• 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kermit24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Thumbs up.gif
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I haven't had a chance to play Star Wars Premium. Has the game improved significantly since launch? Is it holding up well?

It's a toss up between Batman 66 and Star Wars.

#2 4 years ago

I guess play it and see ? For me
Personally Star Wars is a fantastic game full of high speed and missions .. love it . And freaking hard !

#3 4 years ago

My family and I are big SW fans. A few years ago we initially went to a barcade for an evening to play with intent on purchasing one shortly after. We were disappointed and ended up buying a different new Stern. Down the road I had the chance to give the game more time, understand the rules and complexities including moving your shot multipliers. This changed my tune and it then a few months later became our next NIB purchase. The premium was definitely the right option for us. We've bought about 4-5 pins since our SW and I tend to float around playing variety, but my kids still come back to SW more than anything else. If you prefer slower simpler games then this is not for you.

#4 4 years ago

It’s a solid game.

A lot of players get turned off / confused by the mission stacking, moving multipliers and button smashing.

Turning off the mission stacking REALLY makes the game much more approachable and fun. The multipliers can be set to you most common shots and then you can adjust as you get more comfortable with the game.

I bought this game for the sole purpose to learn how to play it and have been pleasantly surprised.

#5 4 years ago

Outstanding game. Personal favorite. All of the video AND audio assets you would want from the original trilogy are there. Great rules, super intense game. Moving the multipliers is an extra challenge that you can focus on after you know the basic ruleset. The 4 location / planet multi-balls are very well done.

#6 4 years ago

It's great, but not for everyone. Don't be turned off if it seems confusing at first

#7 4 years ago

Great game, one of my favorites in my collection. The Hyperspace loop is one of the best toys in pinball in my opinion.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Great game, one of my favorites in my collection. The Hyperspace loop is one of the best toys in pinball in my opinion.

Yep. You won't forget the first time you load 3+ balls in there.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Any more info on the Hyperspace Loop? Is it used often?

#10 4 years ago

Thanks for the feed back!

I'm getting a Deadpool pro, and I feel like this game would compliment it well with the other games in my collection. The theme also resonates better with me since the Batman series was before my time. I don't want to get too much of the same, which I feel like Batman 66 would be too similar in length of play to Deadpool.

#11 4 years ago

I have both a BM66 and a SWprem as the only two modern games in my collection and personally I gravitate towards Star Wars about twice as much, but can't bring myself to choose BM66 as something to trade out for another game... so both are great. If you have Deadpool I think Star Wars would be a better complement. Deadpool is the only game I've considered replacing BM66 with but can't pull the trigger!

#12 4 years ago

Star Wars premium keeps pulling me back in. I've owned for 1.5 yrs and still find myself drawn to it. Yes, the hyperloop is used a lot. Not just in hyperspace hurry up and multiball, but also in modes. Whenever a mode ends in a launch into hyperspace (leaving Tatooine, cloud city, etc) the last shot is into the loop and it fires around. Also a great way to end a mode and immediately start a new one because the magnet holds it after it comes back around to initiate a death star mode (if qualified). BM 66 is a beautiful game, but for me the shots just aren't there and I've never really fallen in love with the turn table mech. If they had made a pro version without it, I'd be all over it. But I don't think you could go wrong with either theme. However, with a Deadpool, having your only two games by the same designer will feel a bit stale. It is good to have games with different designers and coders in you collection, especially in a small one.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

However, with a Deadpool, having your only two games by the same designer will feel a bit stale. It is good to have games with different designers and coders in you collection, especially in a small one.

I agree. Deadpool will be my first Gomez, Dialed In gives me my Lawlor fix, and I think Star Wars is the Richie game that has what I like in a pin.

#14 4 years ago

SW's is an incredible pinball journey that transcends the typical rule-set/code. This title is a compliment to modern pinball, as the complexities of SW's interact w/ each mode selection. The video mode & tie fighter assault add another dimension of arcade interaction. In addition, the multipliers, four character selection & the hyperspace loop simply add to the mind blowing SW's atmosphere. The Steve Richie flow screams speed, that necessitates the SW's lightning action w/ silver ball quick-moving speed.

Has SW's Premium gotten better? Yes, SW's Premium is absolutely a top three title that will fulfill your pinball rush craving! It's simply pinball at it's finest!

#15 4 years ago

It's solid the code has improved significantly since start most of major code bugs it had in the start have been removed.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

I think Star Wars is the Richie game that has what I like in a pin.

I agree, I think Star Wars Premium would fit well in your collection. Like others have said after a year and a half after initial release I am still loving this game. It really does draw you in for that one more game feeling. It is a very difficult game-so you may want to purchase a cup for protection so it does not kick you in the nuts too hard. I personally do not care for BM66 because I cant relate to the theme from 60's and I feel the rotisserie is clunky. I prefer BDK-better game imo. SW LE is in my top five and other Sterns that may fit well are Ghostbusters LE, X-MEN LE, and Metallica. Star Wars is excellent-you will not be disappointed.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Used during mode starts for Death Star, hyperspace hurry ups, the start of Hyperspace MB, and destroying the Death Star. Not sure if I’m forgetting other uses. I love that mech so much.

#18 4 years ago

Agreed that it's a solid game. I was not too impressed at first but it does play great. Shoots smooth and I really enjoy playing it. I love the shot multiplier that you can select which shot(s) to use it. It's something you can always use at any point in the game whether big or small. Only thing I really don't like is the video mode. It sure would be a lot more fun if you could shot things, collect things, or something to add a little variety. Dodging potatoes just gets old fast and not much incentive to do so.

BM66 is a great game as well but different. It's not as smooth as SW but code is better. If prices are equal, I would give BM66 the edge because it does such a good job with the theme and seems like more to explore with the villians.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Used during mode starts for Death Star, hyperspace hurry ups, the start of Hyperspace MB, and destroying the Death Star. Not sure if I’m forgetting other uses. I love that mech so much.

It’s good to hear some support from someone who doesn’t currently own Star Wars. Most of these opinion threads seem to be a “chime in” opportunity from current owners. Rare to see a current owner give any negative comments. I’m hoping to trade an original HUO SM for a Star Wars Pro someday. Eric, do you think I should pony up even more cash and look for a premium instead?

Added over 4 years ago:

Erik... damn typo.

#20 4 years ago

I've owned a SW Premium last year that I bought NIB. It was a love/hate relationship with that pin. I'm a huge SW fan, loved the theme, loved the gameplay, code is Dwight's best work....except for my Premium I absolutely hated the plunger shot. No matter what and how I adjusted the plunger, mech, ball guides, level, pitch, whatever, two thirds of the plunger shots ended up in the left outlane area. Frustrated the crap out of me! Non-pinhead guest would come over to visit, get drawn into by the lure of Star Wars, and walk away disappointed as it seemed all the machine would do was drain to the left. Sold it after about 4 months.....

About a month ago our local arcade BumperNets put a SW LE out to play. It plays 100% opposite of the way my Premium did, even though the gameplay is supposedly physically identical between the two pins. We have been playing the LE in league and tournaments ever since it has been set up and I have yet to see a single plunge -> triple target bank -> left outlane.....it plays fantastic, and really has me thinking about buying this one off of their floor to put in my home collection....

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I've owned a SW Premium last year that I bought NIB. It was a love/hate relationship with that pin. I'm a huge SW fan, loved the theme, loved the gameplay, code is Dwight's best work....except for my Premium I absolutely hated the plunger shot. No matter what and how I adjusted the plunger, mech, ball guides, level, pitch, whatever, two thirds of the plunger shots ended up in the left outlane area.

First time I played Star Wars (a Pro, I believe), the same thing happened to me - on FOUR consecutive balls. Sure, I could've tried nudging to prevent it, but I shouldn't have to do that on a plunge. Turned me off of the game for awhile.

I then played another Pro on-site at a couple of other places (including a drive-in theater, of all places) and it played completely different with no left outlane drains and was fun. So I'm torn on whether I like Star Wars or not now...

#22 4 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Star Wars Premium is on its way.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Star Wars Premium is on its way.

Thumbs up.gifThumbs up.gif
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

This. That loop is incredible. I sold my game as it wasn’t really for my family, but I thought the game was fun.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

This. That loop is incredible. I sold my game as it wasn’t really for my family, but I thought the game was fun.

Well at least you joined the BUTDS (blow up the.....) club before you sold. Not a hard to get or an elite club, but a fun club to join. I try to join it every time I hit start.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

It’s good to hear some support from someone who doesn’t currently own Star Wars. Most of these opinion threads seem to be a “chime in” opportunity from current owners. Rare to see a current owner give any negative comments. I’m hoping to trade an original HUO SM for a Star Wars Pro someday. Eric, do you think I should pony up even more cash and look for a premium instead?

If you got the extra cash, do it. Adds such a great feeling to the game. But you’re getting an awesome game with the pro too.

But get the premium.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

I think the hyperspace loop is a disappointment. The only actual rule it seems to have is to build a jackpot at the start of hyperspace multiball. I wish it had more rules to it. Otherwise balls just loop around at certain points in the game, but that does not contribute to anything extra for having that happen.

Rob

#28 4 years ago

It's not just about the Hyperloop. That fork ramp that lifts up is one of the most satisfying shots in all of pinball. Hard(ish) but man does it feel good to have magnets whip the ball around whenever you hit it.

#29 4 years ago

After finding the Pro to leave me feeling remarkably underwhelmed, the Premium actually wasn't bad, so I guess that's something.

3 months later
#30 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image]

Thinking about getting a premium instead of Elvira. I don’t like all the problems Elvira is having. Seems very rushed. I’m pretty good at pinball. What’s your take on Star Wars

#31 4 years ago

Following this and comparing to other games on my list like Jurassic Park, jjp potc or Wonka.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Thinking about getting a premium instead of Elvira. I don’t like all the problems Elvira is having. Seems very rushed. I’m pretty good at pinball. What’s your take on Star Wars

I think it comes down to what theme would resonate with you the best. For me I grew up with Star Wars and it has made a huge impression in my life. I can still picture my Star Wars bed sheets as a kid. When you are into a theme it makes it more enjoyable and seems to have a longer lasting enjoyment. I recently had a Dialed In and I really enjoyed the layout and gameplay but the theme fell short for me and it eventually got old quick. I have owned Star Wars for two years now and it has not gotten old. I love the orchestrated soundtrack, animations from movies, and the overall challenge. It is a difficult game and the ball speed is lightning quick. Some people do not care for the video modes but I actually think they are some of the best in pinball. Smashing tie-fighters is a true risk v.s. reward having to take your hands off flippers. Asteroid field video mode is challenging as you try and maximize with hyperspeed-it is repetitive but still a challenge and fun. The thing that is great about Star Wars is the rule set and layout mesh well. There are so many different ways of trying to get to the Emperor that it is almost endless with strategies and keeps you wanting to try different ways. Just like a game of chess-where strategy is key.

I will say even if you are a good player, it still is a very difficult game. I think it is a game that you need to set up as 5 ball in the home environment in order to make significant advancements. I have not even gotten close to Battle the Emperor and I am lucky to destroy the Death Star(BTW-one of the best feelings in all of pinball).

One day I decided I wanted to see what Battle the Emperor wizard mode was like so I took the glass off and used my hands to get to wizard mode. I honestly think it is the coolest wizard mode I have ever seen. The GI lights change a cool blue as electricity circles around and makes an electrifying sound. If you own a Star Wars-you need to check it out. I really enjoy difficult games because they never seem to get old and wanting to advance further keeps you wanting more and makes you push that start button over and over.

Hope that helps-I love Star Wars-one of Ritchie's best titles for sure.

#33 4 years ago

I wanted to ask was thinking about SW. Played it on location (not knowing the rules) and didn't get the feel, but maybe knowing the rules better I'll click with me. I have since watched a lot of tutorial videos and got a better feel for the rules.

However the only thing that I probably can't stand would be the video mode. I only wish it was not in the code or it was an option to skip (take points) or disable it in the menu. Not sure it that is what will prevent me from buying one. Is the video mode is as bad as it looks?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I wanted to ask was thinking about SW. Played it on location (not knowing the rules) and didn't get the feel, but maybe knowing the rules better I'll click with me. I have since watched a lot of tutorial videos and got a better feel for the rules.
However the only thing that I probably can't stand would be the video mode. I only wish it was not in the code or it was an option to skip (take points) or disable it in the menu. Not sure it that is what will prevent me from buying one. Is the video mode is as bad as it looks?

It's not really that bad, but you end up playing it a lot. You can reduce the time to 15s.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

It's not really that bad, but you end up playing it a lot. You can reduce the time to 15s.

It might be the most frequently played video mode ever.

#36 4 years ago

Home environment is where star wars belongs...Most location pins I come across suck especially star wars, always slow hanky dirty and broken...

This game never gets old.. I am approaching 4000 games on it and always feel compelled to just keep pushing start... One game you'll feel unstoppable and in a blink your draining hard... But it's the most palm sweat inducing adrenal rush in Pinball... Oh man and when set up properly with a proper death star shot... Just doesn't get any better... I do have a JP on the way though

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It might be the most frequently played video mode ever.

I think you are overthinking the video mode. You will play it once or twice per average game. Sure, if you blow it up, you will play it a few more times, but it is a good break as this game is very fast and intense. Also, getting a 40x video mode and going for perfect is a rush in of itself. Use the middle button to speed up the ship, its fun. Much better than the GOT video mode or really anything I have seen recently. Dwight said he modeled it after Gyruss, and it does have a Gyruss feel the way the falcon moves.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think you are overthinking the video mode. You will play it once or twice per average game. Sure, if you blow it up, you will play it a few more times, but it is a good break as this game is very fast and intense. Also, getting a 40x video mode and going for perfect is a rush in of itself. Use the middle button to speed up the ship, its fun. Much better than the GOT video mode or really anything I have seen recently. Dwight said he modeled it after Gyruss, and it does have a Gyruss feel the way the falcon moves.

Thank, maybe it’s not that bad.

My deal is just not liking video modes period. But can tolerate in small doses like AFM where I get if hardly ever.

Also it just strikes me as redundant as it’s in the movie only one time. IJ has a few different video modes iirc.

Might have liked it more if once was asteroids second was trench run where you play as X-wing or something different than repeating the same game over and over and over.

Guess I’ll need to live with it if I get SW, unless Dwight makes an option to skip (that a random point award or something).

#39 4 years ago

I ended up buying this and selling it. I thought the death star shot ruined the game. It feeds the hyperloop, is instrumental for starting and finishing modes, but it was engineered poorly. It is not a "hard" shot. Hard shots are makable. This is a broken shot. You can get a PERFECT hit on it and it will reject.

If it weren't for that, I would've enjoyed the game a whole lot more. The hyperspace loop is awesome. I actually enjoyed the rules, and the assets that were integrated into the game.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

You can get a PERFECT hit on it and it will reject.

probably just needed to adjust the entrance ramp up or down......

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

I ended up buying this and selling it. I thought the death star shot ruined the game. It feeds the hyperloop, is instrumental for starting and finishing modes, but it was engineered poorly. It is not a "hard" shot. Hard shots are makable. This is a broken shot. You can get a PERFECT hit on it and it will reject.
If it weren't for that, I would've enjoyed the game a whole lot more. The hyperspace loop is awesome. I actually enjoyed the rules, and the assets that were integrated into the game.

I wonder if the pro is any good miss out on hyper loop but might get a smoother game like TWD pro.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

probably just needed to adjust the entrance ramp up or down......

I did and it improved the shot but still way to finicky for how much it is used in the game.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I wonder if the pro is any good miss out on hyper loop but might get a smoother game like TWD pro.

I'm a huge fan of the pro. Death Star is still not an easy shot, but if you hit it, it never rejects, and it can be backhanded. And my Hoth shot is smooth as butter...no smacking the silly forks that do not move out of the way quick enough. The hyperloop is ok...but I can't stand it hanging over the flippers, and you do not really interact with it other than loading the balls. I like smacking the ball out of the "trap" to start hyperspace multiball and get jackpots on the pro instead. The pro just looks and plays more "cleanly" in my opinion.

The other premium stuff is not a big deal to me either. The virtual ball save is just as quick as the physical gate (and never has issues). The cracking egg Death Star is downright silly looking on the premium. The lightshow when you blow it up on the pro is just as effective, and less cheesy (again, just my opinion).

This is one pro that gets written off way to quickly.

#44 4 years ago

I loved the pro while I had it. It lasted well over a year in my collection, and with my pinball ADHD that's a fairly long time. Deep deep game with difficult shots, and so frustrating I just kept playing game after game after game.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

I loved the pro while I had it. It lasted well over a year in my collection, and with my pinball ADHD that's a fairly long time. Deep deep game with difficult shots, and so frustrating I just kept playing game after game after game.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

I'm a huge fan of the pro. Death Star is still not an easy shot, but if you hit it, it never rejects, and it can be backhanded. And my Hoth shot is smooth as butter...no smacking the silly forks that do not move out of the way quick enough. The hyperloop is ok...but I can't stand it hanging over the flippers, and you do not really interact with it other than loading the balls. I like smacking the ball out of the "trap" to start hyperspace multiball and get jackpots on the pro instead. The pro just looks and plays more "cleanly" in my opinion.
The other premium stuff is not a big deal to me either. The virtual ball save is just as quick as the physical gate (and never has issues). The cracking egg Death Star is downright silly looking on the premium. The lightshow when you blow it up on the pro is just as effective, and less cheesy (again, just my opinion).

Thanks.

I understand premium guys will love the premium features but I own Met pro and TWD pro and Maiden pro and they get the job done.

#46 4 years ago

i'm just going to put this out there in regards to the premium hyperloop and why it is so special (at least to me). I have wanted a Getaway (steve richie) pin for a while now. I always thought the supercharger was one of the coolest toys in pinball history (maybe i'm boring). I could never come across one i liked for the price, so it never happened.

BOOM Stern Star Wars released. This hyperdrive loop is 5X cooler than the Getway supercharger, plus with the new depth and ruleset of this generation. It was win win for me, i get one of the best toys ever (IMO), plus the star wars theme (awesome), plus a steve richie fast flowy layout (yes).

anyways, just my thoughts on why the hyperdrive loop sells itself.

Nothing wrong with the pro, but it lacks what makes this machine so special. It is the only premium i might argue for vs a pro.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Agree 100%. The Death Star and Hoth shots are so much better on the Pro and are frustrating on the Premium because of the fork which doesn't seem like it was designed properly. If I were to pick up this game it would be a Pro model just because I think it plays better/smoother.

#48 4 years ago

If you haven't picked one yet I'd go with MB66. Best coded Stern I've ever played. I bought a SW Premium NIB and sold it a year later. Haven't missed it a single second. Just one man's opinion.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

If you haven't picked one yet I'd go with MB66. Best coded Stern I've ever played. I bought a SW Premium NIB and sold it a year later. Haven't missed it a single second. Just one man's opinion.

I can’t get into BM66. Best code in a poor layout is not for me.

#50 4 years ago

Star Wars premium is by far the best pins i ever played, the adrenaline rush when playing multiple multiball in the same time is incredible and especialy hyperspace multiball. The hyperloop and the raising ramp are the best toys of any pinballs in existence.

Code and rules are deep and easy to learn and understand in the same time, i always feel in complete control of what is happening on the playfield. Thanks for the nice colors coded inserts.

Bought this pin 2 years ago and i still have the same fun and want to play again. Never beat the Emperor but was close many time. It's a hard pin to beat and i like that.

I feel in love at the first moments i saw video of the premium, i looked at the video many many hours without being boring. I was shocked when players made the hyperloop shoot and hyperspace multiball, immersion sounds are perfect.

A Steve Ritchie fast and superb layout, the playfield is completely packed, no rubber shots anywhere, there's always something the ball hit at any time. Star Wars theme could not be better. Atrwork is beautiful and variety of possible different games via 4 characteres is genius.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-premium-gotten-better?hl=m00nmuppet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.