Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Apologies for another "this or that" thread.

Which would you choose?

#2 3 years ago

Star Wars by far. Wonka lasted 3 weeks here, awful and generic game. Star Wars has a ton of modes, hyperloop is amazing, great strategy.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Star Wars by far. Wonka lasted 3 weeks here, awful and generic game. Star Wars has a ton of modes, hyperloop is amazing, great strategy.

Star Wars pro... the premium and LE dont play as well IMO and are a pain in the ass to get working and playing 100%(and yes I had one)

And Wonka is by far the best JJP game ( from a playability standpoint) and they didnt make a ton of them.

With both games it will take time to learn and get good at them, neither are "easy"

#4 3 years ago

split so far, not really helping me here! thanks guys

#5 3 years ago

Looking at your current collection, I'd say Wonka.

I'm not a huge fan of either, but I found SW particularly less enjoyable than other newer Sterns.

It's all about the ridiculous multiplier levels to boost your score. Multipliers are not the whole game, but it makes the scoring really suck.

If you like hyper loop, Nascar has a similar feature for a lot less money. I personally think Pirates is the best JJP game, although I haven't played GnR yet.

I think JP (which you sold) is superior to SW.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Looking at your current collection, I'd say Wonka.
I'm not a huge fan of either, but I found SW particularly less enjoyable than other newer Sterns.
It's all about the ridiculous multiplier levels to boost your score. Up to 24X. Multipliers are not the whole game, but it makes the scoring really suck.
If you like hyper loop, Nascar has a similar feature for a lot less money. I personally think Pirates is the best JJP game, although I haven't played GnR yet.
I think JP (which you sold) is superior to SW.

Do the multipliers go up in increments of 1? What sort of things activate the multipliers? I sold JP because every game felt the same, very repetitive, though the layout was spectacular. Thanks

#7 3 years ago

Star Wars. I cant get into the Wonka theme.

#8 3 years ago

I've had both, Wonka by a mile...I like the theme of SW better, but the game is too cheap with the drains, when you get that great game going, it's a rush for sure, but hyperloop rejects kill that feeling of "Oh I hit that shot".

Wonka grows on you, it's so f'n smooth with flow, like pure butter. And it's got real depth to it; I always thought SW was complicated with the code, like too complicated, not in a good way.

#9 3 years ago

SW and it's not even close.

#10 3 years ago

Star Wars Premium is a great game for home use as long as you don't suck at pinball. If you do, Wonka.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do the multipliers go up in increments of 1? What sort of things activate the multipliers?

They go up by 1 with each hit of the 3 bank target, up to 20X. There is also an award that doubles them available as an award for knocking down the drop target bank, raising them to 40X.
They start with 3 shots being multiplied, and as the multiplication goes up the amount of shots going down....so when you goose it all the way up only 1 shot is lit.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

I sold JP because every game felt the same, very repetitive, though the layout was spectacular.

Ha I was the exact same way. It all seemed sort of mundane to me for some reason.

#12 3 years ago

Wonka by far... Wonka is completely underrated, especially for home use.

#13 3 years ago

Who is your target audience? I love SW but it is fast and can be brutal. I personally enjoy the rules, multipliers and different paths you can take but it can be a punishing experience. If I owned one I imagine I would spend some time dialling in the ball guides to reduce the cheap drains from the orbits and horseshoe.

Wonka on the other hand is a slower but flows like butter. I am still trying to learn the rules to Wonka but I certainly enjoy flipping it any time I get a chance to. It is also a much more whimsical experience if that is something that appeals to you.

If I could only have 1 I'd take Wonka.

#14 3 years ago

Both games can be brutal. Star Wars is a much better theme and includes the iconic scenes with audio from the movies. Getting multiple balls in the hyper loop is one of the most satisfying shots in pinball. In my opinion the only downside of SW is the video mode.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Star Wars Premium is a great game for home use as long as you don't suck at pinball. If you do, Wonka.

I agree with you on Star Wars but Wonka is not an easy game... by JJP standards its the hardest game they have.

Its far from JJPs usual hit anything and the game goes batshit and gives you multiball and a seizure.

#16 3 years ago

Where the hell is the poll so I can pick Sfar Wars premium?

#17 3 years ago

Sw...no contest

#18 3 years ago

Both!

I have had both since Wonka launch and like them equally for their own strengths.

Star Wars is my absolute favorite game. The combination of theme integration, shot variety and just pure adrenaline is unmatched, IMO. It really has that one more game quality. "I know I could have executed those shots better or moved the multiplier more effectively" or something that gets me to push start again.

They both can drain cheaply. It can be avoided on both but unsuspecting players will be like "what the heck, that sucked".

Wonka is pure imagination. Such a beautiful looking and playing game. Every shot is like butter. Easier, longer games IMO

With SW you get to choose your destiny for modes. Wonka is much more random. You can't really pick whats next like you can on SW.

Tons to do on SW but more to do on Wonka for sure. Not that it matters, I've had the game since launch and still haven't seen the back quarter of Wonka's modes. I think most people that hate on SW have never played one that is setup decently or they don't understand the basics of the game and what modes to pick when. A 2 minute overview from a friend of mine took me from being "meh" to the game to it being one of my favorites.

Build quality - JJP games are just built better. The cabinets are stronger and can't be flexed like a Stern game, it just feels more substantial.

Wonka is "prettier". The huge screen, rainbow of LEDs under 100s of inserts. Just spectacular.

Wonka seems to be more approachable to non-pinheads. My wife just loves Wonka and does not push start on SW as much (read not at all). Not sure if this means anything to you.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would have a hard time picking which one would stay. I personally like playing SW more but I suspect Wonka would stay due to my wife liking to play it with me.

For now, they are both bolted to the floor.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Its far from JJPs usual hit anything and the game goes batshit and gives you multiball and a seizure.

That's actually the rules for Wonka, just hit stuff in any order to accomplish things. It couldn't leave fast enough.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I agree with you on Star Wars but Wonka is not an easy game... by JJP standards its the hardest game they have.

I didn't mean Wonka was easy. Star Wars premium is only good if you are decent pinballer. Wonka on the other hand delivers the same experience regardless. It is kind of ok if you're good and kind of ok if you're just flipping the ball around. A good pinballer will like Star Wars better. Just my opinion.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

That's actually the rules for Wonka, just hit stuff in any order to accomplish things. It couldn't leave fast enough.

Huh? Its called stacking.

Oh, you want a game that is linear so you can pick it all up in 5 minutes like AFM (as in hit each shot 5 times and shoot the giant thing up the middle)

There are many ways to play Wonka and thats part of the appeal but its far from slap the ball around and score well.. if you do you are dead.

People who have owned the game for a year are still talking about the rules in the Wonka thread and still dont get it there is so much going on.

And its a hard game to begin with...

#22 3 years ago

Thanks guys really good feedback, though I am still completely torn haha.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Ideally you need to play them somewhere... they couldnt be more different.

I think they are two of the best games that have come out last few years but they have zero in common.

And Id still buy a SW pro over the premium. The loopy thing is cool but Im not a cat and its not worth 2k

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

After peaking at your collection I feel you would be best served with a different manufacturer. Variety is the spice of life. Nothing against Jersey Jack but I feel you’re kind of limiting yourself.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

After peaking at your collection I feel you would be best served with a different manufacturer. Variety is the spice of life. Nothing against Jersey Jack but I feel you’re kind of limiting yourself.

Yea I only have space for 2 games at my place so I am moving the Dialed In to make space for one of these.

#26 3 years ago

I still own both. Wonka by far.
Wonka shoots WAY better. I also find the Wonka rules far more intriguing.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

I still own both. Wonka by far.
Wonka shoots WAY better. I also find the Wonka rules far more intriguing.

Could you tell me more about why the rules are more intriguing? thanks!

#28 3 years ago

I’ll post a little later but SW gets my vote.

Hear is a video to watch to get acquainted with SW rules multipliers etc.

#29 3 years ago

I own them both(comic premium for SW). If you go SW I definetly prefer comic art. I LOVE both games. SW is harder but deeper in modes. Super fast shooter. Wonka is a smooth shooter as well but not as fast. Theres more shots in wonka than SW. The modes arent quite as good as SW, but overall the game is incredible. Really cant go wrong on either.

If I had to say which would never leave my lineup it would be SW on theme.

#30 3 years ago

I will preface this by saying that everyone likes different pins.

I like fast games that are tough as nails, but still like more laid back long ball pins like SM or ST.

I have 11 pins now but have owned a lot over these 15 years.

I was looking to buy a pin 18 months ago and settled on SW premium but was considering all the other pins like JP, DP, Wonka, BM66, EHOH and lots of others. I really like SW (especially the premium). The SW pro is fun too but the hyper loop toy puts it over the top.

SW :

I love that you get different paths to play with different characters who have different abilities that makes the game so great to explore and play different modes. You can pick the modes you want to play. I have stacking off so that I can experience each mode more fully but there is the option to stack so that may be something I will play around with later on.

I love the theme and the movie clips so much that is a big plus and I like that the game is fast and brutal. I know that makes it hard to get deep for me but there is so much to see the code is both deep and wide in that so many different modes can be played on the first ball.

I know some don't love the multiplier shot but I love it, not that I would want it in more games but just this one game it's great. Makes it an event when you can get a 200M point shot even if you are not too deep you get a rush hitting something with 20x (or 40x).

I had Wonka in my basement for a month and I really didn't like it too much, played a lot more EHOH like that better. I like the way Wonka shoots but the rules are kind of off base at least to me, I never know what I'm trying to do. I prefer something like EHOH, ST, SW many other games where the modes are clearly delineated and segregated. I suppose that maybe if I played Wonka more it might come around for me. I mean Woz was that way for me that I grew to like it as the years past but to step right up and play it wasn't as much fun and I greatly prefer DI and to me think DI is much better. But opinions may vary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 21.50
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-prem-vs-wonka-se and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.