplier rules in Star Wars . It all comes down to personal preference , I don't think you could go wrong with either .

#15 3 years ago

I owned both. Love HOH, got rid of Star Wars. Huge Star Wars fan, literally half my basement storage is boxes of Star Wars stuff from my childhood and lots of decor scattered around the house. I bought Star Wars against my better judgement mainly due to the theme but also due to some of the positive reviews. I worried that it wasn't going to be my kind of game, and it wasn't. I don't mind a challenge, but for me this game was simply not enjoyable. Every positive review for it includes two words: 'fast' and 'brutal'. Believe them. I had hoped they were exaggerating - they weren't. In addition, I personally found the video mode annoying and boring and far too frequent and the multiplier rules do absolution nothing for me. Well, nothing positive, anyway. The Death Star shot could have been implemented better too, IMO. Even with all of this, I would likely have kept the game if the theme integration was better, but the game felt very generic and did not really seem very Star Wars-y to me. Sure, you could attach a bunch of little Star Wars ships from one of the board games all over it, but that doesn't cut it for me. The Death Star mech on the premium and LE probably would be OK, but ideally you want something that comes into play more frequently to help draw you in. Yeah, seeing the clips was nice and hearing the music was nifty too, but I own the movies so I don't need to play pinball if I want those things.

On the other hand, HOH had no interest for me when I heard about it. I only played EATPM a couple times and although I owned a Scared Stiff for a while, I barely ever played it. "Horror" themes don't do much for me, and when I heard they were doing another Elvira game I found myself wondering "Why?" However, once I played it I found it to be quite fun and Lyman's code updates have been making it better and better. I was always a big MST3K fan and this game felt very much like that which was much different than what I was expecting. I really enjoy the humor, and there feels like a lot of different things to do. Is it easy? Yeah, certainly more so that Star Wars. But I guess I prefer a fun experience with great theme integration to something that just punishes me.

But that's the thing about life: everyone likes something different. Star Wars didn't float my boat and against the odds, Elvira is turned out to be very enjoyable for me; plenty of people will agree and plenty will disagree. There's no right or wrong answer, just the one that works best for you. Based on how you described yourself and what you like, I'd say you should go with Star Wars. I think it will check all your boxes. For what it's worth, the Star Wars I had was a premium and even though it didn't necessarily make the most sense in terms of theme, the hyper loop was super cool and I'd recommend getting a premium or LE so you have that. Best of luck, and hope you enjoy whatever you wind up with!

#16 3 years ago

Again, I really appreciate all the detailed replies. I have read and RE-read every sentence.

Question: How much more fast and punishing is SW versus White Water? I think WW is pretty much the peak of my tolerance level in terms of difficulty.

#17 3 years ago

I’d also look over the pinsider reviews for games you are interested in.
I like to keep track of Caucasian2step’s reviews as well. He gives nice detailed reviews on a huge variety of pins and will go back and update them, as code and as his time playing them increases...

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Question: How much more fast and punishing is SW versus White Water? I think WW is pretty much the peak of my tolerance level in terms of difficulty.

I haven't owned either of the games, but I've played both of them at friends' places and on location enough. I think SW is a much faster game than WW. But in terms of the "punishment" factor in the shots on each game, I think they're about equal. However, in my opinion, WW's punishment comes from when you miss a shot and SW's punishment feels more unfair.... if that makes any sense.

In terms of the original question, I'd have to agree with most others. SW will have more lasting appeal, and it's a much better bang for your buck.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Hmmm....interesting. SW is 10x as fast, but kind of more forgiving due to it's open PF. WW Is much more cramped, and isn't really mode based like SW is. So ummm.....I have no idea how to compare the 2

#20 3 years ago

In terms of shear brutality, Star Wars is more brutal than Whitewater but less brutal than Iron Man. I would compare it to Tron in speed and difficulty. But much deeper.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I didn't like Star Wars at first. I didn't play it again until a year's worth of updates were made. I was completely hooked after that. I wound up getting a used LE and have been addicted ever since.
Here's a rundown of why I love the game (in no particular order) :
*The entire risk/reward scheme with the multipliers is awesome.
*The hyperloop is one of the coolest toys in pinball ... especially during hyperspace multiball.
*I typically dislike video modes, but the one in SW is great ... it's even better if you're using your multipliers and want to score big when you light video mode (or if you're Han or Leia and need to run through it on Hoth I).
*You're almost forced to come up with strategies to stack multiballs with modes and the like if you want to score big
*Blowing up the Death Star (the first death star, not the ROTJ/Endor one) is a challenge ... you feel like you really did destroy it once you do it . You want to jump up and down and cheer every single time you pull it off .
*The AV stuff is integrated nicely.
*The lighting effects for lightsaber battle are almost impossible to get sick of.
*The flickering lights for Escape from Boba Fett are awesome (playing that mode in the dark is a challenge in and of itself)
Even bashing the button to blow up tie fighters is fun (I thought this was ridiculous at first)!
*I get pissed off every single time I play it (pissed in a good way cause I want to play it again immediately regardless of how well I did) . In fact, I can hear my six year old playing it right now and yelling at it .
*It is much, much faster than Whitewater.
I like Elvira HoH, but Star Wars is awesome if you're into what I described. Make sure you get a premium or LE though (LE doesn't offer anything more than a premium offers) ... also, be sure to check out the newer "comic" artwork package of the premium ... more people seem to prefer it (I like the original art, but I am in the minority).
One final note ... as far as toys are concerned, there are literally millions of toys you can add to the playfield ... while I wish there were more/better animated toys, that becomes less of a factor once you get into the game itself .
If I had a complaint, it's that they need more Jabba the Hutt!
I hope this helps .

Well said. I had the opportunity to buy a new pin around 6 months ago and could have bought anything was considering Maiden, Jurassic Park, BM66, DP premium, I believe Elvira was just coming out this time so I did not have any idea but wasn't sold on the theme or the initial gameplay. I have since then got a chance to play Elvira but wasn't that impressed but could have been early code.

Long story short, I had played SW here and there and was on location so this and that wasn't working 100% or wasn't dialed in (I mean the hyper loop would sometimes not work). anyway let me say the hyper loop is the best toy (imo) in pinball and I have had a lot of great pins. Initially when I played SW and was completely lost with the moving X shot and confounded I didn't know what-all also to me having stacking missions is a mistake (there is an option to turn this off in the menu which I do). I guess the combination of improving code and the fact that I grew to understand the rules so I really wanted to and did get SW premiums (comic). I really considered the SW pro and I love the pro comic but the hyperloop steals the show. It's so fun to hit the hyper hurry-up and the hyper multi ball. I have not even destroyed the death star (I was tempted to take the glass off but I wanted to earn it fair and square).

Anyway I am not saying Elvira is bad but to me SW is the ultra grail pin theme (I saw in theatre in 1977 I was 12 years old). And the pinball makes use of full movie clips and voice call outs. It surpasses everything I could have expected.

SW is super deep I have only completed a small portion of what is possible.

SW is super fast the ball can return lightning fast not just from hitting the stand up targets but from the horseshoe loop.

The game is not brimming with toys but the hyperloop is epic..

I know it's difficult to understand at first and a lot of people don't like the mega multipliers like 40x shot but (imo) it's great for a change of pace. I don't want every game to have this type of rules but one game is fine and it can really get you pumped to make a 48M point shot (some have made shots worth much more than that).

I also love this tutorial (it's the pro version) but great to learn the rules if you haven't seen it before.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
12,222 (OBO)
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 10.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-premium-vs-elvira-hoh-premium?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.