You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-718.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi guys,

I recently bought a SW which is pretty clean except for some planking on a section of the playfield.

image-718.jpgimage-718.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Is there a way to fix this? Would a clear-coat fix it completely? (would the "lines" remains apparent under the clear-coat?) I guess it would at least prevent the damages to extend.

I also saw this interesting article on pinball rehab : http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/205-repairing-clear-coated-playfield-planking

Anyone has experience with these kinds of techniques?

Thanks!
wspy

#2 10 years ago

Sure that is not the grain of the wood ?

#3 10 years ago

Actually, that's exactly what I was asking myself while writing the post. That being said, I'm feeling/seeing some kind of ridges while moving my finger across the surface...

#4 10 years ago

Anyone who could help...?

#5 10 years ago

Your options are live with it, pull and have it restored, or look for another and sell this one when you bet a better one.

It doesn't look bad, and I may be wrong, but a regular clearing of this PF might eliminate the issue without extensive work.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for your replies guys.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Your options are live with it, pull and have it restored, or look for another and sell this one when you bet a better one.
It doesn't look bad, and I may be wrong, but a regular clearing of this PF might eliminate the issue without extensive work.

It doesn't really look that bad indeed but I'm just worried it could extend/wear over time. By regular clearing, you mean a clear-coat?

Thanks again!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Agreed. Planking you can't do a thing for. All you can do is try try to stabilize it or pull the playfield out for a full restore.

Keep the game somewhere with controlled humidity and temp.

I also believe that keeping the playfield protected by a good application of quality wax will help stabilize.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Agreed. Planking you can't do a thing for. All you can do is try try to stabilize it or pull the playfield out for a full restore.
Keep the game somewhere with controlled humidity and temp.
I also believe that keeping the playfield protected by a good application of quality wax will help stabilize.

I'm not against removing the playfield for a full restore. Do you think a clear-coat would hide the planking "lines" or would they still be visible under the clear-coat?

Thanks!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from wspy:

I'm not against removing the playfield for a full restore. Do you think a clear-coat would hide the planking "lines" or would they still be visible under the clear-coat?
Thanks!

I can't answer that from experience, but my guess is that a clear would just "seal in" what's there, and not hide it.
You need a restoration fellow to actually sand down and rebuild the artwork. But again, that's just my guess. Not my area of expertise.

#10 10 years ago

For small lines, yes is my understanding. I don't think in a stable controlled room temperature it would get any worse. Maybe one of the restorers here will chime in.

#11 10 years ago

First question is if it has gotten down into the paint. Put some Naptha on it and see if everything looks good or it still looks like crap.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

First question is if it has gotten down into the paint. Put some Naptha on it and see if everything looks good or it still looks like crap.

Thanks for the reply Terry. How do you proceed with the Naptha? You put some on a piece of cloth and rub over the affected region?

#13 10 years ago

Yes.

#14 10 years ago

Didn't find the time to try this yet but I'll have a stop by Home Depot tonight to get Naptha and try it out.

I've looked deeper into it though and my guess is the paint is not affected (even though it may look otherwise on the pictures with the flash reflection). There's some really thin black lines in the white region but I guess some dirt got into the planking cracks.

So, if this turns out to be the case (i.e. paint not affected), what would be the next step?

Thanks again guys!

#15 10 years ago

I'd use a magic eraser and some Rubbing alchool 92+ and give it a good scrubbing (be careful you don't want to take the paint off but try and get in the tiny cracks. Since the area seems fairly even for colors (blues and blacks) I would paint over the affected areas. And then since you would have all the playfield off, I'd get it clear coated.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'd use a magic eraser and some Rubbing alchool 92+ and give it a good scrubbing (be careful you don't want to take the paint off but try and get in the tiny cracks. Since the area seems fairly even for colors (blues and blacks) I would paint over the affected areas. And then since you would have all the playfield off, I'd get it clear coated.

Not too bad indeed but there's still some ridges in the black and blue regions. Not sure I would be able to get rid of them completely without taking any paint off...

#17 10 years ago

well if you want to even the swell you will have to sand the paint down and put bondo in the places that create creavices.

1 month later
#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Sure that is not the grain of the wood ?

I ask this as a newb, but is it normal to see the grain of the wood in playfields, especially on lighter colored paints? I noticed what looked to be the grain on an Elvira and The Party Monsters I was looking at, mostly on the skulls in the outlane. I'm hoping it's not planking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-planking-what-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.