Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Giladla
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sw2 (resized).jpg
    sw1 (resized).jpg
    sw3 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    dt1 (resized).jpg
    dt3 (resized).jpg
    dt2 (resized).jpg
    inside_backbox (resized).jpg
    switch test pic (resized).jpg
    switch matrix (resized).jpg
    back board (resized).jpg
    bar target area (resized).jpg
    20180910_164559 (2) (resized).jpg
    20180910_164505 (2) (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

hell to all,
    i need help repairing my data east star wars machine.
    it all started when the death star yellow target worked on and off and then stopped working for good. i bough a new part, and replaced the old one but still, the sensor which is triggered by touch does not respond at all.
    any one have any idea on where to search for a solution next ?
    thanks
    Gilad

#2 5 years ago

Did you solder the switch in correctly?
    Is there a diode correctly installed?
    Are you testing the switch in test mode?
    Have you consulted the manual on ipdb.org to look at the switch matrix wiring?

#3 5 years ago

thank you very much for the quick reply
    1. i think i have solded it correctly, will post pictures.
    2. the bar is brand new and comes with a diode
    3. not sure on how to test the switch and what to do with results
    4. looked at the manual but do not know how to read the related switch matrix wiring.
    am a novice into fixing pinballs...
    pls take a look at the images attached.

20180910_164505 (2) (resized).jpg20180910_164505 (2) (resized).jpg20180910_164559 (2) (resized).jpg20180910_164559 (2) (resized).jpg
    #4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Giladla:

4. looked at the manual but do not know how to read the related switch matrix wiring.

You are looking for the basic "switch matrix" chart, not any schematics.

You can enter switch test pressing the pushbutton on the inside of the cabinet. I think it's the third test...

Once in that test, every switch passed should display as being pressed on the game display.

That's what you need to test your switch (and all the other switches in the game). The switch matrix chart is more for reference, in case you need to look to see what the next switch is in the wired daisy chain.

-Post results here...

#5 5 years ago

looks to me like you've got the white/blue wire on the wrong lug.

#6 5 years ago

ok,
    maybe getting there, think i need much more help though...
    so please be patient with me
    i see from the switch matrix chart, the bar target is switch 40 which matches the wires i solded wht-grey and green-black cn-8 and cn-10 on the main board.
    do i need to check the wires all the way to the mainboard? there are certain junctures btween the target and the main board, and main board looks ok. do i need to check the mainboard?
    how to best check the wires, with a tachometer? and from where to where?
    did the switch test, it does not show the switch as problematic, it did show the bar motor up but only because i raised it before in order to be able to touch the bar when raised, and activate the switch.

here are some more pics
    and
    thanks again
    Gilad

back board (resized).jpgback board (resized).jpgbar target area (resized).jpgbar target area (resized).jpginside_backbox (resized).jpginside_backbox (resized).jpgswitch matrix (resized).jpgswitch matrix (resized).jpgswitch test pic (resized).jpgswitch test pic (resized).jpg
    #7 5 years ago

wdennie,
    thanks for the reply,
    i have already tried switching btwn wires on the bar target and it didnt change anything, thought i solded by mistake the first time when it didnt work after replacing the part.
    take a look at the pictures of the part and if you think it was solded wrongly please instruct me on how to sold it correctly.

dt1 (resized).jpgdt1 (resized).jpgdt2 (resized).jpgdt2 (resized).jpgdt3 (resized).jpgdt3 (resized).jpg
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Giladla:

do i need to check the wires all the way to the mainboard?

No. If one was at fault, you would have 8 switches not registering, not just one switch.

Quoted from Giladla:

did the switch test, it does not show the switch as problematic

Wait, did the switch work when you tested it in the sw. test? You have to actually trip the switch (WHILE IN TEST). They system does not tell you of a sw. problem automatically.

Regarding the pictures of the sw. you posted, can you post a close up of another working, similar switch? (All alike switches will be wired similar in regard to the diode and 3 blades.) solid green/color vs. white/color.

If the sw. worked in test, then you are good to go.

I am very patient.

#9 5 years ago

You need to move the white wire to the top lug not the middle. Every thing else is OK.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #10 5 years ago

guys,
    please find pics of some other switches,
    they all show that the white wire is where the diod is connected while the green one stands alone.
    grumpy,
    you say bring the white wire to the top lug, what about the green one? just switch btwn the green and white? are you sure? i tried it before but no change, maybe i did not sold correctly.
    snyper2099,
    the switch did not trigger during the test cause i couldnt do a manual test when the death star target was up, maybe i do not know how to do it

thank you all for trying to help me,
    in an impatient world where time is money, it is not that easy to find pepole willing to help

sw1 (resized).jpgsw1 (resized).jpgsw2 (resized).jpgsw2 (resized).jpgsw3 (resized).jpgsw3 (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

You need to move the white wire to the top lug not the middle. Every thing else is OK.

This is correct. BANDED side of diode should have -no wire-. Move wire to the top lug.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Giladla:

snyper2099,
    the switch did not trigger during the test cause i couldnt do a manual test when the death star target was up, maybe i do not know how to do it

Sure you can...

-Get the game how you need it so you can trigger the switch.
    -Put game in switch test.
    -Trigger the switch.

#13 5 years ago

ok,
    so just to clarify,
    white wire to the top and green in the middle?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Giladla:

ok,
    so just to clarify,
    white wire to the top and green in the middle?

No, NOTHING on middle lug.

#15 5 years ago

Have solded white wire on top, green wire on bottom ,empty in the middle.
    Nothing changed, still not working.
    Any idea on what to do next, could the diod need to be replaced? It is A new part

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Giladla:

Have solded white wire on top, green wire on bottom ,empty in the middle.
    Nothing changed, still not working.
    Any idea on what to do next, could the diod need to be replaced? It is A new part

Can you enter sw. test to confirm that this is the only problematic sw.?

If yes-->

Now that you have the sw. wired correctly,
    Next step would be to look at that "z" plug at the end of that assembly and test for continuity with a meter.

Shorting the two switch wires together in switch test should get you a response. If not... you will need to look for the next "hops" for those two wires under the play field. One of the wires may have shaken loose from it's previous switch hop. May have to cut some zip ties.

-May have to refer to the switch matrix in the manual to determine these next "hops" of these GRN/BLK and WH/BLU wires.

Further upstream, if you momentarily short those two pins in the head at the connector (with a paperclip or something), you should get a response for the switch in question, in the switch test. If not, YOU got a board problem.

Isn't this fun!

#17 5 years ago

snyper2099
    will try and do that
    tnx so much for the help
    will update

#18 5 years ago

hello everyone,
    finally got it fixed
    traced the grn-blk wire and found a cut.
    fixed that and all is working well.
    thanks for the help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-pinball-repair-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.