Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch (resized).jpg
20190605_093936 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm confused. I seem to be getting random Ball Saves while I have a ball in play ....then another ball is ejected onto the play field and I'm then playing with 2 balls. Is there another way to get a ball save other than draining? Is this a code or ruleset I'm not picking up on here or is this a bug or feature I can toggle on or off.

#2 4 years ago

Hmmm... so you got caught playing with 2 balls. Sorry couldn't resist. Hope you get your real answer soon.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm confused. I seem to be getting random Ball Saves while I have a ball in play ....then another ball is ejected onto the play field and I'm then playing with 2 balls. Is there another way to get a ball save other than draining? Is this a code or ruleset I'm not picking up on here or is this a bug or feature I can toggle on or off.

You need to do a better job of explaining what is happening in the game to give you a good answer. When the right out-lane is lit for "Escape", it will save your ball and put another into play on the pro model. Are you in a mode? Hyperspace multiball? Does it put two balls in the shooter lane?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

You need to do a better job of explaining what is happening in the game to give you a good answer. When the right out-lane is lit for "Escape", it will save your ball and put another into play on the pro model. Are you in a mode? Hyperspace multiball? Does it put two balls in the shooter lane?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OarR711YAE9PFO0rXCatPvs0O1n0ygBN/view?usp=sharing

Okay, I just did a video (click link above) on what's happening. I was on ball 2. Plunged playing Leia with Tatooine Lit. I was not in any multiball mode and just started the game about a minute ago. I shot the left ramp and it came down the left habitrail and immediately after dropping onto the playfield and going over the inner left lane rollover, a Ball save triggers and it launches another ball, so now there are two in play. I'm pretty sure I've had it happen with other characters too but it seems whenever I hit that left lane rollover, I get a save and another ball in play.

I'm wondering if it's a bad/dirty opto or loose plug or magnetized ball (I'm using the Stern supplied ones right now and they are brand new), or I'm just missing something ? Thanks for all your help, I'm new to the hobby so be gentle

#5 4 years ago

Are there still 2 opto boards in the front of the ball trough (next to the shooter lane, but under the playfield)? I’m not sure if that’s still the design on the newest Sterns but if so, that’s likely your problem. Unplug the connectors and plug them back in. That should solve it for at least awhile.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OarR711YAE9PFO0rXCatPvs0O1n0ygBN/view?usp=sharing
Okay, I just did a video (click link above) on what's happening. I was on ball 2. Plunged playing Leia with Tatooine Lit. I was not in any multiball mode and just started the game about a minute ago. I shot the left ramp and it came down the left habitrail and immediately after dropping onto the playfield and going over the inner left lane rollover, a Ball save triggers and it launches another ball, so now there are two in play. I'm pretty sure I've had it happen with other characters too but it seems whenever I hit that left lane rollover, I get a save and another ball in play.
I'm wondering if it's a bad/dirty opto or loose plug or magnetized ball (I'm using the Stern supplied ones right now and they are brand new), or I'm just missing something ? Thanks for all your help, I'm new to the hobby so be gentle

Looks to me like your left inlane rollover switch is flipped with the outlane switch.

EDIT: looked at video again and appears like the left outlane insert lights up when you hit the left inlane. Definitely looks like swapping the lane switches will fix it.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Are there still 2 opto boards in the front of the ball trough (next to the shooter lane, but under the playfield)? I’m not sure if that’s still the design on the newest Sterns but if so, that’s likely your problem. Unplug the connectors and plug them back in. That should solve it for at least awhile.

I'll check and see and try the suggestion (be right back)

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Looks to me like your left inlane rollover switch is flipped with the outlane switch.

as in physically switched wiring or something I can change in the service menu

#9 4 years ago

Physically. Swap the two switches. But do some glass off testing first. The left inlane is acting like it’s the outlane. So If you roll your finger over the left inlane and the left outlane insert lights up, that’ll be your issue.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

EDIT: looked at video again and appears like the left outlane insert lights up when you hit the left inlane. Definitely looks like swapping the lane switches will fix it.

Wow, good eye, I totally missed that!! Going to check now

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Physically. Swap the two switches. But do some glass off testing first. The left inlane is acting like it’s the outlane. So If you roll your finger over the left inlane and the left outlane insert lights up, that’ll be your issue.

Okay that's exactly what it is, each rollover trigger the other insert light. So now how do I swap these? They look to be two different plastic guides and would be opposite screw holes if flipped

20190605_093936 (resized).jpg20190605_093936 (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Swap the wires.

Ugh, I wanted to avoid soldering on day 2 of NIB ownership but I guess I'll have to...wonder how this slipped by quality control ?

#14 4 years ago

It looks like you can just swap them to me. They are just flipped. When you swap them flip them both and you should be all set

Remove, rotate 180 degrees and install in the opposite lane.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It looks like you can just swap them to me. They are just flipped. When you swap them flip them both and you should be all set
Remove, rotate 180 degrees and install in the opposite lane.

But if i take the one on the left (outerlane) (for example) and rotate it, the 2 screws will now be on the right instead of the left.

Are you talking about removing the rollover wire?

#16 4 years ago

It will work for 1 but not the other. I forget how Stern attaches the switch to the plastic part? If you can take that off you can just turn it.
If not, switch the wires. Just open the game and stare at it for a couple minutes and it will all come to you

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

But if i take the one on the left (outerlane) (for example) and rotate it, the 2 screws will now be on the right instead of the left.
Are you talking about removing the rollover wire?

Just the switch. The black box with the wire should be held into the white plastic with a clip.

#18 4 years ago

Okay, so re-soldering, does this look correct if i just swap the wires between the red and yellow lines?

switch (resized).jpgswitch (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Just the switch. The black box with the wire should be held into the white plastic with a clip.

It looks like the black switch is glued to the white plastic...

#21 4 years ago

SUCCESS!!!! quick solder and walla, glass off test and everything works perfectly now!!!!!!

You guys are all awesome, Big Thank you to Eskaybee for diagnosing the problem!

Man I can tell, this hobby is gonna suck me in

#22 4 years ago

Sweeeeeta!!!!!!

Enjoy the game. SW rocks!

#23 4 years ago

Great job Stern!

#24 4 years ago

You guys amaze me every time you can fix something by looking at a picture for 10 seconds.

#25 4 years ago

Honestly, you should complain to Stern and your distributor about this. This is the kinda thing that Stern allegedly tests for and should have been very easy to notice while going through a standard switch test at the factory

Best case scenario, they toss you some piece of free merch as an apology.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Honestly, you should complain to Stern and your distributor about this. This is the kinda thing that Stern allegedly tests for and should have been very easy to notice while going through a standard switch test at the factory
Best case scenario, they toss you some piece of free merch as an apology.

I'll take one Star Wars topper please

Yes, I did that and they are forwarding my info and video to Stern. I agree, why this wasn''t caught at QC testing is a little puzzling...although I couldn't figure it out right away as a new owner, many thanks to Pinside...Their are so many lights

#27 4 years ago

To Stern's and the Distributor's credit, they both got in touch with me and Stern is forwarding the info to their quality managers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 21.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-premium-nib-seemingly-random-ball-saves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.